Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,395
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Rises first watch in 4k, I do watch this film the most from the trilogy though watching it immediately after TDK there is a obvious drop in quality in the script.

It's not as sharp, but it IS more epic, IMHO.

Agree the Bane v Batman pt 1 is intense, Bane is totally believable as a formidable adversary.

It's like Nolan was going for a realist progression from inception to force of nature to last gasp. His trilogy was like... life...

There is a cerebral journey with the trilogy that is subtle, Birth, Death and Rebirth. Batman/Bruce is symbiotic with Gotham in this regard, the films always inspire me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Dark Knight Rises first watch in 4k, I do watch this film the most from the trilogy though watching it immediately after TDK there is a obvious drop in quality in the script.

It's not as sharp, but it IS more epic, IMHO.

Agree the Bane v Batman pt 1 is intense, Bane is totally believable as a formidable adversary.

It's like Nolan was going for a realist progression from inception to force of nature to last gasp. His trilogy was like... life...

There is a cerebral journey with the trilogy that is subtle, Birth, Death and Rebirth. Batman/Bruce is symbiotic with Gotham in this regard, the films always inspire me.

It's like the journey we never saw in Bond movies, but were meant to based on the last novels....
    Just seen Equalizer 2. Not a patch on the first movie. I found it too plodding and sagging throughout, plus I didn’t care for the black hipster sidestory - too reminiscent of TJ in A Walk Among the Tombstones - in fact it was pretty much identical to that movie. The writers should’ve just stuck with delivering McCall’s brand of vigilante style justice without any well-meaning messages about the hood, especially for the second movie. I mean, what happened to McCall simply putting ads in the newspaper marketing to desperate people in desperate situations? That whole premise has been junked for something far more preposterous instead. Let’s hope that if there’s an E3, that they have the good sense to drop the personal angle and just go with McCall being a badass. In saying that, the climax was pretty decent, but unfortunately telegraphed with constant hurricane news alerts which did more than deliver simple foreshadowing.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Baby Driver

I enjoyed every moment of it. Highly entertaining and Edgar Wright should direct B25.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    A Quentin Tarantino double bill

Death Proof

I like this film i really do but i do tend to skip parts of it. The scene where the second buch of girls are talking in the diner really drags. The dialogue ain't that interesting.

The action is really well filmed and all done with real stuntwork (Take note F&F)

The sequence where Stuntman Mike crashes head first into the girls car is one of the best edited moments of all Tarantino's films.

The Hateful Eight

Second viewing of this and even better second time around. Yeah the stagecoach journey seems to take forever but it's a film to revel in and i watched it over two days.

Love the 'Jessica Fletcher' moment from Samuel L Jackson as he puts all the clues together.

Great ending as well with the Lincoln letter.

Just love Tarantino's films!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Foreigner (2017) dir. Martin Campbell. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan face off in a tense thriller. Well worth a watch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Foreigner (2017) dir. Martin Campbell. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan face off in a tense thriller. Well worth a watch.
    It's an excellent film, particularly given the budget on which it was made. Campbell still has it in my view. Rumours on this forum of his directorial decline on account of age have been greatly exaggerated.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Creasy47 just finished watching Wind River That's one tense movie, excellent film I need to check out other Taylor Sheridan work.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,295
    I really enjoy Death Proof, although it's been years since I watched it. I agree that there are parts that drags on a bit, but I can forgive this as Tarantino makes up for it in other scenes.

For some reason I've yet to watch The Hateful Eight. I have it on DVD, but somehow haven't been in the mood for a western in a long time. Thinking about watching it closer to Christmas (it sounds like a great film to watch during winter).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @LeonardPine, I'll always defend Death Proof - it might be his weakest, but the dialogue is rich and engaging, as is the norm for Tarantino's world, and the chase scenes make up for any pacing issues (seeing the tables turned for a bumbling, wailing Kurt Russell in the film's final moments is gold). I couldn't imagine fast-forwarding throughout any of his films, but if I ever did, that'd likely occur during some of the Paris scenes in Inglourious Basterds.
    I have been planning to see Basterds again shortly. Mention of it here makes me want to do it tonight.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have been planning to see Basterds again shortly. Mention of it here makes me want to do it tonight.

Much like the recent Indiana Jones talk that has me itching for a rewatch of that series, I'm now feeling a Tarantino marathon, too, which I had originally planned to save for a few months prior to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood releasing later next year.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,112
    It's an excellent film, particularly given the budget on which it was made. Campbell still has it in my view. Rumours on this forum of his directorial decline on account of age have been greatly exaggerated.

That's putting it lightly. Some think because he's over 70 he should be thrown on the scrap heap. I'd be delighted if he returned in to Bond.
    Basterds have some scenes that drags a bit too, but not enough for me to fast forward through. Regarding the scenes in France, I've always liked this one:

Basterds have some scenes that drags a bit too, but not enough for me to fast forward through. Regarding the scenes in France, I've always liked this one:

Amazing scene. I love all of the Paris scenes personally, and especially the one on one encounters between Laurent and Bruhl. It's such a cool film.

Amazing scene. I love all of the Paris scenes personally, and especially the one on one encounters between Laurent and Bruhl. It's such a cool film.

This is when the film tends to drag for me, I'm not sure why. They're both great actors, just something about these scenes that makes me tune out and not really care. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't dream of fast forwarding through them.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is when the film tends to drag for me, I'm not sure why. They're both great actors, just something about these scenes that makes me tune out and not really care. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't dream of fast forwarding through them.
    Wow. Ok, I suppose there's a fair amount of it so if it doesn't work for you then it could feel a bit much. I just love the banter, particularly given I have to read it via subtitles while trying to make sense of the French & German. It's pretty smooth in that Tarantino way, but with more finesse and polish than he normally brings imho. Dare I say, more European. I suppose that's what I like about this film on the whole.
    I really love how Basterds feel more European than American – even though it has the unmistakable "Tarantino touch" to it. I also think it's great to see the actors speak German and French, and not just English with a thick accent, which i so common in many Hollywood productions.

How does the English speaking audience handle having to read subtitles, by the way? I remember a Norwegian film (can't remember which), where they had to shoot every scene in the film twice – once in Norwegian and once in English, for distribution purposes in the US and the UK.
    How does the English speaking audience handle having to read subtitles, by the way? I remember a Norwegian film (can't remember which), where they had to shoot every scene in the film twice – once in Norwegian and once in English, for distribution purposes in the US and the UK.
    I personally have no problem with it, and actually loved it in Basterds, Black Book and also the original Swedish Larsson Tattoo adaptations. I especially enjoyed it in the Tarantino flick because I know a little German and can speak French (but poorly), so it was fun trying to figure out what they were saying as well as reading it.
    I personally have no problem with it, and actually loved it in Basterds, Black Book and also the original Swedish Larsson Tattoo adaptations. I especially enjoyed it in the Tarantino flick because I know a little German and can speak French (but poorly), so it was fun trying to figure out what they were saying as well as reading it.

There's always been talk about the difficulties of getting foreign films distributed in the US/UK because of the need for subtitles; wonder how much truth there is to that.

Only know very little German myself (words more than complete sentences), but I share the enjoyment trying to pick up what they're saying on-screen in Basterds. The usage of French and German definitely adds something to the film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I really love how Basterds feel more European than American – even though it has the unmistakable "Tarantino touch" to it. I also think it's great to see the actors speak German and French, and not just English with a thick accent, which i so common in many Hollywood productions.

I don't think QT has hit this level since, Django and H8 just aren't in the same class, I love it has that European feel and the performances are all good, Waltz is incredible and the dialogue is delicious.

Jackie Brown is my favourite and Dogs gets 2nd place just because it's such a visceral thrill of a film and it really was something different at the time but IB would take my 3rd spot, yes I do prefer all 3 to Pulp Fiction.

I do hope Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is a return to form, something IB level would make me more than happy.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I don't think QT has hit this level since, Django and H8 just aren't in the same class, I love it has that European feel and the performances are all good, Waltz is incredible and the dialogue is delicious.

Jackie Brown is my favourite and Dogs gets 2nd place just because it's such a visceral thrill of a film and it really was something different at the time but IB would take my 3rd spot, yes I do prefer all 3 to Pulp Fiction.

I do hope Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is a return to form, something IB level would make me more than happy.

Django was a "mid-table" Tarantino film for me. Have yet to watch H8, so can't comment on that one. The plot looks interesting though. If I were to rank the films based on the most recent viewings (which were some time ago), it would look something like this, I think:

1. Inglourious Basterds/Jackie Brown
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Death Proof
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Kill Bill V. 1/2

I've never been much of a martial arts/sword fight/revenge film fan, so the Kill Bill films are the ones I usually skip watching in favour of the other six. I really look forward to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. It's an interesting time and place to base the story on, and the cast looks interesting (as usual in Tarantino films).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043

Django was a "mid-table" Tarantino film for me. Have yet to watch H8, so can't comment on that one. The plot looks interesting though. If I were to rank the films based on the most recent viewings (which were some time ago), it would look something like this, I think:

2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Death Proof
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Kill Bill V. 1/2

I've never been much of a martial arts/sword fight/revenge film fan, so the Kill Bill films are the ones I usually skip watching in favour of the other six. I really look forward to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. It's an interesting time and place to base the story on, and the cast looks interesting (as usual in Tarantino films).

DP is the only one I don't own, I didn't like it, but KB 2 would be the next worse for me. The cast I think is the aspect of OUATIH that worries me a little it's incredible and competes with what Scorcese has assembled for The Irishman, incidentally my 2 films for 2019 irregardless that Bond 25 is coming out and it is coming out. The film has to live up to that cast which isn't just A listers, some talented character actors and also some faces from the past it's one of the most extraordinary casts in recent memory.

I only watch H8 again recently and it has issues, too long, a jarring narration by QT and too much white actors using the N word, my Wife also objected to the violence levelled out on the JJL character.

It looks stunning, the production values and eye for detail, mind Richardsons cinematograpy is extraordinary and Morricone's score is fanstastic so definitely worth a watch, shades of The Thing and Agatha Christie in there. Also everyone of the main cast are great, Jackson and Goggins are the highlight for me though.

2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Death Proof
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Kill Bill V. 1/2

DP is the only one I don't own, I didn't like it, but KB 2 would be the next worse for me. The cast I think is the aspect of OUATIH that worries me a little it's incredible and competes with what Scorcese has assembled for The Irishman, incidentally my 2 films for 2019 irregardless that Bond 25 is coming out and it is coming out. The film has to live up to that cast which isn't just A listers, some talented character actors and also some faces from the past it's one of the most extraordinary casts in recent memory.

DP is a film you either enjoy or don't I think. I watched it for the first time when I was getting into B films and 70's cinema, and that definitely had an impact on how I enjoyed it. It's also a part of the Grindhouse double-feature with Robert Rodríguez' Planet Terror, and I feel like you need to watch both to really get the full experience.

Had to check the cast for The Irishman, as I knew nothing about it. WOW! This will definitely be a film to watch next year. You don't see a cast like that often these days.
    I only watch H8 again recently and it has issues, too long, a jarring narration by QT and too much white actors using the N word, my Wife also objected to the violence levelled out on the JJL character.

It looks stunning, the production values and eye for detail, mind Richardsons cinematograpy is extraordinary and Morricone's score is fanstastic so definitely worth a watch, shades of The Thing and Agatha Christie in there. Also everyone of the main cast are great, Jackson and Goggins are the highlight for me though.

I think part of the reason I haven't watched H8 yet, is the length. Just need to know I'm in the mood for watching a film that long before I see it. It's been a issue for me quite some time now. With all these great TV shows around, you kind of get used to setting aside 45 mins/an hour now and then, making the step up to setting aside anything above two hours a bit of a task, really.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 17,691
    I just got Jackie Brown on Bluray, haven't viewed this version yet. But I will.

One of my favorites of Tarantino's, I find it wildly underrated.

One of my favorites of Tarantino's, I find it wildly underrated.

My memory of my last DVD viewing was that it was his most restrained and thus most interesting film.
    Definitely his most restrained, almost feels the least like a Tarantino movie compared to, say, the likes of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. I love it.
    Definitely his most restrained, almost feels the least like a Tarantino movie compared to, say, the likes of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. I love it.
    Yeah, I think he was playing less fast & loose because of the script and his affection for his star. And NO ONE growing up in the Seventies didn't have a thing for Pam..... ;)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Funnily enough I actually rewatched it this weekend, and man did I have a good time. The lines are so good and quotable. He performances are fantastic and the tension is high. What more can someone want