"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

End of an Era we will never have 20+ year managers again.

Another Era close to an end, Iniesta about to start for his final El Clasico one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Strange day in football. I'm no follower of Spanish football, but Iniesta leaving Barca surely leaves La Liga with one less attraction.

Arsenal also sees Mertesacker retiring (but not leaving the club), as well as Vic Akers. How long has Akers been at the club, @barryt007?
    Interesting bit of rumours for Liverpool fans:
    «Liverpool have agreed a £62million deal with Ligue 1 side Lyon to sign playmaker Nabil Fekir this summer, according to reports emerging from France.»

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/06/liverpool-reportedly-agree-62m-deal-lyon-nabil-fekir-7525538/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Another Era close to an end, Iniesta about to start for his final El Clasico one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Strange day in football. I'm no follower of Spanish football, but Iniesta leaving Barca surely leaves La Liga with one less attraction.

Arsenal also sees Mertesacker retiring (but not leaving the club), as well as Vic Akers. How long has Akers been at the club, @barryt007?

Suarez just scored a great goal, good build up by Barca.

Who do you think the next Arsenal Manager will be, it would be wise to appoint someone early unless it's a World Cup coach.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 17,372

Who do you think the next Arsenal Manager will be, it would be wise to appoint someone early unless it's a World Cup coach.

As was discussed on an Arsenal podcast I listen to, the ideal thing would be to announce the new manager in one of the first days after the Huddersfield match - if they have found their man, that is.

Us Arsenal fans can only hope the board and owners have done their job for once, and found the next manager already, so that they can start working on strengthening the squad.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

As was discussed on an Arsenal podcast I listen to, the ideal thing would be to announce the new manager in one of the first days after the Huddersfield match - if they have found their man, that is.

Us Arsenal fans can only hope the board and owners have done their job for once, and found the next manager already, so that they can start working on strengthening the squad.

I don't pay much attention to rumours though appears whoever takes over won't have much to spend.

Barca down to ten men come on Madrid, Barca's potential unbeaten season is under threat.

I don't pay much attention to rumours though appears whoever takes over won't have much to spend.

Barca down to ten men come on Madrid, Barca's potential unbeaten season is under threat.

That's what the rumours say, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were true. The new manager have a very difficult job waiting. The question is: who would like to take charge of this unsteady ship?

Ten men? Damn, Real really have all the luck in the world, don't they. Liverpool fans should worry for the final.

(might have been an obvious booking, though!)

Vic is 1996 same as Arsene.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Vic is 1996 same as Arsene.

I see. Will be strange not seeing him sitting there in his shorts - no matter the weather!
    Rumours about Allegri to Arsenal again. Why would he leave Juve?

Edit: David Ornstein with the latest:

Who's your favourite, @barryt007?

I think,personally,that Brendan Rodgers would do a good job,and he knows the English/Scottish leagues and how they operate.

I think,personally,that Brendan Rodgers would do a good job,and he knows the English/Scottish leagues and how they operate.

I'm a bit unsure about him personally. Is he a manager that can steady the ship at Arsenal?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Alright! Just turned on Swansea-Southampton. What a match this will be for the two clubs - and so much to play for!

Come on Saints !!!!!

I had a lovely time at their old ground,The Dell,when i watched them - and i met the great Jimmy Case for a good chat @TheWizardOfIce ;)
    No wonder these two are fighting relegation, not much attacking threat in either side.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,679
    Gabandini scores I bet Matt Le Tissier went crazy in the studio when that went in

Congrats Southampton, Sparky avoided being the manager of two relegated sides in a single season.
    Damn, I went with Naughton over Cedric for double gameweek in FPL…
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Alright! Just turned on Swansea-Southampton. What a match this will be for the two clubs - and so much to play for!

Come on Saints !!!!!

I had a lovely time at their old ground,The Dell,when i watched them - and i met the great Jimmy Case for a good chat @TheWizardOfIce ;)
    Legend.

Only went to the Dell once. Circa 1993 and it started snowing as I left and by the time I got there it was about 5 inches. We conceded in the first minute and lost 4-2. And then a shitter of a trip home.
    Swansea defender? That's bold/misguided.
    Swansea defender? That's bold/misguided.

Yeah, needed to take a punt, and Swansea needed points, if only draws. Oh, well.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    So despite all the nauseating 'it would be a fitting send off if Wenger won the Europa' platitudes we've had to endure over the last few weeks this is how the Arsene era ends; not with a bang but with a whimper.

Come on Saints !!!!!

My dad went to school with jimmy case. Ive heard the anecdote that me old man saved a case penalty with his face about a thousand times smh.
    He seems a good fella. When shankly wanted to sign him from south liverpool, he told shanks that he would sign for him but only after he completed his apprenticeship ( i think at jaguar lr ) so that he had something to fall back on if he didnt make it as a player. Shanks waited and the rest is history.
    DCisared wrote: »
    So despite all the nauseating 'it would be a fitting send off if Wenger won the Europa' platitudes we've had to endure over the last few weeks this is how the Arsene era ends; not with a bang but with a whimper.

Come on Saints !!!!!

My dad went to school with jimmy case. Ive heard the anecdote that me old man saved a case penalty with his face about a thousand times smh.
    He seems a good fella. When shankly wanted to sign him from south liverpool, he told shanks that he would sign for him but only after he completed his apprenticeship ( i think at jaguar lr ) so that he had something to fall back on if he didnt make it as a player. Shanks waited and the rest is history.

That sounds like typical Jimmy Case,thanks for the anecdote !

From Sky Sports:
    «Arsenal have opened talks with Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno as a possible replacement for Petr Cech, according to reports in Germany.

Bild suggest the Gunners are battling Atletico Madrid to sign the 26-year-old.»

Jan Oblak heading to another club?
    He is still an over-rated player to me...I don't like him.
    Normal service resumed at Arsenal. A timely reminder to the fans of why he's going after Saturdays saccharin spectacle painted him as some sort of genius.
    Normal service resumed at Arsenal. A timely reminder to the fans of why he's going after Saturdays saccharin spectacle painted him as some sort of genius.

His last game so be a gentleman, and to be honest I really enjoyed Arsenal through good and bad times. Their art of Football was sadly not always there but they did offer some beautiful games.
    SaintMark wrote: »

His last game so be a gentleman, and to be honest I really enjoyed Arsenal through good and bad times. Their art of Football was sadly not always there but they did offer some beautiful games.

So it's fine for every man and his dog to slag off Mourinho the whole season despite his stellar CV but we can't have a word against a guy who was half decent a decade ago?

'Beautiful games' - the last refuge of the Wenger apologist. Would that be the 8-2 against Utd or the repetitive thrashings by Bayern year in year out?

Incidentally his last game is on Sunday.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 7,653

So it's fine for every man and his dog to slag off Mourinho the whole season despite his stellar CV but we can't have a word against a guy who was half decent a decade ago?

'Beautiful games' - the last refuge of the Wenger apologist. Would that be the 8-2 against Utd or the repetitive thrashings by Bayern year in year out?

My issue with Mourinho is that he is less interested in football than in winning. and in doing so always creates a lot of friction that is totally unnecessary , and his parking the bus is effective but such a sad day for the game of football.

I prefer Wenger over Mourinho every day of the week and the weekend twice. One loves the game of football and the other one loves himself. Which is the second one in row that manages MU. ;)

I prefer Wenger over Mourinho every day of the week and the weekend twice. One loves the game of football and the other one loves himself. Which is the second one in row that manages MU. ;)
    LVG another guy with an infinitely better CV than Wenger who it's fine to slag off apparently.

Wengerball is fine in pre season friendlies or the New York Cosmos but in the serious business of the premier league and the CL it's winning that matters.
    Winning the CL would be Real or Liverpool indeed.

Fuck em..totally agree.