OP
    TLD without question.
    OP also.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TLD and TWINE
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TLD over DAF
    OP over TWINE

TLD and OP are top five films for me, whilst DAF and TWINE are bottom ranking movies. Though DAF does have so much to like about it. It's just hard to believe this is the same Bond who fought Dr.No, Grant and Goldfinger.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TLD
    OP
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TLD
    OP
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

We haven t had TLD on this thread yet,so here it comes.

A hearty welcome to TLD! The 31-year-old Dalton debut film is long overdue.

I vote for

TLD

and

OP,

the two 007 adventures I consider the FRWL and the GF respectively of 1980s Bond cinema.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Give me a double dose of Glen!

TLD and OP for me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TLD and OP

Cold War atmosphere and John Glen’s action direction, does it get any better?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TLD and OP
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I just realized that these are the pen-ultimate films for Connery, Dalton, Moore and Brosnan.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just realized that these are the pen-ultimate films for Connery, Dalton, Moore and Brosnan.

Only if you count NSNA as Connery's ultimate film. And except for TLD, it might have been preferable if the others had been the final ones, rather than dropping further to rock bottom in the following entry.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    TLD & OP
  • GBFGBF
    TLD and OP.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TLD & OP
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,262
    Observation:

So far in this round, everyone who voted for DAF in the first matchup has voted for OP in the second matchup. Meanwhile, everyone who voted for TWINE in the second matchup has voted for TLD in the first matchup. There's also 12 years apart between DAF and OP as well as between TLD and TWINE. While there are of course exceptions to every rule I wonder if DAF fans on the whole generally prefer the Moore era to the Brosnan era while TWINE fans on the whole generally prefer the Dalton era to the 1971-1985 era of Bond?
    TLD

TWINE is that one guilty pleasure film for me that every Bond fan seems to have. I know it is bad, but can;t help but enjoying it anyway. So TWINE > OP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Observation:

So far in this round, everyone who voted for DAF in the first matchup has voted for OP in the second matchup. Meanwhile, everyone who voted for TWINE in the second matchup has voted for TLD in the first matchup. There's also 12 years apart between DAF and OP as well as between TLD and TWINE. While there are of course exceptions to every rule I wonder if DAF fans on the whole generally prefer the Moore era to the Brosnan era while TWINE fans on the whole generally prefer the Dalton era to the 1971-1985 era of Bond?

I like both OP and TWINE. It was a narrow victory in my book.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited June 2018 Posts: 1,884
    TLD for sure.

OP vs TWINE is, as far as I'm concerned, the toughest duel we've had. I love both of these Bond films and I find it unbelievably hard to choose a favourite.

OP might be a feel-good movie overall, but it allows itself to be earnest and gripping at times. Bond racing towards a nuke in order to save countless lives is the character's most heroic/selfless moment in all the films imo. And Moore does a brilliant job - especially when one remembers how many Bond films he had already made and thus his age. His scenes alongside Jourdan or Berkoff are a delight to behold and the chemistry between Adams and himself is great. The action is top-tier Glen and the locations are excellent (B26 in India please).

Similar to OP, I find TWINE to have a certain earnestness to it. There is also a good amount of introspective material regarding Bond in this film (always welcome when done in such a non-flashy way). Brosnan gives a sufficient performance imo. The chemistry between him and the Bond girls isn't all that strong though. But this film does provide great Q encounters and M is given a lot to do without it seeming forced. Finally, the action is more good than bad - I only don't care for certain moments during the helicopter blade set piece or the skiing sequence. So for me every other bit of action is exhilarating and especially paired with Arnold's monstrous score.

At the end of the day, I get an equal kick out of watching TWINE and OP. Although if I had to really pick one that is 'better', I'd probably opt for OP just because of the more solid Bond portrayal and the portion of nostalgia I have for the film. OP wins.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Observation:

Good catch. For me at least, this is true.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Easy choices.

The Living Daylights and Octopussy
    These were easy wins for Octopussy and The Living Daylights.

TLD beats DAF 24-4

OP beats TWINE 25-3

Round 42:

DN vs YOLT

and

DN vs TWINE
    DN over YOLT
    DN over TWINE

Both with ease. DN is just one of the best there is.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DN over YOLT
    DN over TWINE

Both with ease. DN is just one of the best there is.

Yes, double that.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    DN over YOLT
    DN over TWINE
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    YOLT over DN, but very close.

TWINE over DN, not even close.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dr.No
    &
    Dr.No
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dr. No all the way.
  • GBFGBF
    YOLT over DN (very close)
    DN over TWINE (also very close)

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    DN comfortably over YOLT, DN destroys TWINE.

I couldn't have put it any better. DN/DN.