No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    I like what I’ve seen of Cliff Curtis, but in no way would I ever consider him as fitting the casting call description of having advanced/physical fighting combat skills. Sure, he’s of Maori descent but his face is far too friendly to illicit menace properly. I’m hoping Eon unearth an undiscovered gem for this role, or at least someone with a low profile in movies. After all, who had seriously heard of Kabir Bedi before Octopussy in Western culture movies? And he made an excellent imposing villain. Bond 25 needs something fresh to distinguish it from the crowd.

Has anyone mentioned Cliff Curtis has worked with Danny Boyle before on Sunshine? It also just so happens this is the film Mark Strong was in as well. Most likely all just a coincidence.

Yep.

I had initially thought of Cliff Curtis and dismissed the idea: too old? Not physically-intimidating enough? But after further thought and research, neither are true.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    TripAces wrote: »
    I like what I’ve seen of Cliff Curtis, but in no way would I ever consider him as fitting the casting call description of having advanced/physical fighting combat skills. Sure, he’s of Maori descent but his face is far too friendly to illicit menace properly. I’m hoping Eon unearth an undiscovered gem for this role, or at least someone with a low profile in movies. After all, who had seriously heard of Kabir Bedi before Octopussy in Western culture movies? And he made an excellent imposing villain. Bond 25 needs something fresh to distinguish it from the crowd.

Has anyone mentioned Cliff Curtis has worked with Danny Boyle before on Sunshine? It also just so happens this is the film Mark Strong was in as well. Most likely all just a coincidence.

Yep.

I had initially thought of Cliff Curtis and dismissed the idea: too old? Not physically-intimidating enough? But after further thought and research, neither are true.

I think he would do well in the role. Not all henchman have to be caricatures.

Yep.

This is very true. Grant didn't feel like a caricature, for example.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Yep.

Grant was the best example of that. I think Hinx was great but I don't feel the steel implanted thumbnails added anything to his presence. Just create good characters they don't have to have a gimmick.

Yep.

Grant was the best example of that. I think Hinx was great but I don't feel the steel implanted thumbnails added anything to his presence. Just create good characters they don't have to have a gimmick.

I felt those thumbnails were unnecessary. He was big and imposing enough already. I also wouldn't have minded if Hinx had a few lines in the film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yep.

I felt those thumbnails were unnecessary. He was big and imposing enough already. I also wouldn't have minded if Hinx had a few lines in the film.

They thumbnails were only unnecessary because he only used them once. They're a neat idea. They should have been given another go-around. I find it really odd that they didn't even attempt to have Hinx use them on Bond during the train fight.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Yep.

They thumbnails were only unnecessary because he only used them once. They're a neat idea. They should have been given another go-around. I find it really odd that they didn't even attempt to have Hinx use them on Bond during the train fight.

Does Hinx not try to use them on Bond? I could have sword there is a shot of Hinx holding Bond by the head, trying to gouge out his eyes.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,588

Yep.

He does, right before Hinx backs up into the mirror.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,055

Yep.

Does Hinx not try to use them on Bond? I could have sword there is a shot of Hinx holding Bond by the head, trying to gouge out his eyes.

I just rewatched it to be sure...

Fair, I had forgotten about that shot.

But while Hinx is certainly holding him by the head, if the intention was to imply that Hinx was making an attempt to gouge Bond's eyes out, it's pretty poorly executed. To me, it looks more like he's just squeezing his skull. They should have made more of it.

Still a good fight all the same.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don’t think he had the thumbnails on during the fight with Bond.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the train fight scene was shot before the SPECTRE meeting scene.

And during that intro of Hinx someone thought what a cool idea it would be to give him these weaponized thumbnails, forgetting that he didn’t have them on in the earlier shot fight sequence.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @peter he does indeed have them on.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Wow. I never noticed them!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Neither did I, and I’ve even wondered why he didn’t use them. Editorially this could have been staged better.
    Also, when it comes to Hinx, I would have liked to have seen him a bit more fleshed out; perhaps after brutally taking his place at the table he could have given a suggestion for SPECTRE operations that would have shown his intellect and that he was more than a brute.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes, @talos7 ... There were ways they could have shown Hinx slipping on his nails. A quick cut, like when Grant pulls out the deadly wire from his watch.

And I accept I'm in a minority here, but I didn't like Hinx. In the Craig era I love the Bomb-Maker, Obanno and his right hand man, Slate, Patrice.... They're grounded, real and more threatening than the mute, cartoon giant that is Hinx.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    jake24 wrote: »
    @peter he does indeed have them on.

I just got home and I pulled the fight scene up on youtube. At the 15 second mark I paused and caught the metal thumb-nails!!

How on earth was an audience ever supposed to see that he had weaponized his thumbs again, in real time??? I honestly had no idea until Jake said he had them, definitely!

This is terrible, because, up until today, I wondered why the nails were never revealed again.

This would be like missing Oddjob breaking Tilly's neck with his hat! One minute she's running, the next minute she's dead.

The nails, like Oddjob's hat, should have been a part of his character and therefore clearly seen (as much as watching Robert Shaw pull on his black gloves-- those were a symbol of the murder he was about to commit)...

I can't believe Hinx had the nails on and they weren't revealed to the audience (which would have created tension for us and Bond since we know this character is coming in for the kill!!!)...

And now at .45s into the scene, I see the left thumb is armoured-- again the question remains: no one can see them at full speed and, any audience would be unaware they were on!!

This is a hugely missed opportunity; this would make the stakes of the battle that much more, to create more tension...

Because I am obsessed with this now, I am attempting to break down this 3:18 scene. At .53s mark, it appears Hinx is no longer wearing the thumb weapons (but has a band-aid on his right ring finger).

At 1.13, when he tosses Craiig by his legs, he's definitely not wearing the nails (right hand/thumb clearly seen).

1.23: ice-pick scene-- as he stabs it into the bar. Looks like it's not the dark metal thumbnail...

1.48: after slamming Bond down on the crates, before opening the train door, Hinx is wearing the nails for sure-- but in real time this, once again, could never be seen.

1.49: yes, opening the door, he wears them.

Kudos to the actors-- when you stop and start like I did, you see Bautista and Craig doing some great, physical work together-- this was a fight I've always liked, but not loved (coz, as said earlier, I like real life threats like Patrice and Obanno and Slate). But looking at them like this, it's a fight to be admired!

@peter You’re right, what a wasted opportunity; they do a good job of setting up the threat posed by the thumb devices, but then drop the ball. Like you, I have always wondered why they were never again used. Like Odd Job’s hat, Jaws’ teeth and Scaramanga‘s Golden gun and bullets, the deadly thumb caps should have become a signature weapon, one you don’t have to frame-advance to see.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    @peter You’re right, what a wasted opportunity; they do a good job of setting up the threat posed by the thumb devices, but then drop the ball. Like you, I have always wondered why they were never again used. Like Odd Job’s hat, Jaws’ teeth and Scaramanga‘s Golden gun and bullets, the deadly thumb caps should have become a signature weapon, one you don’t have to frame-advance to see.

Fully agree with you!
    How exciting to know we are 3-4 months away from big news like title and supporting cast!
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    FoxRox wrote: »
    How exciting to know we are 3-4 months away from big news like title and supporting cast!

Very exciting now if only more rumors leaked like location rumors is probably what we all are looking forward to most
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    The news I am anticipating the most right now is the confirmation of the DOP. They have most definitely hired the cinematographer of Bond 25 months ago, so the confirmation is probably imminent. Hoyte van Hoytema was confirmed as the DOP of Spectre in September 2014.

Will it be Anthony Dod Mantle who has a empty schedule according to imdb and has worked with Boyle on 6 feature films?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People, it is possible to gouge someone s eyes out without extra nails.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767
    @Thunderfinger, that´s exactly the point. The whole introduction of Hinx´ thumb nails is rendered useless by what follows.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,527
    peter wrote: »
    yes, @talos7 ... There were ways they could have shown Hinx slipping on his nails. A quick cut, like when Grant pulls out the deadly wire from his watch.

And I accept I'm in a minority here, but I didn't like Hinx. In the Craig era I love the Bomb-Maker, Obanno and his right hand man, Slate, Patrice.... They're grounded, real and more threatening than the mute, cartoon giant that is Hinx.

I actually love Patrice in Skyfall as a foil to Bond in a way. He played a very small role but I thought it was very interesting. The fight in Shanghai between them when you could only see silhouettes was very symbolic I thought. Very difficult to tell them apart visually, and philosophically.
    People, it is possible to gouge someone s eyes out without extra nails.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, that´s exactly the point. The whole introduction of Hinx´ thumb nails is rendered useless by what follows.

Exactly, there’s no doubt that with only bare hands, Hinx could do a lot of damage; his thumb caps are seemingly meant to give him a distinct, exotic signature that makes him a “Bond villain” They set this up well but don’t adequately follow through.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Was it shown that the nails were removable? I assumed they were a permanent cover over his real nails. Given the ways people alter their appearance with surgery, metal coated nails aren't that far fetched.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    talos7 wrote: »
    They set this up well but don’t adequately follow through.
    That's why I, and perhaps others were hoping for him to return in B25, so we see him get a bit closer to gouging out Bond's eyes. Maybe have them poisoned-coated second time around. Looks like Hinx won't be back though.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,199
    For me, I don't need any reinforcement beyond the first time I see Hinx's nails in use. I took them as a permanent fixture, imagined him getting Jaws-style attention at airport security. He is one dangerous opponent and if he's close enough they're established as a serious threat. I think he can still return, poison-coated is a good idea.

If the filmmakers have a shortcoming here it's the lost opportunity for inspiring male fashion with obvious product placement. Which would require some closeup insert shots, I admit.
    e8480564bab6111fca622f3e69c5a780.jpg
    Let's get back on topic, gents.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,199
    I'd like Hinx to return, I think he's set up for it.

Regarding the Māori tryouts, I can imagine two warriors squaring off for the role. Two men enter, one man leaves kind of thing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hinx is dead. He's not returning.