Bond 25 (and Beyond) directors you consider. This can be directors, second Unit Director or D.O.P.

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    I can think of a couple of interesting directors who could step in that fit Eon’s bill:

James Marsh – He’s an Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker and he’s made a number of narrative films. I suppose the issue may be that his filmography is a little spotty. It goes from mawkish biopics to the recent disposal Michael Caine-Hatton Gardens film. Though he fits the bill of ‘esteemed Oscar-winner’ that Eon seem to be after.

John Hillcoat – He’s made some strong thrillers in Australia and America. He’s directed an episode of Black Mirror. He’s a good action director, but he hasn’t quite had a breakthrough film yet. Bond could do that.

Stephen Daldry – He seems like the natural successor to Mendes. He’s a British theatre director who broke through making Oscar-bait movies. He’s been nominated for an Oscar on numerous occasions. He isn’t afraid to flex his more populist reflexes either (he directed episodes of Netflix’s The Crown, and has been attached to a Stars Wars and Wicked film)

Stephen Frears – Pretty much royalty in the British film industry. He’s a little dusty and old-hat these days. However, he’s a prestigious filmmaker who works quickly and competently. He has name-value but he’s not exactly an overly exciting suggestion.

Justin Chadwick – He’s done a few meagre and earnest British films. He’s probably one big film away from breaking through.

James Watkins – A good workman English director who has made a number of British horror and action films. He is probably looking for a Hollywood breakthrough role.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

They are pretty much all the boring middle-aged white guys that I can think of at the moment…

Personally, I think Eon have a pick between two directors. Both these two directors were far more suited to Daniel Craig’s Bond than Danny Boyle and I’ve been suggesting them for months:

Steve McQueen – He’s a real talent and has Oscar clout. He has just directed a heist/thriller that looks very populist and is winning raves at TIFF.

Lynne Ramsay – A terrific director who recently made a dark crime film that was a hit at Cannes.

If Eon want Ramsay or McQueen, I’d be up for a delay if it meant a good film.

You sound like a SJW and a tad racist, "boring middle aged white guys"? And then you rave about a black director and a woman? Those 'boring middle aged white guys' more or less created all your beloved Bond films. Very disrespectful.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400
    I can think of a couple of interesting directors who could step in that fit Eon’s bill:

James Marsh – He’s an Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker and he’s made a number of narrative films. I suppose the issue may be that his filmography is a little spotty. It goes from mawkish biopics to the recent disposal Michael Caine-Hatton Gardens film. Though he fits the bill of ‘esteemed Oscar-winner’ that Eon seem to be after.

John Hillcoat – He’s made some strong thrillers in Australia and America. He’s directed an episode of Black Mirror. He’s a good action director, but he hasn’t quite had a breakthrough film yet. Bond could do that.

Stephen Daldry – He seems like the natural successor to Mendes. He’s a British theatre director who broke through making Oscar-bait movies. He’s been nominated for an Oscar on numerous occasions. He isn’t afraid to flex his more populist reflexes either (he directed episodes of Netflix’s The Crown, and has been attached to a Stars Wars and Wicked film)

Stephen Frears – Pretty much royalty in the British film industry. He’s a little dusty and old-hat these days. However, he’s a prestigious filmmaker who works quickly and competently. He has name-value but he’s not exactly an overly exciting suggestion.

Justin Chadwick – He’s done a few meagre and earnest British films. He’s probably one big film away from breaking through.

James Watkins – A good workman English director who has made a number of British horror and action films. He is probably looking for a Hollywood breakthrough role.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

They are pretty much all the boring middle-aged white guys that I can think of at the moment…

Personally, I think Eon have a pick between two directors. Both these two directors were far more suited to Daniel Craig’s Bond than Danny Boyle and I’ve been suggesting them for months:

Steve McQueen – He’s a real talent and has Oscar clout. He has just directed a heist/thriller that looks very populist and is winning raves at TIFF.

Lynne Ramsay – A terrific director who recently made a dark crime film that was a hit at Cannes.

You sound like a SJW and a tad racist, "boring middle aged white guys"? And then you rave about a black director and a woman? Those 'boring middle aged white guys' more or less created all your beloved Bond films. Very disrespectful.

Racist? SJW? What sort of dipshit categories are these? Grow up.

Just read back you reply, I was clear in my post.
  • I can think of a couple of interesting directors who could step in that fit Eon’s bill:

You're an idiot

You're an idiot

Thanks for that, really mature. I'll go back to watching CR now, also made by another boring middle aged white man (who completely 'reinvented' Bond yet again, mind you)
  • I can think of a couple of interesting directors who could step in that fit Eon’s bill:

You're an idiot

Thanks for that, really mature. I'll go back to watching CR now, also made by another boring middle aged white man (who completely 'reinvented' Bond yet again, mind you)

Martin Campbell's terrific. You're still an idiot.

You're an idiot

So why do you make a mockery of those directors in general and at the same time favouring very left field choices, who happen to be black and female (essentially nothing wrong with either). You should understand that you sketch an image that way a lot of people these days (sjw's) adhere to. I oppose your view that I'm the idiot here but won't go as low to discredit you that way.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All right guys, play nice - and if you can't, please take it to PM's. No need making things personal because you have differing views on directors.

You're an idiot

So why do you make a mockery of those directors in general and at the same time favouring very left field choices, who happen to be black and female (essentially nothing wrong with either). You should understand that you sketch an image that way a lot of people these days (sjw's) adhere to. I oppose your view that I'm the idiot here but won't go as low to discredit you that way.

Let’s consider this in turn;

So why do you make a mockery of those directors in general and at the same time favouring very left field choices, who happen to be black and female (essentially nothing wrong with either).

Did you even read my post? Did you even look at the people I suggested were the type of directors Eon would probably be considering. You’d see the analysis of each is favourful but caveated by the fact that they are likely quite bland and uninspiring. My reference to them being bland, middle-aged and white is more a reference to the homogenous nature of Hollywood hiring practices

Also, neither McQueen or Ramsay are ‘left-field’ choices. They have both produced films in the action/thriller vein. Many of the names in my previous suggestion (Daldry, Marsh, etc) have not. They are both very qualified.

You should understand that you sketch an image that way a lot of people these days (sjw's) adhere to.

Can you stop calling me an SJW, it’s an idiotic category created by individuals who want to stifle debate.

Did you even read my post? Did you even look at the people I suggested were the type of directors Eon would probably be considering. You’d see the analysis of each is favourful but caveated by the fact that they are likely quite bland and uninspiring. My reference to them being bland, middle-aged and white is more a reference to the homogenous nature of Hollywood hiring practices

Also, neither McQueen or Ramsay are ‘left-field’ choices. They have both produced films in the action/thriller vein. Many of the names in my previous suggestion (Daldry, Marsh, etc) have not. They are both very qualified.

You should understand that you sketch an image that way a lot of people these days (sjw's) adhere to.

Can you stop calling me an SJW, it’s an idiotic category created by individuals who want to stifle debate.

Evidently have I read your post and I just do not agree with it, neither the 'typical' choices by EoN (because they aren't), nor your opinion they're bland or uninspiring. Also, you should be careful labelling people that way, because at the same time you label previous directors the same way and they certainly were never bland, nor boring. Quality wise it's debatable, but it always is. Action > reaction, you come over as a (in pop culture it's the name for it, sorry) sjw, which is definitely a thing these days and it should never taint Bond. Bond is about as far from one as humanly possible and rightfully so.

It doesn't make sense as you are favourful at first (if they're good they're good, skin color has zero to do with it), but then you call them bland and uninspiring because of their skin color. This by definition is the word that starts with the letter r. The definition of that word goes in all directions, as it doesn't solely have a monopoly on, let's say, the colour black.

'Hollywood' had Demange as frontrunner and he isn't particularly white, just to name one example. Also, M has been a female for ages, let alone Moneypenny, Leiter, etc.

You Were Never Really Here really wasn't my cup of tea at all and I didn't find it particularly good, save from Phoenix, per usual. Direction was quite meh imo and never got any hint that reminded me of Bond. McQueen is a capable director, but no Bond director to me. Unless you want to go the Mendes route again with probably even worse car chases.

/2 cents & last reply
    I do wonder why Eon is taking their time. Surely getting someone onboard is important at this stage.

I'm not surprised Boyle bailed. He already turned down a knighthood and threatened numerous times to quite the Olympic job if his creativity was stifled.

The final three directors Eon were zeroing in on were revealed a week ago. Which means they have all surely met with Eon now.

So a decision has to come this week?

Despite reporting that they still intend to start filming in December/January, I think Bond 25 must be entertaining the prospect of a delay and 2020 release.
    Who says there hasn´t already been a decision? Eon obviously don´t give away things this time as much as they did on previous productions.

I haven´t seen anything yet from McQueen. I wasn´t too convinced by Lynne Ramsey´s You were never really there, but if that film is anything to go by, Craig would probably like the subtleties it presents, and we would get more tormented soul. I wouldn´t want that.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I do wonder why Eon is taking their time. Surely getting someone onboard is important at this stage.

I'm not surprised Boyle bailed. He already turned down a knighthood and threatened numerous times to quite the Olympic job if his creativity was stifled.

The final three directors Eon were zeroing in on were revealed a week ago. Which means they have all surely met with Eon now.

Despite reporting that they still intend to start filming in December/January, I think Bond 25 must be entertaining the prospect of a delay and 2020 release.
    Who says there hasn´t already been a decision? Eon obviously don´t give away things this time as much as they did on previous productions.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit. Eon could give the director time to start working before releasing a statement.
  • Ramsay has something of a toxic reputation after abandoning JANE GOT A GUN. I doubt EON would work with her.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,368
    I don't see her style meshing well at all with Bond, unless they're aiming for an arthouse feel. I'll take a big pass on that.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit. Eon could give the director time to start working before releasing a statement.
    Exactly. Was there at all any official announcement when Boyle got the Job? I seem to remember Boyle saying something openly after a while, but not Eon.

Exactly. Was there at all any official announcement when Boyle got the Job? I seem to remember Boyle saying something openly after a while, but not Eon.

There was the official announcement of course, but there were talks about Boyle directing before that (if I remember correctly).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

There was the official announcement of course, but there were talks about Boyle directing before that (if I remember correctly).
    If I'm not mistaken nearly everything has leaked in advance of an official announcement, except for Boyle's departure which came as a surprise.

Based on this, I'd assume that the two names we learned about last week (Layton and Clarkson) along with the other knowns may be the actual front runners, and we won't get a surprise unless a new name drops into the media mix first.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    It wouldn't surprise me if you're spot on there, @bondjames. I can't see EON's list being too long either, as they need to close in on a name soon (if they haven't decided already).

Haven't seen anything by Bart Layton, Demange etc., but it looks like some members here are positive towards their work. As far as S.J. Clarkson goes, everything I've seen of her TV work has been good so, yeah - why not?
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    New producers needed please
    Finally someone agrees with me on that! THANK YOU!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Haven't seen anything by Bart Layton, Demange etc., but it looks like some members here are positive towards their work. As far as S.J. Clarkson goes, everything I've seen of her TV work has been good so, yeah - why not?

They're all pretty good names considering how fresh they are. It's quite exciting to see them and not be 100% sure what we're going to get. Even if Demange was chosen his usual raw shooting style probably wouldn't have been carried over as much.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Lynn Ramsey is an awful director and shouldn’t be let anywhere near bond. I would borderline not watch the film
  • Lynn Ramsey is an awful director and shouldn’t be let anywhere near bond. I would borderline not watch the film

How can you borderline not watch something? Do you have one eye opened and the other closed?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Lynn Ramsey is an awful director and shouldn’t be let anywhere near bond. I would borderline not watch the film

We Need To Talk About Kevin says otherwise, but ok.

How can you borderline not watch something? Do you have one eye opened and the other closed?
    I'd say he means he would be on the fence about it. Ambivalent.
  • I'm a long time reader of this site and have watched much of the production speculation and flare-ups of late. I think there are two significant things we need to see happen moving forward.

E.ON really needs to appoint some sort of content/community manager, Bond is a significant franchise yet in terms of building excitement and outreach with fans - it really does need to do more beyond traditional PR efforts. If we look at the viral campaign that accompanied The Dark Knight ( cargocollective.com/GaryRosen/The-Dark-Knight-Known-as-the-best-viral-movie-marketing-campaign-in I think it's clear that Bond could benefit from this sort of next level engagement.

In many ways, E.ON approach these efforts in an extremely traditional way, which ultimately leads to scant options. I think if you look at licencing as an example of this. Compared to other franchise stablemates, there is always slim pickings. I'm not advocating a Disney like blitz with Bond toilet roll or 007 lunch boxes, but in many ways placing more accessible licensed goods in the hands of people, especially younger fans, helps build the audience of tomorrow.

Secondly, I would love to see Nolan direct Bond, but given how production cycles work especially with larger studios, I just don't think Nolan would be interested in working with an incumbent actor and a ticking clock. Ignoring all other elements, time simply is against him having any involvement at this point, given how he likes to own all elements of the creative process from start to end. He doesn't do shotgun involvement but I agree with others he would be amazing to potentially have introduce a new Bond and manage a story arc over multiple films.

In many ways, Bond 25 needs a solid, caretaker like approach given whatever director comes in. They would have the unenviable task of inheriting script, production, schedules and potentially casted actors. I think it's entirely plausible that we'll see someone who has a background in TV projects coming in because of the need for a workmanlike attack to meet published timelines/keep to available windows of key talents.

I think Susanne Bier would be brilliant, could temper Bond in a MeToo world and still deliver something sexy and action-packed. The Night Manager was a fantastic achievement especially in light of the time it took her to produce ( shoot lasted 5 months in total) and the quality she achieved with a super modest budget of £30 million.
    I think Susanne Bier would be brilliant, could temper Bond in a MeToo world and still deliver something sexy and action-packed. The Night Manager was a fantastic achievement especially in light of the time it took her to produce ( shoot lasted 5 months in total) and the quality she achieved with a super modest budget of £30 million.

Yes, the boat scenes in TNM were brilliantly bondian. And the island villa, and many many shots, being in the Alps or in London, were beautifully done. I'd be happy with Bier.
    Me too (no pun intended). The thing that drew me into the series mostly was the way holiday location backgrounds were blended well with the story. As I mentioned many times already, I go very much for holiday location backdrops mixed with adventure.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Night Manager was absolutely brilliant all round. There was rumour of Bier taking Bond around the time it was released. They should have done it imho. No brainer.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Night Manager was absolutely brilliant all round. There was rumour of Bier taking Bond around the time it was released. They should have done it imho. No brainer.

Agreed it even made me interested in Hiddleston as 007
    Risico007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Agreed it even made me interested in Hiddleston as 007

Me too. How good can a production be to do that? ;)