Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

doubleoego wrote: »
    I think Cavill's spent too much time trying to he a Hollywood star instead of really honing his craft as an actor. He's by no means terrible but He's missed a real opportunity these last 12 years.

What he's missed in honing his craft, he's made up for in money:

Cavill:

'I’m not just doing this for the art. The money’s fantastic and that’s something which I deem - and again, it is frowned upon - very important.'

Adding: 'People will be calling me a **** as they’re reading this, but travel’s great as long as you’re going first class. I mean, traveling to New Zealand in economy, it sucks. Especially if you’re over six feet. But first class? I’m not going to ever pretend to be coy about that. I love it.'

If he gets the Bond gig he can buy his own plane! ;)

bondjames wrote: »
    The great Denzel weighs in. He's obviously fooling around, but like Brosnan seems to favour Hardy.

https://www.capitalfm.com/news/tv-film/denzel-washington-opinion-james-bond-actor/

That was hilarious! "Who's that James Bond guy?"
    Classic!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    David Craig IS James Bond!
    I remember Gene Siskel finally liking a new Bond film when TND was released, but felt Denzel was the only actor he'd choose for the role that could live up to Connery. Wasn't a fan of Brosnan.
    I think Denzel would make a good Mike Hammer, actually.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    fanbond123 wrote: »

What he's missed in honing his craft, he's made up for in money:

This is indeed true.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I think Cavill's spent too much time trying to he a Hollywood star instead of really honing his craft as an actor. He's by no means terrible but He's missed a real opportunity these last 12 years.

Yes I think that's the issue : in 2005-2006 he seemed to have potential that never developed.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    David Craig IS James Bond!

Haha. The Crowd Say Bo Selecta!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I remember Gene Siskel finally liking a new Bond film when TND was released, but felt Denzel was the only actor he'd choose for the role that could live up to Connery. Wasn't a fan of Brosnan.
    I think Denzel would make a good Mike Hammer, actually.
    Denzel would make a good younamehim. He´s even a joy in such a stupid radio show.

Will Ferrell as James Bond and John C. Reilly as Felix Leiter or Bill Tanner
    Yeah. and Mike Myers as M, Q and MP.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I think Cavill has screen charisma though. He just appears to have a limited emotional range within which he can play comfortably. Push too far outside that and he seems strained.

EDIT: I should also add that the first time I saw Cavill in anything was The Tudors way back when. I certainly didn't think he was wooden in that, but it was a while ago. It was actually co-star Jonathan Rhys Meyers who I felt was out of his depth.

Funny you mention JRM. What an awful actor. I cannot believe he got as far as he did in the business. I actually associate JRM and Cavill with Woody Allen. JRM was absolutely abysmal in the dreadful Matchpoint (I enjoy pretty much everything by Woody Allen but his English films are painful). And the first time I saw Cavill on screen was in Whatever Works. I remember wondering whether Cavill’s performance was intended to be deliberately bad - anyone who hasn’t seen it should do, so they are forewarned.

I did enjoy UNCLE but can’t say Cavill’s performance was a standout. Armie Hammer is a better actor IMO. I haven’t seen the new MI but will keep an eye open. Like Brosnan, Cavill seems to be a really decent and likeable guy off screen - genuine and pretty down to earth. But may be that’s the giveaway that he’s lacking something in the star stakes.

What gives Craig’s Bond a bit of edge is that he channels some of his own bloody minded awkwardness into the role. I’m not sure he’s even acting half the time.

The same could be said of Sean and Rog on some level. They bring a lot of themselves to the screen.

Pierce did too but the problem is that he’s Mr Gooey Nicey Nicey. You can’t see Pierce ditching a couple of wives like Rog did.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think Cavill has screen charisma though. He just appears to have a limited emotional range within which he can play comfortably. Push too far outside that and he seems strained.

EDIT: I should also add that the first time I saw Cavill in anything was The Tudors way back when. I certainly didn't think he was wooden in that, but it was a while ago. It was actually co-star Jonathan Rhys Meyers who I felt was out of his depth.

Funny you mention JRM. What an awful actor. I cannot believe he got as far as he did in the business. I actually associate JRM and Cavill with Woody Allen. JRM was absolutely abysmal in the dreadful Matchpoint (I enjoy pretty much everything by Woody Allen but his English films are painful). And the first time I saw Cavill on screen was in Whatever Works. I remember wondering whether Cavill’s performance was intended to be deliberately bad - anyone who hasn’t seen it should do, so they are forewarned.

I did enjoy UNCLE but can’t say Cavill’s performance was a standout. Armie Hammer is a better actor IMO. I haven’t seen the new MI but will keep an eye open. Like Brosnan, Cavill seems to be a really decent and likeable guy off screen - genuine and pretty down to earth. But may be that’s the giveaway that he’s lacking something in the star stakes.

What gives Craig’s Bond a bit of edge is that he channels some of his own bloody minded awkwardness into the role. I’m not sure he’s even acting half the time.

The same could be said of Sean and Rog on some level. They bring a lot of themselves to the screen.

Pierce did too but the problem is that he’s Mr Gooey Nicey Nicey. You can’t see Pierce ditching a couple of wives like Rog did.
    I had no idea Cavill was in a Woody Allen film. I must check that out.

I agree on JRM being a bit showy. There's also something effete about the guy.

RE: UNCLE - like you I thought Cavill was serviceable but not outstanding. Everyone seemed to be 'reading from a page' in that film to me. The performances didn't feel natural.

He's good in Fallout. Cruise tends to get the best out of actors in his film, and I think he achieved that with Cavill as well.

I'm with you on Craig, Moore and Connery bringing a lot of themselves to their interpretation. That's the way it should be done. It was only in SP that I felt he was acting, and that was something I always felt with Brosnan.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Cody Fern

Premiere+Of+Felony+Red+Carpet+KaHGFJUR-Djx.jpg

cody-fern-480256dc-f8f1-4ef9-bc91-6f30ea40b7a-resize-750.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

Good God no way....we would have to buy him a pack of nappies and a dummy.

I couldn't help but remember a certain meme. Now adapted for this thread, of courshe.

wuUq6GB.png
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    SOY! ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

I couldn't help but remember a certain meme. Now adapted for this thread, of courshe.

wuUq6GB.png
    One treats himself with a cigarette as seen, and the other needs a security blanket.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Benedict Cumberbatch Jr.? ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch Jr.? ;)

I can see the similarity.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Will Ferrell as James Bond and John C. Reilly as Felix Leiter or Bill Tanner

My biggest fear if Eon does actually sell. We'd get producers or a studio that aren't as meticulous in their Bond casting as Eon. Either casting an A-lister, or a flavor of the month as Bond regardless of their suitability for the role. Or, like the '67 CR turning Bond into a send up and casting Seth Rogen as 007.
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

wuUq6GB.png

Perfect!
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

wuUq6GB.png

Strong and Sexy vs a Snowflake.
    This just in,one hour ago,from Digital Spy :

Richard Madden backed for Bond by Line of Duty writer .

Idris Elba's name might've recently risen back to the top of the pile, but could his one-time co-star Richard Madden actually become the next James Bond?

Daniel Craig may still have one more 007 film to go, but that hasn't stopped fans from speculating about possible replacements.
    Game of Thrones actor Madden starred opposite Elba in 2016 action film Bastille Day (later renamed The Take) and will next be seen opposite Keeley Hawes in BBC One thriller Bodyguard, from the creator of Line of Duty.

BBLZevQ.img?h=399&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=526&y=254

Madden plays a heroic but volatile war veteran tasked with protecting the UK's ambitious and powerful Home Secretary (Hawes).

Speaking at a launch for the series, Bodyguard writer Jed Mercurio acknowledged that scenes of a gun-toting Madden in a suit would inevitably spark Bond rumours... and even backed his leading man for the role.
    "Richard's a fantastic actor," Mercurio said. "I worked with him before on Lady Chatterley's Lover and I had a brilliant time collaborating with him on this, and I'd love it if we could ever work together again in the future."

He added: "If there are certain signature roles out there in the world, certain brand leading roles, then I couldn't think of a better candidate
    Madden, though, was clearly keen not to stoke the fires of speculation. "I'm not saying anything!" he said, with a grin.

Bodyguard begins on Sunday, August 26 at 9 pm on BBC One. Episode two follows on Bank Holiday Monday, August 27, with the series then continuing on Sunday nights.

yeah may be. bit dull?

you can see more and more Elba stands out. not just because he's black but because he has a bit of personality and attitude
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wasn’t this Madden in Bastille Day? I can’t take him seriously. He’s just another Jamie Dornan.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The great Denzel weighs in. He's obviously fooling around, but like Brosnan seems to favour Hardy.

https://www.capitalfm.com/news/tv-film/denzel-washington-opinion-james-bond-actor/

That was hilarious! "Who's that James Bond guy?"
    Classic!

He's a bit old now (in his 60s!) but he took the role of The Equalizer (that was a Brit!, Denzel, you ain't British!) so if circumstances were widely different I can imagine an American black Bond played by Denzel Washington. I dunno if he'd be right for the part (!) but he's a popular black actor so I reckon the international audience would have taken to him. All the loyal Fleming Bond fans would have hated his casting, of course. :P
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I've seen some excellent performances by American actresses playing Brits, but can't think of any men who've convinced in the same way.

In what poll is Denzel in the top 3 any way?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think I'd rather have Aidan Turner to many of these.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think I'd rather have Aidan Turner to many of these.

BENNY! BENNY! Don't say it!. NOOOOO, too late. Come in @Mendes4Lyfe , you have been summonsed. :)
    Wasn’t this Madden in Bastille Day? I can’t take him seriously. He’s just another Jamie Dornan.
    Yes he was, and completely overshadowed by Elba. If anything, he confirmed the notion that Elba has a certain essential something that few candidates have imho.
    Getafix wrote: »
    In what poll is Denzel in the top 3 any way?
    I think there were a few polls which showed some support for Denzel back in 2014, when the first Equalizer came out. It was part of the marketing hype for that film. Kemp was probably just stroking his ego when he mentioned that. Frankly I'm surprised that he didn't ask him about Elba, given the media hype.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    At the most basic level, the secret to playing Bond is confidence. Be it suave confidence or intense Dalton confidence or Craig type 'blunt instrument' confidence.

Watch this clip of Henry Cavill from Man From Uncle. The dialogue near the start

Cavill says "it's a fine bottle of champagne... be a shame to drink it alone."

There is no playful confidence or alpha male flirting. It's flat, like Cavill is not invested in the lines or character he is playing.

If he played Bond like parts of his performance in UNCLE - it would be a disaster. Absolute "oh no, why did they hire him! mistake. Good looking or not, the guy can't hide his flat delivery. George Lazenby was never that flat. He was confident. Whatever people think of Lazenby, he could do confidence and arrogance.

However..

I am open to Cavill becoming more confident in his delivery and his understanding of the character he is playing. If someone, anyone (!) can tell him "listen, Henry, you're not that talented but don't worry, just read a bit of Fleming or watch the earlier films and think about WHO James Bond is, what's he about, how do you reckon he thinks, try and get into his mind - and bring that to your performance - you might have a chance to convince EON."

But if he can't learn a bit more about the basics of acting, sorry, this guy has no chance. I don't know what Martin Campbell saw in Craig other than his good looks. I don't desire Cavill as the next Bond but if he is in with a chance - he almost won the role back in 2005 - then please get some acting lessons or something!!!!
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    At the most basic level, the secret to playing Bond is confidence. Be it suave confidence or intense Dalton confidence or Craig type 'blunt instrument' confidence.

Watch this clip of Henry Cavill from Man From Uncle. The dialogue near the start

Cavill says "it's a fine bottle of champagne... be a shame to drink it alone."

There is no playful confidence or alpha male flirting. It's flat, like Cavill is not invested in the lines or character he is playing.

If he played Bond like parts of his performance in UNCLE - it would be a disaster. Absolute "oh no, why did they hire him! mistake. Good looking or not, the guy can't hide his flat delivery. George Lazenby was never that flat. He was confident. Whatever people think of Lazenby, he could do confidence and arrogance.

However..

I am open to Cavill becoming more confident in his delivery and his understanding of the character he is playing. If someone, anyone (!) can tell him "listen, Henry, you're not that talented but don't worry, just read a bit of Fleming or watch the earlier films and think about WHO James Bond is, what's he about, how do you reckon he thinks, try and get into his mind - and bring that to your performance - you might have a chance to convince EON."

But if he can't learn a bit more about the basics of acting, sorry, this guy has no chance. I don't know what Martin Campbell saw in Craig other than his good looks. I don't desire Cavill as the next Bond but if he is in with a chance - he almost won the role back in 2005 - then please get some acting lessons or something!!!!
    Good points. I agree with you on UNCLE. That's what I meant earlier about 'actors reading from a page' rather than embodying. The delivery is flat. However, I feel that about all the actors here, and personally find Hammer to be the worst.

I think it's important to consider though that Cavill isn't playing Bond here. He's playing Solo, and even Robert Vaughn had a sort of monotone corniness to his delivery as the character, combined with a suaveness. I thought Cavill captured that, although not as well as Vaughn.
    I'm not surprised Richard Madden gets mentioned. I loved him in GofT but isn't he rather short? Also if he wants to come off as mature and manly he needs a beard and preferably a sword. And by sword I mean a claymore.