"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    England exit the U17s in the SF against Holland. I wonder if you can guess how they went out?

Still coverage saved by ITV4 presenter Seema Jaswal who is pretty easy on the eye. Or it was until I read this which has pissed me right off: https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6290767/seema-jaswal-how-old-itv-world-cup-presenter-married/

You can have your inclusivity and and #metoo bullshit all you want in normal life but don't start f**king around with my World Cup coverage. Pathetic. What's her CV to get her on the plane? Newsround and The Wright Stuff on 5ive.

When there's blokes like Ray Stubbs and Steve Rider who can't get a sniff these days of anything better than touring cars there's no way you're telling me she's going on merit rather than to tick some PC boxes;

Are there many female presenters/commentators covering football tournaments like the World Cup in the UK? I think there will be two female presenters - one on each of the channels airing the matches here. Lise Klaveness will be the first female commentator in a World Cup tournament on Norwegian TV this summer. She's a regular in other tournaments though, and more importantly a former footballer with games for the national side - so it's really no surprise she will be involved in the coverage of the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44103384

'Five other former England internationals - Phil Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Danny Murphy, Martin Keown and England women's Alex Scott - will also be among the BBC pundits in Russia.'

Alex Scott???? Yeah me neither. This bullshit is getting out of hand now. Is anyone seriously suggesting she would have got anywhere near the Beeb's coverage for the World Cup but for Weinstein and the #metoo movement droning on and on?

If she's so integral to the BBC team and is so knowledgeable about the game why has she never been on MOTD? Just getting parachuted straight into the biggest tournament of all simply because she's a woman is an utter disgrace.

The days of Euro 2000 when the Beeb fielded a spectacular lineup of Gary, Hansen, Martin O'Neil and a certain Johan Cruyff are but a very distant memory. Now it's just a parade of PC inclusivity tick box exercises and what someone's actually ever done in the game or on the punditry sofa is an irrelevance.

This isn't the Leyland DAF or the Emirates Cup it's the cocking World Cup. It's not a time for taking risks with broadcasting nonentities. You have to go with your strongest possible lineup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5726931/ITV-announce-punditry-team-2018-World-Cup-featuring-Roy-Keane-lead.html

ITV pulling off the real coup though. Eni Aluko! You really couldn't make this shit up. Literally impossible to get anyone more inclusive than that. Ticks more boxes than there are boxes.

Honestly if you could get fly on the wall footage of one of these TV companies deciding on their team it would be absolute comedy gold.

Might work out just fine, though! Then again, no matter male or female, you'd expect the channels to use people who have worked with these sort of tournaments before (which I guess Scott and Aluko haven't - if I read your comment right?). With Lise Klaveness on NRK, you have a familiar face who's done this for several years already, so that will be totally different. Same with the female presenters here; both regulars in big tournaments.
    Yes indeed. They might turn out to be the new Hansen or Gary Nev but thats not the point.

The BBC has several competent presenters such as Gaby, Hazel and Balding but they have all done their time to get to their positions.

And there have been female pundits in the Olympics such as Amy Williams who are decent but that's for skeleton bob where she is pretty much the only person in the country who can tell you what it's like to be out there.

But this is the world cup. You need to have done years on the MOTD sofa to be even in the conversation. Drogba another one who is hardly thrilling me. Signed because he is a name it seems. Every world cup the Beeb and ITV compete to do this stunt casting and it is very hit and miss. Henry and Bilic are decent even though I find it hard to stomach listening to guys whose world cup history includes a more flagrant handball than Maradona and cheating a bloke out of his world cup final place.
    Would have thought they'd use people with some experience for their WC coverage. Since when has Drogba done punditry?

Just went through the names covering the World Cup on NRK and TV2. Only familiar faces from both channels, so we know what to expect.
    Would have thought they'd use people with some experience for their WC coverage. Since when has Drogba done punditry?
    Since never. But this is the BBC remember. I think we can make an educated guess as to why he got the job.
    Just went through the names covering the World Cup on NRK and TV2. Only familiar faces from both channels, so we know what to expect.
    Surely Bendnter must be expecting a call? A bloke with his experience of playing at the highest level must be a fountain of knowledge?
    Since never. But this is the BBC remember. I think we can make an educated guess as to why he got the job.
    Surely Bendnter must be expecting a call? A bloke with his experience of playing at the highest level must be a fountain of knowledge?

As a pundit on TV, you mean? He's currently in the preliminary Denmark squad for the World Cup. Will likely be in the final squad, as well.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117

As a pundit on TV, you mean? He's currently in the preliminary Denmark squad for the World Cup. Will likely be in the final squad, as well.
    Shit seriously? Mind you we’re taking Danny Wellbeck FFS!

Meanwhile Michel blows the gaff wide open:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5744297/Michel-Platini-admits-draw-1998-World-Cup-fixed-make-France-Brazil-final-possible.html
    England exit the U17s in the SF against Holland. I wonder if you can guess how they went out?

Still coverage saved by ITV4 presenter Seema Jaswal who is pretty easy on the eye. Or it was until I read this which has pissed me right off: https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6290767/seema-jaswal-how-old-itv-world-cup-presenter-married/

You can have your inclusivity and and #metoo bullshit all you want in normal life but don't start f**king around with my World Cup coverage. Pathetic. What's her CV to get her on the plane? Newsround and The Wright Stuff on 5ive.

When there's blokes like Ray Stubbs and Steve Rider who can't get a sniff these days of anything better than touring cars there's no way you're telling me she's going on merit rather than to tick some PC boxes;

Are there many female presenters/commentators covering football tournaments like the World Cup in the UK? I think there will be two female presenters - one on each of the channels airing the matches here. Lise Klaveness will be the first female commentator in a World Cup tournament on Norwegian TV this summer. She's a regular in other tournaments though, and more importantly a former footballer with games for the national side - so it's really no surprise she will be involved in the coverage of the World Cup.

'Five other former England internationals - Phil Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Danny Murphy, Martin Keown and England women's Alex Scott - will also be among the BBC pundits in Russia.'

Alex Scott???? Yeah me neither. This bullshit is getting out of hand now. Is anyone seriously suggesting she would have got anywhere near the Beeb's coverage for the World Cup but for Weinstein and the #metoo movement droning on and on?

If she's so integral to the BBC team and is so knowledgeable about the game why has she never been on MOTD? Just getting parachuted straight into the biggest tournament of all simply because she's a woman is an utter disgrace.

The days of Euro 2000 when the Beeb fielded a spectacular lineup of Gary, Hansen, Martin O'Neil and a certain Johan Cruyff are but a very distant memory. Now it's just a parade of PC inclusivity tick box exercises and what someone's actually ever done in the game or on the punditry sofa is an irrelevance.

This isn't the Leyland DAF or the Emirates Cup it's the cocking World Cup. It's not a time for taking risks with broadcasting nonentities. You have to go with your strongest possible lineup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5726931/ITV-announce-punditry-team-2018-World-Cup-featuring-Roy-Keane-lead.html

ITV pulling off the real coup though. Eni Aluko! You really couldn't make this shit up. Literally impossible to get anyone more inclusive than that. Ticks more boxes than there are boxes.

Honestly if you could get fly on the wall footage of one of these TV companies deciding on their team it would be absolute comedy gold.

Alex Scott did do the expert role on MOTD for the FA Cup.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,297

Shit seriously? Mind you we’re taking Danny Wellbeck FFS!

Bendtner has been at his best when representing Denmark, I think. Another factor is that he's currently at Rosenborg. Denmark coach Åge Hareide managed Rosenborg back in 2003, and have two Rosenborg players in the preliminary squad: Mike Jensen and Nicklas Bendtner. Unsure wether Jensen will make the final squad, though. He's a real terrier in the midfield at his best, so you never know.

Incredible! :-O
    - Paul Lambert has left his position as Stoke manager.
    - Swansea City have parted company with manager Carlos Carvalhal following relegation from the Premier League. - Sky Sports
    vzok wrote: »

Alex Scott did do the expert role on MOTD for the FA Cup.

That gets you on the plane these days does it?

There’s a well worn path to getting a cushy gig at the World Cup - 5 Live, Football Focus, MOTD2, MOTD and you need to be doing it for years.

If they think she’s got what it takes try her out and maybe by the next World Cup she might have earned the right. But don’t try telling me she’s there on merit alone at this point in her career?
    I must admit I mute the whole lot of them when I watch a match. Not interested in hearing them bleeding on.

I’m surprised in the present environment that they aren’t making Southgate pick Alex Scott.
    vzok wrote: »
    I must admit I mute the whole lot of them when I watch a match. Not interested in hearing them bleeding on.

I’m surprised in the present environment that they aren’t making Southgate pick Alex Scott.
    I was about to make a scathing comment but actually do you think she is eligible? She’d probably walk into this utterly beige squad.
    Interesting rumours from The Mirror. Östersunds FK's Graham Potter is a contender for the Swansea job, apparently. He's been doing fantastic work with the Swedish side since 2011, taking them from the fourth tier of Swedish football all the way up to Allsvenskan in only a few years. As we've seen from this Europa League season, the little club managed to knock out Galatasaray and PAOK on their way to the group stage, finishing second in their group - a group featuring Athletic Bilbao and Herta Berlin. Not the best start to their current season, but that was probably expected after that European adventure.

I think Potter was linked to the manager job at Stoke before Paul Lambert got the job. Will be interesting to see if Potter makes a shift from Swedish football to English.

Looks, OK, but I really don't care much for that red stripe on the arms. Couldn't they just drop it?

How about other teams? Any 'leaked' kits around?

Looks, OK, but I really don't care much for that red stripe on the arms. Couldn't they just drop it?
    Is that really your biggest worry for the season ahead?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Apparently a wedding is on? I am building up to the Cup final, will be a tight game assuming Chelsea turn up.

Is that really your biggest worry for the season ahead?

Oh, I have plenty of worries about the upcoming season! The shirts is just one of many!
    I really hope they don't take inspiration from those grey United shirts for one of the secondary kits…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Lukaku on the bench for United, big day for Rashford
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Come on Chelsea.
    Oh...
    Hazard!
    Great penalty. :D
    Benny wrote: »
    Hazard!
    Great penalty. :D

That was a quality penalty by Hazard. Not much quality over that challenge from Jones…
    Good penalty, United will score though they need to improve too many sloppy passes.
    Can wait for England v Belgium. Jones got absolutely raped.
    Smallings tackle on Hazard is why I would have chose him for England instead of Jones.
    Frustrating United had opportunities in the second half, Jose will be not happy a few players will go in the summer.
    How the fuck can Ashley Young be on the plane? Awful.
    YES!

Get in. Chelsea get some silverware with an FA cup win.
    Young's final ball very poor in this game as was many of the United players.