No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    The press conference for SP was December 4, wasn't it?
    Maybe Bond will be retired at the start .

Please no. The retired/dismissed/going rogue routine is getting old.

Just give him a damn mission where he succeeds with flying colours. That would be a first for Craig.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    The press conference for SP was December 4, wasn't it?

It was the 5th if I recall correctly.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    No, it was on the 4th.

Ok.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wouldn't miss him if I never saw him again quite frankly. He's never been done real justice in the films and to some extent has been tainted on account of his most recent appearance, at least imho. Best to let him rest.

Give that man a jaffa cake. Totally agree old chap.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Zekidk wrote: »

Just give him a damn mission where he succeeds with flying colours. That would be a first for Craig.

THIS!!! All of this!
    I will be fascinated to learn what the budget for B25 will be. Probably less than half what SP had, I'd imagine.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Somewhere around $150m-$200m.
    Somewhere between 100 to 150 million is more likely if you ask me.
    That'd be too low for a Bond flick, in my opinion. But, you never know.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    oh god, i've just noticed that John Hodge co-scripted the abomination that was 'The Sweeney' remake.....
    oh god, i've just noticed that John Hodge co-scripted the abomination that was 'The Sweeney' remake.....
    I've never seen the film adaptation, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near worthy enough of the TV series?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I've never seen the film adaptation, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near worthy enough of the TV series?

You're lucky you've never seen it.

How the makers had the affront to even associate it with the TV series is quite beyond me.
    You're lucky you've never seen it.

How the makers had the affront to even associate it with the TV series is quite beyond me.
    Shame, really. Because now that I looked, it has some great cast members, including Ray Winstone, Hayley Atwell, Damien Lewis and Ed Skrein.

This is why projects like these should be well cooked and crafted before rushing into production.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    That'd be too low for a Bond flick, in my opinion. But, you never know.
    The budget on SF was $150 million.

John Hodge is Boyle's writer. He's really there to execute Boyle's vision. I doubt Hodge's voice will overwhelm the film. I'm very excited to hear what they've come up with.

Trance is probably the most illuminating film in Boyle's oeuvre in discovering how he might tackle a Bond film. It was also written by Hodge.

This will be the most "British" film Boyle has directed since the Olympics opening ceremony. That was really a celebration of a nation in a proud and sincere way. It was able to embrace British culture with more insular nods to the NHS and the Windrush generation.

Nationalism has changed greatly over the last few years. I don't think you can make a ceremony like 2012 in this country anymore. I suspect that Boyle (who is outwardly political and has even joked in the past about making a Jeremy Corbyn film) will want to explore a post-Brexit Bond film.

After Brexit/Trump, the whole Edward Snowden angle that SP took seems quant. The Bond villain has become a reality. I can only imagine what Boyle and Hodge are cooking up, but I think Danny's liberal values will shine through int he project. I'm just hoping for a great film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'm an American with zero knowledge of the TV series, and as some random action movie, I found it quite enjoyable. I'm guessing it's much worse compared to its original source material.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I do find it tiresome when politics finds its way into things. Hopefully they can make a film which embraces universal values without overt political leanings. This is an enduring series after all, and should remain that way without pandering to the qualms of the moment.
    Boyle doesn't like having a big budget after he got burned with The Beach. Obviously not a big blockbuster, but still.

Boyle will always have an indie sensibility, so I think his idea will be quite straight forward and cheap to film. This is about closing the book on Craig's Bond, so it's more about the emotional weight and thematic drama than explosions and car chases. I expect a more toned down film than the bloated Mendes entries. Bond 25 will be a lean two hours long.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I could see Boyle doing something akin to DN: tighter budget, focusing on one locale, ecclectic set of characters, a great deal of mystery.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Nationalism has changed greatly over the last few years. I don't think you can make a ceremony like 2012 in this country anymore. I suspect that Boyle (who is outwardly political and has even joked in the past about making a Jeremy Corbyn film) will want to explore a post-Brexit Bond film.

After Brexit/Trump, the whole Edward Snowden angle that SP took seems quant. The Bond villain has become a reality. I can only imagine what Boyle and Hodge are cooking up, but I think Danny's liberal values will shine through int he project. I'm just hoping for a great film.

The Bond villain has become a reaility... based on Trump and Brexit? I hope you are joking.

Bond films are not films to push a political viewpoint, I hope it stays like that.
    There is a global audience to satisfy with this entry which is much larger than the domestic US one. Whatever they end up doing, it will have to appeal to a wide range of demographics globally and to that extent certain elements will likely have to be present. Much as we would like toned down, there is only so far they can go imho, given where Bond is at present on account of the success of the two Mendes entries.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I could see Boyle doing something akin to DN: tighter budget, focusing on one locale, ecclectic set of characters, a great deal of mystery.

Yes I think so.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,585
    John Hodge is Boyle's writer. He's really there to execute Boyle's vision. I doubt Hodge's voice will overwhelm the film. I'm very excited to hear what they've come up with.

Trance is probably the most illuminating film in Boyle's oeuvre in discovering how he might tackle a Bond film. It was also written by Hodge.

This will be the most "British" film Boyle has directed since the Olympics opening ceremony. That was really a celebration of a nation in a proud and sincere way. It was able to embrace British culture with more insular nods to the NHS and the Windrush generation.

Babs and MGW famously have opposing political views, so I doubt Boyle's film will be political. Nor do I think that it will be mostly set in the UK--been there, done that.

Still, there is some offbeat Fleming material left (THR) that would undoubtedly be read as a commentary on current events...
    the bloated Mendes entries.
    Bloated Mendes entrieS? Yes, Spectre was bloated, but how was Skyfall bloated? It's one of the leaner Bond movies!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Zekidk wrote: »

The last thing Bond needs is a story he sleepwalks through. Give us some tension and sense of danger.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 7,331
    There is a global audience to satisfy with this entry which is much larger than the domestic US one. Whatever they end up doing, it will have to appeal to a wide range of demographics globally and to that extent certain elements will likely have to be present. Much as we would like toned down, there is only so far they can go imho, given where Bond is at present on account of the success of the two Mendes entries.

But action scenes and the like can be attained much cheaper with a bit of creativity than they were in either of the last two. Danny Boyle would incorporate action much better than Mendes did, and make it more flowing instead of disjointed. Mendes action scenes while suitably big in scope, never really delivered anything special. He was so nervous about delivering on what we expected, he forgot to give us something we didn't expect also, IMO.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    What do folks think about whether there will be a varied ethnic complexion of characters in this film? I think it's inevitable. As long as it doesn't come across as overt pandering to boost audience share (which I'm afraid it did for me in TLJ), I'm fine with it.
    ---

But action scenes and the like can be attained much cheaper with a bit of creativity than they were in either of the last two. Danny Boyle would incorporate action much better than Mendes did, and make it more flowing instead of disjointed. Mendes action scenes while suitably big in scope, never really delivered anything special. He was so nervous about delivering on what we expected, he forgot to give us something we didn't expect also, IMO.
    I agree. My point was more that it has to be more 'explosive' than a DN. Something in the CR/SF vein at least.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 7,331
    What do folks think about whether there will be a varied ethnic complexion of characters in this film? I think it's inevitable. As long as it doesn't come across as overt pandering to boost audience share (which I'm afraid it did for me in TLJ), I'm fine with it.

Oh yes, Boyle is an overt progressive by his own admission.