"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @Torgeirtrap It’s just the exclusion of Radja that infuriates the whole nation to be honest. And that says a lot coming from a Lazio fan.

@TheWizardOfIce Well if you have world class players like that, it is all the more infuriating when such potential is wasted by a shit manager of course ;)
    The Managerial merry go round continues into the closed season I see! Lol!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The Managerial merry go round continues into the closed season I see! Lol!

The transfer market is going to be bloody frantic after the WC finishes !!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,295

Another manager appointed. At least some clubs aren't holding back their announcements…
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap It’s just the exclusion of Radja that infuriates the whole nation to be honest. And that says a lot coming from a Lazio fan.

Might have picked up on an article about a different player, but is Nainggolan retiring from international football after being left out of the World Cup squad?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Yes, he has decided to retire from international football. I can very much understand him there too.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Yes, he has decided to retire from international football. I can very much understand him there too.

Think we all can. But what a player to leave out! Crazy!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    That wankfest on channel 4 tonight over Salah and our season was absolute fuel for my veins ahead of Saturday. As if i wasn't excited enough.
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote: »
    That wankfest on channel 4 tonight over Salah and our season was absolute fuel for my veins ahead of Saturday. As if i wasn't excited enough.

You can tell the commissioners were all kids when Liverpool last won the league. I know, I work with the wankers ;).
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    RC7 wrote: »
    DCisared wrote: »

You can tell the commissioners were all kids when Liverpool last won the league. I know, I work with the wankers ;).

Ha ha boss.

That's Emery confirmed, then. First new manager at the club for as long I can remember - literally! With the reported budget and the squad he takes over, I can only see it as an impossible task ahead. If he manages to take the club in the right direction, though - and possibly brings some cup trophies, I'd see it as a success. Here's hoping!

Worth noting he's appointed as 'head coach', not manager.
    They are saying he will have little say in transfers.
    vzok wrote: »
    They are saying he will have little say in transfers.

Yep...that's a big worry to me.

I'm getting a sense of Deja-Vu starting in my mind.
    West Ham : £75m war chest
    Arsenal : £50m cigarette packet.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote: »
    How quaint Sullivan and Gold call that a war chest.

£75m gets you one good player these days or two competent ones. That’s the sort of spending that’s going to shoot London FC into the stratosphere is it?

I’m guessing Kronke & Chips neglected to tell Emery that all he would be getting was some loose change to spend until after he had signed? £50m? Is that really enough to stop Burnley overtaking them?
    How quaint Sullivan and Gold call that a war chest.

£75m gets you one good player these days or two competent ones. That’s the sort of spending that’s going to shoot London FC into the stratosphere is it?

I’m guessing Kronke & Chips neglected to tell Emery that all he would be getting was some loose change to spend until after he had signed? £50m? Is that really enough to stop Burnley overtaking them?

And they are already talking about working with the players they have....here we go again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Looking at the positives I think Arsenal were right to not risk appointing Arteta.
    TBF that was a very impressive first press conference.
    He is going to seriously kick arse I think,finally !!
    I think he will get more than the £50m being spouted about,watch this space.
    Looking at the positives I think Arsenal were right to not risk appointing Arteta.

Arteta would have been a big big mistake.
    TBF that was a very impressive first press conference.
    He is going to seriously kick arse I think,finally !!
    I think he will get more than the £50m being spouted about,watch this space.
    Have yet to see the press conference - going to watch it soon.
    I wonder how much truth there is to the £50m transfer budget? Or is it just newspaper talk? With that in mind, I expect it to be a small transfer budget. This is Arsenal Kroenke FC, after all.

There's also players on the way out/retiring. Cazorla is going to Spain, while Mertesacker has retired (although starting a new job at Arsenal). That's a couple of salaries less (or, in Mertesacker's case - a smaller one, you'd think). Then the question is if we'll see any being players being sold. That amounts to something, too.

The rumour linking Arsenal to centre-back Çağlar Söyüncü have been confirmed to be true, so there's at least signs of Arsenal looking at strengthening their defence. Won't believe it until we see it, of course. I'm more nervous than hopeful, to be honest.
    Rumours linking Gianluigi Donnarumma with a potential move to Liverpool. Guess some people on this thread would be happy about that!
    Rumours linking Gianluigi Donnarumma with a potential move to Liverpool. Guess some people on this thread would be happy about that!

It will be difficult to get him... Milan will set the price sky high. And I can't imagine they will not have stiff competition from other clubs. PSG, City, Juventus and even Real Madrid will be om the market for a world class goal keeper.

But if they manage, it will be some coop!
    jobo wrote: »

It will be difficult to get him... Milan will set the price sky high. And I can't imagine they will not have stiff competition from other clubs. PSG, City, Juventus and even Real Madrid will be om the market for a world class goal keeper.

Very good goalkeeper...maybe Emery will join in the challenge to get him ;)

I think Bernd Leno is a target for Arsenal, if we are to believe the rumours. He is on the way out from Bayer Leverkusen, and Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are said to be the clubs that are looking to sign him.

I guess all those clubs will be after a talent like Donnarumma. Can't see City chasing him, as they have a very good keeper in Ederson already - but Pep might want competition for all we know. As will Juventus most likely, although Wojciech Szczęsny looks like their nr. 1 for the next season.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 7,500

I think Bernd Leno is a target for Arsenal, if we are to believe the rumours. He is on the way out from Bayer Leverkusen, and Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are said to be the clubs that are looking to sign him.

I guess all those clubs will be after a talent like Donnarumma. Can't see City chasing him, as they have a very good keeper in Ederson already - but Pep might want competition for all we know. As will Juventus most likely, although Wojciech Szczęsny looks like their nr. 1 for the next season.

If clubs start tempting Donnarumma away, I would be very surprised if Juventus don't join in. With all respect to Szczesny, he is a solid keeper but still a clear downgrade from Buffon, no doubt! So when the next great Italian goalkeeper is on the move, Juventus will just stand by out of respect for Szczesny? I can't ser it...

The same goes for City and Ederson. He is a solid keeper, but not the world class star that would be considered outstanding or irreplacable for a club with City's resources.
  • RC7RC7
    A mate of mine who follows Serie A very closely isn’t a big Donnarumma fan - thinks he needs a few seasons yet to prove if it’s hype or not. Can’t comment myself, as I’ve only seen a handful of performances.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    A mate of mine who follows Serie A very closely isn’t a big Donnarumma fan - thinks he needs a few seasons yet to prove if it’s hype or not. Can’t comment myself, as I’ve only seen a handful of performances.

If its any help in the matter I had him in my team for 'Football Manager 2017' last year, and he was bloody amazing he he !!
  • RC7RC7

If its any help in the matter I had him in my team for 'Football Manager 2017' last year, and he was bloody amazing he he !!

Yeah, my understanding is that he had a good season last season, but not quite as good this year. Like I say, I can’t really critique. I did the classic thing of saying, ‘Oh yeah, he’s amazing, right?’ which got my mate talking about how he thinks his brother is better.

If clubs start tempting Donnarumma away, I would be very surprised if Juventus don't join in. With all respect to Szczesny, he is a solid keeper but still a clear downgrade from Buffon, no doubt! So when the next great Italian goalkeeper is on the move, Juventus will just stand by out of respect for Szczesny? I can't ser it...

The same goes for City and Ederson. He is a solid keeper, but not the world class star that would be considered outstanding or irreplacable for a club with City's resources.

That may be enough for Juve to make a move, but according to some rumours, they are instead ready to make a move for Genoa's Mattia Perin. Really don't know how he compares to Szczęsny. Would rather see Wojciech back at Arsenal, although that is highly unlikely to ever happen again.

According to an article I just read, Juve chief executive Giuseppe Marotta made this statement on the radio earlier this month: «We are focusing on Szczesny, who will be the starter after Buffon. Beyond the profile and the talent he [Donnarumma] has, we are not interested».

…Which will probably see them getting Donnarumma for a record fee in the end, haha!
    Will be interesting to see Denmark play France in the World Cup.
    Denmark coach Åge Hareide has been quoted in an interview with the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, saying stuff like: "I don't believe in that team", "I'll be angry if we don't cause trouble for that team, that's honestly nothing special", saying that the French team have good induvidual qualities, but a lack of team spirit, and slamming Paul Pogba for thinking more about his hair: "One day he's good, another day bad. Against Manchester City he played with white and blue hair. Against us he might show up with red and white hair. My impression is that he's mostly thinking about his hairstyle".
    Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has requested at least £100m to sign fresh talent this summer Wilfried Zaha, Anthony Martial and Ryan Sessegnon on the club's radar, according to the Daily Mail.

Christ, you know the summer transfer budget is poor when Sp*rs have a reported transfer budget of 2x that budget…
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    slamming Paul Pogba for thinking more about his hair: "One day he's good, another day bad. Against Manchester City he played with white and blue hair. Against us he might show up with red and white hair. My impression is that he's mostly thinking about his hairstyle".
    Agree entirely. Cloughie wouldn't have stood for it.
    Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has requested at least £100m to sign fresh talent this summer Wilfried Zaha, Anthony Martial and Ryan Sessegnon on the club's radar, according to the Daily Mail.

Christ, you know the summer transfer budget is poor when Sp*rs have a reported transfer budget of 2x that budget…
    And when even West Ham are pledging £75m (although I doubt that will ever see the light of day). I'm not even sure £50 counts as a transfer budget these days does it? More like something you found down the back of the sofa.

Still good to see Arsenal keeping their promises that moving into the Emirates would allow them to compete with Europe's elite 10 years down the line.

Do any of you poor Arse fans know what the season ticket uptake is? Are people renewing? Whilst people are still happy to funnel the highest prices in world football into Kronke's pocket why would he change anything?