Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm liking Hemsworth for the part but with him leading the new men in black films I doubt he'll be cast as Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009
    talos7 wrote: »
    I can’t fathom how anyone could consider Goode; he’s a fine actor but can only be described as , delicate. He’s closer to the latest incarnation of Q than Bond.

Well he was considered enough that he met with Barbara Broccoli. That's something.

Yes, the franchise needs new leadership. ;)

He was brought in but not selected, and if she thought Hugh Jackman was too “fey” then I can’t imagine what she saw in Goode.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I can’t fathom how anyone could consider Goode; he’s a fine actor but can only be described as , delicate. He’s closer to the latest incarnation of Q than Bond.

Well he was considered enough that he met with Barbara Broccoli. That's something.

Pronto. Get Gregg on board at least.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I remember Hiddleston being a huge favourite around here a few years back, yet today he rarely gets a mention. Has his stock fallen in the eyes of Bond fans?
    I'm still a big fan of Hiddleston. The lack of commentary on him lately is probably because he's taken a year off from acting and has been keeping a low profile. He's been spotted around London from time to time sporting a beard. He's bulked up a little and was last seen at Wimbledon during the finals in the Royal box (along with fellow buds Tom Holland and Benedict Cumberbatch). He also recently had a small contribution in a BBC4 short film called Leading Lady Parts, a Times-Up initiative which another buddy of his, Gemma Arterton, produced.

I'm not sure if he's going to do another Night Manager, but I really hope he does. That was a phenomenal series.

I'm ok with most of these replacement candidates. As long as they have a more traditional look than the incumbent and especially the height, they'll be fine for me. Unfortunately that rules out Jack O'Connell, who I recently saw in '71. He's a capable actor and impressed me in that film, but I don't see Bond I'm afraid.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,335

He was brought in but not selected, and if she thought Hugh Jackman was too “fey” then I can’t imagine what she sees in Goode.

I take it those actors who actually have meetings with the Broccoli's are people they have a genuine interest in, which might have been the case for Goode at one point. Not saying he'd ever be the one I'm hoping for, but still interesting that he was considered at least.

You mention "fey", which he might be, but I guess he - as well as other actors considered will bulk up if needed. Guess Aidan Turner bulk up too, don't you think @Mendes4Lyfe?

He was brought in but not selected, and if she thought Hugh Jackman was too “fey” then I can’t imagine what she sees in Goode.

I take it those actors who actually have meetings with the Broccoli's are people they have a genuine interest in, which might have been the case for Goode at one point. Not saying he'd ever be the one I'm hoping for, but still interesting that he was considered at least.

You mention "fey", which he might be, but I guess he - as well as other actors considered will bulk up if needed. Guess Aidan Turner bulk up too, don't you think @Mendes4Lyfe?

Aidan Turner is perfect for Bond in terms of build. He is a supreme physique, so I'm not sure where the suggest comes from that he needs to gain size. He's just not as stocky as Craig, thats all.

Aidan Turner is perfect for Bond in terms of build. He is a supreme physique, so I'm not sure where the suggest comes from that he needs to gain size. He's just not as stocky as Craig, thats all.

He seemed a bit on the slimmer side in And Then There Were None, I feel. Wasn't suggesting big bulking up - just a bit more. Or?

He seemed a bit on the slimmer side in And Then There Were None, I feel. Wasn't suggesting big bulking up - just a bit more. Or?

Ah, well I think he has bulked up since then a bit.

Interesting. Haven't really seen much of him since. Caught 20 mins of an episode of Poldark (not for me, unfortunately), but wouldn't know if this was a recent episode or an older one.

I have a slight issue with Turner (relating to the bulking up comment); why does his neck seem so slim in pictures? It's just something I've noticed. In comparison, I don't notice that with James Norton (not one of my favourites, although I like him as an actor).
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,158

Interesting. Haven't really seen much of him since. Caught 20 mins of an episode of Poldark (not for me, unfortunately), but wouldn't know if this was a recent episode or an older one.

I have a slight issue with Turner (relating to the bulking up comment); why does his neck seem so slim in pictures? It's just something I've noticed. In comparison, I don't notice that with James Norton (not one of my favourites, although I like him as an actor).

Can't say I've ever noticed that to be honest. Here is a recent photo of a play he was in, does it look thin to you here?

aidan-turner-lieutenant-of-inishmore-01.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He has the look of a Bulgarian hotel musician.

Can't say I've ever noticed that to be honest. Here is a recent photo of a play he was in, does it look thin to you here?

Here's a few examples. Minor issue of course, just something I couldn't miss noticing.
    xCannes_party1_featured.jpg
    DdReNPDWsAAufaB.jpg
    MichaelCPhoto2featured.jpg
    Aidan+Turner+HAUclOQXCSYm.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Why does Turner always look so dirty. Like he's slept in a ditch.
    His hair is greasy and...well, it's curly. Bond has straight hair. Obviously this could be worked on.
    But the biggest reason Turner will never be Bond is he's no box office draw. He has no profile in the US, he's never carried a film on his own.
    Granted Craig was quite the unknown when he landed the role, but he had starred in several movies, including the highly praised Layer Cake.
    EON took a minor chance with Craig, however they needed a relative unknown for CR.
    They cannot do that again.

Here's a few examples. Minor issue of course, just something I couldn't miss noticing.
    DdReNPDWsAAufaB.jpg

I can see where your coming from, but can't say it has ever stood out to me before.
    Watching Desolation of Smaug on ITV currently. Anyone doubting Aidan Turner as Bond should watch this as he displays more personality in his small part than most do in starring roles. If Bond doesn't snap him up, some other franchise will.

Turner shows personality in The Hobbit? I must have been busy looking at my watch when it happened.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Watching Desolation of Smaug on ITV currently. Anyone doubting Aidan Turner as Bond should watch this as he displays more personality in his small part than most do in starring roles. If Bond doesn't snap him up, some other franchise will.

Turner shows personality in The Hobbit? I must have been busy looking at my watch when it happened.

Then you must have missed all the Kili scenes, because he was massively impressive on my first viewing.
  • RC7RC7

That killed me.
    giphy.gif
    I'll remember that comment if Turner ever plays a role like that!

DdReNPDWsAAufaB.jpg

I can see where your coming from, but can't say it has ever stood out to me before.
    It's a thing I notice, as I have a thin neck myself. I look silly in shirts from certain clothes brands!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    giphy.gif

Much better Bond candidate right there.
    giphy.gif

Much better Bond candidate right there.

Born in London - only not that one! Too high-profiled actor as well.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Then you must have missed all the Kili scenes, because he was massively impressive on my first viewing.

You're easy to please.

I'll be fair and say that the role was poorly written in a production marred with problems, but he was anything but memorable in the role. I wouldn't put that on my CV if I was him.
    The criticisms of Turner looking too ethnic or dirty are ludicrous. Photos can be found of all of the Bond actors where they don't look their polished best.

n37z05C.jpg
    The criticisms of Turner looking too ethnic or dirty are ludicrous. Photos can be found of all of the Bond actors where they don't look their polished best.

n37z05C.jpg

That is James Bond right there. Coming November 2022.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree with what @Talos7 said above, however, I'm not sure if it's the wingtip collar combined with his boyish looks but Turner in that pic looks like he's attending his 6th form leavers ball.
    :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bond definitely doesn't wear a wing collar tuxedo. Always turndown.

n37z05C.jpg

That's from And Then There Were None, right? Luckily for Turner he looks better (or more Bondian if you like) in other pictures from that series.

n37z05C.jpg

That's from And Then There Were None, right? Luckily for Turner he looks better (or more Bondian if you like) in other pictures from that series.

Without that series nobody would be talking about him as Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I agree with what @Talos7 said above, however, I'm not sure if it's the wingtip collar combined with his boyish looks but Turner in that pic looks like he's attending his 6th form leavers ball.

I’m with you. Can’t get past the boyish looks.
    RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

I’m with you. Can’t get past the boyish looks.

Hopefully come 2022 he will look a bit older in the face. It's still 4 years away. Don't forget that photo is from 2015.