No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Fukunaga is a wunderkind, who frequently writes his own scripts, and has an excellent visual style. Mendes was an overrated bloke, who had a decent record and reputation, only because he picked scripts to direct very carefully. I'm hopeful Cary can breathe a bit of life back in to Bond after the dreariness of the last three.

Nonsense. American Beauty, Road to Perdition and Revolutionary Road are all masterfully directed films, not to mention that Fukunaga has only directed one thing that rivals these three films: True Detective.

I wouldn't agree @PanchitoPistoles . Great stories, but I didn't see any masterful direction in any of them. Most of the credit for their quality goes to the plot and stories. Of course the director has input in the way the story is framed, but Mendes has never developed a great story himself.

On the subject of Fukunaga not directing anything near that level, film wise, you should check out Beasts Of No Nation. Not a pleasant film, but an excellent one.

Beasts of No Nation written and directed by CIG and he was also the cinematographer is a much better film than anything Mendes has done imho. Furthermore, given the subject matter and that it's set in Ghana makes it all the more impressive and essentially nullifies CJF not being British not a good fit to direct a Bond film;(which has always been a dumb criteria to begin with as far as I'm concerned).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Nobody seems concerned we're 60 days out from filming and it looks like they haven't cast the villain.

Not in the least. There are films that continue casting throughout production.
    There is too much “ chicken Little, the sky is falling, fear on this board. I love that the cards are being held close to the vest.
    We , as fans may want more information, but we are not entitled to it.

I'll say it again. The will have probably cast the main roles already. We just don't know about it. And this is true about many other things.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    talos7 wrote: »
    Nobody seems concerned we're 60 days out from filming and it looks like they haven't cast the villain.

There is too much “ chicken Little, the sky is falling, fear on this board. I love that the cards are being held close to the vest.

But they certainly won't cast the villain during production, they need someone in place for the press conference in March 4th. Unless they really are getting secretive. :)
    Univex wrote: »
    I'll say it again. The will have probably cast the main roles already. We just don't know about it. And this is true about many other things.

+1
    YES!

It's not the casting people should be worried about. It's the script. The screenplay has pretty much always been the weakest link in Bond productions.
    talos7 wrote: »

But they certainly won't cast the villain during production, they need someone in place for the press conference in March 4th. Unless they really are getting secretive. :)

Sure, so as long as he or she is signed by the 3rd, all will be good. ;)

• Am I the only one who totally disagrees with this hype over Rami Mallek as a Bond villain? There's something about him that I don't like, and I don't know what it is. I just think he's not suit enough for the enigmatic role of a Bond villain, maybe it's he's age. Not sure.

I'm surprised.

He looks like a classic bond villain. He reminds me of the sort of the person Terence Young would cast back in the 1960s. He has such an intriguing look that screams baddie - those large bug eyes, that overly sharp jaw, the short cropped hair. There is something disconcerting about him.

Plus, if anyone hasn't seen Mr. Robot - please do! The best way to describe the show is 'Social Network meets Fight Club'. He plays an anxious and depressed computer hacker who is staging the takwdoen of the biggest multinational in the world. It's seriously punk and has a great soundtrack,

His performance is distancing and emotionally cold - nonetheless, he is laden with pathos and gives a heartbreakingly strong performance.

Any one in doubt should check this out:

My hope is that it can be worked out. The 'villain' role is always a flashy supporting part - so I imagine he won't be there for the entire shoot. I mean both Waltz and Bardem had around 25% of screentime (if not less). So maybe Malek would only need a month to film his entire role.
    This is a very good point; the screentime for the main villain may make an arrangement possible.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,114
    Yes, if the movie is shorter, then the villain could only have 15 - 20 minutes of screen time like Donald Pleansce or Mathieu Amariac or Dr No.

If they really want him, they can change things around do he can be there. He has expressed an interest, so it's possible at this stage.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Am I the only one who totally disagrees with this hype over Rami Mallek as a Bond villain? There's something about him that I don't like, and I don't know what it is. I just think he's not suit enough for the enigmatic role of a Bond villain, maybe it's he's age. Not sure.
    I have to agree. Fortunately it seems he is too busy.

IF they're goin to replace him with people like Taghmaoui or Riz Ahmed would be a shame.
    Am I the only one who totally disagrees with this hype over Rami Mallek as a Bond villain? There's something about him that I don't like, and I don't know what it is. I just think he's not suit enough for the enigmatic role of a Bond villain, maybe it's he's age. Not sure.

I'm surprised.

He looks like a classic bond villain. He reminds me of the sort of the person Terence Young would cast back in the 1960s. He has such an intriguing look that screams baddie - those large bug eyes, that overly sharp jaw, the short cropped hair. There is something disconcerting about him.

My hope is that it can be worked out. The 'villain' role is always a flashy supporting part - so I imagine he won't be there for the entire shoot. I mean both Waltz and Bardem had around 25% of screentime (if not less). So maybe Malek would only need a month to film his entire role.

+1.

He also has this kind of creepy charm that could work really good for a villain. In Bohemian Rhapsody he also showed a really touching sweetness, plus a very strong screen charisma. Malek can do pretty much everything and I remember him also in a cool supporting role in The Master by the great PTA.

I'm surprised.

Plus, if anyone hasn't seen Mr. Robot - please do! The best way to describe the show is 'Social Network meets Fight Club'. He plays an anxious and depressed computer hacker who is staging the takwdoen of the biggest multinational in the world. It's seriously punk and has a great soundtrack,

His performance is distancing and emotionally cold - nonetheless, he is laden with pathos and gives a heartbreakingly strong performance.

Malek's looks reminds me a bit of Vladek Sheybal's Kronsteen – a character I wish had more screen time in FRWL (love every moment of Sheybal's performance). There's nothing missing in Malek's acting ability either, IMO – and I'm sure he could be a good fit for the right kind of villain part. I just hope they write the villain part for Bond 25 better than in SP, and that the villain's scheme is a good one.
    It's not the casting people should be worried about. It's the script. The screenplay has pretty much always been the weakest link in Bond productions.

Yes.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    jake24 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »

IF they're goin to replace him with people like Taghmaoui or Riz Ahmed would be a shame.

I'm surprised.

+1.

He also has this kind of creepy charm that could work really good for a villain. In Bohemian Rhapsody he also showed a really touching sweetness, plus a very strong screen charisma. Malek can do pretty much everything and I remember him also in a cool supporting role in The Master by the great PTA.
    I hope not. Riz annoys the hell out of me.

True. Plus he just did the "villainous young cyber billionaire" in Venom. I don't see EoN goin for him.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541

I'm surprised.

Malek's looks reminds me a bit of Vladek Sheybal's Kronsteen – a character I wish had more screen time in FRWL (love every moment of Sheybal's performance). There's nothing missing in Malek's acting ability either, IMO – and I'm sure he could be a good fit for the right kind of villain part. I just hope they write the villain part for Bond 25 better than in SP, and that the villain's scheme is a good one.

Well said totally agree on kronsteen he has some sort of resemblance.

I'm surprised.

+1.

True. Plus he just did the "villainous young cyber billionaire" in Venom. I don't see EoN goin for him.

And who knows, they might hire his Venom costar for Bond 26. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I'm surprised.

+1.

Count me in as someone who dislikes Riz Ahmed as well. He was in the last Bourne film too and didn't make an impression for me there either.

I'm neither here nor there on Malek. I don't know enough about him to formulate an opinion either way. He has a very distinctive look, and so I know of him even though I've never seen him in anything.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm surprised.

+1.

Count me in as someone who dislikes Riz Ahmed as well. He was in the last Bourne film too and didn't make an impression for me there either.

I'm neither here nor there on Malek. I don't know enough about him to formulate an opinion either way. He has a very distinctive look, and so I know of him even though I've never seen him in anything.
    Same here. On both counts.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    peter wrote: »
    If continuity didn't matter before the Craig films, it likely won't matter after them.

Or during, even. The audience shows up for the latest mission, as always.

And here should end this conversation, lol. The audience will always show up for the latest mission. That’s all that needs to be said, rather than presupposing that what’s happening now could have a negative impact on the series moving ahead.

In a few more years there will be another actor in the tux. And the audiences will come in droves.

Full stop.

Exactly. Back in 2014 some people here were opposing to Quantum/Mr White's return because they thought any reference to QoS would make the movie flop, yet SPECTRE was very successful money-wise. Average movie-goers just want to see Bond kissing girls, punching bad guys and have some fun, at the end of the day they don't really care if invisible cars are in or whether Bond and the villain are related. Sure, they may leave the movie feeling underwhelmed, but that won't stop them from watching the next one.

And the proof is that all Bond movies were box office successes.

Because it's going to be Waltz ;)

Yeah, kinda strange. Hope everything is going ok.

At the beginning of filming Casino Royale a film nearly all Bond fans put in their top 10 vesper Lynd and Le Chiffe we’re not cast. I am not kidding if memory serves me right they weren’t cast till a month into filming
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,450
    65 pages a go..
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Lucia in my opnion should be new kind of Irma Bunt.

Marwan Kenzari (Dutch) mabey can consider for the villian insteed of Rami Malek. There first whant him for lead in Aladdin, but deside to give him part of Jafar. Filming of Aladdin is possible already finished or in next 2 months.

e6b5d0909718de580169b85f6cb5ff90c54af796.jpg
    Kenzari in Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

With Sedoux returns, after Ralph Fienes she is another person who worked with Matthias Schoenaerts in another movie.

Mi6 agent should be 009.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Clearly Malek has been asked by EoN. His mannerisms & body language in the ET video speak volumes.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Some 2020 releases I will be anticipating more than Bond 25 if Waltz is back:

Trolls World Tour
    Untitled Rugrats Film
    Legally Blonde 3

Trolls World Tour
    Untitled Rugrats Film
    Legally Blonde 3

Trolls world tour a film about your life perhaps?
    I would have loved to have seen a Danny Boyle Bond movie. But we'll have to make do with the new guy. As long as the Noodles story arc is tidied up I will be happy.

Trolls World Tour
    Untitled Rugrats Film
    Legally Blonde 3

That was actually funny, @PanchitoPistoles. Nicely done.

Then again, you may find you'll have a very uninteresting year ;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    When do you guys think we'll get the first trailer? Later Summer maybe?
    Even though i will do everything in my power to keep me from watching it.
    A millenial villain against Craig? Intriguing. I wonder how he will get under Bond's skin? Call him an out of touch hippo with an antiquated outhlook?
  • 00Agent wrote: »

Hobbs & Shaw - almost certainly, so you're talking August 2018.

In other news, Daniel Craig has been trending on Twitter today:

00Agent wrote: »

Afraid I don't have that will power! And can't wait for production to start. Will be lapping up every behind the scene images as it films!