Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Murdock wrote: »
    Cavill and Bracey? Prequel to GoldenEye anyone? ;)
    3u38HK6l.jpg

the only problem though is, Henry does look like something's fallen out of his backside...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pierce in the original photo had a similar expression. ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    How would anyone feel about a Bond in his late forties or early fifties when they start their turn as Bond.
    We've seen a Bond at the start of his career with Craig. And apart from CR it's been handled terribly. Especially with the way Bond is portrayed from SF on.
    But we've not had a Bond at the end of his career. Apart from Moore playing it a little more avuncular in FYEO and the remainder of his films.
    I wonder if a Bond who's more desk bound, but not incapable of a little action would be an avenue of the character to explore. More of a spy in the shadows. Cloak and dagger.
    Less reliant on big action set pieces.
    Cast an older actor for say three films.
    Sorry @Benny, but you really are not going to play Bond. I know it's hard, but let it go.

Nooooo...the dream cannot die!
    It's time for a balding, overweight Bond. With no acting experience.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm still intrigued by Luke Bracey. He's very rugged looking for a 29 year old. I'm not sure how Brits feel about an Australian playing the role again.

bracey-point-break-16dec15-02.jpg

Point-Break-Cast-Teresa-Palmer-Luke-Bracey-and-Edgar-Ramirez.jpg

Reminiscent of Sean Bean. And he almost kind of looks like a young Roger Moore in the second photo.
    Good looking guy, but rather lacking in screen presence. I've seen him in a few films and he really doesn't stand out in any way. Edgar Ramirez (in that photo above with Teresa Palmer) wipes the floor with him in the screen magnetism stakes.
    Every time someone writes "Nobody Does It Better" on this forum I start to hum the song - every time!
    It's my favourite Bond song, along with LALD. Lyricist Carole Bayer Sager is one of the greats.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I believe Ramirez was the first choice to play Khan in JJ’s Trek. I think he would have been great and better suited for the role than Cumberbatch.
    How would anyone feel about a Bond in his late forties or early fifties when they start their turn as Bond.
    We've seen a Bond at the start of his career with Craig. And apart from CR it's been handled terribly. Especially with the way Bond is portrayed from SF on.
    But we've not had a Bond at the end of his career. Apart from Moore playing it a little more avuncular in FYEO and the remainder of his films.
    I wonder if a Bond who's more desk bound, but not incapable of a little action would be an avenue of the character to explore. More of a spy in the shadows. Cloak and dagger.
    Sorry @Benny, but you really are not going to play Bond. I know it's hard, but let it go.

You called ?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »

You called ?

We'd make great OO's @barryt007 Bazza.
    Licence to thrill.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm still intrigued by Luke Bracey. He's very rugged looking for a 29 year old. I'm not sure how Brits feel about an Australian playing the role again.

bracey-point-break-16dec15-02.jpg

Point-Break-Cast-Teresa-Palmer-Luke-Bracey-and-Edgar-Ramirez.jpg

Reminiscent of Sean Bean. And he almost kind of looks like a young Roger Moore in the second photo.
    Good looking guy, but rather lacking in screen presence. I've seen him in a few films and he really doesn't stand out in any way. Edgar Ramirez (in that photo above with Teresa Palmer) wipes the floor with him in the screen magnetism stakes.
    Every time someone writes "Nobody Does It Better" on this forum I start to hum the song - every time!
    It's my favourite Bond song, along with LALD. Lyricist Carole Bayer Sager is one of the greats.

I often find it a problem: those who look the part are mediocre actors at best and lack presence, or have been untested.
    barryt007 wrote: »

You called ?

We'd make great OO's @barryt007 Bazza.
    Licence to thrill.

00 Octopussy brigade !!

peter wrote: »
    Recently saw Fallout, and I really don t see why people see Bond in him. Tom Cruise would make a better Bond than him.

Exactly. His "charisma" "persona" and acting chops need a helluva lot more work.

But, as @RC7 has said, he's had twelve-thirteen years since his CR audition to hone his craft. But he's as much a block of wood now as he was back then.
    Thinking about actors like Jude Law or Christian Bale, they had a lot of gravitas and charisma right from the start. I would prefer Henry Cavill over a block of wood, but he hasn´t got much more now of what he didn´t have then.

Cavill does have a great look for the role, and I had really hoped he had matured as an actor and would ready to step in once Craig’s run is over; having seen MI: F twice, I have serious doubts that will happen. In addition to the oft mentioned woodeness, far too often he comes off as “acting” . It’s very distracting.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    talos7 wrote: »
    Cavill does have a great look for the role, and I had really hoped he had matured as an actor and would ready to step in once Craig’s run is over; having seen MI: F twice, I have serious doubts that will happen. In addition to the oft mentioned woodeness, far too often he comes off as “acting” . It’s very distracting.

Poor Henry. He's never gonna cut it as a credible actor. His best role was in Red Riding Hood but even then he was outshone by the wolf!

MV5BNjRkODkzNzUtMDdjYi00OWZmLWIxNTgtMzU0ZDg0YjMwYjE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5ODgyNjQ@._V1_.jpg

Luke Bracy does have a link to the Bond universe. He co-starred in The November Man with Pierce Brosnan. I don't remember Bracy having a particularly strong Bond look or vibe but he may have matured a bit since then. Could be someone to add to the list of names.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    At 45, Idris is too old for Bond. Funny how he is still rumoured for the role. And he is clearly trolling with his tweet.

We probably won't even know who will replace Craig till after Bond 25 is released...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 40,469
    It's a guarantee we won't know who the next Bond is until way after B25 is released. Even if they magically knew, they wouldn't drop that information beforehand, as it'll trample over the marketing and hype for Craig's final installment.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's a guarantee we won't know who the next Bond is until way after B25 is released. Even if they magically knew, they wouldn't drop that information beforehand, as it'll trample over the marketing and hype for Craig's final installment.

Exactly. It's been that way for previous Bond's too.
    You can't blame Elba for milking the publicity a bit.

The guy deserved more and better roles than he's been offered. He was great in the Wire circa 16 years ago but the UK has only really given him Luther, which is entertaining but...

• Cody Fern

Premiere+Of+Felony+Red+Carpet+KaHGFJUR-Djx.jpg

cody-fern-480256dc-f8f1-4ef9-bc91-6f30ea40b7a-resize-750.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg
    Snowflake Bond.

They'll be giving Bond a full arm sleave tattoo next.
    If only the people mentioned here are potential Bond I think Daniel Craig will do Bond 26.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I don't really see the criticism with Cavill. Sure he is no Daniel Day Lewis, but I don't think Bond needs to be portrayed by a hardcore thesp. He has a good look, a measure of charm and a strong screen presence. That's a pretty good base for me.

You have to remember too, he hasn't really worked with a great director yet.
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

Good God no way....we would have to buy him a pack of nappies and a dummy.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I don't really see the criticism with Cavill. Sure he is no Daniel Day Lewis, but I don't think Bond needs to be portrayed by a hardcore thesp. He has a good look, a measure of charm and a strong screen presence. That's a pretty good base for me.

I fear that Cavill would just be a good looking clothes horse, lacking the acting chops to bring any real mettle to the character. A worse version of Brosnan.

People forget that Connery was an excellent screen actor. He brought heft and gravitas to Bond not only through his looks, but his acting too - I include his sense of physicality in this, as knowing how to move and use your body is a key skill of a great actor.

Moore was not as good an actor as Connery, but knew his craft well.

I agree good direction is important. Young helped craft Connery's Bond and I think Gilbert did something similar with Moore, whose characterisation only really came together with TSWLM.

I've seen Brosnan deliver good screen performances when directed by top notch directors like Boorman and Polanski, which makes me think his Bond could have been a whole lot better than it ended up being - you have to blame the screenwriters and producers as well here, for never really helping Brosnan deliver on his potential.

But with Cavill I haven't seen even that. I just don't think he's good enough. Unless you want to watch remakes of DAD and TWINE for the next decade after Craig.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767

I admit I quite liked him in UNCLE. He could work if the filmmakers had a clear plan. With the current big name trend Cavill wouldn´t be noticed next to the supporting cast. TSHLM is a wonderful example of putting good actors in the center, have some slightly lesser actors for supporting roles, and hacks for walk-on parts. See for instance the scene where the young lieutenant on the US submarine sees agent XXX take a shower. Sir Rog had more presence than Cavill I would say, but with the right casting hierarchy I´m sure it could work.

Getafix wrote: »

I fear that Cavill would just be a good looking clothes horse, lacking the acting chops to bring any real mettle to the character. A worse version of Brosnan.

People forget that Connery was an excellent screen actor. He brought heft and gravitas to Bond not only through his looks, but his acting too - I include his sense of physicality in this, as knowing how to move and use your body is a key skill of a great actor.

I agree good direction is important. Young helped craft Connery's Bond and I think Gilbert did something similar with Moore, whose characterisation only really came together with TSWLM.

I've seen Brosnan deliver good screen performances when directed by top notch directors like Boorman and Polanski, which makes me think his Bond could have been a whole lot better than it ended up being - you have to blame the screenwriters and producers as well here, for never really helping Brosnan deliver on his potential.

But with Cavill I haven't seen even that. I just don't think he's good enough. Unless you want to watch remakes of DAD and TWINE for the next decade after Craig.
    The only problem I have with Brosnan´s Bond films is that apparently noone stopped the camera and told Pierce to stop acting. If they can do that with Cavill, a lot is possible.
    Connery oozed so much charisma that he got away with lots of overacting. Other actors cannot allow themselves such.
    Getafix wrote: »

Good points by both of you. I'm not as harsh on Cavill as some here, but acknowledge that he's certainly lacking something, I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I've found him to be better in his more recent films (Justice League and MI:Fallout) than in prior ones.

Regarding acting chops, I'm not as hung up on it as others either. Daniel Craig is perhaps the most acclaimed actor to play Bond, and yet I personally rank his performance in SP as bottom of the barrel (along with Brosnan in TWINE, for different reasons). So I don't pay attention to an actor's reputation as highly as others perhaps do. The trick for me is whether one can be credible in the role and with the direction the producers take for a particular film. This is more difficult to do as time progresses perhaps, because of the exceptional performances we have had over the years from all the Bond actors - our expectations get framed and whenever we see a scene that reminds us of the past we inevitably subconsciously expect the actor to ace it like his illustrious predecessors did - why isn't he as suave and nonchalant as Roger, why doesn't he move as silkily and stealthily as Sean, or why isn't he as intense as Tim etc. etc.

As I've mentioned previously, I think versatility is a very important characteristic, along with an ability to subtly convey mood, emotion and danger. I'll admit that I'm not entirely convinced yet if Cavill can be relied upon to do that.
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg
    I don't know anything about him but he seems a bit young. A few more lines in the face could help to give him a more distinguished look.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The only problem I have with Brosnan´s Bond films is that apparently noone stopped the camera and told Pierce to stop acting. If they can do that with Cavill, a lot is possible.
    Connery oozed so much charisma that he got away with lots of overacting. Other actors cannot allow themselves such.
    [/quote]

Yes, having seen MI:F twice, there were too many instances one can tell that Cavill IS acting. It really takes a viewer out of a film.

edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think Cavill has screen charisma though. He just appears to have a limited emotional range within which he can play comfortably. Push too far outside that and he seems strained.

EDIT: I should also add that the first time I saw Cavill in anything was The Tudors way back when. I certainly didn't think he was wooden in that, but it was a while ago. It was actually co-star Jonathan Rhys Meyers who I felt was out of his depth.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah Cavill was pretty good in the Tudors.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yeah Cavill was pretty good in the Tudors.

I thought Cavill would succeed to Craig then judging by his acting in The Tudors. The series was not very good, a poor man's Rome, but he had presence and charisma. It's like he lost it along the way.

And I've said it before but now his face looks like it's made of plastic.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Cavill's spent too much time trying to he a Hollywood star instead of really honing his craft as an actor. He's by no means terrible but He's missed a real opportunity these last 12 years.
    The great Denzel weighs in. He's obviously fooling around, but like Brosnan seems to favour Hardy.

https://www.capitalfm.com/news/tv-film/denzel-washington-opinion-james-bond-actor/