"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Rumours linking Gianluigi Donnarumma with a potential move to Liverpool. Guess some people on this thread would be happy about that!

It will be difficult to get him... Milan will set the price sky high. And I can't imagine they will not have stiff competition from other clubs. PSG, City, Juventus and even Real Madrid will be om the market for a world class goal keeper.

But if they manage, it will be some coop!

Very good goalkeeper...maybe Emery will join in the challenge to get him ;)

I think Bernd Leno is a target for Arsenal, if we are to believe the rumours. He is on the way out from Bayer Leverkusen, and Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are said to be the clubs that are looking to sign him.
    Rumours linking Gianluigi Donnarumma with a potential move to Liverpool. Guess some people on this thread would be happy about that!

It will be difficult to get him... Milan will set the price sky high. And I can't imagine they will not have stiff competition from other clubs. PSG, City, Juventus and even Real Madrid will be om the market for a world class goal keeper.

I guess all those clubs will be after a talent like Donnarumma. Can't see City chasing him, as they have a very good keeper in Ederson already - but Pep might want competition for all we know. As will Juventus most likely, although Wojciech Szczęsny looks like their nr. 1 for the next season.

If clubs start tempting Donnarumma away, I would be very surprised if Juventus don't join in. With all respect to Szczesny, he is a solid keeper but still a clear downgrade from Buffon, no doubt! So when the next great Italian goalkeeper is on the move, Juventus will just stand by out of respect for Szczesny? I can't ser it...

The same goes for City and Ederson. He is a solid keeper, but not the world class star that would be considered outstanding or irreplacable for a club with City's resources.

That may be enough for Juve to make a move, but according to some rumours, they are instead ready to make a move for Genoa's Mattia Perin. Really don't know how he compares to Szczęsny. Would rather see Wojciech back at Arsenal, although that is highly unlikely to ever happen again.

According to an article I just read, Juve chief executive Giuseppe Marotta made this statement on the radio earlier this month: «We are focusing on Szczesny, who will be the starter after Buffon. Beyond the profile and the talent he [Donnarumma] has, we are not interested».

…Which will probably see them getting Donnarumma for a record fee in the end, haha!

Good God no way !!!

I think Bernd Leno is a target for Arsenal, if we are to believe the rumours. He is on the way out from Bayer Leverkusen, and Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are said to be the clubs that are looking to sign him.

I guess all those clubs will be after a talent like Donnarumma. Can't see City chasing him, as they have a very good keeper in Ederson already - but Pep might want competition for all we know. As will Juventus most likely, although Wojciech Szczęsny looks like their nr. 1 for the next season.

If clubs start tempting Donnarumma away, I would be very surprised if Juventus don't join in. With all respect to Szczesny, he is a solid keeper but still a clear downgrade from Buffon, no doubt! So when the next great Italian goalkeeper is on the move, Juventus will just stand by out of respect for Szczesny? I can't ser it...

The same goes for City and Ederson. He is a solid keeper, but not the world class star that would be considered outstanding or irreplacable for a club with City's resources.

That may be enough for Juve to make a move, but according to some rumours, they are instead ready to make a move for Genoa's Mattia Perin. Really don't know how he compares to Szczęsny. Would rather see Wojciech back at Arsenal, although that is highly unlikely to ever happen again.

According to an article I just read, Juve chief executive Giuseppe Marotta made this statement on the radio earlier this month: «We are focusing on Szczesny, who will be the starter after Buffon. Beyond the profile and the talent he [Donnarumma] has, we are not interested».

…Which will probably see them getting Donnarumma for a record fee in the end, haha!

Interesting. The problem for Juventus is obviously that Milan will be very reluctant to sell to them... So I guess rather than admit defeat it is better to pretend they aren't interested... ;) I think they will make an attempt though.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,279
    slamming Paul Pogba for thinking more about his hair: "One day he's good, another day bad. Against Manchester City he played with white and blue hair. Against us he might show up with red and white hair. My impression is that he's mostly thinking about his hairstyle".
    Agree entirely. Cloughie wouldn't have stood for it.

The comments were quoted in French newspapers, so it will be interesting to see if it provokes a reaction from the French when facing the Danes.
    Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has requested at least £100m to sign fresh talent this summer Wilfried Zaha, Anthony Martial and Ryan Sessegnon on the club's radar, according to the Daily Mail.

Christ, you know the summer transfer budget is poor when Sp*rs have a reported transfer budget of 2x that budget…
    And when even West Ham are pledging £75m (although I doubt that will ever see the light of day). I'm not even sure £50 counts as a transfer budget these days does it? More like something you found down the back of the sofa.

Still good to see Arsenal keeping their promises that moving into the Emirates would allow them to compete with Europe's elite 10 years down the line.

Do any of you poor Arse fans know what the season ticket uptake is? Are people renewing? Whilst people are still happy to funnel the highest prices in world football into Kronke's pocket why would he change anything?

Really don't know. Maybe @barryt007 knows?
    It's a ridiculous budget, if true. Emery have worked well under smaller budgets in Spain. Maybe that's why he landed the job…?

Good God no way !!!

A friend of mine who follows Italian football (as well as being an Arsenal fan), said a while a go that Szczęsny did perfectly fine on loan to Roma - not the same player we saw at Arsenal.

Interesting. The problem for Juventus is obviously that Milan will be very reluctant to sell to them... So I guess rather than admit defeat it is better to pretend they aren't interested... ;) I think they will make an attempt though.

The will probably make attempts on both Donnarumma and Perin, just to see if any of them will accept a bid. Perin - as far as I know, have been really good this season, while Donnarumma (who it's easy to forget is still only 19!), haven't had a good one.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Need to take the afternoon of Friday 15th June off work. Otherwise I might miss Morocco v Iran.
    slamming Paul Pogba for thinking more about his hair: "One day he's good, another day bad. Against Manchester City he played with white and blue hair. Against us he might show up with red and white hair. My impression is that he's mostly thinking about his hairstyle".

The comments were quoted in French newspapers, so it will be interesting to see if it provokes a reaction from the French when facing the Danes.
    Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has requested at least £100m to sign fresh talent this summer Wilfried Zaha, Anthony Martial and Ryan Sessegnon on the club's radar, according to the Daily Mail.

Christ, you know the summer transfer budget is poor when Sp*rs have a reported transfer budget of 2x that budget…
    And when even West Ham are pledging £75m (although I doubt that will ever see the light of day). I'm not even sure £50 counts as a transfer budget these days does it? More like something you found down the back of the sofa.

Still good to see Arsenal keeping their promises that moving into the Emirates would allow them to compete with Europe's elite 10 years down the line.

Do any of you poor Arse fans know what the season ticket uptake is? Are people renewing? Whilst people are still happy to funnel the highest prices in world football into Kronke's pocket why would he change anything?

It's a ridiculous budget, if true. Emery have worked well under smaller budgets in Spain. Maybe that's why he landed the job…?

They have frozen the season ticket prices for next season.They are still selling like hot cakes,probably due to the Emery factor now.

They have frozen the season ticket prices for next season.They are still selling like hot cakes,probably due to the Emery factor now.

Yeah, that's a massive factor.
    One thing I noticed under the press conference (although a thing that maybe only I find annoying), was that Gazidis said he, Emery and others had flown to Atlanta to meet with the Kroenke family.

Here they are making a massively important signing - the club's first manager in 22 years, and the Kroenke's doesn't even bother to fly over to England during the process? What the hell?!

One thing I noticed under the press conference (although a thing that maybe only I find annoying), was that Gazidis said he, Emery and others had flown to Atlanta to meet with the Kroenke family.

Here they are making a massively important signing - the club's first manager in 22 years, and the Kroenke's doesn't even bother to fly over to England during the process? What the hell?!

Kroenke is the biggest pain in the arse to ever grace the Arsenal board.

Indeed, and now it's a whole family thing with his son on board. Arsenal might be stuck with them for a loooooong time!

Indeed, and now it's a whole family thing with his son on board. Arsenal might be stuck with them for a loooooong time!

Someone somewhere will oust them eventually.
    Hopefully someone who actually gives a shit about our famous old club.

Surely there must be someone - but there is no doubt attractive clubs in Europe that's easier to buy the majority of shares in, rather than Arsenal.

The Telegraph: Arsenal increase summer transfer budget to £70m in early boost for Unai Emery.

£20m more? Wonder what that will get you. If an English club want to buy a player, you can bet that the selling club puts another £20m on top of the existing price tag.

(it's a lot of money, of course, but in international football in 2018…)

Surely there must be someone - but there is no doubt attractive clubs in Europe that's easier to buy the majority of shares in, rather than Arsenal.

The Telegraph: Arsenal increase summer transfer budget to £70m in early boost for Unai Emery.

£20m more? Wonder what that will get you. If an English club want to buy a player, you can bet that the selling club puts another £20m on top of the existing price tag.

It will go up a lot more I think.
    The £50m is a red herring.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Wow splashing the cash!

Add another 5m and you match London Utd!

Wow splashing the cash!

Add another 5m and you match London Utd!

I know!
    giphy.gif

Does anyone know how wealthy West Ham really is? Manuel Pellegrini can't have been cheap.
    Pellegrini is bringing in the old guard .

He wants Yaya Toure (35) and Willy Cabellero (36).

They already have Zabaleta too.

Yep....they will have a fleet of wheelchairs next to the pitch to wheel them into the dressing room at half time !

Yep....they will have a fleet of wheelchairs next to the pitch to wheel them into the dressing room at half time !

Wonder what the average age is at West Ham right now? Can't be that many youngsters in that squad.

Wonder what the average age is at West Ham right now? Can't be that many youngsters in that squad.

Who does he play for,Torg ?

Juve! He's 34 now, though…
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/25/arsenal-talks-stephan-lichtsteiner-juventus-unai-emery?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/25/arsenal-talks-stephan-lichtsteiner-juventus-unai-emery?CMP=share_btn_tw

Weird .

Aaah he is the Swiss captain,i know who he is now.

He could be a good squad player for 1 season,if he is free then why not ?

Weird .

On top of that, an Arsenal related Twitter account I follow, posted this:

And now even more:
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://sport.bt.com/free-to-air-champions-league-bt-sport-01364104958465

Two ways to watch the final if you dont have BT Sport, the first option is a few seconds ahead with its stream.
    Really interesting final between Villa and Fulham...could go either way.

Fulham 1-0 up but down to 10 men with 15 mins to go.

Grealish with a nasty tackle too. Could have been 10 vs 10 - but only a yellow.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Forgot game was on been asleep all day on night shift.

Looking forward to CL Final I think Liverpool achilles heal of not managing games well will be there undoing. I predict Liverpool to score first with Real to ultimately win 3 - 2.

Forgot game was on been asleep all day on night shift.

Looking forward to CL Final I think Liverpool achilles heal of not managing games well will be there undoing. I predict Liverpool to score first with Real to ultimately win 3 - 2.

Probably an offside not given and a penalty for two of Real's goals.
    Welcome to the Premiership Fulham !!
    Fulham to the PL. Jokanović has done well with this team. Will be interesting to see how they do things from here!
    Fulham to the PL. Jokanović has done well with this team. Will be interesting to see how they do things from here!

A good team as well....and a small tight ground like Craven Cottage could be a fortress...they deserve it over the season.