Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MORE OF THE SAME WORLD 2: FALLEN KINGDOM

jwsafeforkids_header.jpg?q=65&enable=upscale&w=600

I'm not the type to make drastic decisions, so I guess I'll modestly phrase it like this: I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing another Jurassic anything again unless they completely change the formula.

Look, JW was spectacular. It was also about as original as the 120th Big Mac you poison your system with. But hey, I gave it its setup because maybe, just maybe, it might actually kick something fresh into gears and walk away from the '93 template with its guaranteed sequel.

Nope.

And it's our fault because we droned in for JW and made a lot of people very happy i.e. very rich. So I guess we basically told Universal to do it all over again next time because we're eating this thing up, right?

Right.

So JW Fallen Kingdom reunites the previous film's two stars and some newbies, drags Ian Malcolm in for an insultingly useless cameo and hires James Cromwell as the idealistic old man. And of course we have unethical businessmen ready to screw with nature again.

Yes, I'm going to say it. Wait for it... Okay, why the hate for TLW? That film, at least in my humble opinion, tried to do something new, but since then it's been nothing but convenient retcons (oh look, Hammond had a partner we never talked about before) and genre clichés from here to the stone age. Yes, of course we're teaming up an attractive male and female of consenting age, old enough to function as the surrogate parents for the token child every JP film desperately needs to squeeze in. Of course we must first waste time convincing people to go to one of the islands because that's what we always do, no? Of course the suits will barge in and try to get rich off these animals and thus we get the King Kong catastrophe all over again for the... uh... fourth time now? Even the child in the bedroom coming face to face with a dinosaur is nothing new at this point, and that's one of their selling shots in the trailer if you can believe it.

I guess the ending of the film may be the only thing that is different from the previous ones, although I'm not too fond of it either because it's the "to be expected ending", the one every franchise film delivers these days. Of course there will be another one... That's not even a spoiler, don't get upset.

So little in this film feels fresh, new, exciting even, to the point where even the dinosaurs, no matter how well depicted graphically, fail to impress. The magic touch of Spielberg, Williams, Winston and others is lost and the residue is good-looking but emotionally empty. Pratt and Dallas-Howard come nowhere near their comedic bickering from the previous film, which wasn't very entertaining to begin with.

I know, folks, it's a franchise film tied to genre conventions, thriving on predictability and the audience's lust for "more of the same". But even within those rigid confines, a talented filmmaker should be able to find something that can upset the balance a bit and give us a somewhat new adventure. The latest POTA trilogy effectively demonstrated that one can do things very differently and be great nonetheless. Why can't JP?

I saw a loud, exciting and fast film, which also lacks the warm, magical blanket that Spielberg's original was wrapped up in. With almost every expensive summer film delivering tremendous visuals these days, films cannot distinguish themselves any more unless they start thinking about narrative, surprising performances and original stories again. JW Fallen Kingdom is a graveyard of "been there" moments, disappointingly blended into a barely passable "big spectacle", because the film feels neither big nor exceptionally spectacular, just more of the same. That's a crime, because its predecessor already was a textbook example of "more of the same". But the worst crime this film commits, the worst sin of franchise films in general, is that I found it boring. Call me a dinosaur, but that original JP, made by Spielberg, still ranks at the very top of this series, which has been tumbling further downhill with every next entry.

DD's JP ranking

1) JP
    2) TLW
    3) JP 3

4) JW (because if I want to watch JP, I'll watch JP)

5) JW FK (because if I want to watch JW again, I'll still watch JP)

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Adventures in Babysitting (1987). What a fun 80s classic. Silly and good fun.

I used to really have a blast with this one as a kid. I haven't seen it in such a long, long time.
    DEAD-POOL 2 - Super Duper extended edition.

Absolutely brilliant and so funny !!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,465
    West Side Story

I'm not sure what had me so interested in watching this after all these years - I've never once seen it - but yeah, that's easily one of the greatest films I've ever seen, bar none. Seems to be about as close to perfection as a large scale musical (or any film, for that matter) can get, nearly 60 years on; the sheer talent and choreography, all the color, the set design, costumes, the chemistry amongst the cast, everything about this production was so incredibly stellar.

From those opening moments of the Saul Bass titles to all of the musical numbers, you just know from the start that you're watching something truly, truly special that doesn't come around all that often. Given that it's a rather tragic love story involving rival gangs, I gotta say, there were many a time where I'd have a huge grin on my face just from how much fun it was, particularly during the 'Mambo' and 'America' numbers.

I don't pay much heed to the Oscars anymore, but there's a reason why this film won 10 out of 11 Oscars, that's for damn sure.

Highly recommended to all who have yet to see this classic, although I assume I was in the minority with that.
    @Creasy47 You should watch it again if you get the chance. It’s amazingly fun and dated in all the right ways :)
    Oh I've no doubt I'll rewatch it eventually. Incredible film, such a blast.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,985

I
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MORE OF THE SAME WORLD 2: FALLEN KINGDOM

jwsafeforkids_header.jpg?q=65&enable=upscale&w=600

I'm not the type to make drastic decisions, so I guess I'll modestly phrase it like this: I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing another Jurassic anything again unless they completely change the formula.

Look, JW was spectacular. It was also about as original as the 120th Big Mac you poison your system with. But hey, I gave it its setup because maybe, just maybe, it might actually kick something fresh into gears and walk away from the '93 template with its guaranteed sequel.

Nope.

And it's our fault because we droned in for JW and made a lot of people very happy i.e. very rich. So I guess we basically told Universal to do it all over again next time because we're eating this thing up, right?

Right.

So JW Fallen Kingdom reunites the previous film's two stars and some newbies, drags Ian Malcolm in for an insultingly useless cameo and hires James Cromwell as the idealistic old man. And of course we have unethical businessmen ready to screw with nature again.

Yes, I'm going to say it. Wait for it... Okay, why the hate for TLW? That film, at least in my humble opinion, tried to do something new, but since then it's been nothing but convenient retcons (oh look, Hammond had a partner we never talked about before) and genre clichés from here to the stone age. Yes, of course we're teaming up an attractive male and female of consenting age, old enough to function as the surrogate parents for the token child every JP film desperately needs to squeeze in. Of course we must first waste time convincing people to go to one of the islands because that's what we always do, no? Of course the suits will barge in and try to get rich off these animals and thus we get the King Kong catastrophe all over again for the... uh... fourth time now? Even the child in the bedroom coming face to face with a dinosaur is nothing new at this point, and that's one of their selling shots in the trailer if you can believe it.

I guess the ending of the film may be the only thing that is different from the previous ones, although I'm not too fond of it either because it's the "to be expected ending", the one every franchise film delivers these days. Of course there will be another one... That's not even a spoiler, don't get upset.

So little in this film feels fresh, new, exciting even, to the point where even the dinosaurs, no matter how well depicted graphically, fail to impress. The magic touch of Spielberg, Williams, Winston and others is lost and the residue is good-looking but emotionally empty. Pratt and Dallas-Howard come nowhere near their comedic bickering from the previous film, which wasn't very entertaining to begin with.

I know, folks, it's a franchise film tied to genre conventions, thriving on predictability and the audience's lust for "more of the same". But even within those rigid confines, a talented filmmaker should be able to find something that can upset the balance a bit and give us a somewhat new adventure. The latest POTA trilogy effectively demonstrated that one can do things very differently and be great nonetheless. Why can't JP?

I saw a loud, exciting and fast film, which also lacks the warm, magical blanket that Spielberg's original was wrapped up in. With almost every expensive summer film delivering tremendous visuals these days, films cannot distinguish themselves any more unless they start thinking about narrative, surprising performances and original stories again. JW Fallen Kingdom is a graveyard of "been there" moments, disappointingly blended into a barely passable "big spectacle", because the film feels neither big nor exceptionally spectacular, just more of the same. That's a crime, because its predecessor already was a textbook example of "more of the same". But the worst crime this film commits, the worst sin of franchise films in general, is that I found it boring. Call me a dinosaur, but that original JP, made by Spielberg, still ranks at the very top of this series, which has been tumbling further downhill with every next entry.

DD's JP ranking

1) JP
    2) TLW
    3) JP 3

4) JW (because if I want to watch JP, I'll watch JP)

5) JW FK (because if I want to watch JW again, I'll still watch JP)

I rather liked it. Certainly enjoyed it more than Avengers:Infinity War

I like the way the director Goya handled the big scenes and the fact animatronic Dinosaurs were used in a lot of the close ups and didn't just rely on CGI.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    West Side Story

I'm not sure what had me so interested in watching this after all these years - I've never once seen it - but yeah, that's easily one of the greatest films I've ever seen, bar none. Seems to be about as close to perfection as a large scale musical (or any film, for that matter) can get, nearly 60 years on; the sheer talent and choreography, all the color, the set design, costumes, the chemistry amongst the cast, everything about this production was so incredibly stellar.

From those opening moments of the Saul Bass titles to all of the musical numbers, you just know from the start that you're watching something truly, truly special that doesn't come around all that often. Given that it's a rather tragic love story involving rival gangs, I gotta say, there were many a time where I'd have a huge grin on my face just from how much fun it was, particularly during the 'Mambo' and 'America' numbers.

I don't pay much heed to the Oscars anymore, but there's a reason why this film won 10 out of 11 Oscars, that's for damn sure.

Highly recommended to all who have yet to see this classic, although I assume I was in the minority with that.
    I saw this one with my parents when I was a kid. I vaguely remember it but it's mostly a blur. I have had the blu-ray for some time but haven't viewed it. I was actually meaning to sell it on, but your review has motivated me to at least see it before I do. Looking forward to it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,325
    Tomb Raider 2018 God I am only ten minutes into this and I want to switch it off, one word... garbage. Hope it improves soon.

Switched it off the film is unwatchable.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Django unchained.

After watching Inglorious and absolutley loving it last weekend, I revisited my favorite Tarantino film Django. This film is awesome but if I had to boil it down, it’s because it’s great to see this character get the revenge he deserves, and probably wouldn’t have gotten in real life. Like black panther was supposed to be the Bible for all african American people but I think this film is way cooler for african Americans. I mean Jamie Foxx is a bad ass and a hero I think. Anyway it did move down and now Inglorious is my fav Tarantino but they are really tied for me.

8/10
    Tomb Raider 2018 God I am only ten minutes into this and I want to switch it off, one word... garbage. Hope it improves soon.

Why they thought we needed another Tomb Raider film is anybody's guess.

Shame the money couldn't have been spent on something more interesting.
    Django unchained.

After watching Inglorious and absolutley loving it last weekend, I revisited my favorite Tarantino film Django. This film is awesome but if I had to boil it down, it’s because it’s great to see this character get the revenge he deserves, and probably wouldn’t have gotten in real life. Like black panther was supposed to be the Bible for all african American people but I think this film is way cooler for african Americans. I mean Jamie Foxx is a bad ass and a hero I think. Anyway it did move down and now Inglorious is my fav Tarantino but they are really tied for me.

8/10

Two great films @JamesBondKenya

Have you seen Tarantino's other films?

Reservoir Dogs is my personal favourite. I saw it at the London Film Festival way back in the early 90's and it blew me away. I knew watching it at the time this guy was the best thing to happen to movies in a long time.

I like all his films.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Why they thought we needed another Tomb Raider film is anybody's guess.

Shame the money couldn't have been spent on something more interesting.

The game just does not translate to film, in this case a few scenes were lifted from the rebooted Tomb Raider, and for someone who has completed all but one of the games it was really bad to watch.

The money should have been donated to charity, poor Vikander she got unnecessarily shredded (which robbed her of some of her femininity) and just dumped in cgi scenes for the most part.

Django unchained.

8/10
    I'm glad to see someone else who has Inglourious Basterds as their favourite Tarantino entry. It's mine too. I really like Django as well, but for me it's more down to the performances, and particularly that especially tense dinner scene and aftermath (the equivalent of the pub scene in Basterds imho). DiCaprio is on fire in this film. This genre isn't my favourite though, and perhaps that stops me from putting it to high in the roster of Tarantino efforts. Still, I much prefer it to Hateful Eight.

Can't wait to see what he has planned for Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    THE NUN combines an eerie atmosphere, remotely reminiscent of some of Fulci and Argento's works, with Wan's lesser jump-scares. I'm still a firm believer in Wan's tremendous horror sensibilities--the man understands my ghost-house fears--but I hope AQUAMAN will be the better film of the two he's involved in this season. Fans of THE CONJURING should have some fun with this film, but if those two films never did it for you, I doubt you'll have a good night and fright with THE NUN.
    6/10
    I’ve just got back from this. Funnily enough, I thought the beginning was reminiscent of the many old Hammer Horror movies, but not in a good way. There was no plot to speak of, and the point at which the “holy relic” was introduced, the entire movie collapsed in on itself like a derelict cloisters. I also couldn’t stop thinking about the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch from Monty Python’s Holy Grail. I’m afraid it was this farcical to me. Sadly, poor Bonnie Aarons as the Demon Nun doesn’t get to do very much in her own movie that bares her name other than baring her gnashers every once in a while. I’ll admit that the early part of the movie had some nice eerie atmosphere, but only because it had heavily borrowed it wholesale from Roy Ward Baker and co. The Dolby stereo was the overall winner with a great score. 2/10
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Django unchained.

8/10

Reservoir Dogs is my personal favourite. I saw it at the London Film Festival way back in the early 90's and it blew me away. I knew watching it at the time this guy was the best thing to happen to movies in a long time.

I like all his films.

Yes I’ve seen all of his films with the exception of Jackie Brown and grindhouse. I also really like reservoir dogs, it’s my number 3 Tarantino film (above pulp fiction). I generally like his films but I hate the kill bill films . I cannot stand them, I find them really irritating.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Django unchained.

8/10
    I'm glad to see someone else who has Inglourious Basterds as their favourite Tarantino entry. It's mine too. I really like Django as well, but for me it's more down to the performances, and particularly that especially tense dinner scene and aftermath (the equivalent of the pub scene in Basterds imho). DiCaprio is on fire in this film. This genre isn't my favourite though, and perhaps that stops me from putting it to high in the roster of Tarantino efforts. Still, I much prefer it to Hateful Eight.

Yeah see, I really like westerns, so it works for me on that level too. It is better than the hateful 8, however I enjoyed that too. Though that hateful 8 is his worst film ( with the exception of the kill bills)
    Django unchained.

8/10

I like all his films.

Yes I’ve seen all of his films with the exception of Jackie Brown and grindhouse. I also really like reservoir dogs, it’s my number 3 Tarantino film (above pulp fiction). I generally like his films but I hate the kill bill films . I cannot stand them, I find them really irritating.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Django unchained.

8/10

Yeah see, I really like westerns, so it works for me on that level too. It is better than the hateful 8, however I enjoyed that too. Though that hateful 8 is his worst film ( with the exception of the kill bills)

Shame you don't like the Kill Bill films, but i highly recommend Jackie Brown. One of his best.

I'd also recommend his half of Grindhouse, Death Proof. With reservations, but it's still a cool film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,423
    The Ipcress File (1965):

ipcress_file_british_quad_poster.jpg

This film gets better as it ages like a fine wine. One of the greatest film noirs ever made, but rather involving a spy as the hero/antihero than a hard-boiled detective. Such a shame the subsequent films in the trilogy (or pentalogy if you count the 90s TV films) were absolute downgrades. It tells a very compelling story with an absolutely terrific cast, artistic and ingenious direction by Sidney J. Furie, and a spectacular cinematography by Otto Heller. But, above all... the film would've been nothing without John Barry's noirish Jazzy soundtrack that spews heart and soul, thus pulling you right into the film without trying to capture your attention by pulling any cliched stunts.

One stellar film!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,279
    The Ipcress File (1965):

This film gets better as it ages like a fine wine. One of the greatest film noirs ever made, but rather involving a spy as the hero/antihero than a hard-boiled detective. Such a shame the subsequent films in the trilogy (or pentalogy if you count the 90s TV films) were absolute downgrades. It tells a very compelling story with an absolutely terrific cast, artistic and ingenious direction by Sidney J. Furie, and a spectacular cinematography by Otto Heller. But, above all... the film would've been nothing without John Barry's noirish Jazzy soundtrack that spews heart and soul, thus pulling you right into the film without trying to capture your attention by pulling any cliched stunts.

One stellar film!

Oh, how I love The Ipcress File! Everything about this film is perfect, IMO – the cast, the score, Michael Caine. Easily one of my top three favourite films.

I also just love how they introduce Harry Palmer in the opening credits:

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Ipcress File (1965):

One stellar film!

Oh, how I love The Ipcress File! Everything about this film is perfect, IMO – the cast, the score, Michael Caine. Easily one of my top three favourite films.

It's definitely in my Top 25, that's for sure!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,279
    The Ipcress File (1965):

One stellar film!

It's definitely in my Top 25, that's for sure!

It's an interesting film to watch for the obvious Bond connections too, of course – John Barry, Harry Saltzman, Peter R. Hunt, Ken Adam – all Bond regulars.

Edit: Several comments in the comment section of the Ipcress File credits video, pointed out that the opening credits of Dexter (the TV series) is very similar:

The Ipcress File was one of those movies that I didn’t appreciate when I first saw it, maybe because I was too young at the time? I cannot remember the actual date when I first saw it, possibly the same year as I saw DAF in ‘71? Then I watched it again 15 years ago and was totally blown away by it. It’s certainly the best Harry Palmer movie out of the original trilogy. It’s a shame Saltzman abandoned the fourth entry, The Horse Under Water, in 1968 due to the poor reception of Billion Dollar Brain as I feel it would’ve been closer in tone to the first movie. Incidentally, I didn’t know that Andre De Toth was originally chosen by Saltzman to direct Billion Dollar Brain, but broke his neck in a skiing accident before shooting could commence, and that it was at his suggestion that Ken Russell be his replacement. Nor was I aware that when the third movie was released in the United States that there was a controversy, as it was felt to be too favorable towards the Soviets.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

Another very entertaining Cohens movie.
    The Amazing Spider-Man 1&2
    Doctor Strange
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2018 Posts: 6,721
    The Ipcress File (1965):

One stellar film!

Yes, Ipcress is a fine, fine film. The first time I watched it, I remember greatly enjoying the little twist after Palmer escapes from his captors. Disorientating, if you know what I mean. Also, great support from Guy Doleman and especially Nigel Green.

When I think of the film I always remember that scene in which they recover Dr. Radcliffe. Like a finely choreographed dance. I also enjoy that shot of the ambulance approaching, with Bluejay inside it, sitting on the dead center.

Regarding the 60s sequels, I haven't fully watched Billion Dollar Brain, but I have seen Funeral in Berlin. It's a good film. The cinematography of the original film is missed, though. The Ipcress File was shot in such a quirky, paranoia-infused way-- every other shot looks like it was taken from a spy camera placed in the room. Tilted camera angles, people placed in the extreme foreground or background...

Also, the score in Funeral is not bad --it suits the undercurrent of black comedy that runs through the film--, but the original film's score is more special.

In Billion Dollar Brain, I remember a moment in which Caine physically wrestles with Françoise Dorléac. It's shot with energetic handheld camera. Here, I found it, one minute into the video:

Great stuff.

There's also a great, striking jump cut later into the film, when Palmer arrives in Texas at night and you see something burning in some sort of protest or ceremony (I can't recall what it was). As I said, I haven't seen the film in full so I can't really pass judgment on it in general, but from what I saw, I remember enjoying the cinematography.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Made In Britain (1982)

Itself showcasing a sharp performance from a low mileage Tim Roth.
    CITY HEAT (1984)

In honor of the late, great Burt Reynolds I picked up this film the day. Been awhile since I watched it.

Set in Kansas City, 1933 Burt and Clint Eastwood are rival detectives reluctantly teaming up to investigate a killing.........or something like that. The plot in this film doesn't even remotely interest me. What I love is the period setting, the overall look and seeing these two '80's cinema giants on the screen together. The film is essentially a spoof of the classic 1930's Warner Bros gangster films with Cagney, Bogie and Eddie G.

Many critics and film-goers dismissed this one and understandably so. A lot about it probably doesn't quite work, but who cares? I enjoy it regardless. Besides, it's got a pre-Sanchez Robert Davi!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

Another very entertaining Cohens movie.

I hate that film.

Just don't like anything about it.

Anyway :

I watched this yesterday,loved it.

Ralph Fiennes is awesome in it,one of his best performances.

a_bigger_splash_plakat.jpg?itok=OUzb3vZm
    Blue Thunder (1983)
    dwzTR3G.jpg
    I was in the mood for some early 80’s crime fare and so took in a viewing of this John Badham (Saturday Night Fever, War Games, Stakeout) directed conspiracy thriller about a state of the art military style tactical helicopter. The machine is ostensibly created originally for police use, to surveil Los Angeles citizenry and quell potential protests and civil disobedience anticipated during the 1984 Olympics. However, as the film progresses it is revealed that this is just a ruse, and the real ambition is to use the copter as an offensive weapon to exterminate political opponents. Roy Scheider stars as Frank Murphy, a former Vietnam Vet and LAPD air support cop who inadvertently discovers the nefarious plan and takes it upon himself to thwart it and expose the conspirators. Malcolm McDowell is deliciously evil as Colonel F.E. Cochran, Murphy’s nemesis with whom he shares personal animosity and history from 'Nam.

The film is a bit clichéd and has many tropes from the era (disobedient renegade cop, PTSD, fear of tech, pulsing synthesizer score etc. etc.) but is also highly entertaining, boasting state of the art mid air chase sequences and night scenes around LA. Some of these scenes are actually so well done that I wondered if they served as inspiration for the aerial city finales in True Lies and The Dark Knight Rises. Certainly the Batwing (aka “The Bat”) in the latter film bears more than a passing resemblance to Blue Thunder, with its brutish tank like front end prominently displaying weaponry and tangential planes. The copter itself also reminds me of "The Tiger" helicopter from GE. The first time it's revealed here is quite a sight, as it emerges out of the glistening sun in the Mojave Desert in a scene reminiscent of Apocalypse Now.

If you’re in the mood for testosterone filled dated but mindless fun, you can do far worse than this, and Scheider is always watchable. Additionally, the fear about tech based surveillance being abused by governments to invade privacy is as topical as ever, as is the concern about police militarization.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I prefer Blue Thunder to Firefox, which for some reason it feels natural to compare it to. Saw them both in the cinema when they came out.