Marseille vs Atletico Madrid
    7:45pm Wednesday 16th May
    Stade des Lumieres
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote: »
    EDIT : BIG SAM HAS LEFT EVERTON.

Marco Silva in, then?

I would think so,not that I rate him that much.
    I think they could get someone better.

Yeah he’s ok a bit of a journeyman. I don’t really see how they’ve stayed up as I can’t remember them beating anyone. They’ve had a Rory Kinnear of a season - just there in the background, not saying anything and slightly out of focus. They’ve kind of stayed up by stealth.

But there’s no way they can sack him even if Pep wanted to go there as he’s kept them up and is black. The Twitter mafia would string them up.
    001 wrote: »
    Europa League - Final
    Stade des Lumieres
    Salah isn't playing in this so not sure why you have it marked in your diary.

26/5 - Real v Liverpool
    6/6 - Belgium v Egypt
    15/6 - Egypt v Uruguay
    19/6 - Russia v Egypt
    25/6 - Saudi v Egypt
    7/9 - Egypt v Niger

Those are the big match dates you should really be concerned about.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,340
    Isn't Egypt's captain (and goalkeeper) 45 or something?

________
    David Moyes has left West Ham. - Sky Sports.

Quote:
    "We are already taking steps to identify and recruit the manager we believe can take West Ham United forward in line with our ambitions. We aim to appoint a high-calibre figure who we feel will lead the club into an exciting future for our loyal supporters within the next ten days."
    Allardyce? :))
    So that's 'Thanks but no thanks' to both managers...harsh.
    Both in the frame for the Arsenal job, or at least that’s what I heard.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    England squad announced :

72519b7d-1bcc-4312-b9ab-e661576bb4f4.jpg

I wouldn't have taken Cahill or Rose for sure.

Probably better than bloody Arteta who has NO managerial experience !!

Marco Silva in, then?

Yeah he’s ok a bit of a journeyman. I don’t really see how they’ve stayed up as I can’t remember them beating anyone. They’ve had a Rory Kinnear of a season - just there in the background, not saying anything and slightly out of focus. They’ve kind of stayed up by stealth.

But there’s no way they can sack him even if Pep wanted to go there as he’s kept them up and is black. The Twitter mafia would string them up.
    Europa League - Final
    Stade des Lumieres

26/5 - Real v Liverpool
    6/6 - Belgium v Egypt
    15/6 - Egypt v Uruguay
    19/6 - Russia v Egypt
    25/6 - Saudi v Egypt
    7/9 - Egypt v Niger

Settle down Harry high pants.....

No Arsenal fan would want any of those two, that's for sure! In saying that, one of them would probably end up getting the damn job, too - as those in charge can't be trusted to do anything right.

Marco Silva in, then?

Probably, but Everton might not be as desirable a club to manage, looking back at this season. As with Arsenal, that squad needs rebuilding.

Didn't Everton rebuild last summer?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Good call by Southgate not taking Wilshire and Hart, they have been poor lately.

The England Squad won't scare many sides, though hopefully England will be more a team than individuals this time. If we reach quarters it will be a step forward.
    vzok wrote: »

Marco Silva in, then?

Probably, but Everton might not be as desirable a club to manage, looking back at this season. As with Arsenal, that squad needs rebuilding.

Didn't Everton rebuild last summer?

Wouldn't say the players they brought in before the season were a success? Cenk Tosun scored some goals for them after he eventually got playing time, though.
    Sky Sports:
    Manuel Pellegrini's representatives have met West Ham this week to discuss the possibility of taking over at the London Stadium, Sky Sports understands, but wages are proving a stumbling block in negotiations at this stage.

Marco Silva in, then?

Europa League - Final
    Stade des Lumieres

26/5 - Real v Liverpool
    6/6 - Belgium v Egypt
    15/6 - Egypt v Uruguay
    19/6 - Russia v Egypt
    25/6 - Saudi v Egypt
    7/9 - Egypt v Niger

Settle down Harry high pants.....
    It's like being in the presence of Bill Hicks at his peak.
    Good call by Southgate not taking Wilshire and Hart, they have been poor lately.
    Agree 100% there. Hart just a liability and I don't really see how was even in the conversation given a) he's hardly played and b) when has he's been shit. Let's not forget this is the guy who limp wristedly palmed one in from 40 yards against Wales and then just to show it wasn't a fluke repeated the trick from 18 yards against Iceland. You had your chance son and you f**ked it right up.

Absolute no brainer that Pope was ahead of him and I'm only surprised it's taken this long for Gareth to see it.

Wilshire I'm no fan of at all - shockingly overrated and a big time charlie who has still to deliver anything meaningful in his career - but when the option is Fabian 'spends less time on the pitch than Winston Bogarde and when he does he just comes across as a poor mans Henderson' Delph is the alternative then throw him in.

Realistically is Delph going to play a single minute? Very unlikely unless we are beset by injuries and red cards. Instead of playing safe on a benchwarmer like this take a punt on a Lallana, Wilshire and Shelvey (in that order IMO) who might pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Trent a nice surprise (and deserved) callup but I can't help wishing he had somehow coaxed Milner out of retirement.
    The England Squad won't scare many sides, though hopefully England will be more a team than individuals this time. If we reach quarters it will be a step forward.
    Won't scare any will it? Even Panama probably thinking we can have a real go at these.

Not Gareth's fault I suppose, he can't exactly pull Gazza and Terry Butcher out of his arse. He's stuck with some real dross. Is this the worst squad in terms of talent to go to a tournament in living memory? Certainly mine. Even the Graham Taylor days had Gazza when he was fit. There is no one in this squad who can win a game out of nothing.

Luckily we have such an easy group that we can almost treat the first 2 games as friendlies to perfect the formation and playing together. Assuming we both win the first 2 the Belgium game is fairly meaningless. Trouble is first decent team we come up against will brush us aside with ease.

With this squad maybe get Pulis or Big Sam and try and do a Greece might be the best option?
    England most likely escapes facing Iceland again, with the latter playing Argentina, Nigeria and Croatia in the group stages. Iceland could have got a result against this England side, I think.
    _________
    Rosenborg showing more attacking play with their 3-0 win against Lillestrøm tonight. Lord Bendtner with the first, and Helland and Søderlund - who returned to the club from Saint-Étienne earlier this year, with the other two. Lillestrøm hardly the most difficult opponent - at least when Rosenborg play at home, so they need to better their overall results.

"Little brother" Ranheim also keep getting results. A 1-3 win away against Kristiansund sees the underdog team climb up to third on the league table. What an incredible story to follow! The closest thing to compare this with, would be if Huddersfield found themselves at third on the table after ten PL matches.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @TheWizardOfIce we certainly won't miss Harts calming influence...

One thing in England's favour is youth and pace, the midfield is a concern though Southgate seems to have set up the team to combat the Squads deficiencies.

Loftus-Cheek could be a break out star for England at the WC.
    Arsenal will hold talks with Mikel Arteta on Thursday about becoming their new manager, according to Sky sources.

Wonder how much truth it is to this rumour, or if it's just one of the many names suggested by the media. Could it also be that the next Arsenal manager isn't any of the names being talked about?
    Not a good move.

He has no managerial experience and that is what we need atm in this job.

So much for the 'big name appointment'.
    How is Arteta ahead of Viera?
    vzok wrote: »
    How is Arteta ahead of Viera?

God knows !

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/16/argentina-fa-apology-pick-up-guide-russia-2018-world-cup
    Poor old Argies if they think this is how to impress a woman. We all know that the truth is there's nothing that drives a Russian girl more crazy than saying your country owns the Falklands.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/16/argentina-fa-apology-pick-up-guide-russia-2018-world-cup
    Poor old Argies if they think this is how to impress a woman. We all know that the truth is there's nothing that drives a Russian girl more crazy than saying your country owns the Falklands.

This is so ridiculous! And the apology even more so :)) :

«The teacher in charge of the course chose information to give the assistants but regretfully at the moment of printing, because of an unforeseen error a text that was never part of the course was included.»
    Arteta going to Gunners makes kind of sense if rumours are true that the new manager will only get a pittance of a transfer budget, plus Arteta won't cost much.
    England exit the U17s in the SF against Holland. I wonder if you can guess how they went out?

Still coverage saved by ITV4 presenter Seema Jaswal who is pretty easy on the eye. Or it was until I read this which has pissed me right off: https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6290767/seema-jaswal-how-old-itv-world-cup-presenter-married/

You can have your inclusivity and and #metoo bullshit all you want in normal life but don't start f**king around with my World Cup coverage. Pathetic. What's her CV to get her on the plane? Newsround and The Wright Stuff on 5ive.

When there's blokes like Ray Stubbs and Steve Rider who can't get a sniff these days of anything better than touring cars there's no way you're telling me she's going on merit rather than to tick some PC boxes;
    Penalties by any chance? lol

That's where you're wrong! It was on the wrong end of a 4-3 thriller.

Nah only joking. A turgid 0-0 and obviously out on pens. I guess our coaching staff like to start them young.
    England exit the U17s in the SF against Holland. I wonder if you can guess how they went out?

Still coverage saved by ITV4 presenter Seema Jaswal who is pretty easy on the eye. Or it was until I read this which has pissed me right off: https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6290767/seema-jaswal-how-old-itv-world-cup-presenter-married/

You can have your inclusivity and and #metoo bullshit all you want in normal life but don't start f**king around with my World Cup coverage. Pathetic. What's her CV to get her on the plane? Newsround and The Wright Stuff on 5ive.

When there's blokes like Ray Stubbs and Steve Rider who can't get a sniff these days of anything better than touring cars there's no way you're telling me she's going on merit rather than to tick some PC boxes;

Are there many female presenters/commentators covering football tournaments like the World Cup in the UK? I think there will be two female presenters - one on each of the channels airing the matches here. Lise Klaveness will be the first female commentator in a World Cup tournament on Norwegian TV this summer. She's a regular in other tournaments though, and more importantly a former footballer with games for the national side - so it's really no surprise she will be involved in the coverage of the World Cup.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117

Are there many female presenters/commentators covering football tournaments like the World Cup in the UK? I think there will be two female presenters - one on each of the channels airing the matches here. Lise Klaveness will be the first female commentator in a World Cup tournament on Norwegian TV this summer. She's a regular in other tournaments though, and more importantly a former footballer with games for the national side - so it's really no surprise she will be involved in the coverage of the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44103384

'Five other former England internationals - Phil Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Danny Murphy, Martin Keown and England women's Alex Scott - will also be among the BBC pundits in Russia.'

Alex Scott???? Yeah me neither. This bullshit is getting out of hand now. Is anyone seriously suggesting she would have got anywhere near the Beeb's coverage for the World Cup but for Weinstein and the #metoo movement droning on and on?

If she's so integral to the BBC team and is so knowledgeable about the game why has she never been on MOTD? Just getting parachuted straight into the biggest tournament of all simply because she's a woman is an utter disgrace.

The days of Euro 2000 when the Beeb fielded a spectacular lineup of Gary, Hansen, Martin O'Neil and a certain Johan Cruyff are but a very distant memory. Now it's just a parade of PC inclusivity tick box exercises and what someone's actually ever done in the game or on the punditry sofa is an irrelevance.

This isn't the Leyland DAF or the Emirates Cup it's the cocking World Cup. It's not a time for taking risks with broadcasting nonentities. You have to go with your strongest possible lineup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5726931/ITV-announce-punditry-team-2018-World-Cup-featuring-Roy-Keane-lead.html

ITV pulling off the real coup though. Eni Aluko! You really couldn't make this shit up. Literally impossible to get anyone more inclusive than that. Ticks more boxes than there are boxes.

Honestly if you could get fly on the wall footage of one of these TV companies deciding on their team it would be absolute comedy gold.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,530

That's where you're wrong! It was on the wrong end of a 4-3 thriller.

Nah only joking. A turgid 0-0 and obviously out on pens. I guess our coaching staff like to start them young.

I was aware of the game though could not watch it.

True way too much of a conservative approach in national football, do or die gives England a better chance than our constant failed attempts at trying to win playing it safe.

90 and 96 not included England tried to win in normal time, one less pie from Gazza we would have beaten Germany in 96 in the semi's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44103384

'Five other former England internationals - Phil Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Danny Murphy, Martin Keown and England women's Alex Scott - will also be among the BBC pundits in Russia.'

Alex Scott???? Yeah me neither. This bullshit is getting out of hand now. Is anyone seriously suggesting she would have got anywhere near the Beeb's coverage for the World Cup but for Weinstein and the #metoo movement droning on and on?

If she's so integral to the BBC team and is so knowledgeable about the game why has she never been on MOTD? Just getting parachuted straight into the biggest tournament of all simply because she's a woman is an utter disgrace.

The days of Euro 2000 when the Beeb fielded a spectacular lineup of Gary, Hansen, Martin O'Neil and a certain Johan Cruyff are but a very distant memory. Now it's just a parade of PC inclusivity tick box exercises and what someone's actually ever done in the game or on the punditry sofa is an irrelevance.

This isn't the Leyland DAF or the Emirates Cup it's the cocking World Cup. It's not a time for taking risks with broadcasting nonentities. You have to go with your strongest possible lineup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5726931/ITV-announce-punditry-team-2018-World-Cup-featuring-Roy-Keane-lead.html

ITV pulling off the real coup though. Eni Aluko! You really couldn't make this shit up. Literally impossible to get anyone more inclusive than that. Ticks more boxes than there are boxes.

Honestly if you could get fly on the wall footage of one of these TV companies deciding on their team it would be absolute comedy gold.

Might work out just fine, though! Then again, no matter male or female, you'd expect the channels to use people who have worked with these sort of tournaments before (which I guess Scott and Aluko haven't - if I read your comment right?). With Lise Klaveness on NRK, you have a familiar face who's done this for several years already, so that will be totally different. Same with the female presenters here; both regulars in big tournaments.