No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 1,965
    Jesus are you kidding me? These must of been really bad creative differences if even Craig is hating them. I hope this doesn’t mean another delay but knowing our luck it’s gonna happen. Please please don’t bring Mendes back.

Who were the other directors considered before Boyle?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Gentlemen, we have forgotten one possible saviour.

Samuel Mendes.

I would love another emotionally confused, slapped together, underdeveloped Nolan-copy hiding behind an indie facade with no real substance or discipline, as well.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Think about this for a minute. This is not EONs first go-round. They had to have a backup plan in place. On this scale, you have a backup for everything. Not worried. Move ahead. Just don't lose that Nov 19 release.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I can‘t believe it ... shocking moments!!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    It did always seem weird that Boyle announced himself as director, before we got an official announcement.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 512
    Didn't see that one coming.
    That's some bad news here.
    His "great idea" might have escalated into one crummy idea after another until Barbara and Michael realized it was becoming very non-Bondian.

Perhaps they can get back to Cubby's style of a Terence Young or Peter Hunt style director?
    Yann Demange is laughing somewhere right now.
    This probably means they go back to P&W, which no one is going to be happy about. I can hardly believe it. This far along and everything just comes undone. Embarrassing and awful.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    To be honest, I'd been anticipating this news for a while.

It's not that I had the inside streak or anything. but there were a number of factors that made me thing this was going to happen:

1. Danny Boyle is an individualistic filmmaker that wouldn't bend to studio pressure

If he really was promising such a 'unique' story, then it's likely that he'd want full control. Eon give control to a certain extent and even then you have to play ball. Mendes balled ball and was always on the same wavelength as Barbara. Danny always felt like too much of an individual.

2. No news

The film industry is a very leaky machine. Agents, publicists and managers leak stuff constantly and Bond 25 news has been bone dry for months. The fact that they were operating in quiet is never the case. The fact there was no news meant there was only bad news.

3. Danny Boyle doesn't make big movies

I imagine the film he pitched was smaller. Maybe Eon wanted him to use a second unit director. Maybe they put big demands on the film.

In the end, this clearly was the right result. Danny Boyle has a lot of integrity so I imagine he pulled out for a reason. he didn't think he could or should do it, and he decided against it. More power to him.

However.....this is shocking news and means that bond 25 is in serious trouble. there are a lot of big questions:

- Do you keep the John Hodge script?
    - Do you hire another writer?
    - Who can direct?
    - Will they have enough prep time to make the December start date?

Who the hell directs this thing?!

I think Eon have a choice between Sam Mendes and Martin Campbell personally.

Though a great director who shoots quickly and efficiently is the great Ridley Scott. He also has name value that Eon crave desperately these days.

This might be a diaster. Here's a list of recent films that have had similar problems:

This reminds me a lot of the situations with Ant-Man (2015) and Solo (2018)
    I highly doubt Craig will back out. EON probably already has him signed for Bond25
    TpGdjMG45koePVJ0oOKgvsh73u6rTEiKqpjrXjrohgo.jpg?w=576&s=7bbaa73d280e5a3a62bb10d88519e453

Half empty, half full. Are Omega messing with us right now?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    It did always seem weird that Boyle announced himself as director, before we got an official announcement.
    Indeed.
    Yann Demange is laughing somewhere right now.
    Ha. Probably right.
    Who the hell directs this thing?!

I think Eon have a choice between Sam Mendes and Martin Campbell personally.

Though a great director who shoots quickly and efficiently is the great Ridley Scott. He also has name value that Eon crave desperately these days.

This might be a diaster. Here's a list of recent films that have had similar problems:

This reminds me a lot of the situations with Ant-Man (2015) and Solo (2018)
    I'd be ok with any of those three to be honest. They'd all step up and they all have what it takes.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Two further remarks:

1. EON has two Bond 25 scripts right now. The Hodge script is probably in a pretty good shape, I'm not sure the same can be said about the P&W one (did they even finish writing at least a preliminary version?). Which one will BB & MGW go with? They have to work from one of them if they don't want a major delay.

2. If they won't announce a new director in a matter of weeks (2-3 weeks MAX.), then Bond 25 is delayed.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Gentlemen, we have forgotten one possible saviour.

Samuel Mendes.

200w.gif
    Perhaps Boyle realized "this is not for me. I'm not into big action films!"

I think it's a fair point to say he's left it late in the day to quit. Three months to go. But it could be worse. Solo - A Star Wars Story had its two directors sacked after they'd directed about 3/4 of the film. Better to get rid of Boyle now (if he's unsuitable or whatever the reason) than during the shooting!

giphy.gif
    What the hell?! Really don't know what to reply to this. What sort of mess is this film turning into?

Couple of questions. First relating to the statement:
    "Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."
    Does Craig have a role in addition to playing the main character that automatically places his name on announcements like this? Or is he in any way connected to the "creative differences" mentioned? This was the first thing that came to mind when reading this.

Second:
    Hodge is not mentioned at all here. Does that mean he is still on board?
    The massive numbers on the bezels. The protruding 3D wave designs on the dial. The glass back. Pretty tacky, imo.

Have to agree with this. I prefer more minimalistic watches; less is more, as they say.
    I preferred the older Seamasters too. They were lighter, thinner and more restrained in their styling.

Agree. They look really good.
    BREAKING NEWS

Christopher McQuarrie is the rumoured replacement

BREAKING NEWS

No time like the present for Daniel to make his directing debut.

Wonder if BB and MGW ever discussed B25 with Reed Morano will working on 'The Rhythm Section'.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BREAKING NEWS

Wonder if BB and MGW ever discussed B25 with Reed Morano will working on 'The Rhythm Section'.
    Speaking of Morano, what the heck is happening with that chick flick EON is making? It's been dead quiet on that front too for a while.

I can't see McQuarrie wanting to clean up this mess. They're just floating his name due to the critical and commercial success of Fallout.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    BREAKING NEWS

Speaking of Morano, what the heck is happening with that chick flick EON is making? It's been dead quiet on that front too for a while.

I can't see McQuarrie wanting to clean up this mess. They're just floating his name due to the critical and commercial success of Fallout.

Agreed.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    As someone who wants nothing more than a final Craig-Bond film, I expect I won’t be getting much sleep until this mess is cleaned up. Sad day.
    BREAKING NEWS

He'll do - I'm not a huge fan of MI:Fallout but Rogue Nation I loved (shows he can jump into a franchise really well) and Jack Reacher was pretty good.

His screenplays have been tip top too so if it was true I'd be happy

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,043
    I've gone from very excited to very concerned.

Creative differences could mean anything and not necessarily the script, possibly casting or something, I'm not going to take it for granted that Hodge's script has been jettisoned.

The problem if it has is that P&W script was possibly needing work now unless they have their script developed and ready to go if Hodge's out, we are either going to get a rushed job or a delay.

That's just my take but we don't know the whole story.

I'd be keen to hear @peter & @RC7 take on this and not jump to conclusions like us non industry types are likely to.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,265
    I kind of wish Marc Forster would step in again.
    BREAKING NEWS

It's good news that they are seemingly working hard on finding a replacement. (Or is it? maybe delaying it until winter 2020 would be a better option than to make another lackluster Bond movie.)

But why would McQuarrie agree to direct a leftover Bond film? He just directed a hugely successful movie!
    BREAKING NEWS

I loved mission impossible 6 so I would not hate this idea at all
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    His "great idea" might have escalated into one crummy idea after another until Barbara and Michael realized it was becoming very non-Bondian.

Perhaps they can get back to Cubby's style of a Terence Young or Peter Hunt style director?

That's what I suspect. I must confess I thought a 61 acclaimed director is hardly new blood.
    BREAKING NEWS

They wrapped shooting in June/July. Morano did Insta vids most days during filming.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Creative differences at this point are perplexing to say the least. They must be pretty far along in the pre-production process as they've been casting. Perhaps they had different ideas of who should play the roles which lead to some sort of spat?