No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    From those two, S.J. Clarkson.
    More English and worked with Nicola Walker (Wishlist)
    Based on both trailers, I'd say I favor Layton.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Bart Layton and Yann Demange seem to be the real deal.
    I hope you are right. Twose two are MILES below Danny Boyle but at least they aren't S.J. Clarkson. I don't want her and her problem glasses anywhere near BOND 25.

I am all for them hiring a female director as long as she is talented and has directed at least one feature film before.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    From those two, S.J. Clarkson.
    More English and worked with Nicola Walker (Wishlist)

I liked Collateral. Lots of interesting fleshed-out characters.

I don't see any problem with hiring a director currently mainly based in TV, as TV production quality these days often outstrips movies.
    a good point . I Personally prefer tv right now but they are very different mediums.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,501
    peter wrote: »
    Anything can happen in the film industry, of course, but, @ColonelSun and I have been consistent in what the Colonel has reported: what went down with Boyle and EoN (AND Universal):

Great concept; no action.
    Without telling us what it is, do you know what the concept is? If so, do you like it?

I haven't been told anything of the plot details.
  • vzok wrote: »
    I liked Collateral. Lots of interesting fleshed-out characters.

I don't see any problem with hiring a director currently mainly based in TV, as TV production quality these days often outstrips movies.

Collateral was great - lots of strong female characters and plenty of intrigue. Wouldn't a Bond film be a baptism of fire for a director's first feature, though? Unless it was a rather more low-key Bond than usual...
    Anything can happen in the film industry, of course, but, @ColonelSun and I have been consistent in what the Colonel has reported: what went down with Boyle and EoN (AND Universal):

Without telling us what it is, do you know what the concept is? If so, do you like it?

I see. And what about above the line crew members who presumably were already hired (such as Mark Tildesley, and the DOP who is likely Anthony Dod Mantle)? Have you heard anything about them?

I see. And what about above the line crew members who presumably were already hired (such as Mark Tildesley, and the DOP who is likely Anthony Dod Mantle)? Have you heard anything about them?

I have heard the chocolate chip cookies are fantastic..... but Peter keeps stealing them all

I also hear that there is that strange thing called a non disclosure agreement
    @Risico007 I also hear that there is that strange thing called a leak.

You mean free marketing from lies or info from fools who want money instead of the cookies babs is paying us in ..

Poppycock

Not too many of those this time around,after the SP fiasco.
    American Animals is really awesome (and stylish looking too) so I'm in for Bart directing.

SJ clearly has the chops for this, why else would Paramount have hired her for Star Trek. Bond would be a great feature directorial debut for her (especially as Star Trek is hindered by contract issues with Pine and Hemsworth) as well as 'first female Bond director' buzz. That'd certainly almost equal the film community buzz from hiring a name like Boyle and would be great from a promotional POV.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Getafix wrote: »
    Bernard hill could still do the business

@Getafix I think he would make a decent M
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Whenever I hear the name Bart
  • I get the impression that Eon must be close to making a deal with either Demange, Clarkson or Clayton.

However, they are probably holding out for someone big to jump in. Hence, the wait. I think the time has passed to court an A-lister and they should focus on the helmers they have and making something work with that person. After all, that was the mess they got themselves in the first time. They could have had a new exciting name but wanted a ‘star’ director. Obviously, that didn’t pan out.

I think that the deal will be done with Demange shortly.

Whoever gets the gig will have to pretty much go with the flow.

- Eon will be in charge of casting.
    - Eon will probably appoint a more experienced editor/DP/composer to work with the three relatively inexperienced directors.
    - Expect more than one second unit director to be hired to essentially shoot the entire action sequences.
    - Eon will oversee the entire rewriting process.
    - Expect all Eon hires to reappear and Boyle’s staff to exit.

Much in the same way that all Marvel films are basically Kevin Feige films. This will be Eon’s film and the director will be their foot-solider to execute the daily grind. Basically, the way things were in the 90’s.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I just checked out the American Animals trailer. Quite intriguing. I've noticed that they seem to be searching for a director with a certain energy and edginess in their films. Boyle, Wright, Demange, Mackenzie and now Layton have all made films in the past which seem to have a certain vitality and almost manic quality to them (at least imho). It could portend what they have planned in the script.

I noticed that Barry Keoghan is in both American Animals as well as '71. He was also in Dunkirk. This chap is going places.
    I get the impression that Eon must be close to making a deal with either Demange, Clarkson or Clayton.

However, they are probably holding out for someone big to jump in. Hence, the wait. I think the time has passed to court an A-lister and they should focus on the helmers they have and making something work with that person. After all, that was the mess they got themselves in the first time. They could have had a new exciting name but wanted a ‘star’ director. Obviously, that didn’t pan out.

I think that the deal will be done with Demange shortly.

Whoever gets the gig will have to pretty much go with the flow.

- Eon will be in charge of casting.
    - Eon will probably appoint a more experienced editor/DP/composer to work with the three relatively inexperienced directors.
    - Expect more than one second unit director to be hired to essentially shoot the entire action sequences.
    - Eon will oversee the entire rewriting process.
    - Expect all Eon hires to reappear and Boyle’s staff to exit.

Much in the same way that all Marvel films are basically Kevin Feige films. This will be Eon’s film and the director will be their foot-solider to execute the daily grind. Basically, the way things were in the 90’s.

It doesn't really add up to Craig's spoken desire to go out on a high. I mean the outcome might be great, but given that's he pushed for bigger name directors, this must really not be where he wanted to be right now.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    This is quite an interesting list, not what I was expecting. I'm happy with Yann, Layton - but secretly I really want SJ Clarkson as we need more female directors (not just for Bond) and it would be fantastic to have a new voice.

I'm a big Barry Keoghan fan (recommend checking him out in Killing of a Sacred Deer also).
    I think if it become Yann’s gig we will all be very unsurprised

That being said I would like whomever they bring on to be announced soon
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks for the info, @peter. It's good to know who can be trusted.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    really not necessary.

plus in Craig Bond universe he seems to have become ex-SAS rather than ex Navy.

they could have at least made him SBS.
    He is also ex-SBS, as stated in his obituary:

"Following active service in the Royal Navy, aboard the United Kingdom's last
    operational aircraft carrier the Ark Royal and the HMS Invincible, Bond
    distinguished himself with the SBS in Iraq and Afghanistan before entering the SIS."
    ah. Was that in SF?

where did I get the SAS thing from?
    Well said. It seems Barbara Broccoli's final Bond film will be nearly 100% "A Barbara Broccoli film", unlike any Bond film before. She knows this is the end of line for her, so she decided to say "F it! I'm going all in!" You have to respect her mojo.
    Well said. It seems Barbara Broccoli's final Bond film will be nearly 100% "A Barbara Broccoli film", unlike any Bond film before. She knows this is the end of line for her, so she decided to say "F it! I'm going all in!" You have to respect her mojo.

Who says it's her final?

#KeepCalmAndBond25On
    ah. Was that in SF?

where did I get the SAS thing from?
    Yep, Bond's obit from SF - not seen in the film, but on the hard copy. He may have been SAS in CR or QOS, considering other small personal details change throughout the Craig era (his DOB). Maybe there's a profile page in one of those films that shows he is SAS.

Vesper mentions it on the train, but doesn't confirm that he is.

"You know...former SAS types with easy smiles and expensive watches.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Yep, Bond's obit from SF - not seen in the film, but on the hard copy. He may have been SAS in CR or QOS, considering other small personal details change throughout the Craig era (his DOB). Maybe there's a profile page in one of those films that shows he is SAS.

Do you have a copy of that Orbituary ?

BTW there are the official biography of the Bond of Craig published by the time of CR : http://www.commander007.net/2015/02/rapports-et-evaluations-du-mi6-sur-lagent-007/
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400

@PanchitoPistoles

I’m not too sure where you’ve got this impression that the Broccoli’s selling means they are “out”. I think you may also be confused as to who could actually “buy” the series. Only a major Hollywood film studio could theoretically pony up the $1+ billion to buy the franchise off Eon.

However, the Broccoli’s are solely in the business of Bond. There is a very good chance that they could sell the series and receive a huge amount of capital in return. But Broccoli wouldn’t relinquish control, the likelihood is that she’d still oversee the franchise but essentially be an employee for the studio who own Bond.

This way Broccoli maintains day-to-day control of Eon, but Eon would be a subsidiary of a major Hollywood studio. Much in the same way that Kathleen Kennedy heads Lucasfilm and Kevin Feige is the figurehead of Marvel.

I’m sorry to tell you that the Broccoli’s aren’t going anyway. It’s their family business and the series has guaranteed their legacy. Why would Broccoli disown the series and all the financial rewards if it means she can feed Broccoli’s for generations to come?

There may not be a Broccoli producing the films in 10-20 years but the family’s vested interest won’t go away. Any suggestion to the contrary is clearly immature and indicative of a lack of commercial awareness.
    @Pierce2Daniel What is indicative of a lack of commercial awareness is that you believe the scenario you just described is more likely than a scenario where BB + MGW do NOT sell the rights but do relinquish creative control.
    Do you have a copy of that Orbituary ?

BTW there are the official biography of the Bond of Craig published by the time of CR : http://www.commander007.net/2015/02/rapports-et-evaluations-du-mi6-sur-lagent-007/
    Thanks for the link, mate. Guess he wasn't SAS afterall.

I have the obit- an example here: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/919/43653548321_7c78acb849_b.jpg