Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 754
    Fleming referred to his mother as M, that’s where he derived it. A lot of her characteristics of being both maternal lovable and stern were put into that character. So again he may not have totally opposed to a woman in the role.

It helps to understand the times Fleming was living in. He was a product and reflection of his era. He alone was not some sexist, racist who was influencing the open susceptible masses. Almost everyone of that period would be considered sexist and racist by whatever today’s standards are.

giphy.gif

You said it, pal!

;)

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    How would anyone feel about a Bond in his late forties or early fifties when they start their turn as Bond.
    We've seen a Bond at the start of his career with Craig. And apart from CR it's been handled terribly. Especially with the way Bond is portrayed from SF on.
    But we've not had a Bond at the end of his career. Apart from Moore playing it a little more avuncular in FYEO and the remainder of his films.
    I wonder if a Bond who's more desk bound, but not incapable of a little action would be an avenue of the character to explore. More of a spy in the shadows. Cloak and dagger.
    Less reliant on big action set pieces.
    Cast an older actor for say three films.
    Benny wrote: »
    How would anyone feel about a Bond in his late forties or early fifties when they start their turn as Bond.
    We've seen a Bond at the start of his career with Craig. And apart from CR it's been handled terribly. Especially with the way Bond is portrayed from SF on.
    But we've not had a Bond at the end of his career. Apart from Moore playing it a little more avuncular in FYEO and the remainder of his films.
    I wonder if a Bond who's more desk bound, but not incapable of a little action would be an avenue of the character to explore. More of a spy in the shadows. Cloak and dagger.

With a more spy-ish element (FRWL style) than big action scenes, then maybe.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

With a more spy-ish element (FRWL style) than big action scenes, then maybe.

I think those wanting Bond to be black though aren't thinking of this kind of thing, they want Elba because they want to see him kicking backside not sitting behind a desk.

Might even be a way if DC did come back to approach Bond 26, I say if.

I think if they do cast a black actor they need to be early to mid 30's to get at least 3 films out of them.
  • Doesn't B26 sound hella boring already! Shake up the studio or the next actor just won't be assed. I commend Daniel Craig for what he has to put up with.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 754
    I would argue we’ve seen a lot more middle age Bond in the films than we have of what Bond is suppose to be, late 30s. I don’t need to see old man Bond. We got it in SF and the end of all the actors runs, so I’d pass on that.

I don’t need another origin story, but I would like Bond back in his 30s... he is suppose to be a sex symbol after all. Although I wouldn’t mind an adaptation of Forever and a Day if they wanted to do another origin story, but I don’t think we’ll get one anytime soon or as long as Barbara’s in charge.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 15,818
    fanbond123 wrote: »

giphy.gif

You said it, pal!

;)

The ABC news media here is so sold on this story. I'd say most viewers watching this probably are expecting Elba to be Bond quite soon.

I really love The Bond Experience website. I think it would be amusing for David Zaritsky to do a video where he asks for the Idris Elba high fade and beard trim.
  • Mr. Elba has dismissed the rumours on his twitter account. He a DJ anyway, you can't take a man away from his sounds.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Forget Elba. Black, white or green he will be too old.

Henry Cahill is the obvious choice, and he wants it. Being a franchise character in something else won't help him, mind you.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Recently saw Fallout, and I really don t see why people see Bond in him. Tom Cruise would make a better Bond than him.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    The recent evidence does indeed seem to suggest that they don't plan more than one film ahead.

Actor wise, I think they sign them up for 3 normally, don't they? With an option for a 4th. Something like that anyway. I wasn't aware Laz was offered a 6 picture stint.

If they’re offering 3 picture deals then by definition they’re planning ahead. No planning would imply single picture deals.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    The recent evidence does indeed seem to suggest that they don't plan more than one film ahead.

Actor wise, I think they sign them up for 3 normally, don't they? With an option for a 4th. Something like that anyway. I wasn't aware Laz was offered a 6 picture stint.

If they’re offering 3 picture deals then by definition they’re planning ahead
    Not really. Not in terms of scripts anyway.

They lock the actor down because it's not really practical to change actors every film, even though I wouldn't mind them trying that, with all the choices out there and different takes that may be possible.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Recently saw Fallout, and I really don t see why people see Bond in him. Tom Cruise would make a better Bond than him.

Exactly. His "charisma" "persona" and acting chops need a helluva lot more work.

But, as @RC7 has said, he's had twelve-thirteen years since his CR audition to hone his craft. But he's as much a block of wood now as he was back then.

A discussion for a different thread maybe, but I'm beginning to think a three-picture deal could be the way to go. Imagine if Craig started his tenure with CR, finishing off with a slightly different SF, tying up all loose ends from the previous two films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    A discussion for a different thread maybe, but I'm beginning to think a three-picture deal could be the way to go. Imagine if Craig started his tenure with CR, finishing off with a slightly different SF, tying up all loose ends from the previous two films.
    He could have finished off with SF as it was. I've always felt that film was as good of an ending as any other. The final scene was a perfect handoff from the reboot era to the standard classic era, male M, office, gunbarrel, deskbound MP and all.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,280
    He could have finished off with SF as it was. I've always felt that film was as good of an ending as any other. The final scene was a perfect handoff from the reboot era to the standard classic era, male M, office, gunbarrel, deskbound MP and all.

That's true. That last scene could have been a perfect way to do that - just as SP opened up to that possibility too, in a way.
    How about Owen Jones as James Bond?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He'd work fully well for a 13 year old James Bond in an adaptation of Charlie Higson's and Steve Cole's Young Bond series.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Sorry @Benny, but you really are not going to play Bond. I know it's hard, but let it go.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

These guys are so good at their job the subject of Elba's age is never mentioned which is the biggest reason why he won't be Bond irregardless of him pulling off the Connery/Moore version that Campea is almost soiling himself over.

• I'm still intrigued by Luke Bracey. He's very rugged looking for a 29 year old. I'm not sure how Brits feel about an Australian playing the role again.

bracey-point-break-16dec15-02.jpg

Point-Break-Cast-Teresa-Palmer-Luke-Bracey-and-Edgar-Ramirez.jpg

Reminiscent of Sean Bean. And he almost kind of looks like a young Roger Moore in the second photo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He's got a great rugged look but he would make Henry Cavill look as charismatic as Sean Connery.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cavill and Bracey? Prequel to GoldenEye anyone? ;)
    3u38HK6l.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Cavill and Bracey? Prequel to GoldenEye anyone? ;)
    3u38HK6l.jpg
    I'm in. :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Nobody Does It Better, @Murdock
    Nice one, @Murdock! :D
    peter wrote: »
    Every time someone writes "Nobody Does It Better" on this forum I start to hum the song - every time!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thanks @peter and @Torgeirtrap. :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Nice one, @Murdock! :D
    peter wrote: »
    Every time someone writes "Nobody Does It Better" on this forum I start to hum the song - every time!

ditto!!