No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

They've sold up shop? And the office is to let.
    i think they are preparing something big, and that we will have some kind of announcement at 6 or 7pm

Any reason you think this?
    The jamesbond.com and 007.com sites are both down and linking to 20th Century Fox.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Risico007 wrote: »
    i think they are preparing something big, and that we will have some kind of announcement at 6 or 7pm

Any reason you think this?

Sites down, and it's not normal a redirect to fox (it's quite simple to make a redirect to a static page saying "we are upgrading your experience, we'll be back shortly), no word from the Social accounts, and mostly because I want to :D
    Its a bit odd that both sites are down at the same time,and why direct it to Fox and not Universal ?!
    EON have done a runner
    Getafix wrote: »
    EON have done a runner

That would be a turn up...wonder if they are taken Craig with them ?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    News reports harping on about Bond going forward needing clear consent from women as he's setting a bad example to boys.....jeez!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    News reports harping on about Bond going forward needing clear consent from women as he's setting a bad example to boys.....jeez!

I hope they are not being serious.
    Well, I always said the shower scene in SF was deeply creepy.
    Well, I always said the shower scene in SF was deeply creepy.

It really was.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I’m still recovering from the excitement that was M:I-FALLOUT (which I just saw, I know I’m late to the party). One of the most incredible things I’ve seen on the big screen I literally have lost all hope that modern-day Bond can compete with this new and improved franchise. I remember when I saw GHOST PROTOCOL and loved it I thought it was just a fluke (I wasn’t exactly enamored with the previous entries) and didn’t think ROGUE NATION would top it when it came out but lo and behold it did. Now FALLOUT managed to top ROGUE NATION. This is literally the only series where every new film at this point is truly “the best one yet” and it’s not merely a marketing gimmick. Like remember when QOS was the best one yet? When DAF was the best one yet? They always do this with every new Bond movie but of course we know that’s not true. With the M:I series it actually is 100% true! Furthermore the M:I series is actually lifting scenes straight out of Bond movies (Benji’s remote controlled BMW via cellphone) while the Bond producers are afraid to use this stuff in their own movies. No they’d rather explore Bond’s psyche. Meanwhile M:I is running circles around them. They have so many exhilarating scenes in their film that they actually leave top-notch action scenes on the cutting room floor (like Ethan in a helicopter vs the truck) that a Bond film would only be so lucky to have as a highlight in its film. That’s how skilled in the action department the M:I crew is. The action in the current Bond films is lethargic by comparison. I wouldn’t even mind it so much if they at least brought back that classy sophisticated Bond vibe of the 60s and 70s (Connery and Moore) but they can’t even do that. So it becomes really hard to get excited for a new Bond film, especially in light of the latest developments. Though Boyle leaving might actually be a blessing in disguise. If there’s one thing I abhor, especially in a Bond film, it’s political correctness. The whole world is infected with this disease right now.
    Excellent post imho, and one I fundamentally agree with. The MI films definitely do a quite superb job with the action.

What's particularly remarkable imho, is the box office consistency of the last three. I've been watching MI:Fallout's gross trajectory over the past few weeks with keen interest. It is no phenomenon, unlike SF. It is tracking slightly ahead of RN and on par with other recent MI films. There is a predictability there. I'm sure studios like that, especially when it's achieved over 7 years and 3 films. That shows audience retention and franchise loyalty. There are no surprises here. These films also have 'legs' (they don't open big but collect the gross over a number of weeks, consistently).

As you rightly noted, GP was no fluke, but rather, the start of a trend. That trend has been established and delivered due to great vision and excellent execution by the producers, film maker and star.

I too miss the Connery/Moore 60s/70s Bond vibe and would love to see it return one day. It's not about 'period Bond' imho. It's about attitude. Style. Flair. Confidence. A slight arrogance. A joie de vivre.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    I too miss the Connery/Moore 60s/70s Bond vibe and would love to see it return one day. It's not about 'period Bond' imho. It's about attitude. Style. Flair. Confidence. A slight arrogance. A joie de vivre.
    +1. Very well said.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Bond can't compete with M:I? Come on... The day Cruise won't be able to perform all this crazy stunts will be the death of M:I. This franchise is all about Cruise's need to push the limits of his stunt work. The main reason why the action in Fallout is so impressing and exiting is because you know Cruise does everything by himself and the resulting level of realism is astonishing. This time I have to praise also McQuarrie because the way the action smoothly flows in the narrative is top notch in Fallout. BTW speaking about film making qualities and cinematic scope Fallout is the first M:I that can compete with a Craig's 007, imo.

Let's hope Fallout's great action achievements will push EoN to raise the bar for B25. But there's only one Tom Cruise...
    +1. Very well said.
    +2. I think we can all agree on that. Shame that the producers don't.

With one or two exceptions, Bond hasn't really done great action since 1989.

Last time I saw something close to it was Napoleon Solo in the U.N.C.L.E movie. But even then it lacked something.
    Univex wrote: »
    +1. Very well said.

Make Bond Great Again.

Can we get the hats printed now?

Personally, I'm so done with nostalgia and looking back at the old days as if they were some kind of monument of greatness that cannot be surmounted.

Bond was cool in the 60's because it appealed to the sexual, social and cultural appetites of people at the time. I just want to see a cool and fun film that puts its best foot forward and creates its own path.

I don't need homages and scenes that hark back to something from a Sean Connery or Roger Moore film. Those early films had no context to steal ideas from, they created on their own volition. I think modern Bond has mostly done a good job of this (especially with CR and SF). The more Bond tries to emulate the feel and tone of the 60's film, the more those films feel like poor tribute acts (I'm talking about SP).

Personally, I think what Craig has done with the character and his performance has been great. I want to see him finish his arc of with a similar story. I want more gloom and furrowed brows. I really want another CR/SF.

Last time I saw something close to it was Napoleon Solo in the U.N.C.L.E movie. But even then it lacked something.
    I agree. They tried to adopt that style in that film, but something was indeed missing. I can't put my finger on it, but I really think this stuff can't be acted. It looks fake (and like a parody) if you act it. You've got to embody it (it must come from within), and few actors can do that credibly. I'm not sure if it's on account of where we are as a society today or of it's just because Connery/Moore just had something these guys lack. Nevertheless, I do miss it a lot. That to me is a fundamental element of screen Bond.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I think the Aussies still have it. Australia is a bit of an unreconstructed throwback to the 50s.

Chris Hemsworth?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This thread is so depressing... Can't imagine what would happen if they're going to announce a third Mendes...

Maybe is because I see Craig's Bond as "my" Bond... but I'm super excited about what's coming next and I couldn't be more happy for what we've got in the last 4 movies...
    I think the Aussies still have it. Australia is a bit of an unreconstructed throwback to the 50s.

Chris Hemsworth?
    You've got a point about Australia. I've got relatives there and there is certainly a slightly different emphasis.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    +1. Very well said.

Make Bond Great Again.

Can we get the hats printed now?

Personally, I'm so done with nostalgia and looking back at the old days as if they were some kind of monument of greatness that cannot be surmounted.

Bond was cool in the 60's because it appealed to the sexual, social and cultural appetites of people at the time. I just want to see a cool and fun film that puts its best foot forward and creates its own path.

I don't need homages and scenes that hark back to something from a Sean Connery or Roger Moore film. Those early films had no context to steal ideas from, they created on their own volition. I think modern Bond has mostly done a good job of this (especially with CR and SF). The more Bond tries to emulate the feel and tone of the 60's film, the more those films feel like poor tribute acts (I'm talking about SP).

Agreed 100%. Well said.
    Surprised the 007 site is still down. Perhaps an overhaul of the whole site?
    I want more gloom and furrowed brows.

More gloom? No thanks.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    More doom and gloom? No thanks.

Seek solace in the arms of another franchise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,554
    A fine article in my view, which touches on many of the issues we have discussed here over the years. Their final conclusion as to what is required for B25 mirrors my own thinking.

https://screenrant.com/james-bond-movies-problems/

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you had just posted this @007Blofeld. Glad we agree.

I agree with the underlying issues discussed in the article. But I don't think the problems have risen to crisis level.

As I have mentioned a lot, if I were Babs I'd go back to the Cold War and leave Bond there. Why?

1. As the article points out, that era is what gave birth to this kind of spy. The villains are far more discernible and easier to create.
    2. Political points become more subtle and more ironic. A film may be set in the early 60s, but it may also be commenting on today. Plot elements dealing with sex, race, religion, and politics can resonate a lot deeper.
    3. It's cool. The clothing, the cars, the retrofuturism.
    4. It won't hurt Bond at the box office. At least, it shouldn't. DC was smart to keep Wonder Woman set in WWI. Why update it? The story is better BECAUSE of the time period.

The article talks about simplifying Bond. This would do it, especially if the aim is release a new film every 2-3 years.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 2,115
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Incidentally, how credible is that source that claimed Bond 25 is still on track despite losing its director?

It's the James Bond International Fan Club.

The headline says Bond 25 is on track. In the actual article, it has passages like this:

//Despite the doom and gloom that has been around in the media about Bond 25 since it was announced that Danny Boyle had stepped aside from the director’s chair, as far as the JBIFC understands it EON hopes to be able to make an announcement about a replacement director very soon. Moreover, according to a number of sources, the film-makers are determined to keep production on the movie on schedule for a planned 2019 release, once a new director is in place.// (emphasis added)

Now, "hopes" to be on track or "determined" to be on track are different than actually being on track. They still need a director. If they hire a director today, tomorrow, etc., should be do-able. If they hire the director on, say, Dec. 31, it would make you wonder.

The headline perhaps should have read, "Bond 25 aims to stay on track."
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ah, beaten to the punch, I was just about to post this. The final sentences really, and simply sums it up.

"We don't need a shared universe tease, we don't need a grand character arc, we don't need canon wink twists. That's right: the easiest way to fix James Bond is just make a James Bond movie."
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ah, beaten to the punch, I was just about to post this. The final sentences really, and simply sums it up.

"We don't need a shared universe tease, we don't need a grand character arc, we don't need canon wink twists. That's right: the easiest way to fix James Bond is just make a James Bond movie."
    A few infamous faces around here would hate that. ;)