Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Foreigner (2017) dir. Martin Campbell. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan face off in a tense thriller. Well worth a watch.
    It's an excellent film, particularly given the budget on which it was made. Campbell still has it in my view. Rumours on this forum of his directorial decline on account of age have been greatly exaggerated.
    I agree with your assessment of the film and it’s director; Martin Campbell absolutely still has “it”.
    Recent videos show him to be fit, energetic, enthusiastic and more than ready if called by EON.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Foreigner (2017) dir. Martin Campbell. Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan face off in a tense thriller. Well worth a watch.
    It's an excellent film, particularly given the budget on which it was made. Campbell still has it in my view. Rumours on this forum of his directorial decline on account of age have been greatly exaggerated.

Really enjoyed The Foreigner. One of the pleasant surprises this year. And Martin Campbell definitely hasn't lost his mojo!
    This :

DYuHfqSEmipXayiU8yo-dhBkTYif6C988UkmCpyCBnsemeNTAOcyZZ27vRp9C887KD-wJug-zAsiew

Great,understated film.
    Kurt Russell is the MAN...one of my all time favourite actors.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

How does the English speaking audience handle having to read subtitles, by the way? I remember a Norwegian film (can't remember which), where they had to shoot every scene in the film twice – once in Norwegian and once in English, for distribution purposes in the US and the UK.

Maybe you are thinking of the tv series VIKINGANE/NORSEMEN
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,297

How does the English speaking audience handle having to read subtitles, by the way? I remember a Norwegian film (can't remember which), where they had to shoot every scene in the film twice – once in Norwegian and once in English, for distribution purposes in the US and the UK.

No, it was definitely a movie. There's an English version of Vikingane too?

• edited September 2018 Posts: 17,297

How about that! I've never heard/read anything about this. Love how they didn't try to hide their Norwegian accents - particularly Kåre Conradi.

How about that! I've never heard/read anything about this. Love how they didn't try to hide their Norwegian accents - particularly Kåre Conradi.

They all massively exaggerate them, it is a gimmick to make their whereabouts recognizable.

They all massively exaggerate them, it is a gimmick to make their whereabouts recognizable.

Of course, that makes it all the more fun!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I just happened to watch Payback (1999). It gets more enjoyable with each viewing, and it's definitely in my Top 50 films. A neo-noir film that is timeless. Mel Gibson plays the hard-boiled cynical street-smart protagonist that's supposed to be Richard Stark's Parker stand-in all too brilliantly, and dare I say, out of all the actors who portrayed their Parker counterparts (including Statham, who's the only actor to actually play Parker), Mel Gibson is without a shadow of doubt the best one, surpassing Lee Marvin quite easily.

Ey2ooeS.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but I seriously want Mel Gibson to come back and play Parker (this time with the actual name) once more very similarly in tone to Payback. In fact, bring back the entire team from the previous production and rely on the tone of the theatrical cut of the aforementioned theatrical title.

While I like Payback: Straight Up, I definitely prefer the original cut rather than the director's cut, despite the latter being closer to the novel it was adapted from.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not too certain about the differences, but I've seen Payback a few times over the years and I agree, it seems to get better and better with each viewing. Gibson is great in it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Payback is one of Gibsons best films, I do like Point Blank with Lee Marvin I really should buy that on Bluray its been a while since I have watched Boorman"s Masterpiece.
    Payback is one of Gibsons best films, I do like Point Blank with Lee Marvin I really should buy that on Bluray its been a while since I have watched Boorman"s Masterpiece.

Ahh yes, I think the last time I discussed Payback on here years ago, someone mentioned Point Blank. Checked it out on their recommendation and thought it was excellent. Marvin is so cool in that, such a commanding presence.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,395
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Ahh yes, I think the last time I discussed Payback on here years ago, someone mentioned Point Blank. Checked it out on their recommendation and thought it was excellent. Marvin is so cool in that, such a commanding presence.

Just seen a premium edition of Point Blank on Amazon with picture cards I am tempted, it's a great film ahead of its time in the genre. Marvin is a badass for sure, a great actor.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,038
    I love PAYBACK, and I happen to appreciate both cuts. If I had to choose, though, I'd lean towards the theatrical.
    Go for it! Can't beat those editions with extra collectibles attached. You never know just how rare they'll be or what they may be worth eventually. I could use a rewatch of the film myself.
    Go for it! Can't beat those editions with extra collectibles attached. You never know just how rare they'll be or what they may be worth eventually. I could use a rewatch of the film myself.

I am tempted I'll shop around to see if I can find it cheaper, the set looks similar to the Munich one I got it must be part of the same premium series.
    I love PAYBACK, and I happen to appreciate both cuts. If I had to choose, though, I'd lean towards the theatrical.

I have the Bluray with both versions I have still not watched the alternate cut, definitely need to check it out and compare the two versions.

I am tempted I'll shop around to see if I can find it cheaper, the set looks similar to the Munich one I got it must be part of the same premium series.

I knew I had spoken to you previously about you getting a special edition with collectibles of Munich - still jealous of that one! I can't recall, did you end up seeing it? I want to say you mentioned it was a blind buy.

I knew I had spoken to you previously about you getting a special edition with collectibles of Munich - still jealous of that one! I can't recall, did you end up seeing it? I want to say you mentioned it was a blind buy.

Shockingly I still have not watched it, I will get round to it though I just seem to have too much other things to watch. I don't think I posted the set...

gplus-1518130545.jpg
    Hopefully you see it sooner rather than later, can't recommend it enough. The picture of the set isn't loading for me, I'm afraid.
    Hopefully you see it sooner rather than later, can't recommend it enough. The picture of the set isn't loading for me, I'm afraid.

It's not the best of photos not great resolution, I'll will try and watch Munich on Friday in fact I have put it on top of my bluray player to remind me.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Christopher Robin Absolutely wonderful! Definitely seems more geared for adults than children (in fact that’s really the whole message of the film). It starts rather slow but the slow beginning is necessary to establish the story for the rest of the movie. I was surprised to see that it was directed by Marc Forester.
    Spiderman : Homecoming
    Avengers : Infinity War
    I just happened to watch Payback (1999). It gets more enjoyable with each viewing, and it's definitely in my Top 50 films. A neo-noir film that is timeless. Mel Gibson plays the hard-boiled cynical street-smart protagonist that's supposed to be Richard Stark's Parker stand-in all too brilliantly, and dare I say, out of all the actors who portrayed their Parker counterparts (including Statham, who's the only actor to actually play Parker), Mel Gibson is without a shadow of doubt the best one, surpassing Lee Marvin quite easily.

Ey2ooeS.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but I seriously want Mel Gibson to come back and play Parker (this time with the actual name) once more very similarly in tone to Payback. In fact, bring back the entire team from the previous production and rely on the tone of the theatrical cut of the aforementioned theatrical title.

While I like Payback: Straight Up, I definitely prefer the original cut rather than the director's cut, despite the latter being closer to the novel it was adapted from.

Though I enjoyed Payback, I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Point Blank!
    And Lee Marvin is far more impressive than Gibson. For me it's the rather awkward and at times silly humour that holds Payback from being a classic! Great score though!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Ey2ooeS.jpg

Though I enjoyed Payback, I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Point Blank!
    And Lee Marvin is far more impressive than Gibson. For me it's the rather awkward and at times silly humour that holds Payback from being a classic! Great score though!
    While I do love Point Blank, it drifts away from the novel too much and Marvin's character is hardly identifiable as Parker, despite how much I love Marvin. Then again, I'm hardly a fan of John Boorman. The film's "La Nouvelle Vague" style narrative is the only downside of it (something I vehemently hate) which at times feels like it's directed by Jean-Luc Godard, a director I can't stand.

Payback on the other hand is more straightforward, and adapts the novel's storyline really well for its then-contemporary setting. I'd love to see Gibson playing the Parker character one more time in the same style (and not "Porter" as depicted in Payback due Westlake's unusual vetoing of calling the main character that on-screen in one-off films).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Point Blank and Payback were both good, but The Outfit is better.
    Don't know, Major. The last time I watched The Outfit, it didn't look too inviting as much as the others did. Of the five films I've seen based on Richard Stark's Parker novels, The Outfit is the weakest, like it was made on a tight budget.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Don't know, Major. The last time I watched The Outfit, it didn't look too inviting as much as the others did. Of the five films I've seen based on Richard Stark's Parker novels, The Outfit is the weakest, like it was made on a tight budget.

The only two I didn't like were Made In USA and Slayground.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,423

The only two I didn't like were Made In USA and Slayground.
    I haven't seen them, but I do hear Peter Coyote's Slayground is awfully bad, so I don't think I have much interest in it. Made In USA is a La Nouvelle Vague/Godard film that doesn't even feature a Parker substitute, so that immediately eliminates my chances of seeing it.

So far, here's how I rank the films:
    1-Payback (1999)
    2-Point Blank (1967)
    3-The Split (1968)
    4-Parker (2013)
    5-The Outfit (1973)