Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

giphy.gif
    If not Cavill, what about this guy!
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm surprised how Cavill seems popular. It wasn't the case say a year ago from what I remember.

That was the hype machine does, it's usually temporary.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512
    I'm surprised how Cavill seems popular. It wasn't the case say a year ago from what I remember.

The M:I hype train. I think we also have quite a few younger members on here - back in the day if you’d posted a perfume ad as evidence of an actor’s suitability you’d have been tied to a wicker chair and your balls whipped.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RC7 wrote: »

The M:I hype train. I think we also have quite a few younger members on here - back in the day if you’d posted a perfume ad as evidence of an actor’s suitability you’d have been tied to a wicker chair and your balls whipped.

Out with the old and in with the new...chair that is. ;)
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 6,601
    Its amazing, how he got from bland and wodden from everybody to an abvious choice right now. He must have done something right. I havent seen him in anything - so he gets a „whatever“ from me. He is not bad in tjf looks department. Just not sure, there is light in the „head department“ . Judging from some interviews and - I have to admit - from some talk about him not beimg very bright.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 12,837

I was thinking that as well. The MI hype is probably the main reason but I also think that the general negativity around the Craig era we have at the minute (bought on by a divisive film followed by a long gap for fans to dwell on it) has made a difference. It's made some fans pine for something different to what we have at the minute and Cavill seems like the perfect guy to deliver a return to old fashioned formula driven Bond.

The problem I think is he isn't perfect at all, for any sort of Bond. Just don't get what people see in him outside of looking the part. Could anyone tell me what's so great about him with words instead of just posting pictures and videos? Because yeah we get it he looks like Bond. But why would he be good, what would he be bringing to the table. Or even pointing me to something he's in where he shows some real presence, charm and charisma would be helpful. Someone said above that his role MI is a nice audition for Bond so to be fair I'll have to check that out, but I feel like UNCLE was his perfect opportunity to do just that and he blew it in my eyes. The guy was like a robot. He'd be a really boring, bland choice I think.

I really do think that this thread has devolved into being more about looks than anything else. I've seen some cool, interesting names immediately shot down by members who I'm pretty sure haven't seen them in anything because they don't look like a generic Bond actor, even though Craig broke the mould there years ago. Meanwhile we're apparently sold on Cavill based on some gifs and photos of him in a tux.

And yeah I'm well aware that I'm being a miserable bastard and ruining the fun but there's been plenty of negativity (direct or backhanded, e.g. using praise of MI as an opportunity to shit on the current era of Bond) from the other side on various threads too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Just back from watching MI6 and can definitely say that H Cavill is in it....... and
    that's about it, Not much impact and anyone could have played the part.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I've said, evaluating possible Bonds is a human Rorschach test.
    Cavill and Brosnan have one thing in common : they generate a lot of projection.
    And they can both grow impressive moustaches ! :D
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    For all onboard the Cavill hype train:

I've been hearing a lot of whining on here about "What could Cavill bring to the table thats new?"
    Well, how about this, he's seriously considering becoming Tom Cruises equal in doing crazy stunts all by himself.
    Imagine the possibilities for Bond.

3:50

and i still thought he's only in it for the money :-?
    And they can both grow impressive moustaches ! :D

That too.

I still think even after his run as Superman Bond will be difficult for him to get, partially because he impressed nobody as the Man of Steel.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I can understand those who think he is somewhat wooden and limited as an actor, I myself am not convinced he would be the right choice for Bond.

However, the fact is that he was the only one beside Craig who was seriously considered for CR and ended up second out of 200 actors. Martin Campbell and the others obviously saw some potential in him, which is why I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Looks-wise, he certainly is handsome, but perhaps too handsome. With that square jaw, he definitely looks more like Superman than Bond.

When the time comes for a new Bond, I won't be surprised if they choose him since there aren't many good candidates out there.
    How Superman, and the DC films as a whole, have been written, produced and directed are what have not been very impressive.
    They could have been great if Zack Snyder didn't turn Superman into a grimdark character.
    RC7 wrote: »
    back in the day if you’d posted a perfume ad as evidence of an actor’s suitability you’d have been tied to a wicker chair and your balls whipped.

"Sometimes the old ways are the best."

I wouldn't just stop at training for stunt work. If the actor playing Bond has to go undercover as a doctor. For artistic credibility he should train for five years or so to get a medical degree, to help the realism :D
    talos7 wrote: »
    How Superman, and the DC films as a whole, have been written, produced and directed are what have not been very impressive.

Hm - you are serious? Are you the new Mendes in love with turner? Just with Cavill? Guys....“rolls eyes“
    And here come the insults. How mature of you.
    Murdock wrote: »
    And here come the insults. How mature of you.

Yes indeed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,500
    Germanlady wrote: »

Hm - you are serious? Are you the new Mendes in love with turner? Just with Cavill? Guys....“rolls eyes“

For someone who is obsessed with Craig, I'm surprised you're not more understanding when others are just as eager to see a particular actor play Bond, no matter how crazy you may find the idea. Please don't let your distaste for a given actor turn into personal insults.

I agree. I felt the Cavill films were designed more for movie goers who are NOT really fans of Superman. An attempt to win over audiences more accustomed to TDK trilogy who probably find the Superman character cheesy and out dated.
    I haven't yet seen JUSTICE LEAGUE, but so far don't think I've had the chance to see Cavill shine in the role.
    However, if he were to replace Craig, I picture him more fitting in to a Brosnan style Bond era. Perhaps a return to the cinematic Bond formula that embraces the larger than life aspects of the series? I personally would like a return to the classic formula after Craig.
    At the rate they've been going, I still think we're looking at quite some time from now before B26 even begins development.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

For someone who is obsessed with Craig, I'm surprised you're not more understanding when others are just as eager to see a particular actor play Bond, no matter how crazy you may find the idea. Please don't let your distaste for a given actor turn into personal insults.

I think, I already gave my approval of him or
    Whoever. Care to read my posts before attackng them. If you need downgrading what has been before to Favour the furure, something is obvuously Wrong. Dont let your personal dislike of me influence your judgement.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You misinterpret my request for an attack - no clue where you got the "personal dislike" thing from, but you needn't overreact every time someone asks you to curb a particular behavior, either. All I asked was to not insult others because they are excited over another actor playing the role.
    Well sure - talos was just giving a well based critisism. Telling us everything was just shit. If Cavill or anybody cant stand on his own / hhen good right.
    I can understand those who think he is somewhat wooden and limited as an actor, I myself am not convinced he would be the right choice for Bond.

However, the fact is that he was the only one beside Craig who was seriously considered for CR and ended up second out of 200 actors. Martin Campbell and the others obviously saw some potential in him, which is why I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Looks-wise, he certainly is handsome, but perhaps too handsome. With that square jaw, he definitely looks more like Superman than Bond.

When the time comes for a new Bond, I won't be surprised if they choose him since there aren't many good candidates out there.

It's also very possible that Cavill was then seen as talented but inexperienced and did not develop his talent as years went. The reasons why he was a contender in 2005 may not exist anymore.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 7,989

Yes, I am serious; actually I don't have a solid top choice at the moment. I'm hoping that there is a return to a more traditional, classic Bond but without some of the heavy handed silliness.
    As far as Cavill, if you're unaware, he's now costarring in a fairly big movie; because of that, at the moment there is naturally a certain focus on him. Hopefully that clears things up for you.
    Watch out for the snarky eye roll, they may get stuck . ;)

bondsum wrote: »
    Below is an image of the stuntman with a prosthetic head for SF.

5091804eecad04c25400001d-1136-669.jpg

When you can't afford the real thing...

EAc4SyW.png
  • RC7RC7

It's also very possible that Cavill was then seen as talented but inexperienced and did not develop his talent as years went. The reasons why he was a contender in 2005 may not exist anymore.

This is exactly the case in my opinion. Spot on.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Below is an image of the stuntman with a prosthetic head for SF.

5091804eecad04c25400001d-1136-669.jpg
    When you can't afford the real thing...

EAc4SyW.png
    I've just been reviewing Bon's tests. It seems you've past... by the skin of you're face.
    Your back on active service. Congratulations, Bon.