Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm not surprised Richard Madden gets mentioned. I loved him in GofT but isn't he rather short? Also if he wants to come off as mature and manly he needs a beard and preferably a sword. And by sword I mean a claymore.

I'm not sure how accurate a Google search is, but it tells me he's the same height as Craig.
  • RC7RC7
    I can’t believe this discussion has years to run. Every time I see it in the paper, or check this thread a part of my soul slowly dies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    I can’t believe this discussion has years to run. Every time I see it in the paper, or check this thread a part of my soul slowly dies.

Take solace in the fact that it'll end eventually. It's why part of me is a bit excited for a new era - so we can stop hearing about who the next Bond may be, or who the latest poll or betting site says the likely frontrunner is.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm not surprised Richard Madden gets mentioned. I loved him in GofT but isn't he rather short? Also if he wants to come off as mature and manly he needs a beard and preferably a sword. And by sword I mean a claymore.

I'm not sure how accurate a Google search is, but it tells me he's the same height as Craig.

I thought he was shorter. In any case, he still needs a claymore and it's going to be difficult finding a reason to have one in the script.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Cody Fern

Premiere+Of+Felony+Red+Carpet+KaHGFJUR-Djx.jpg

cody-fern-480256dc-f8f1-4ef9-bc91-6f30ea40b7a-resize-750.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

Good God no way....we would have to buy him a pack of nappies and a dummy.

I couldn't help but remember a certain meme. Now adapted for this thread, of courshe.

wuUq6GB.png

Yeah. The one on the right probably doesn't even hit women when they're out of line. How could this have happened?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

I couldn't help but remember a certain meme. Now adapted for this thread, of courshe.

wuUq6GB.png

Yeah. The one on the right probably doesn't even hit women when they're out of line. How could this have happened?

But perhaps he hits his teddybear to vent frustration.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Cody Fern

maxresdefault.jpg

cody_fern.jpg

wuUq6GB.png

But perhaps he hits his teddybear to vent frustration.

Too risky, his teddybear might hit back.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just want to add that I did enjoy that opening clip from the UNCLE montage above. Cavill was smooth there, and Marianna Di Martino aced it too.
    giphy.webp
    Teddybears are dangerous, you know!
    giphy.webp
    I've yet to see this. I have both on blu and must get to it sometime.
  • manovermanover uk
    Don't rule out richard madden.
    He will be about the right age come casting time.
    Has a good body of work. And is up and coming.
    The hype cycle will start with the release of his BBC show bodyguard.
    He is one to watch.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    giphy.webp

Yes, they are.

latest?cb=20130823195101
    bondjames wrote: »
    giphy.webp

Only have the first one myself. Quite funny if you like Seth MacFarlane type of comedy. Need to buy the second one at some point.
    giphy.webp

Yes, they are.

latest?cb=20130823195101

What movie is that from?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Living Daylights.
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Living Daylights.

Of course! Haven't seen TLD in a very long time.
    I just want to add that I did enjoy that opening clip from the UNCLE montage above. Cavill was smooth there, and Marianna Di Martino aced it too.

I also quite enjoyed UNCLE. Cavill was serviceable in it but not much more. The dialogue in the scene is actually half decent - better than most of what we get in Bond.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    The Living Daylights.

Of course! Haven't seen TLD in a very long time.

A KGB assassin impersonating a child,
    assassination method - Exploding Teddy Bear
    manover wrote: »
    Don't rule out richard madden.
    He will be about the right age come casting time.
    Has a good body of work. And is up and coming.
    The hype cycle will start with the release of his BBC show bodyguard.
    He is one to watch.

I wouldn't rule him out in any case as I loved him as Robb Stark. And there's worse things to do to improve your acting as playing with Sean Bean.
    giphy.webp

Only have the first one myself. Quite funny if you like Seth MacFarlane type of comedy. Need to buy the second one at some point.
    giphy.webp

Yes, they are.

latest?cb=20130823195101

What movie is that from?

Hahaha Torg,you plonker !!
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Getafix wrote: »

I also quite enjoyed UNCLE. Cavill was serviceable in it but not much more. The dialogue in the scene is actually half decent - better than most of what we get in Bond.

Look at Lazenby's Bond when he first meets Tracy at the bull ring. He was charming with a touch of arrogance. Then watch that UNCLE scene and Cavill looks and speaks with zero interest in the woman. IMHO Lazenby was in a different league to Cavill and he'd never even acted before he got Bond. I think comparing Cavill to Lazenby is appropriate because Lazenby wasn't an actor before Bond, and many people consider Lazenby the weakest Bond actor so if you think Lazenby wasn't up there with the other Bonds but still had more confidence/arrogant charm than Cavill in UNCLE - you know Cavill is lacking in something. Okay, Solo is not Bond, and Bond is or was a womaniser type, they are different characters but the camera can't lie all the time! If a guy is stiff he's stiff! You can only go on what you see on the screen. And look at this awful comment by the director Guy Ritchie:
    We were going to go with a Clark Gable vibe and then Guy turned round to me one morning and said, 'Look, it sounds like you can't do an American accent.

Guy Ritchie told Henry Cavill to ditch his Clark Gable-style US accent:

"'I know you can because I've seen in other movies you can. But people who haven't seen those other movies are going to think you're a bad actor.'

"So I was like, 'OK, no Clark Gable then.' "

If I were in Cavill's shoes I'd be heartbroken by that comment. But hey, he got paid for UNCLE - I assume it was good money, far more than an average Joe gets - so the director more or less saying "you can't act" isn't such a big deal. Heck, didn't anyone at the casting stage see Henry's audition for Solo and say "this is awful, this guy is as stiff as a post, perhaps we should find a more talented guy for the part?"

!!!!!

The Ritchie comment is the best reason why Cavill should never play Bond. If any director suggests you are or might come across like a bad actor, you know you're in trouble. Cavill's voice/delivery in UNCLE is bizarre. It's all stilted pauses... limited facial expression. What the heck was he thinking? Robert Vaughn was never that stiff. And to be fair to Cavill, he's had better comments about his acting in MI: Fallout but some people have mentioned he makes it too obvious he's acting - and acting is about not showing you're acting! Perhaps he needs to find the right role and then it will all fit into place but you can only have so many chances before people go "nah, he's had his chance, he's not got it, let's move on to another actor."
    wow. that Ritchie comment must of hurt...

I wonder how much control Ritchie had over the casting.
    giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Yes, they are.

latest?cb=20130823195101

What movie is that from?

I really couldn't remember it until it was mentioned! Maybe it's one of those scenes where I tend to not pay that much attention, haha!
    giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Yes, they are.

latest?cb=20130823195101

What movie is that from?

I really couldn't remember it until it was mentioned! Maybe it's one of those scenes where I tend to not pay that much attention, haha!

Well it is TLD ;)
    giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Yes, they are.

latest?cb=20130823195101

What movie is that from?

Well it is TLD ;)

Surprised you remember anything from that film, @barryt007! :))
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    This guy has a decent look for the part?

Christian Howard:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038226/mediaviewer/rm2114524928

Looks a bit Tom Cruise-ish in this photo:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038226/mediaviewer/rm1879643904

And this one:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038226/mediaviewer/rm1661540096

Age34, British. He's got a posh-ish voice. Not sure his acting is too good:

He seems into martial arts films - Streetfighter type films - so I guess he's not the smooth, sophisticated type, more your bruiser type?

If he can do more than just action, can act like cool British spy, could be worth a screentest.* My guess is Barbara Broccoli would be very reluctant to cast an unknown actor known for action roles. I think she wants an actor with a broader range, already respected in the industry? Craig won applause for his earlier work such as 'Our Friends in the North' so it's hard to imagine an unknown guy making low budget action films impressing Babs. But you never know who might impress her.

*Maybe not!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I get "gay hairdresser" vibes from him.

My impression as well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    This guy has a decent look for the part?

Christian Howard:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038226/mediaviewer/rm2114524928

Looks a bit Tom Cruise-ish in this photo:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038226/mediaviewer/rm1879643904

And this one:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038226/mediaviewer/rm1661540096

Age34, British. He's got a posh-ish voice. Not sure his acting is too good:

He seems into martial arts films - Streetfighter type films - so I guess he's not the smooth, sophisticated type, more your bruiser type?

If he can do more than just action, can act like cool British spy, could be worth a screentest.* My guess is Barbara Broccoli would be very reluctant to cast an unknown actor known for action roles. I think she wants an actor with a broader range, already respected in the industry? Craig won applause for his earlier work such as 'Our Friends in the North' so it's hard to imagine an unknown guy making low budget action films impressing Babs. But you never know who might impress her.

*Maybe not!

Craig didn't show up on Babs' radar until she saw him in Later Cake iirc.

For some reason, the first thing I thought of when reading this was Serge for Beverly Hills Cop. He isn't a hairdresser, but still.

edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm glad a video clip was posted of this Howard fellow. Apart from not looking the part (imho), he also has demonstrated there that he's not much of an actor and appears (at least from that clip) to have little screen presence.

So I'm not in favour of even an audition at this point, despite him checking the normal boxes (white, 34, English). A bit too 'street' for my tastes. ;)