Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    As far as Dan Stevens’ “crazy eyes”. To a degree, I think that’s something that a director can dial back. Clooney use to do a head tilt thing; I forget who it was but there was a director who forbid him from doing it.
    Good man.
    I believe he stopped after Piecemaker.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    As far as Dan Stevens’ “crazy eyes”. To a degree, I think that’s something that a director can dial back. Clooney use to do a head tilt thing; I forget who it was but there was a director who forbid him from doing it.
    Good man.
    I believe he stopped after Piecemaker.
    I think he may have still had a bit of it going on in Peacemaker (superb film btw, with a great performance by both Clooney and Kidman) if I remember correctly. I think it was Out of Sight (another tremendous film) where he fully exorcised it.
    @bondjames, he was still full on in tilt mode in Peacemaker.
    No idea what made me write Piecemaker ;-).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That would be Mr. Brosnan's old man... or his old man's old lady. ;)
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @bondjames, he was still full on in tilt mode in Peacemaker.
    I misread your earlier post @boldfinger. Yes, definitely. It was a bit distracting, even though his performance in the film was full-on excellent otherwise. Very macho.
    4hjx.gif
    That was great. A real bobbler, George.
    Haha. There are actually scenes there from Out of Sight as well. So he still had the tick in 1998.

Batman bobbing his head was a step too far though imho.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I had no idea Clooney did this. I'm shaken by the revelation.

Shaken in my head.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ha! as I watched I realized that I was nodding my head! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Geroge's head is more shaken than Bond's martini.
    Geroge's head is more shaken than Bond's martini.

eheh, very nice.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,293
    I've actually never noticed that re. Clooney before – incredible! Is it an acting thing, or does he do that in interviews etc. too?
    On Dan Stevens... I don't know. I saw some of Downton Abbey, and he was okay in that from what I remember, but he didn't make much of an impression on me, and that was just a role among a huge cast in a well made period piece soap opera. For bigger roles, and in movies, I've seen The Guest, where he was again okay, but what a bad movie. Almost turned off Apostle pretty early on, it was terrible, but left it on... to me he didn't even stand out as good at all among that mediocre cast (but that all could have been due to the director, or bad writing, or bad acting around him, I don't know). Bond? I don't see it, but oh well. Clearly some people have been impressed by something he has done. He seems maybe slightly more promising to me than Cavill who seems utterly boring both on screen and off from what I've seen. But some of you are fans. -shrug- (I certainly can't even imagine them picking a Superman actor anyway.)

Not that I have any good suggestions, either. There's a long way to go, and it'll probably be someone younger than those guys anyway.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    At this stage, as @Tuulia alludes to this thread is more about who could be Bond rather than who should be Bond.

There are plenty out there who could be Bond. He just has to have the charisma to pull it off.

However, chances are non of the media front runners will be Bond, and BB won't take any candidates seriously until Craig has made it fully clear that he won't be back after Bond 25.

I can imagine she is always looking at candidates, sometimes deliberately, sometimes by accident- how can she not? We know that Craig jumped out at her when she saw Layer Cake. And that could have been the moment she decided Brosnan's time was definitely over - she had found a new direction with a new man.

A new name Gwilym Lee

He played Brian May in the new Queen bio pic he is not too well known but he is charismatic and heck could play guitar on the bond theme lol
  • peterpeter Toronto
    NicNac wrote: »
    At this stage, as @Tuulia alludes to this thread is more about who could be Bond rather than who should be Bond.

There are plenty out there who could be Bond. He just has to have the charisma to pull it off.

However, chances are non of the media front runners will be Bond, and BB won't take any candidates seriously until Craig has made it fully clear that he won't be back after Bond 25.

I can imagine she is always looking at candidates, sometimes deliberately, sometimes by accident- how can she not? We know that Craig jumped out at her when she saw Layer Cake. And that could have been the moment she decided Brosnan's time was definitely over - she had found a new direction with a new man.

Very well said @NicNac ... I imagine this is the closest to reality... there’s a film to be made in the now, which is priority.

But, it’s probably a good bet to think that Barbara always has one eye trained on today, while the other one gazes into a possible future.

However, until 25 is out, the press is complete, DC is officially done, there are no serious candidates.

This thread is a neat game, and as another poster recently commented, a way of us having a false sense of control in where our favourite franchise is heading!
    Tuulia wrote: »
    On Dan Stevens... I don't know. I saw some of Downton Abbey, and he was okay in that from what I remember, but he didn't make much of an impression on me, and that was just a role among a huge cast in a well made period piece soap opera. For bigger roles, and in movies, I've seen The Guest, where he was again okay, but what a bad movie. Almost turned off Apostle pretty early on, it was terrible, but left it on... to me he didn't even stand out as good at all among that mediocre cast (but that all could have been due to the director, or bad writing, or bad acting around him, I don't know). Bond? I don't see it, but oh well. Clearly some people have been impressed by something he has done.
    You raise an interesting point about Stevens, @Tuulia. I've only seen him in Downton Abbey myself. I did notice him I'll admit, but it was more on account of the fact that he had a pivotal role in a season. I felt he was a good looking guy, but I didn't think Bond necessarily and there wasn't anything that stood out particularly about him to me. I've yet to see The Guest or Apostle, but would like to, although I don't think the latter will be my type of show. As far as the regulars on Downtown Abbey gos, I've always felt that Rob James-Collier had an inherent darkness to him which could possibly make him suitable.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    He seems maybe slightly more promising to me than Cavill who seems utterly boring both on screen and off from what I've seen. But some of you are fans. -shrug- (I certainly can't even imagine them picking a Superman actor anyway.)
    As far as I'm concerned, I think he looks the part. I understand your point about charisma, and it's regrettable. Apart from said looks, he doesn't really grab the screen in my opinion.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    A new name Gwilym Lee

He played Brian May in the new Queen bio pic he is not too well known but he is charismatic and heck could play guitar on the bond theme lol
    I just googled him. I can't recall seeing him in anything, but will keep a look out in the future.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    https://www.instagram.com/joe.alwyn/p/BqNeo90Fk5z/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1arbltj0kkdv1

I really like this guy's look he really looks like he could pull off a striking presence to bond however I have never seen him in a film so I am unaware of his acting abilities.
    https://www.instagram.com/joe.alwyn/p/BqNeo90Fk5z/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1arbltj0kkdv1

I really like this guy's look he really looks like he could pull off a striking presence to bond however I have never seen him in a film so I am unaware of his acting abilities.
    I mentioned him a few pages back. I recently saw him in Operation Finale and he made an impression. Good build, height and presence. He has potential.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    And he's not really known yet nor has he been picked up by the media or the bookies plus he's quite young at 27 but hey George Lazenby was cast when he was 29 perhaps his only cling to fame right now is his relationship with Taylor Swift.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    A new name Gwilym Lee

He played in one series of Midsomer Murders a few years back.

2784321.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery
    Maybe if he grows into his looks; at this point, from these photos, he looks a bit gangly.
    I'm sure Gwilym Lee is a very talented actor and I thought he did a pretty reasonable job as guitarist Brian May, but age appropriation and being an actor alone isn't a good enough reason to qualify one for the role of 007. Sure, Lazenby's name was cited as being 28-29 for OHMSS, but Lazenby looked far more jacked than Mr. Lee at the same age. No offence to Gwilym, but a Bond actor should not only look an alpha male, but be the only alpha male in the room. Not only that, they also require that extra "it factor" that makes other men want to share those very same attributes. Of course, I'm making these observations as a male which are different to that of a woman's. But essentially the make-up of a Bond audience has been predominately male from the beginning and it's this section of the paying public that the producers need to concentrate on the most. From my own observations, female audiences tend to only like a Bond actor based solely on whether they appeal to their own aesthetic preferences, whereas a male fan sees the actor mostly in terms of his alpha male attributes (acting talent aside). In other words, a woman will see something entirely different to that of a male fan, which is why it's interesting to see some of their own choices.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    He looks a bit like an effete twink, so he gets a no from me.
    I wouldn't say effete, but he certainly hasn't got the Bond look. Sorry.
    Nop from me too. Not enough charisma, a bit like Brian May, excellent guitarist, one of the best, and a true distinct voice on the guitar, but not enough charisma.
    Yeah, I was being kind, he'll never grow into it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Another no from me.