"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited May 2018 Posts: 17,378
    Hodgson better suited as a club manager, perhaps?

Out of the World Cup in 2 games? Humiliated by Iceland? I don't think 'perhaps' is the word you're after so much as 'indubitably'.

He's a meat and potatoes, solid, midtable club manager. But compare that to his international record and it makes him practically Fergie at club level.

There was supposed to be a smiley there! Fixed!
    Chortle.

Although in your neck of the woods he's still a legend isn't he?

What, Hodgson? Probably in Stavanger, where he managed Viking. Did alright with them, where they were just two points away from knockout stage in the 05-06 UEFA Cup. They actually managed to win against Austria Wien and Monaco during that campaign.

Well I meant Scandinavia in general. It's all the same to us I'm afraid - saunas, reindeer, fit blonde birds, ludicrous prices for a pint and f**king freezing!

You should visit Scandinavia. You might like it, you know!

Regarding Hodgson, I really don't know if he has much of a reputation in "our neck of the woods". He didn't stick around for a long time in the various managerial positions - with the exception of the Swedish clubs he managed during the late seventies and eighties. His record of clubs managed is quite long!

Lived in Finland for 6 months old son so I am used to getting battered on 1% cider rather than go to the state alcohol shop.

Only been to Norway once though and didn't eat for the last 24hrs as I refused to pay the prices. £2 for a Twix?? Just rang home and said 'My plane lands at 21.30, I'll call you to get the balti in!'

Actually I'm considering a little tour of some Scanny countries on my way to Russia in June.

Anyway regarding Hodgson - I thought he was a God in Sweden?

1% cider? Surely the Finnish have something stronger…? :-D

Everything is expensive here in Norway. German motorhome tourist usually bring their own food with them, only spending money on petrol, while they make their way to Nordkapp or wherever they go.

If you like taking a scenic trip, you might like traveling with Hurtigruten: https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/
    Not at all cheap, of course!
    _________
    Shame we don't have any Swedes on this thread (or maybe we do). Hodgson might be a God in Sweden for all I know, haha!
    @DiscoVolante is Swedish and a mod but I’m not sure he is on here much lately
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117

Out of the World Cup in 2 games? Humiliated by Iceland? I don't think 'perhaps' is the word you're after so much as 'indubitably'.

He's a meat and potatoes, solid, midtable club manager. But compare that to his international record and it makes him practically Fergie at club level.

Chortle.

What, Hodgson? Probably in Stavanger, where he managed Viking. Did alright with them, where they were just two points away from knockout stage in the 05-06 UEFA Cup. They actually managed to win against Austria Wien and Monaco during that campaign.

Well I meant Scandinavia in general. It's all the same to us I'm afraid - saunas, reindeer, fit blonde birds, ludicrous prices for a pint and f**king freezing!

Regarding Hodgson, I really don't know if he has much of a reputation in "our neck of the woods". He didn't stick around for a long time in the various managerial positions - with the exception of the Swedish clubs he managed during the late seventies and eighties. His record of clubs managed is quite long!

Lived in Finland for 6 months old son so I am used to getting battered on 1% cider rather than go to the state alcohol shop.

Only been to Norway once though and didn't eat for the last 24hrs as I refused to pay the prices. £2 for a Twix?? Just rang home and said 'My plane lands at 21.30, I'll call you to get the balti in!'

Actually I'm considering a little tour of some Scanny countries on my way to Russia in June.

Well yes but you're paying through the nose. Fortunately there was a guy who would nip over the border to Russia once a fortnight and load up on cheap beer!
    If you like taking a scenic trip, you might like traveling with Hurtigruten: https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/
    Need to do the fjords one day but that's slightly outside my budget. Was thinking more of a strategy incorporating Eurolines (or cheaper local alternatives!)

Chortle.

Well yes but you're paying through the nose. Fortunately there was a guy who would nip over the border to Russia once a fortnight and load up on cheap beer!

Russian beer any good? Would have thought there were some cheap Finnish vodka or similar? Never been to Finland, so I might be wrong. Food is cheaper than here in Norway, I think.
    Need to do the fjords one day but that's slightly outside my budget. Was thinking more of a strategy incorporating Eurolines (or cheaper local alternatives!)

There should be some decent priced bus travels to take along the coast. Took an inland bus trip from Bergen to Trondheim once, but that was hardly enjoyable. Air condition was poor, and the bus driver drove like crazy. Not a tourist route, though.
    WBA-Sp*rs, 1-0!
    Imagine them putting Darren Moore in charge just a few games earlier!
    Rosenborg-Ranheim might be one of the very few fixtures in football where supporters of both teams sing along with the home team's songs!
    _____
    1-1, full-time. This was another poor performance by Rosenborg. How long can this keep happening? Brann will have the chance to get a 8 point lead on the league table by this time tomorrow.
    Oooh! Southampton scores away against Everton, then Yoshida is shown the red card, then in added time, Davies scores for Everton!

Southampton and Swansea both on 33 points, and play each other next week!
  • RC7RC7
    Fergie seriously ill. Please no.
    All the best to Sir Alex with that bloody brain haemorrhage on behalf of all true Arsenal fans .

You always win your hardest battles Fergie xxxx
    Hope he'll be alright. The procedure was successful, according to United's Twitter account.
    Was looking forward to watching the last home match of the season for Arsenal today, but of course the idiots in TV2 won't show the match!
    El classico tonight, Chelsea v Liverpool. :)
    Looks like Cardiff are on their way to the PL. Birmingham with a two-goal lead against Fulham at the moment.
    Huddersfield impressive against City. They deserve to stay up!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This weekend is turning into a fantasy football holocaust.

Absolutely dismal results so far.
    This weekend is turning into a fantasy football holocaust.

Absolutely dismal results so far.

I took Groß out for a hit! Will definitely be back in the FPL team next season!
    Man, how many people are there in Pep's backroom staff? I'm assuming that's them lifting the trophy right there!
    Thank God all that Man City trophy shit is over and I missed it x Liverpool being bitch slapped atm by Chelski and the player who could have got us to the EL Final .
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Thank God all that Man City trophy shit is over and I missed it x Liverpool being bitch slapped atm by Chelski and the player who could have got us to the EL Final .

Miss Giroud so much!

Miss Giroud so much!

A serious cock up simple as that Torg.

Miss Giroud so much!

At least the two strikers are combining goals against Burnley right now!

Miss Giroud so much!

Are they ? What’s the score ?

Miss Giroud so much!

2-0! Aubameyang goal (Lacazette assist), and then one for Laca (Bellerín assist).

Edit: I quite like the idea of playing both of them. Best way to get goals.

…3-0! Kolašinac goal (Wilshere assist).
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339

Miss Giroud so much!

2-0! Aubameyang goal (Lacazette assist), and then one for Laca (Bellerín assist).

I agree x they seem to be building a partnership
    Aah 3-0 now I see !

Miss Giroud so much!

I agree x they seem to be building a partnership
    Aah 3-0 now I see !

4-0! Iwobi goal (Auba assist).
    5-0! Auba again (Bellerín assist).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Watching Wengers farewell, in the end he was doing what his pay masters wanted, Wenger helped run and create a good business.
    Beautiful speech by Arsène.
    Only showed the speech on TV here. Poor coverage.
    It’s a great send off for him .
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    End of an Era we will never have 20+ year managers again.

Another Era close to an end, Iniesta about to start for his final El Clasico one of the greatest midfielders of all time.