No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, screw period Bond. Period movies are by their very nature a romanticised vision. We already have 60s Bond films, absolutely no need to fabricate them in the 21st century. The market would be minimal at best and anyone thinking Bond would all of a sudden become an arse-slapping, wise cracking, smoker are sorely mistaken. Bond is an icon, more so than a character - so comparisons with Don Draper are wafer thin. Sean Connery is the Bond of the 60s. End of, for me. It can’t be bettered.

This.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’d be okay with period Bond films on the condition that they were well-made, faithful adaptations of the Fleming novels.

That would not do very well in cinema and while perhaps a nice thought a would be commercial suicide and would not be permitted by the other party that holds 50% of the shares.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’d be okay with period Bond films on the condition that they were well-made, faithful adaptations of the Fleming novels.
    SaintMark wrote: »

That would not do very well in cinema and while perhaps a nice thought a would be commercial suicide and would not be permitted by the other party that holds 50% of the shares.

Which is why I think a series like that would be more suitable for Netflix or HBO. I'd get rid of all of the cinematic iconography and treat it as a new adaptation of the novel with the genre being more spy thriller than action/adventure.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TripAces wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    @TripAces, I don't have anything conceptually against a period Bond. In fact to a degree I'd welcome the idea. As you noted, it would enable the film makers to go wild and embrace all of Bond, rather than tiptoe around the edges for fear of upsetting the PC brigade. Also, it would make the process simpler as a result.

However, there are issues with this approach. Firstly, I think it can only work for a one-off film. Why? Well, if they decide to make series of films in this 'period', then where does one go from here? Will Bond always be stuck in the past? That's not what made the character so edgy and interesting all those years ago and since imho. Bond has always been 'cutting edge' to a degree. Daring. Forward thinking, but still entirely masculine. That's what I was hoping Boyle could recapture.

Furthermore, as I noted in an earlier post, where do we find an actor who can embody the spirit of 60's Bond credibly and holistically? They are few and far between. Yes, Jon Hamm nailed it in Mad Men, and arguably delivered the machismo and style of early Connery, albeit with an all American flavour. However, I'd say he is an exception. Attempting this with the wrong actor could result in a catastrophe Imho.

So, given Babs new found propensity for taking chances with the canon (starting with the reboot and Craig and ending with Brofeld), perhaps it's feasible as a one off. However, I wouldn't take it beyond that.

@bondjames I get the concern, whether or not the series could survive if kept in that era. I think it can work. It'll be interesting to see just how many films WB gets out of Fantastic Beasts, set in the 1920s. I think two more are planned.
    I haven't seen that film. Yes, curious to see how it goes. With Bond, expectations are everything, and it's known for being 'current' rather than a 'period piece', so I can't see it playing well. Again, a 'one shot' with the right actor (and I can't think of one) could create all sorts of momentary positive buzz, but then again it might not. The risks are too great, so I'd rather they keep it in the present but not be afraid to make him anti-PC. That's part of his charm imho and again it comes down to how well an actor embodies the character. One must remain likable while doing what are essentially bad things. Not everyone can do that.
    MooreFun wrote: »
    Bond 25 is worth waiting for because once it's released, you will be able to say that the next Bond movie will be directed by Christopher Nolan.

I'm not interested in seeing Skyfall Rises.

pCUzzx3ABU4.jpg
    Oh dear! I can't unsee this image now. I'm afraid that outfit suits him only too well.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I wish you could elaborate on your certainty that Nolan will direct Bond 26, @PanchitoPistoles - instead of just repeating yourself. It may very well be that Nolan gets the gig, but unless you know something that no one else her does, there is no point making these claims.

I hope Nolan doesn't get it, but I know some may disagree with this.

Why I believe it's very likely he will direct BOND 26:

1. Nolan has said many times that he loves the Bond movies and he would love to direct one. In 2010, he said: “I’ve loved the Bond films since I was a kid. For me, they’re always about the expansiveness of cinema. The first Bond films set up infinite possibilities about the world they create. I’d love to do a Bond film.”[1]

In 2017 he reiterated: "It would be a dream project, I've always loved the character and the movies. Anybody who have seen my other films, it's embarrassingly clear how much I love the [Bond] movies." [2]

2. Ok, he wants to direct a Bond film one day. But why Bond 26? In 2017 Nolan told Playboy: " You'd have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you. And they're getting along very well." [3] Nolan has implied many times that he would want to direct the first movie of a new Bond era. Well, it is increasingly likely that Bond 25 will be Craig's last Bond film and Bond 26 will be the start of the next era.

3. Ok so Nolan will probably want to direct Bond 26. But will he get the opportunity to do so? From the same Playboy interview: "I've spoken to the producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson over the years". So they have talked on several occasions, likely discussed a potential collaboration, but why would EON give Nolan the keys to the kingdom? Because:

a) Nolan is a critically acclaimed director.
    b) he is a very experienced big-budget filmmaker
    c) he is a writer-director. 2 in 1!
    d) he is a huge Bond fan

Not hiring Nolan to direct a Bond film at a point when he is ready to direct one would be truly baffling.

4. It gets better! It's entirely possible EON will sell the Bond franchise after Bond 25. Despite some people here repeatedly claiming this rumour is fake news, it's NOT a baseless rumour. Even MI6-HQ has confirmed EON thinking about selling the franchise is more than tabloid nonsense. If Barbara Broccoli won't be involved in Bond 26, it's possible Nolan will not only direct and write, but also produce Bond 26.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Which is why I think a series like that would be more suitable for Netflix or HBO. I'd get rid of all of the cinematic iconography and treat it as a new adaptation of the novel with the genre being more spy thriller than action/adventure.

I agree, a Netflix/HBO/Amazon collection of mini-series (3 or 4 hour long episodes) that were proper adaptations of the books would be pretty interesting. I have no interest in period Bond on the big screen, but with the money that is being sunk into TV shows these days being comparable to that of a mid-budget feature it'd be a neat venture.

Plus, we'd have something to keep ourselves occupied with in between films in the future.

I doubt it'll happen of course.

1. Nolan has said many times that he loves the Bond movies and he would love to direct one. In 2010, he said: “I’ve loved the Bond films since I was a kid. For me, they’re always about the expansiveness of cinema. The first Bond films set up infinite possibilities about the world they create. I’d love to do a Bond film.”[1]

In 2017 he reiterated: "It would be a dream project, I've always loved the character and the movies. Anybody who have seen my other films, it's embarrassingly clear how much I love the [Bond] movies." [2]

2. Ok, he wants to direct a Bond film one day. But why Bond 26? In 2017 Nolan told Playboy: " You'd have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you. And they're getting along very well." [3] Nolan has implied many times that he would want to direct the first movie of a new Bond era. Well, it is increasingly likely that Bond 25 will be Craig's last Bond film and Bond 26 will be the start of the next era.

3. Ok so Nolan will probably want to direct Bond 26. But will he get the opportunity to do so? From the same Playboy interview: "I've spoken to the producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson over the years". So they have talked on several occasions, likely discussed a potential collaboration, but why would EON give Nolan the keys to the kingdom? Because:

d) he is a huge Bond fan

Not hiring Nolan to direct a Bond film at a point when he is ready to direct one would be truly baffling.

4. It gets better! It's entirely possible EON will sell the Bond franchise after Bond 25. Despite some people here repeatedly claiming this rumour is fake news, it's NOT a baseless rumour. Even MI6-HQ has confirmed EON thinking about selling the franchise is more than tabloid nonsense. If Barbara Broccoli won't be involved in Bond 26, it's possible Nolan will not only direct and write, but also produce Bond 26.

If just wanting to direct a Bond film was all that mattered, Steven Spielberg would have done one. This really reads like your own personal fanfiction at this point.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I think you're wrong--see Indy, WW, Captain America, Fantastic Beasts, etc. Period is fine. But we'll never know.
    If just wanting to direct a Bond film was all that mattered, Steven Spielberg would have done one. This really reads like your own personal fanfiction at this point.
    If Nolan's desire to direct a Bond film were the ony thing supporting the theory that he will direct Bond 26, I would not have written that long comment.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If Nolan's desire to direct a Bond film were the ony thing supporting the theory that he will direct Bond 26, I would not have written that long comment.

I think you are getting obsessed and your constant campaign even is making me a huge Nolan fan since Memento not want Nolan anywhere near Bond.

You possibly misread what kind of film maker he is and although he's said he would like to be involved like Spielberg sooner or later he'll move on from the idea.

Personally he should do a Spielberg & Lucas and come up with their own idea, S&L did that and made a film that aces every Bond entry ever made.

Lucas told Spielberg that he had something better than Bond and he wasn't wrong, it was only one film but if any director and writer could replicate the standard of film making of Raiders of the Lost Ark they'd have the best Bond film of all time.

Maybe Nolan should look at that rather than taking on an deeply established film series with baggage.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,280
    I wish you could elaborate on your certainty that Nolan will direct Bond 26, @PanchitoPistoles - instead of just repeating yourself. It may very well be that Nolan gets the gig, but unless you know something that no one else her does, there is no point making these claims.

I hope Nolan doesn't get it, but I know some may disagree with this.

d) he is a huge Bond fan

Nolan wanting to direct a Bond film and him having spoken to the producers doesn't automatically make it a certainty he'll direct Bond 26. Other directors have spoken to EON over the years, too. Some have been given scripts to read, like Morten Tyldum - and Steven Soderbergh have been approached twice (just to mention a couple names).

It's just as likely a different director may end up directing Bond 26 as Nolan. As @MooreFun writes, this reads like your own personal fan fiction at this point.

In short: Nolan may end up getting it, but it's not "written in the stars" that he will.

Will the next Bond girl be Mitu Lawsutski?

Edit: Sorry, Bond person.
    Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure I read an unsubstantiated rumour somewhere that this was part of Boyle/Hodge's golden idea (namely Bond incarcerated on account of some charges brought against him).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just dropping this here ... have fun. ;)

Will the next Bond girl be Mitu Lawsutski?

Edit: Sorry, Bond person.
    Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure I read an unsubstantiated rumour somewhere that this was part of Boyle/Hodge's golden idea (namely Bond incarcerated on account of some charges brought against him).

Sounds like an SNL sketch.
    Definitely. I hope they don't feel the need to touch (ahem..) this subject overtly in the new film.

Let's look at your points again.

d) he is a huge Bond fan

I mean, Michael Bay meets the first three, and he's probably watched the Bond films, so why can't he direct one? Just think of all the money he's made!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,554

I really get irritated with this notion that Bond is a serial sexual predator. Across the 24 films, there are only a few instances in which Bond has pushed himself on innocent women ("Innocent" being the key word here). Almost all Bond girls, whether villains or accomplices, are far from innocent. They are all playing a dangerous game. In the case of Pussy Galore, critics forget that she is the lead pilot and accomplice in a plan to subdue U.S. military personnel and plant a nuclear device at Fort Knox. That Bond forcefully uses sex as a means to dissuade her from doing so is not something any audience member should lose sleep over.

One of the few exceptions to this is Patricia Fearing, who is more or less blackmailed into having sex with JB. It's not one of his better moments. Fearing has no connection to the spy game.

On occasion, Bond has also physically assault women. In each case, again, due to the context, and the dangerous games being played, the physicality is warranted--for the most part. The slap of Tatiana is the only cringe-worthy moment, mostly because Bond overreacted and was too quick to let his emotions get to him. It's also not one of his better moments.

If the critics want a better view of Bond and his attitude toward women, they need look no further than his response to both Masterson sisters. He is genuinely upset by Jill's death, by paint job, because he realizes she didn't deserve it. More so, he is thoroughly bothered by Tilly's death. He risks his own life to check on her. He didn't need to do that.

Bond is also visibly upset by Fields' death. This is a tricky one. Did he take advantage of her, too? No. She had arrived in Bolivia to use sex as a means to persuade him to stand down. He turned the tables on her.

There are other instances, for sure: Bond is more of a protective figure when it comes to women who are NOT in the spy business. When it comes to women engaged in it, though, all bets are off--as they should be.

edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Sexual predator? Please. And I had no problem with the shower scene in Skyfall, either.

Having said that, I do want to add that I appreciate the Me Too movement. A lot. It is way past due, necessary, and any problems that arise from it (going overboard in some areas or whatever) can be dealt with. It is a very, very good thing it has happened and is still ongoing.
    So, Gillian Anderson for Bond anyone? ;)

Nolan as a Bond director, I have long been favorable of that. But this is not his time, I believe.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Just dropping this here ... have fun. ;)

giphy.gif

Wouldn't be against Gillian Anderson starring in a Bond film in a different role, though. Politician, future M (although that has sort of been done in Johnny English already), older Bond girl, even!
    Yes, she and Tilda seem to get mentioned as villains. I prefer Gillian compared to Tilda. But I think I'd rather a not so famous person get the villain role(s). Look how very well Famke did in GE and she was pretty unknown at the time, I think.
    TripAces wrote: »

I really get irritated with this notion that Bond is a serial sexual predator. Across the 24 films, there are only a few instances in which Bond has pushed himself on innocent women ("Innocent" being the key word here). Almost all Bond girls, whether villains or accomplices, are far from innocent. They are all playing a dangerous game. In the case of Pussy Galore, critics forget that she is the lead pilot and accomplice in a plan to subdue U.S. military personnel and plant a nuclear device at Fort Knox. That Bond forcefully uses sex as a means to dissuade her from doing so is not something any audience member should lose sleep over.

One of the few exceptions to this is Patricia Fearing, who is more or less blackmailed into having sex with JB. It's not one of his better moments. Fearing has no connection to the spy game.

On occasion, Bond has also physically assault women. In each case, again, due to the context, and the dangerous games being played, the physicality is warranted--for the most part. The slap of Tatiana is the only cringe-worthy moment, mostly because Bond overreacted and was too quick to let his emotions get to him. It's also not one of his better moments.

If the critics want a better view of Bond and his attitude toward women, they need look no further than his response to both Masterson sisters. He is genuinely upset by Jill's death, by paint job, because he realizes she didn't deserve it. More so, he is thoroughly bothered by Tilly's death. He risks his own life to check on her. He didn't need to do that.

Bond is also visibly upset by Fields' death. This is a tricky one. Did he take advantage of her, too? No. She had arrived in Bolivia to use sex as a means to persuade him to stand down. He turned the tables on her.

There are other instances, for sure: Bond is more of a protective figure when it comes to women who are NOT in the spy business. When it comes to women engaged in it, though, all bets are off--as they should be.

He's also uncomfortable using Paris in the way M's suggests, and the pain is quite obvious when he finds her later - which lasts throughout the Kaufmann scene. One of those scenes I find funny when you consider all the people who claim Brosnan was "too cool".

And then there's Elektra...
    So... no news today...
    Release date brought forward a week for both Terminator and Sonic the Hedgehog. Any reason they might be less afraid of competition?www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/975311-a-quiet-place-sequel-top-gun-2-set-for-2020-release
  • Shardlake wrote: »

I think you are getting obsessed and your constant campaign even is making me a huge Nolan fan since Memento not want Nolan anywhere near Bond.

You possibly misread what kind of film maker he is and although he's said he would like to be involved like Spielberg sooner or later he'll move on from the idea.

Personally he should do a Spielberg & Lucas and come up with their own idea, S&L did that and made a film that aces every Bond entry ever made.

Lucas told Spielberg that he had something better than Bond and he wasn't wrong, it was only one film but if any director and writer could replicate the standard of film making of Raiders of the Lost Ark they'd have the best Bond film of all time.

Maybe Nolan should look at that rather than taking on an deeply established film series with baggage.
    Sorry but while I’m a fan of RAIDERS it most certainly is not better than EVERY Bond film. Not by a long shot. Heck, FYEO was better than RAIDERS in 1981. For me anyway. Maybe I’m biased but I prefer 3/4 of the Bond films over RAIDERS.
    Mega Bond fan here. That being said, Raiders is a masterpiece. A film for the ages. No Bond film is. Unfortunately.
    I’d personally put a handful or so of Bond films above Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I love both.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 646
    RAIDERS is great (especially for its time) but it can’t surpass some classic 90s thrillers like SPEED! That’s a movie that whenever it comes on you can’t help but stop what you’re doing and tune in. Dennis Hopper is such a great villain it it!! And it’s still the most impressive role that Sandra Bullock ever took! And the whole premise - incredibly original and intense! Mark Mancina’s score! Jan DeBont’s direction in his directorial debut! And how about the original DIE HARD trilogy? Easily surpasses any of the Indy films. Like I said RAIDERS is great but there are so many other action films that are more awesome, many Bond films included. The one area where the Indy films really fall short compared to Bond films is the hero. Bond is an infinitely cooler hero (especially Connery and Moore) than Indy. I’m a fan of Harrison Ford but he does tend to be rather monotone and even a bit dull in some of his performances. Honestly Roger Moore runs circles around Ford in the charisma department. I never walk away from RAIDERS saying to myself I want to be like that guy. Come to think of it he’s similar to Craig’s Bond in this regard. Hard to want to be like him.
    Speed and Die Hard are better than Raiders?!? And a handful or so of Bond films? Really?
    Well, film history and probably every known director, de Bont and McTiernan included, probably won't agree with that. But...ok ;)
    Anyways...wrong topic for this, I suppose.

So...no news today...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Univex wrote: »
    So... no news today...

Remember, this happened just over a week ago. I'm guessing the script(s) went to candidates in and around the Deadline report (was that last Thursday?).

Directors read the script(s) over the weekend.

They report back to their representation on Monday/Tuesday with their interest, or lack thereof.

By Wednesday, Thursday, Friday of this week, at the EARLIEST, those interested will submit EoN/Universal their "asks"...

And then... Negotiations begin.

This is not overnight. Any contract I've ever worked on, (and unlike @RC7 and @ColonelSun, I am small fry (although @Birdleson watched one of my films (that I wrote), and he was a brave man for doing so (the director and producers butchered my original script (as was their right), until what was left was flabby and sad and made me cry).

My contracts took about ten to fourteen days of back and forth before I signed. And these are for budgets between 2 million dollars and fifteen million dollars.

Translate that to a Bond negotiation: a film, with a budget of between $150 million to $200 million (if not more; I just think the budget on B25 will be tighter than the last). The director (Boyle) just walked-- which may put EoN in the weaker negotiating position, but;

They are EoN, and this is Bond, so they have the power to push back on the new director's reps... "And if you don't wanna do it-- we WILL find someone who does". And they will. No matter what some grumpy cats on this site say-- this is still Bond and it's a Golden Ticket to the Big Leagues. They will negotiate and kick back any pressure they feel to having to fill the role.

Long story short: those that want a quick resolution may be in for a wait. Of course, with amicable partners, a new director can drop tomorrow. More realistically, we're a few weeks outs.

And, as Deadline reported, to still meet the release dead-line, this will be dealt with within 60 DAYS...