Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Jones went darker with the second entry, just like Star Wars.

That's usually the way with trilogies.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »

You are probably right. What others are you thinking of?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Capture_d_e_cran_2018_09_01_a_20_27_00.png

;)

Capture_d_e_cran_2018_09_01_a_20_27_00.png

;)

Haha, good one.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,113
    The Indiana Jones trilogy is probably the best trilogy ever made, in terms of there not being a weak link. They are all to such a high standard, even if we differ about the order.

It's almost sad in a way. If this kind of action films is what we were capable of in the eighties, you'd think 30 years on we would be capable of so much more. Instead, it seems like we are moving backwards. Now action films are lauded if just a few scenes are shot practically, and often they don't even bother filming on location anymore.
    Indiana Jones isn t a trilogy.
    Indiana Jones isn t a trilogy.

How so? It has a middle, then a beginning, and an end... ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    What are you chaps talking about? Crystal Skull is the best installment in the series. ;)
    What are you chaps talking about? Crystal Skull is the best installment in the series. ;)

It s a worthy inclusion. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    In all seriousness, I really don't think it deserves the hatred it gets from the fans. I rather enjoyed it myself back in the day.
    In all seriousness, I really don't think it deserves the hatred it gets from the fans. I rather enjoyed it myself back in the day.

It was pretty good. But the previous ones were remarkable.
    It was pretty good. But the previous ones were remarkable.
    Exactly.
    The CGI looked terrible in parts.
    Same thing happened in DAD. Doesn't mean neither of them were entertaining. ;)
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,113

I didn't say that it did. But it does take away that visceral feeling of practical action. ;)

I didn't say that it did. But it does take away that visceral feeling of practical action. ;)

I thought most of the CGI worked well- certainly the interdimensional ship reveal was impressive.
    But those monkeys..... GRRRR ARGHHH
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll have to rewatch it. I was severely disappointed when I saw it in theaters. I saw it partially after it came out on DVD. Things about it just felt so out of place in an Indiana Jones film. The obvious and poor CGI work didn't help things either.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'll have to rewatch it. I was severely disappointed when I saw it in theaters. I saw it partially after it came out on DVD. Things about it just felt so out of place in an Indiana Jones film. The obvious and poor CGI work didn't help things either.

The fridge thing and the snake-as-rope gag both tested my patience.
    I did actually just recently give it another chance. While it's not as horrible as I remembered, it's still nowhere close to the high quality of the original 3 films. It does feel out of place though many times, thanks to the bad CGI and other odd moments. It's an okay film in general, but definitely weak compared to the original trilogy.
    Talk about the spinning UFOs. :))
    The fridge comes across like the "Indie meets Hitler" gag from the third film. Something that should have been left out entirely. That being said, I don't think it's the travesty some seem to. I like watching him think on his feet, and the fruit getting caught in the door was a nice touch.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Crystal Skull is good in moments. The area 51 warehouse scene is enjoyable, the filler area when Indy is fired and I actually don't mind the motorcycle chase. The Peru scenes are decent up until the snake/quicksand part, then it goes downhill for me. I've only scene the finale maybe twice since I usually lose interest at about the 2/3rds Mark.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 17,691
    The fridge comes across like the "Indie meets Hitler" gag from the third film.
    Indy facing Hitler was a chilling moment for me, then & now. William's SUPERB music made it all the more intense. Sorry man, that was an amazing thing. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
    2GOIszf.jpg
    I just finished the third installment in the Indy series. This remains my favourite of the lot after this viewing, although the gap between it and Temple of Doom has narrowed somewhat. I still prefer both to the lauded Raiders. What makes this film work so well for me in addition to the action is the tone and humour. It all clicks so well and is delivered in just the right quantities for my palette. There’s a bit of Bondian style and glamour here too, courtesy of Miss Jenny Flex herself. The lovely Alison Doody plays historian Dr. Elsa Schneider and maintains a half credible Austrian accent throughout. However what makes this film, imho, is the legend himself: Big Sean Connery. Casting him as Indy’s son was a masterstroke by Spielberg. Harrison Ford is one of the most charismatic and famous actors ever - a true star of the first order. Who better to play his dad than one of the most commanding screen presences of all time. Connery is a delight here, and marvelously plays against type. His bespectacled, almost bumbling stern bookworm character is a hoot, and Ford and he play off each other beautifully. Both had the privilege of getting it on with Dr. Schneider and the repartee regarding such encounter is especially memorable, among other fun banter.

The action set pieces are superbly staged as expected in this franchise, and Spielberg once again shows why he is one of the best in the business, effortlessly balancing and coordinating the humour, suspense and tension. If there is a complaint, it’s that this film is a bit too reminiscent of Raiders, but that’s a minor quibble. Ultimately it does what it should, which is to entertain and amuse. Lots of Bond film actors show up here too, which is an added bonus. Apart from Connery and Doody, there’s also Julian Glover, John Rhys-Davies, Michael Byrne, Pat Roach and Vernon Dobtcheff. No wonder this is my favourite! This was the biggest film globally of 1989, besting Batman and thrashing LTK, whose global gross it considerably beat just in the US alone. It was a good note to go out on.

I didn't mind the fridge thing or the snake gag. I hated the Jeep sword fight and Mutt's monkey vine swinging. I didn't care for Mutt Williams either. :))
    I didn't mind the fridge thing or the snake gag. I hated the Jeep sword fight and Mutt's monkey vine swinging. I didn't care for Mutt Williams either. :))

I was okay with the Jeep sword fight, but yeah, I can't disagree with the other two. May be why I've only watched this movie 4 times, and all the others COUNTLESS times, I guess...
    The only thing I can remember from IJ4 is Cate Blanchett :-D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I severely disliked that character, and the annoying actor who played him.
    She was excellent, as she is in everything.

I may view that one soon to complete the set, but truth be told I'm not all that keen.
    bondjames wrote: »
    She was excellent, as she is in everything.

She really is!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I severely disliked that character, and the annoying actor who played him.
    Same here. Can't stand Shia Labeouf