No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    That American Animals whatsit is getting ALOT of positive buzz, whereas White Boy Rick definitely isn't. Don't know how that effects things.
    This Layton guy came out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious possibility. He's got writing skills too, and I don't think Demange does.

I think they both came out of nowhere, right?

Hollywood seems to have fallen in love with the idea of giving lesser known directors with strong debut films the keys to their juggernauts. Just look at Jurassic world.
    True. I'm open to it.

May be there's something to be said for handing someone young and hungry the reins

I think it could be a risk worth taking with a director EON feels comfortable with.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That American Animals whatsit is getting ALOT of positive buzz, whereas White Boy Rick definitely isn't. Don't know how that effects things.
    This Layton guy came out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious possibility. He's got writing skills too, and I don't think Demange does.

Hollywood seems to have fallen in love with the idea of giving lesser known directors with strong debut films the keys to their juggernauts. Just look at Jurassic world.
    True. I'm open to it.

May be there's something to be said for handing someone young and hungry the reins

On one side you have Colin Trevorrow, on the other you have Josh Trank. It can go both ways.

True. I'm open to it.

On one side you have Colin Trevorrow, on the other you have Josh Trank. It can go both ways.

of course it could badly. buy when was the last time someone under 50 directed a Bond film? Forster?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I’m confused about the script too, since I thought there were two. So Boyle broke up with EON and Craig over action sequences in the script... If Hodge was working off an idea they had pertaining to the P&W script, wouldn’t they know that action set pieces already laid out would make it into the film...? Strange.

I watched American Animals and it was good. Also unsettling. Which is the director’s Bart Layton’s hallmark, documentaries (fused with regular thriller style films) and unsettling material. Kind of an interesting, but more odd choice.

SJ Clarkson... I watched an episode of Collateral and it was alright. She has a ton of tv credits. She must present well to get on lists for Bond and Star Trek. At least I hope that’s the case. Like Layton, I can’t say I see greatness or someone whose going to deliver a “high.”

Demange... white boy rick is getting mediocre reviews. Sophomore slump or flash in the pan. I agree with others that it appears to be his gig going off the short list. ‘71 is great though ( better than American Animals IMO)

But the way news has come, I would actually expect a director to get announced who has never been mentioned.

good point . I wouldn't be surprised if we were blindsided
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    good point . I wouldn't be surprised if we were blindsided

Wonder who that could possibly be. Which directors do we know of who are available?
    If they hire SJ Clarkson, it's game over. Barbara, I'm begging you, please choose someone else!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    If they hire SJ Clarkson, it's game over. Barbara, I'm begging you, please choose someone else!

What is the problem with Clarkson, especially? What of her work did you not like?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,686
    The Rian Johnson/Daniel Craig crime/mystery film Knives Out has found its distributor: MRC (who helped distribute Baby Driver in 2017). They are now casting the other 6/8 roles in the ensemble cast.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-rian-johnson-knives-out-media-rights-capital-toronto-film-festival-1202459431/
    That film actually sounds interesting. If Rian Johnson's "subverting expectations" schtick works well in any genre, it's the whodunnit.

What is the problem with Clarkson, especially? What of her work did you not like?
    She has no feature film directing experience, and she looks exactly like a person who hates Bond and everything he stands for.

Illustration nr. 1
    Illustration nr 2

For contrast: https://girlsdofilm.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/the_hurt_locker-bigelow-8.jpg?w=768
  • Whoever gets the director job, it won t be the first time a second choice is picked.

Terence Young on Dr. No being a prominent example. He wasn't even second choice.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

She has no feature film directing experience, and she looks exactly like a person who hates Bond and everything he stands for.

Illustration nr. 1
    Illustration nr 2

For contrast: https://girlsdofilm.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/the_hurt_locker-bigelow-8.jpg?w=768

And you're starting to sound like someone who very much hates women in the industry. So much for equality.

Illustration nr. 1
    Illustration nr 2

She has directed a feature before. And some of her TV work has been quite stellar. Her BBC series Collateral was extremely slick and well done. I find the notion that she's unsuitable because she wears a certain style of spectacles a bit ridiculous, to be honest. Never judge a book by its cover - let the work speak for itself.

Though, I do grant that I would love to see Bigelow take a crack at it. Eager to see her return to genre filmmaking as opposed to her docu-drama style that she has adopted for her last few efforts. Point Break is a better film than most action directors could ever hope to make.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I really try to stay out of fights with members on this board but I have to say this @PanchitoPistoles you really are bringing alot of toxicity to this thread
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I really try to stay out of fights with members on this board but I have to say this @PanchitoPistoles you really are bringing alot of toxicity to this thread
    Very few things are as "toxic" as the word "toxicity"... Anyway, whether you like it or not there are a lot of things you can tell about people by the way they dress. Would you want someone who regularly dresses like this to direct a Bond film?

Illustration nr. 1
    Illustration nr 2

This is a f*cking joke of a comment, and you know it @PanchitoPistoles. If your comments boils down to how someone looks, then they have no validity whatsoever.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,630
    Very few things are as "toxic" as the word "toxicity"... Anyway, whether you like it or not there are a lot of things you can tell about people by the way they dress. Would you want someone who regularly dresses like this to direct a Bond film?

But saying that someone shouldn’t be directing a film based on the shape of their glasses is a bit much.
    The point isn't the glasses, but that she is a progressive, I guess. I see Panchito's point, but at the same time, there are very few up and coming directors in Hollywood who aren't.

But saying that someone shouldn’t be directing a film based on the shape of their glasses is a bit much.

Lewis Gilbert wore glasses like that. They should never have let him on the set.
    So is Jeremy Clarkson directing Bond?
    Lewis Gilbert wore glasses like that. They should never have let him on the set.
    Coolest guy on the block.
    Smarmy schoolteacher.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,009
    The point isn't the glasses, but that she is a progressive, I guess. I see Panchito's point, but at the same time, there are very few up and coming directors in Hollywood who aren't.

With respect, it's an utterly pointless 'point' to make when the person making it hasn't seen any of the person in question's work - where signs of being "progressive" are far more likely to be noticed. That takes away what very little credibility there is to the claim.
    Smarmy schoolteacher.

Those damn women, wearing glasses that I don't like and being awful people. I hate them! I hate them all!
    Smarmy schoolteacher.

Come on, give it a rest. You're just embarrassing yourself.
  • Christopher McQuarrie wears glasses too. Keep him away from making a Bond movie too right?
  • Lewis Gilbert wore glasses like that. They should never have let him on the set.
    Smarmy schoolteacher.

He wasn't a woman so it's okay.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I wonder if white boy rick has been shown to eon already
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Has Clarkson been overtly political in her tv shows in the past?

That's not something I'd want to see in a Bond film so hopefully not. If she hasn't, then I don't see the problem, despite her glasses.

Also, is she a serious contender for this role? She's being considered, sure, but I can't imagine she's a front runner based on her resume. If they want a female director, then there are other choices with more experience. Whether they'd want the gig is another question. Bigelow has declined in the past, as has been noted here already so I can't see her going for it now.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    OwenDavian wrote: »
    Christopher McQuarrie wears glasses too. Keep him away from making a Bond movie too right?
    The guy oozes COOL.
    OwenDavian wrote: »
    Smarmy schoolteacher.

He wasn't a woman so it's okay.
    Schoolmarm.
    vs.
    Badass warrior.
  • I wouldn't exactly call Lewis Gilbert the "coolest guy on the block."