No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited January 2019 Posts: 17,241
    peter wrote: »
    re: the Norway incentives. That's about 5 million dollars US?

Yep. $5.4m. In contrast, the Mexico tax incentives for SP were $20m.

Wow, that's quite a difference. So I guess with EoN pouring in a little money, we're looking at a spectacular PTS and/or a a stylish sequence that's plot-heavy/action-lite? As an uneducated guess.

Who knows? Snømannen (The Snowman) – set and shot entirely (I think) in Norway, got 40,5m in 2016. Mission Impossible: Fallout was offered 6m for the bit shot at Preikestolen.

The incentives offered is the largest ever for one production, so that means the film institute is doing everything they can to get the production here, and/or that the 47m grant in some way reflects what EON have in mind.

_________
    Treadstone – the Jason Bourne spinoff series, didn't get any incentives.

Interesting, @Torgeirtrap ... as @RC7 noted, EoN's wanted to shoot in Norway for a while. I can't imagine too much of the production will be here (THE SNOWMAN'S total budget is probably worth an action sequence or two in a James Bond film), but there must be something specific planned to showcase an incredible locale.

Haha, yes – the total budget of The Snowman, was "only" $43.1 million. Far from the scale of a Bond production. The grant does however shows that the Film institute see this as a good opportunity to promote Norway in a big international production. I just hope Norway will be featured as Norway instead of India, as in Fallout (a film I've yet to watch).

It also depends on whether EON accepts the grant and move the production here. They might have wanted more funds for all we know.
    A shame that Bond always seems to be trailing in the competition's wake these days. Still, Norway could be good. Hopefully it is going to be well used.

In Fallout were the scenes shot in Norway set in Norway? I seem to remember those sections being set central Asia or somewhere like that.
    Getafix wrote: »
    In Fallout were the scenes shot in Norway set in Norway?.
    Hunt and his team never went to Norway. Norway and New Zealand doubled for India.

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Seydoux would not be back unless her role was meaningful and substantial.

Exactly.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    A shame that Bond always seems to be trailing in the competition's wake these days. Still, Norway could be good. Hopefully it is going to be well used.

In Fallout were the scenes shot in Norway set in Norway? I seem to remember those sections being set central Asia or somewhere like that.

As far as I remember only the end fight on the cliff was shot in Norway to doubled as Kashmir, India
  • Getafix wrote: »

As far as I remember only the end fight on the cliff was shot in Norway to doubled as Kashmir, India

What about the helicopter chase and the WHO camp? Was that Norway or New Zealand?
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    New Zealand.
    Haven't seen the film yet, guys! No spoilers! :-D

This couldn’t possibly be done well.
  • peterpeter Toronto

What? You didn’t know TC bit it in this one (and is resurrected in the upcoming sequel??)???
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Newspapers over here are reporting it now.

Edit: from Norsk Filminstitutts (NFI) own website:
    Produksjonene som tilbys tilskudd:

B25
    Format: Spillefilm
    Søker: Truenorth Norway v/Per Henry Borch
    Distribusjon: verdensomspennende kinodistribusjon
    Tilbudt tilskuddsramme: 47.025.000 kr

In short: B25 awarded 47.025.000 kr (£4.2m).

Per Henry Borch's IMDB page shows him as a location manager for most of the major film productions filmed in Norway over the last ten years. I think it's a pretty good sign Bond25 will be accepting the incentives and filming there.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

Why?

What? You didn’t know TC bit it in this one (and is resurrected in the upcoming sequel??)???

giphy.gif

:))
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,884
    There's no doubt that the production will film in Norway now that the grant has been given. Why else apply? And EON would accept almost any amount and 5 million USD is more than they could have hoped for (a record number, no less).

The only doubt I have is that maybe the project titled "B25" isn't actually Bond 25. But why would the NFI give a record sum of money to some random film that just so happens to sound like Bond 25 and is so secretive?
    If they're going to Norway, can we expect Ah-ha to reprise their title song duties?
    If they're going to Norway, can we expect Ah-ha to reprise their title song duties?

Morten: "Hey, Barbara! Call me!"

giphy.gif
    Just seen this for the first time. I'm one of those who thought TWOTW wasn't that bad.

Think this is rather nicely done. Nice montage of Craig's 4 entries so far.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A song completely undermined by its vocal.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 11,425
    I agree Smith's performance was night the right one for the song or film - but it's not a bad song. And works pretty well with that montage IMO.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

And "Daniel Craig is not Bond."

;)

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,311
    I still don't get the hate for that song. Is it the lyrics or the pitch (or what) that annoys some people?
    It’s Smith’s performance. And the Oscar given for political reasons only cheapens Skyfall’s deserved win.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I still don't get the hate for that song. Is it the lyrics or the pitch (or what) that annoys some people?

This is suited for another topic but briefly,
    The song is from Bond’s perspective, as such it is far to desperate, whiny, needy and submissive; the vocals only reinforce this.

Musically, it’s not bad at all.

• edited January 2019 Posts: 6,665

I simply hate Smith’s voice and the way he sings the song. Not the song. I’ve heard it interpretered by others and i’ve liked it. Sam Smith is abysmal.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 820

Pitch is probably closer to the answer. Agree, I think it's a lovely song -- but it does jump around conceptually quite a lot and I suspect that's what throws people.

TWOTW can't seem to decide whether it wants to be bombastic or, I guess, sentimental. I think it's trying to capture the best of "Skyfall" and "We Have All the Time in the World" in one song. Another modern comparable: "Another Way to Die", which seems—to me, anyways—an attempt to combine the spirits of Goldfinger and Live and Let Die in a single tune.

Whereas YKMN and Skyfall, which are (seemingly) the undisputed reigning songs of the Craig era, both have distinct identities behind them and stick to that spirit.

With TWOTW, we ended up having a constantly-shifting combination of sweeping romantic, haunting, bombastic Bond, and a sort of surprisingly vulnerable tenderness. The song arguably suffers under the weight of its own ambition. Which is a shame, because it's melodically lovely (and quite classic-Bond sounding to me), and Smith's performance is incredible. That's one talented, talented dude.

EDIT for B25 relevance: Another interesting question I have right now. What kind of song will B25 need? The film will dictate it, to an extent. But I'll be waiting with baited breath to find out if they aim for classic Bond in the SF vein or something more contemporary.

EDIT: Duplicate post.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    re: the Norway incentives. That's about 5 million dollars US?

Yep. $5.4m. In contrast, the Mexico tax incentives for SP were $20m.

Wow, that's quite a difference. So I guess with EoN pouring in a little money, we're looking at a spectacular PTS and/or a a stylish sequence that's plot-heavy/action-lite? As an uneducated guess.

It was pointed out on another site that it is 25 percent coverage of total costs for filming, meaning Bond 25 would have committed to spending approximately 20 million USD on Filming in Norway. Does this mean PTS or at least major screen time in the plot?
    I imagine Norway will be used for an action sequence. I can't see them shooting some dramatic scene in the fjords. So it might even just be second unit going to Norway. Yes it could be for the PTS, but who knows.
    Bentley007 wrote: »

It was pointed out on another site that it is 25 percent coverage of total costs for filming, meaning Bond 25 would have committed to spending approximately 20 million USD on Filming in Norway. Does this mean PTS or at least major screen time in the plot?

It's not insignificant, but doesn't exactly scream "a ton" of the overall (presumed) budget range for the film. I'd lean toward it being a sign it's for a particular sequence, like the PTS -- but then again, you could accomplish something quite stunning with a bit of location work combined with a Pinewood set, IE, for a villain's retreat or something.

• edited January 2019 Posts: 11,425
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Pitch is probably closer to the answer. Agree, I think it's a lovely song -- but it does jump around conceptually quite a lot and I suspect that's what throws people.

TWOTW can't seem to decide whether it wants to be bombastic or, I guess, sentimental. I think it's trying to capture the best of "Skyfall" and "We Have All the Time in the World" in one song. Another modern comparable: "Another Way to Die", which seems—to me, anyways—an attempt to combine the spirits of Goldfinger and Live and Let Die in a single tune.

Whereas YKMN and Skyfall, which are (seemingly) the undisputed reigning songs of the Craig era, both have distinct identities behind them and stick to that spirit.

With TWOTW, we ended up having a constantly-shifting combination of sweeping romantic, haunting, bombastic Bond, and a sort of surprisingly vulnerable tenderness. The song arguably suffers under the weight of its own ambition. Which is a shame, because it's melodically lovely (and quite classic-Bond sounding to me), and Smith's performance is incredible. That's one talented, talented dude.

EDIT for B25 relevance: Another interesting question I have right now. What kind of song will B25 need? The film will dictate it, to an extent. But I'll be waiting with baited breath to find out if they aim for classic Bond in the SF vein or something more contemporary.

I think it's a good song, but not performed for optimum impact. I think Smith could have done it better himself (in a lower pitch) or perhaps it just suits a female vocal better.

It's undermined by the lacklustre chemistry between Craig and Seydoux on screen as well.

Having said that, the brief use of the melody after the fight on the train elevates that sequence massively.