Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Hardy didn´t seem to be mumbling much in Tinker Tayler, No Turning back, The Revenant, Peaky Blinders, or Taboo.
    I don´t quite get the demand for surprise. I don´t care if an Actor has shown similar stuff before, as Long as he gives a great Performance. De Niro didn´t re-invent himself much since the early 90s, but I wouldn´t want to miss him in Heat and Ronin.
    I guess those who say Hardy´s going to be too old for Bond when the time will be up are right, and his hight might indeed be a Problem, but apart from that (and the sheer amount of paint necessary to cover all his tats) I could very well imagine him to give a great Bond Performance, be it in a more belligerent style or in a traditionally soldier-like style. Especially the latter should be a neat challenge for him to pull off.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    But @boldfinger , isn't it exciting when you see an actor that you don't know too much about, and, via performance, they deliver such high energy and knock down expectations? Adam Driver is this to me at the moment. He plays in different genres, different roles and there's something just a little unexpected about him.

Tom was that talented. And still is. I find he's just got a little lazy (minus Dunkirk).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Hardy is a nightclub bouncer. Case closed.

I mean that’s the truth isn’t it. He’s way too much of a thug to be bond. He’d fit nicely into the henchman category
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 5,767
    peter wrote: »
    But @boldfinger , isn't it exciting when you see an actor that you don't know too much about, and, via performance, they deliver such high energy and knock down expectations? Adam Driver is this to me at the moment. He plays in different genres, different roles and there's something just a little unexpected about him.

Tom was that talented. And still is. I find he's just got a little lazy (minus Dunkirk).
    @peter, that´s exactly why I think Bond could be a good fit for him. He´s done a lot of slightly slurry, undisciplined types lately, and he Comes across not much differently in interviews. Playing a disciplined soldier like Bond could be the perfect challenge to wake his hunger again. Don´t you think :-)? You say yourself that Dunkirk, where he played a soldier, is one of his better Performances of late.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I dunno, @boldfinger, I think Hardy kinda likes the thug culture. He reminds me more of Connor McGregor than he does James Bond:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tom+hardy+lip+synching&oq=tom+hardy+lip+synching&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.5359j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    @peter, that´s why as an Actor he should Relish the Chance to be cast totally against type. If however it should turn out he´s going the route of the likes of Johnny Depp, insisting on doing it their way, then Forget it ;-).

Btw, McGregor could be a nice physical template for Bond. Not the hair of Course, but the physique, the moving ability, and the Aggression he gets out of such a lean Body.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hardy is a nightclub bouncer. Case closed.
    I mean that’s the truth isn’t it. He’s way too much of a thug to be bond. He’d fit nicely into the henchman category
    Precisely.
    Sorry @boldfinger but casting against type isn't a good enough reason to cast Hardy as Bond. We could name any number of actors in the role if we used casting against type as our sole raison d’être.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Sorry @boldfinger but casting against type isn't a good enough reason to cast Hardy as Bond. We could name any number of actors in the role if we used casting against type as our sole raison d’être.

Good point. We might as well toss Jason Alexander into the mix. Casting him as Bond would be a perfect way for him to leave that George Costanza image behind him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Oh I didn’t post the phot just copied someone who did for me his performance in Kong and The Night manager made me think this could be the guy he has cariama and a darkness to him like this is a guy you wouldn’t trust your wife with or your car. And I feel Bond needs that.

CSec4F8VAAArxeh.jpg
    I'd prefer Fassbender, but Hiddleston will do just fine for me. He'd be different enough to be interesting, but I'd be curious to see him in a decent fight scene first.

I think Hardy is a great actor as well personally, but he hasn't got the look that I want for Bond going forward. He reminds me of a poor man's Craig, and I think they should aim for a little taller and just a tad more refined for the next one, rather than going in the other direction.
    Tom Hardy the thug:
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Good point. We might as well toss Jason Alexander into the mix. Casting him as Bond would be a perfect way for him to leave that George Costanza image behind him.
    Except I never heard About Jason Alexander, whereas Hardy has proven many times that he can give a powerful Performance in a great Variety of roles, from extremely thuggish to very shy and intellectual.

@bonsum, if you have an opinion, don´t feel sorry for it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Bond would never worry about “shrinkage”
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Cheers, mate. Thing is, I like a lot of what you say @boldfinger, so it's sometimes difficult to weigh in on a subject that I know you feel passionate about without coming over as obtuse.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 6,677
    I really think Tom Hardy is the most overrated actor of his generation. And I've seen all of his films. And I mean, all of them. Most of them not on his account. I also saw Taboo. Also, look wise, he doesn't look like he showers or shaves. He's got a baby mouth, bad greasy hair, a billion tattoos, and an attitude to boot. He'd be, imho, one of the worst choices they could make for Bond. But as you say, it's just opinions. Still, one that I feel very strong about. I've also seen interviews and in none did he seem remotely intelectual about his job or anything else. Listen, I've tried to like the guy, cause many saw him as a brilliant thespian. It only caused me to develop a bigger allergy to the guy. He does good voice work, that's all. For me anyways.
    Again my issue is on this board and others the feeling of

“Your opinion is wrong”
    For me look I admit my top 5 will not be cast and not because Unnivex doesn’t like Tom Hardy or this other user finds Hiddleston to affeminite

No the 5 won’t get the part because they themselves will either be too busy, turn down the part, or Eon will find an actor they like better.

I feel we should all take a breath and ask why someone feels the way the way do rather then say they are wrong

“Your opinion is wrong”
    For me look I admit my top 5 will not be cast and not because Unnivex doesn’t like Tom Hardy or this other user finds Hiddleston to affeminite

No the 5 won’t get the part because they themselves will either be too busy, turn down the part, or Eon will find an actor they like better.

I feel we should all take a breath and ask why someone feels the way the way do rather then say they are wrong
    You have a point. I think this next changeover is going to be quite controversial either way. It will be the first switch since facebook, twitter and the advent of social media. Given how long it's been, I'm sure some will be thrown out of joint by whoever they pick. I'm sure someone could make some money down the road by selling the rights to a site such as maddenisnotbond, hiddlestonisnotbond or hardyisnotbond, so perhaps an early investment in these and other potential names could be worthwhile.

I'm pretty sure EON is aware of potential backlash, and will handle it smoothly. They're the pros at this after all, having done it more than anyone. They just have to account for the new landscape.
    They most likely haven't, but I do hope EON have started the process of looking at potential Bond candidates already – checking out performances by actors in recent films, TV series, etc.
    talos7 wrote: »

LOL!! Nice!

I might not mind Hiddleston in the role, actually. Be a nice contrast after Craig. I don't really want Hardy in the role, but would be curious in what he might look like as Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

LOL!! Nice!

I might not mind Hiddleston in the role, actually. Be a nice contrast after Craig. I don't really want Hardy in the role, but would be curious in what he might look like as Bond.
    Just watch This Means War, that'll suffice. ;)

“Your opinion is wrong”

Univex with a single "n" old chap ;) No, I don't like Hardy. I used to like Hiddleston, now I don't either. But that's not the point. A thread like this exist solely for the purpose of discussing such matter. I do appreciate counterpoints and a little debate. These are forums, aren't they. Besides, nobody's saying someone's wrong. We are all expressing opinions that, lets face it, won't matter much, just like we did back when potatoe nose Owen or dancing Jackman were the most likely choices. It's all good fun. Coming to terms with the unreality of it all isn't that useful, unless you want a group of depressed fans that have finally realised they haven't a shard of control over the Bond business. This is all just us trying to feel we have some control over some of it, which we don't, but we do have to feel we do. Boy, was that a carousel, must lie down for a bit now ;) Cheers.
    I know there are a lot of supporters for Dan Stevens; I do agree he deserves a screentest.
    Recently, my Daughter and I were talking and she had just seen “The Apostle”. I mentioned that Stevens had a lot of support here as a potential Bond. She is a Bond fan, and said, ‘ maybe, he’s got a great voice but has perpetual “ crazy eyes” .
    She’s 21 and a very sophisticated filmgoer.

LOL!! Nice!

Just watch This Means War, that'll suffice. ;)

Looking at some photos. He does look good there.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    edited November 2018 Posts: 984
    Still think Henry Cavill is the right man for the job. He has the perfect look, is built like a tank(not that this is a prerequisite) and has the classic 'English gent's' vibe.

His acting has improved immeasurably too, in recent roles. A good director could really turn him into a fantastic Bond.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Cheers, mate. Thing is, I like a lot of what you say @boldfinger, so it's sometimes difficult to weigh in on a subject that I know you feel passionate about without coming over as obtuse.
    @bondsum, much appreciated, brother, but don´t worry, it´s just opinions, haha ;-). But seriously, especially About this Tom Hardy Thing, I don´t worry at all, because he anyhow will be too old.

“Your opinion is wrong”

@Risico007, where did you get that Feeling? I don´t see anyone on These last two or three pages critisising someone else for his opinion. Correct me if I´m wrong ;-).

Univex wrote: »
    I really think Tom Hardy is the most overrated actor of his generation. And I've seen all of his films. And I mean, all of them. Most of them not on his account. I also saw Taboo. Also, look wise, he doesn't look like he showers or shaves. He's got a baby mouth, bad greasy hair, a billion tattoos, and an attitude to boot. He'd be, imho, one of the worst choices they could make for Bond. But as you say, it's just opinions. Still, one that I feel very strong about. I've also seen interviews and in none did he seem remotely intelectual about his job or anything else. Listen, I've tried to like the guy, cause many saw him as a brilliant thespian. It only caused me to develop a bigger allergy to the guy. He does good voice work, that's all. For me anyways.
    Fair Points, @Univex.
    I know there are a lot of supporters for Dan Stevens; I do agree he deserves a screentest.
    Recently, my Daughter and I were talking and she had just seen “The Apostle”. I mentioned that Stevens had a lot of support here as a potential Bond. She is a Bond fan, and said, ‘ maybe, he’s got a great voice but has perpetual “ crazy eyes” .
    She’s 21 and a very sophisticated filmgoer.

maxresdefault.jpg

These? :))
    She has a point, but at the same time Bond should have a certain stare, IMO. Dalton certainly had it, and it worked well for him.
    This 'eyes' thing may be worth keeping in mind. I'm frequently amazed by how perceptions of men by women can be impacted by that element, even if at a superficial level. It's in the 'eye' of the beholder of course, but if enough women feel that way about it, this could impact whether he is cast.
    Stevens is actually an interesting choice, but he is 36 now. Well, Pierce started it all at 42.
    Stevens, with his weight in control and Moorish dark blonde hair, nice voice and posture. Yes, he'd do fine. Good actor too. There ya go, a candidate I approve ;) Besides, he was in Downton Abbey. All points in favour.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 6,677
    bondjames wrote: »
    This 'eyes' thing may be worth keeping in mind. I'm frequently amazed by how perceptions of men by women can be impacted by that element, even if at a superficial level. It's in the 'eye' of the beholder of course, but if enough women feel that way about it, this could impact whether he is cast.

Well, at least the opinion of a certain woman matters. And she seems to have an eye for it ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Well, at least the opinion of a certain woman matters. And she seems to have an eye for it ;)
    She certainly does, at least based on the above photo (I'm assuming that's from Legion). He's one to keep an eye out for as he could well be on EON's radar.
    As far as Dan Stevens’ “crazy eyes”. To a degree, I think that’s something that a director can dial back. Clooney use to do a head tilt thing; I forget who it was but there was a director who forbid him from doing it.