Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,090
    RC7 wrote: »

As I’ve mentioned before day - too many times Cavill is caught ‘acting’. I’m sorry, but Craig has raised the bar on this, regardless of the recent petty sniping, and we can wax on forever about how they need to go lighter and how the candidate needn’t be a decent actor, but if all they’re bringing is the ability to be a clothes horse with a personable side, it isn’t going to cut it.

The next guy needs chops - and that doesn’t mean Craig MKII - it means someone with the ability to ‘become’ the character, reinvent the character even, someone with presence and charisma.

Craig didn't raise the bar, all the actors before him had chops of their own. Lazenby with his vulnerability, Moore with his delivery, Dalton with his intensity, Peirce with his coolness. They all have their own gifts, and indeed weaknesses. Craig is no different from the rest, and the only agenda comes from thinking otherwise. The next guy who takes over will find their own angle on the character, and that will be where the franchise goes on from, whirring on another course. Personally I look forward to that day, one because the franchise has grown stale, but also so we can see the day that the grandstanding around Craig can finally be put into context.
  • RC7RC7

As I’ve mentioned before day - too many times Cavill is caught ‘acting’. I’m sorry, but Craig has raised the bar on this, regardless of the recent petty sniping, and we can wax on forever about how they need to go lighter and how the candidate needn’t be a decent actor, but if all they’re bringing is the ability to be a clothes horse with a personable side, it isn’t going to cut it.

The next guy needs chops - and that doesn’t mean Craig MKII - it means someone with the ability to ‘become’ the character, reinvent the character even, someone with presence and charisma.

Craig didn't raise the bar, all the actors before him had chops of their own. Lazenby with his vulnerability, Moore with his delivery, Dalton with his intensity, Peirce with his coolness. They all have their own gifts, and indeed weaknesses. Craig is no different from the rest, and the only agenda comes from thinking otherwise. The next guy who takes over will find their own angle on the character, and that will be where the franchise goes on from, whirring on another course. Personally I look forward to that day, one because the franchise has grown stale, but also so we can see the day that the grandstanding around Craig can finally be put into context.

Your loathing, or annoyance, or boredom with Craig, whatever it is, is palpable. You’re continually misconstruing people’s comments in the assumption they’re some sort of attack, or defence. This has nothing to do with the other Bond’s or what they brought, or who brought the most, or how valuable what they brought is, or any other BS.

Craig raised the acting bar, period. They’re not going to move for an acting non-entity, just because he ‘looks’ the part. My position is really simple to grasp and it’s not degrading anyone that came before him.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,294
    A repeating discussion, but I'll mention my own views: I have no big issues with Craig - he's a terrific actor. He may have raised the acting bar, but that has come at a cost of the entertainment factor, IMO. The vulnerability is a nice "project" to carry over a couple of films (CR/QoS), but to drag that personal drama over another two films - presumably to Craig's wishes to flash his acting range, is a bit much for me. If this continues in the same fashion with Bond 25, I can't help but look back at his tenure as a bit "Oscar bait-y".

Edit: That's not to say that an actor with a similar range shouldn't get the role (obviously), but I find the current films to fit Craig's wishes to display the "full range" a bit too much. It's more drama than entertainment for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Craig did raise the acting bar, noticeably, in CR. As far as I'm concerned, that's it. He had the material to do it with, and he stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park, but not without substantial support from Mikkelsen, Giannini and most notably, Green.

Since then I've felt him to be a bit walled off for my liking, whereas the material allowed us insight into his Bond's psyche and persona in CR. I'll go so far as to say he only really came alive in CR during his interactions with Mikkelsen, Giannini and Green. There was a spark to him in those scenes.

I don't think they need his level of acting skills going forward. They certainly do need a good actor though. Someone who can play the icon as readily as he can act. Someone with versatility. I've said this before, but I think versatility allows directional changes during an actor's tenure, which benefits the film makers.

That's why Connery and Moore will always be the top dogs for me (although neither may be as critically acclaimed as Craig, even with Connery's Oscar). They both had what it took to play in a variety of sandboxes as the script required, without losing their credibility.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,090

Your loathing, or annoyance, or boredom with Craig, whatever it is, is palpable. You’re continually misconstruing people’s comments in the assumption they’re some sort of attack, or defence. This has nothing to do with the other Bond’s or what they brought, or who brought the most, or how valuable what they brought is, or any other BS.

Craig raised the acting bar, period. They’re not going to move for an acting non-entity, just because he ‘looks’ the part. My position is really simple to grasp and it’s not degrading anyone that came before him.

Yes, it is because you just mentioned in you're own post. "Craig raised the bar" "the next guy needs chops". No, the next guy needs his own in, just like the six guys before him. It has never been the case the guy taking over has done so by following suit.
    I'm open for Henry Cavill to be Jimbo Bond. Might be another Brosnan. But he looks the part and was mad fighter in the last mission impossible film.

But can the man of steel also be Bond? I have my doubts. Still, Cavill would be a perfect fit for "dark and handsome" Bond, he' s at the perfect age and he has the physique to kick arse.
  • RC7RC7

Yes, it is because you just mentioned in you're own post. "Craig raised the bar" "the next guy needs chops". No, the next guy needs his own in, just like the six guys before him. It has never been the case the guy taking over has done so by following suit.

The next guy needs to be able to act. Not ‘act’. That isn’t Cavill. I’m open to whatever else the candidate can bring.
    Maybe we need some Cavill type of person, so we can say goodbye to the kitchen sink drama and make Bond fun again.

Craig has been great, but let's not get another drama actor as the nexy James Bond.

Bond needs to be fun agsin.
  • RC7RC7
    You can have a good actor and a fun film. Certainly preferable to a passable to poor actor and a fun film. I think.
    RC, you ste trying to flock a dead horse.

The next guy needs to be able to act. Not ‘act’. That isn’t Cavill. I’m open to whatever else the candidate can bring.

Again, that depends on what the take will be that they will go with. For instance, I think it is a bit strange that we never see an actual seduction scene in Craig's tenure. He gives the woman a look, maybe a line "I can't find the stationary." And then cut to them in bed after the deed is done. Now think about how many times Brosnan gets into seductive scenes. Xenia, Bond evaluator and Natalya in GoldenEye, the Danish girl and Paris Carver in TND, The doctor and Electra in TWINE, the Masseuse and Jinx and Madeline Swann in DAD. So many examples, and barely any for Craig. You'll probably disagree, but I found the one time That Craig gets a proper seduction scene in SP to be extremely cringey. His delivery was not convincing, he just seems very uncomfortable doing that, sorry that's calling it as I see it. So you could say Craig lacks the chops to make that scene feel as it should, whereas Peirce made it convincing time after time. But, ultimately it doesn't matter, because they can (and have) shot around those scenes with Craig are the audience most of the time doesn't even notice ( Madeline Swann "what do we do now?" Cut already ripping each others clothes off. Solange: "one drink" drives off Cut already on the hotel room floor). So they can draw and pull focus whether they want it. This idea that the series was this malmable thing which could be made to fit any purpose, but then Craig stepped in tandem now he's set the bar which others must follow is just nonsense. How can you not observe how the character is continually being reinvented with each incarnation, and the audience adapts until this simply becomes the norm, and an idea of doing it differently becomes strange and foregien. Besides, the best acted scene in the series comes from the Bond with the least experience acting, and I have yet to see Craig deliver anything at match the tenderness and sobriety of OHMSS's final moments.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,294
    You'll probably disagree, but I found the one time That Craig gets a proper seduction scene in SP to be extremely cringey.
    Ouch, that scene didn't convince me either.
    Besides, the best acted scene in the series comes from the Bond with the least experience acting, and I have yet to see Craig deliver anything at match the tenderness and sobriety of OHMSS's final moments.
    That beats any Craig scene for me. Again, Craig is terrific, but Lazenby really made a moment there.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    Just watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Solid flick and it made me think Cavill may have some potential after all. Might be my third option.

Interesting, I just got back from seeing MI:F and find myself stepping back somewhat from considering Cavill. He’s got a great look for the part and while he can be a good actor, too often I can sense that he IS acting. Bond should also have a bit of mischief in his DNA; I’m not getting that from Cavill.
    If I had to choose between the two super heroes right now, I’d have to go with Hemsworth.

This.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    Craig did raise the acting bar, noticeably, in CR. As far as I'm concerned, that's it. He had the material to do it with, and he stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park, but not without substantial support from Mikkelsen, Giannini and most notably, Green.

Since then I've felt him to be a bit walled off for my liking, whereas the material allowed us insight into his Bond's psyche and persona in CR. I'll go so far as to say he only really came alive in CR during his interactions with Mikkelsen, Giannini and Green. There was a spark to him in those scenes.

I don't think they need his level of acting skills going forward. They certainly do need a good actor though. Someone who can play the icon as readily as he can act. Someone with versatility. I've said this before, but I think versatility allows directional changes during an actor's tenure, which benefits the film makers.

That's why Connery and Moore will always be the top dogs for me (although neither may be as critically acclaimed as Craig, even with Connery's Oscar). They both had what it took to play in a variety of sandboxes as the script required, without losing their credibility.

Agreed. To be perfectly honest, I like Craig but I find him to be incredibly overrated as an actor, especially by folks here on this site. I wouldn't even call him a great actor but more a competent one at best.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Agreed. To be perfectly honest, I like Craig but I find him to be incredibly overrated as an actor, especially by folks here on this site. I wouldn't even call him a great actor but more a competent one at best.

Yeah, some like to talk about that role in Layer Cake like it was a Brando level performance.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    It wouldn't surprise me (depending how B25 performs) if Craig came back for B26 and the anniversary.

He would be on 6 films then,the same as Connery...would he even squeeze B27 in (if filmed soon after B26 ) to equal Sir Roger's 7 ?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I don't agree that the 60th anniversary would be better with Craig and may not be beneficial for a new actor.

I think the opposite. It's the perfect opportunity to introduce a new actor and get bums on seats. A big anniversary push, a new Bond to excite the media the audiences.

Spot on.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,185
    NicNac wrote: »
    I don't agree that the 60th anniversary would be better with Craig and may not be beneficial for a new actor.

I think the opposite. It's the perfect opportunity to introduce a new actor and get bums on seats. A big anniversary push, a new Bond to excite the media the audiences.

Spot on.

I agree.
    Craig already had one anniversary (probably the most successful one) and is already the longest serving Bond.
    Leave some for the other fellas.

Spot on.

+1

Lets hope that's the case,Nackers !!
    Craig when he eyes the possibility for another anniversary film :))
    giphy.gif
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,570
    giphy.gif

Hah, who knows? I do suspect though that Craig, unlike Roger or Timbo, won't be a supportive actor when it comes to Bond anniversaries. I imagine he will be a Connery-esque no-show.

Edit: when he finishes as Bond I mean..
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    giphy.gif

Hah, who knows? I do suspect though that Craig, unlike Roger or Timbo, won't be a supportive actor when it comes to Bond anniversaries. I imagine he will be a Connery-esque no-show.

I get the impression he's not as dedicated about the role as Rog or Tim...even Pierce.
    Seems more like a good career choice and great pay day for Danny boy.
    I've enjoyed Craig in the role, and look forward to his return in Bond 25. But I don't think he'll miss the role.
    I agree Benny. And, as a massive Craig/Bond fan, I'm now looking forward to a change.

Like a lot of people I was stunned and delighted at his incredible transformation into Bond for CR and how he totally reinvented the role.
    And equally disappointed that they chose to make him tired and warn out , complete with regimental haircut in SF (a film I otherwise love). The whole point about his Bond - buffed, sexy, arrogant - was stripped away. Gone. I still liked him in that film, much, much less so in Spectre. I hope he rediscovers some of that early smoulder for Bond25.
    That's the impression I have of Craig too. I also get the impression he's less interested in making straightforward entertaining action films, so they've altered the films direction to incorporate a more drama element.
    CraigBond was just a rude,insulting,cocky,invinsible knobhead.

Yes,Bond is arrogant,always has been,but not rude and disrespectful.
    Benny wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I get the impression he's not as dedicated about the role as Rog or Tim...even Pierce.
    Seems more like a good career choice and great pay day for Danny boy.
    I've enjoyed Craig in the role, and look forward to his return in Bond 25. But I don't think he'll miss the role.

Surely Pierce was one of the most dedicated about the role: he even based his whole pre Bond career on it! He didn't always knew what to do with the role but he sure knew he wanted to have it then keep it!
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    If there is a TV event for the 60th Anniversary (it wont be the same without Sir Rog) then I think you will see Lazenby,Dalton,Brosnan.

Connery wont bother ,Craig I think would be 50/50 ?
    doubleoego wrote: »

Yeah, some like to talk about that role in Layer Cake like it was a Brando level performance.
    Haha. Quite. I'm with both of you.

He was certainly good in Layer Cake, but not spectacular. I felt that Moore was just as good (if not better) in The Man Who Haunted Himself, as was Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol/The Noble House. These were similarly roles which preceded their time as OO7.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Spot on.

+1

Lets hope that's the case,Nackers !!
    +2.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Competent at best isn't the phrase I'd use to describe the guy who played Geordie in Our Friends In The North before becoming the only James Bond to be nominated for a BAFTA for his performance. I think he is a great actor. I wouldn't say he's the best Bond, but he's definitely the best actor to play the role imo.
    Competent at best isn't the phrase I'd use to describe the guy who played Geordie in Our Friends In The North before becoming the only James Bond to be nominated for a BAFTA for his performance. I think he is a great actor. I wouldn't say he's the best Bond, but he's definitely the best actor to play the role imo.
    As I said earlier, he's certainly the most critically acclaimed, despite Connery having the Oscar to his name. I think it's somewhat academic, because Bond isn't really a thespian level role. Competent is probably all that's required imho.