Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2022 Posts: 705
    I don't think Cavill should be underestimated here.
    Everyone lifts their game when it comes to playing Bond,they know they HAVE to be good at it or they don't last.
    peter wrote: »
    @fanbond123 , I agree with you.

I will say this about Dalton-- he may not have been a good interview, but the man had substance. He may've been uncomfortable in the spotlight, but he never came off as anything but an intelligent man.

What worries me about Cavill is he's as empty and vacuous in an interview as he is when he's acting. In M:I I loved his physical attributes-- the man was a monster. But any time he opened his mouth to... speak... his lines... he did so... as if... he was... struggling to... remember... how the... director wanted him... to say it...

And he had to have had some of the shortest lines in the entire film.

The first part of M:I he was raising eyebrows as a way to emote (and he's no Roger). In the second part of the film he might as well have
    twirled his mustache

I'm afraid that's as good as we're going to get with this bloke. And I say this knowing he's actually a really good guy in "real" life (a friend of mine is very good friends with him).

Good point. Although, Tim was a bit shy in interviews, he definitely had a lot to say. I'm enthralled every time I watch an interview with Tim. He seems highly intelligent and sensible, often giving detailed well articulated answers to questions given him.
    By comparison, many actors today in interviews come across like Beavis and Butthead.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Everyone lifts their game when it comes to playing Bond,they know they HAVE to be good at it or they don't last.

That is true.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,335
    I'm afraid that's as good as we're going to get with this bloke. And I say this knowing he's actually a really good guy in "real" life (a friend of mine is very good friends with him).

How is he as a person? Means nothing in this discussion really, but I'll guess the producers (and future directors) would want someone who's easy to work with on a personal level.

Not that I doubt the other candidates are easy to work with!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My friend has worked with him on no less than three projects. They keep in constant contact and from what I’m told, Cavill is not the brightest bulb, but he’s one helluva nice guy.

I still wouldn’t want him as Bond, since the actor must bring his own personality and perspective to the role. I personally don’t see a lot of that kinda thing there.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,335
    My friend has worked with him on no less than three projects. They keep in constant contact and from what I’m told, Cavill is not the brightest bulb, but he’s one helluva nice guy.

I still wouldn’t want him as Bond, since the actor must bring his own personality and perspective to the role. I personally don’t see a lot of that kinda thing there.

Being a helluva nice guy goes a long way, though; time will tell if the Broccoli's would want to look at him again. What does your friend work as, if I may ask - and does he/she work with many other big names in the industry?
    I agree @Torgeirtrap , being a genuine good guy in this industry really does go a long way. And Cavill seems to be that guy, really enjoys life and treats cast and crew with friendliness and respect.

I’ll PM you about my buddy (I don’t want to “out” him).
    Will everyone please shut up about Mission Impossible.

Mod Edit - No need to drop the f-bomb @DewiWynBond please refrain from doing so again.

Honestly, i didn't realise this until I watched Fallout but when you look at the totality of the last three films in each series, the last three Mission Impossible films are all much better than the last three Bond films. Skyfall was a high point for a lot of people, but I found it problematic, Spectre was shit, and the 3rd most recent Bond film was Quantum of Solace! That feels like a million years ago that came out,because 10 years is a long time. The fact is, people are mentioning M:I because they are really great entertaining films and I really really really want to be as excited walking out of a Bond film as I was M:I Fallout. Bond25 has some huge shoes to fill in my book...
    [/quote]

Being a helluva nice guy goes a long way, though; time will tell if the Broccoli's would want to look at him again. What does your friend work as, if I may ask - and does he/she work with many other big names in the industry?

I don't think Eon would rule out an American actor. However, I think the fans would.

If he's the right actor and he can do the accent, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I mean Superman is the quintessential American hero and he's currently played by a Brit and the last two Spider-men have been English.

I could see an American getting the role eventually.

I quite like the idea of Sebastian Stan. I could see him play a more suave Bond (mainly as he has a resemblance to Pierce Brosnan).

maxresdefault.jpg

I also think there are a lot of great African-American actors like Andre Holland, Trevante Rhodes, Yahya Abdul-Mateen and David John Washington who could then become part of the conversation.

The honest truth is that the Bond role isn't a difficult one to cast. There are a ton of actors who could play the role and offer up a new twist (or deliver exactly what is expected of them). Even if someone less inspiring to me such as Henry Cavill or Tom Hiddleston is cast, I'll still turn up.

But I suppose this thread should really be called: Who will Barbara Broccoli cast as the next Bond?

I think what the fans want and expect is world's away from what Barbara is thinking. After all, she desperately wanted this guy to be Bond.

26B0B21D00000578-2996798-Channelling_Malfoy_An_early_shot_of_actor_Daniel_Craig_feels_a_l-a-2_1426512633328.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M:I is being brought up because it is a genuine rival franchise, plus Cavill was a runner up candidate to be Bond with legitimate consideration as an actor who could take over from Craig
    (He’s not who I’d want, but it’s clear he ticks some significant boxes)....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondsum wrote: »
    Reading some of the comments here, it does appear that some would rather choose a soft thespian type over an actor that has the right physical attributes and naturally gifted cajones because a) They have yet to prove themselves as a lead in any other movie, or b) They don’t meet their own personal requirements as an actor.

One name keeps cropping up, James Norton, who I agree has a certain masculine appearance in a 6th Form rugby player kind-of-way, but lacks any external or internal kind of threat. He sounds way too nice and too softly spoken to play Bond. He might send a few ladies all aquiver in his bodice-ripping BBC adaptations but beyond that he hasn’t crossed over into the “man’s man” league of actors. Sure, people can cite McMafia, which did nothing to impress or convince me otherwise, but that’s hardly an endorsement or requirement of their first argument (see category a which is used against Turner but not against Norton). Okay, I’m guilty of category b with regards to Norton, but for a reason: He just comes over to me as a pubescent schoolboy in a man’s body that’s way too soft. I’d rather see the other Norton play Bond... Graham Norton, that is.
    I don't see anything in Norton either. He is physically fit, but that's about it. He didn't impress me in McMafia. He is the real block of wood as far as I'm concerned, not Cavill (despite his acting limitations).
    Then we have actors that are far too short because there’s a belief that said actor will bring something edgy to his performance. This would be suitable casting if Eon were looking for an actor to play Napoleon Bonaparte, but this is Bond we’re discussing here and not about the vertically-challenged French emperor. Personally, I don’t want to see a half-pint-sized 007 and most likely nor does anyone else.
    We've arguably already had this for over a decade. I agree, it's time to get back to tall dark and handsome for the next guy. EON have already done average looking blokes the world over a favour. No need to take it any further.
    One thing is for sure, we’re never going to be unanimous in our choice of who plays the next 007.
    That's for sure. We will never all agree on this. That's why I believe they should shake it up from time to time and go with a directional change upon recasting, as they've done every time in the past.

That way they spread the love and satisfy/satiate the entire fanbase (which, let's face it, spans 50+ years and is very diverse in their opinions of what constitutes an ideal James Bond).

I was a big proponent of Daniel Craig when he was cast, because I felt that the Pierce Brosnan era had run its course and was played out (despite thinking that Brosnan himself did a pretty good job with the woeful material he was offered in DAD).

I am similarly of the opinion that we are long overdue for a change of pace and approach, particularly after the fiasco that was SP (I recently viewed it on broadcast tv and believe the worst thing about it is Daniel Craig, who just didn't fit into the type of film they were making and appeared like a fish out of water to me).

B25 will come and go, and then I think they should try for someone who can reinject a bit of style, suave and accessible charisma into the part. I'm certainly not advocating for a return to Moore (who is one of a kind), but at least a little more natural laid back insouciance and nonchalance would be what I'd advocate for next time out. I also would like faster actor turnarounds. Whatever one may say about Brosnan, he didn't overstay his welcome.
    Absolutely. I'm not necessarily advocating for Cavill (I think there are better choices), but I have no doubt he and everyone else will raise their game if given the opportunity to play James Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I agree, he should not be counted out; all candidates are going to have strengths and weaknesses, including the one who is ultimately chosen .

• RC7RC7
    Cavill won’t be cast as Bond.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Care to explain your reasoning?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    RC7 wrote: »

Interesting and confident prophecy there .

I agree @Torgeirtrap , being a genuine good guy in this industry really does go a long way. And Cavill seems to be that guy, really enjoys life and treats cast and crew with friendliness and respect.

I’ll PM you about my buddy (I don’t want to “out” him).

In the world of actors and actresses that are difficult to work with (or worse), that us a good trait to have.

Alright! No need to "out" anyone; just interesting to hear about your friend :-)
    @Pierce2Daniel Good points. The audience might find it difficult watching an American actor playing a role as British as Bond is. I also agree that it looks like Barbara has the final saying about who'll get the role; and looking at the casting of Craig in the first place, one might find it difficult guessing what actor might or might not cross her mind as a future candidate. I wonder how much into that process EON really are. Ideally you'd think they're at least considering a few names by this point.

Never heard about this Sebastian Stan. Looking at his roles, that doesn't surprise me, as I'm not one to watch superhero movies. Born in Romania I see, so he's European by birth.
    Aaah Sebastian Stan is 'the Winter Soldier' in the Captain America films,thats who he is.

Not right for Bond at all though - definitely not.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,901
    Fallout has made me re-evalute Cavill as a potential Bond. I would go as far as to say that he is my #1 choice.

Someone else mentioned Matthew Goode. From what I remember of him in that film, Stoker, I think he could play an interesting Bond, without having to be built like a Soviet munitions depot.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009

This an extremely easy bet concerning any actor , isn’t it , since only one of countless candidates will be selected.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,512

Interesting and confident prophecy there .

The guy has had over a decade in time and exposure to elevate his craft, which he has single-handedly failed to do.

He doesn’t even come close to the other candidates who’ve been mentioned here. Whether I like them or not, all of those discussed have to varying degrees shown their capabilities.

As I’ve mentioned before and as @peter mentioned the other day - too many times Cavill is caught ‘acting’. I’m sorry, but Craig has raised the bar on this, regardless of the recent petty sniping, and we can wax on forever about how they need to go lighter and how the candidate needn’t be a decent actor, but if all they’re bringing is the ability to be a clothes horse with a personable side, it isn’t going to cut it.

The next guy needs chops - and that doesn’t mean Craig MKII - it means someone with the ability to ‘become’ the character, reinvent the character even, someone with presence and charisma.

This guy simply isn’t that guy. Babs isn’t stupid - and for those reasons he isn’t getting it.
    talos7 wrote: »

This an extremely easy bet concerning any actor , isn’t it , since only one of countless candidates will be selected.

Only with Cavill for me. I don’t see it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What are your thoughts on Matthew Goode @RC7 ?
    I think he could be quite a good successor to Craig.
    For me , no other high profile name elicits a stronger negative reaction than Goode. If Cavill is a block of wood then Goode is a wispy reed, delicately twisting in the breeze. I’d rather the block of wool.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Not to mention, Matthew Goode himself looks like the rotten corpse of a mummy, whose suits hardly fit him, but rather hang upon him.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Has Goode ever headlined a film? One of the knocks against Turner was that he hadn't done this, but what has Goode led?

I don't know much about him (I've seen him in a few tv shows) but I think he could have been decent some years back. He has aged a bit.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Has Goode ever headlined a film? One of the knocks against Turner was that he hadn't done this, but what has Goode led?

I don't know much about him (I've seen him in a few tv shows) but I think he could have been decent some years back. He has aged a bit.

I would count him as headlining in the film 'Stoker',which he was very good in,but apart from that filmwise he is mainly only a co-star.

I would count him as headlining in the film 'Stoker',which he was very good in,but apart from that filmwise he is mainly only a co-star.
    Thanks. I just looked that up. Seems interesting and the sort of thing I like. I'll try to get a hold of a copy. Wasikowska and Kidman in it too, I see.

Thanks. I just looked that up. Seems interesting and the sort of thing I like. I'll try to get a hold of a copy. Wasikowska and Kidman in it too, I see.

Its a very good film but you have to concentrate on it....a bit weird in places haha.