Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Most of his work is very generic and forgettable, but people seemed to love his adaptation of Gerald's Game (another Stephen King novel), so perhaps that's why he got the gig.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Most of his work is very generic and forgettable, but people seemed to love his adaptation of Gerald's Game (another Stephen King novel), so perhaps that's why he got the gig.
    I saw Gerald's Game. It wasn't bad. Hopefully he steps up and knocks it out of the park.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mandy

What a brutal, haunting, mesmerizing fever dream that was. Another Top 10 of the Year entry for me I believe, with stellar performances throughout. It definitely takes a while for things to properly get going, but if you like the eerie cult angle on display, then you'll be entertained the entire runtime as I was. Very intriguing, I guarantee it'll be one of the more unique films you experience in quite some time, elevated by the late Johann Johannsson's ethereal score.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mandy

What a brutal, haunting, mesmerizing fever dream that was. Another Top 10 of the Year entry for me I believe, with stellar performances throughout. It definitely takes a while for things to properly get going, but if you like the eerie cult angle on display, then you'll be entertained the entire runtime as I was. Very intriguing, I guarantee it'll be one of the more unique films you experience in quite some time, elevated by the late Johann Johannsson's ethereal score.

Be watching this soon. Looking forward to it.
    I really wanted to like Mandy, but I ended up disliking it. The dialogue was woeful.
    The Predator

Nothing like the first two Predator movies. It was action comedy. Felt a little like Disney owned movie, with a lot of cursing and cgi blood thrown in the mix to make it feel like it was trying to be hard R, like the first two.

But funny enough I enjoyed it for what it was. But it has nothing on the originals.
    Southern Comfort (1981)
    Used to be my favourite Walter Hill film, but at least 3 others above it now. Still an excellent film.
    A group of National Guard troops on training in the swamps of Louisiana, end up getting lost and when a practical joke against the local Cajun, goes wrong, they find themselves been hunted!
    Unfairly compared to Deliverance, and with Vietnam allegory claims (denied by Hill) this is a cracking thriller with a superb ensemble cast including Powers Boothe, Fred Ward, Peter Coyote and Keith Carradine! Great production values (never has a swamp looked so good under Andrew Laszlos cinematography!) Hill stages great set pieces...an attack by wild dogs, trees being felled in their path and it builds to a terrificly tense finale in a Cajun village, accompanied by a great Ry Cooder score!
    The cast all get to shine (Carradine has a memorable speech about how long it will take for a search party to come looking for them!)
    And even lesser known supporting actors (the villagers, the hunters) make an impression. Am in the mood for more of Hills work, maybe Johnny Handsome, or The Driver next!
    A sequel to THE SHINING? I am intrigued. A director in place?

The cast is excellent but the director leaves a lot to be desired. It'll be an adaptation of King's Doctor Sleep novel:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5606664/

How would this work,since
    Jack dies in the first film,how can he be an old man ?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    barryt007 wrote: »

The cast is excellent but the director leaves a lot to be desired. It'll be an adaptation of King's Doctor Sleep novel:

The most likely answer would be that it follows the book rather than the film. It'll likely be broad strokes stand alone, not a true sequel.
    barryt007 wrote: »

The most likely answer would be that it follows the book rather than the film. It'll likely be broad strokes stand alone, not a true sequel.

Agreed,i cant really see any alternative.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,700
    I just finished watching The Valachi Papers. What's there not to like for a Bond fan: Direction by Terence Young, among the actors: Joseph Wiseman, Anthony Dawson. Not to mention, for non-Bond reasons, Charles Bronson (and the unavoidable Jill Ireland) and Lino Ventura. A sort of epic Mafia story, and the historical set-up should do the rest.

But alas, it just didn't add up for me. The two hours plus five minutes dragged in places. Acting was so-so. Joseph Wiseman gave an absolute caricature of a 1930s Mafia Boss, complete with an exaggerated fake Italian accent. But what annoyed me the most was the sloppiness with which they created the historical setting. When Valachi/Bronson drives a car into the East or Hudson River (whichever it might be), and this is supposed to be 1931 judging from the license plate, you see not only the Brooklyn Bridge in the background (which was there at the time), but quite obviously the World Trade Center twin towers, still under construction at the time of filming about forty years later, I believe. There are several scenes in which the gangsters' 1930s' car drives through NYC night traffic...surrounded by a bunch of late 1950s tailfinned cars*. Even when the movie shows Valachi browsing through B/W photographs of assassinations taking place in the '30s, the pictures show 1950s' cars with those wraparound windshields and the like. In one scene, the U.S. flag is obviously one with 50 stars, more than 20 years before Alaska and Hawaii were added.

*I just learned from IMDb in their "Goofs" section it is in fact a 1960 Ford in the first instance. Also, my other complaints have been levied by others as well.

Anyway, this cheapens the movie for me quite considerably. Why can't they do something like that right, instead of failing to do so just to possibly save some bucks?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Am in the mood for more of Hills work, maybe Johnny Handsome, or The Driver next!
    I love The Driver. It may be my second favourite Hill movie behind The Warriors.
    BTW, a more grown-up version of The Warriors is Judgement Night (1993, dir. Stephen Hopkins of Predator 2 fame). Very good obviously Hill-inspired flick.
  • Dune (1984)

Wow... This was a mess. TERRIBLE MOVIE.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dune (1984)

The worst Lynch has ever done.
    Lynch's Dune is pretty lame. He is one of those hit-and-miss directors for me. I think Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and The Elephant Man are all excellent, and The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive are pretty solid as well. The other 5 of his I don't care too much for.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,985
    Dune (1984)

The worst Lynch has ever done.

To be fair it was an ambitious project to take on and i think during filming Lynch realized the film was going to be a lemon.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I love Dune 1984, I'll get my coat.
    It has a fine music score.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It has a fine music score.

I have the score it is very good
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bullseye (1990)
    bullseye%2Bposter.jpg

This movie was bonkers but it was hilarious. It's a very cheap looking film but it's worth watching to see Michael Caine and Roger Moore in duel roles. Caine's American accent is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. Some familiar faces show up as well. It's a pretty entertaining movie. :))
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,297
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bullseye (1990)
    bullseye%2Bposter.jpg

This movie was bonkers but it was hilarious. It's a very cheap looking film but it's worth watching to see Michael Caine and Roger Moore in duel roles. Caine's American accent is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. Some familiar faces show up as well. It's a pretty entertaining movie. :))

I need to watch this film! Two of my favourite actors right there - and together! :-D
    I need to watch this film! Two of my favourite actors right there - and together! :-D

It's worth a watch. If you look past the cheap production design, It's really entertaining. I thought all the jokes were hilarious. Moore and Caine do what they do best. You won't regret it.
    Bullseye (1990)
    bullseye%2Bposter.jpg

I love this movie.

And that castle balcony gag. So stupid! :))

It's worth a watch. If you look past the cheap production design, It's really entertaining. I thought all the jokes were hilarious. Moore and Caine do what they do best. You won't regret it.

Sold! Will try to find a copy eventually (edit: looks like Amazon got it). :-)

I watched it on youtube. :))

Thanks for the link; bookmarked it for viewing later!

Tell us what you thought!
    Sadly the audio cuts out at one point for a few minutes.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Tell us what you thought!

I most definitely will! I know I've heard about this film before, but didn't know before @Murdock posted about it just now, that Moore and Caine played together in the film.
    Sadly the audio cuts out at one point for a few minutes.

Hopefully you won't lose out on stuff that's important for the plot?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,395
    Bullseye (1990)
    bullseye%2Bposter.jpg

I watched Bullseye on release its daft and very much a British film if its time. Its crazy that Michael Winner directed it, and Winners wife was in it Jenny Seagrove.