No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think 5 is a great amount to end on. Maybe even the ideal number. Let’s just hope the fifth movie itself is a good one. And that we can get more Bond films more frequently out of whoever is next.

would have been a massive shame if we'd never got OP. DAF and AVTAK I could live without but they add to the overall richness of the series
    Any Bond film adds to the richness of the series, because I don't think they've ever delivered a complete and utter PoS. Having said that, I'm not sure I would consider it a massive shame if DAF & AVTAK weren't in the stable. OP, yes.

What I'm saying is that after such a long wait, I'd at least want a film that can rank in the top 10 of Bond entries according to most viewers, which is what we got with GE (I'm sure you disagree), TSWLM and CR. I think we deserve that at least.
    It's interesting (and perhaps human nature) that the longer the delay, the greater the expectancy (in all things). So, if true, EON put themselves (and Boyle and his team) to come up with something above average and, therefore, the bigger the let down if it does not meet this.
    peter wrote: »
    re: money: number one, he's richer than doG. Number two, he's a sardonic kinda guy... Admittedly, I do love the guy (behind King C), but seriously, Connery was more about the money than Craig.

He has stated that this role has given him so much money that he can now take care of his family for quite some time. It's on google.

Craig’s words are worth about zero . This guy is contradicting himself permanently. He praised the quality of Skyfall script before its release just to say before Spectre that it wasn’t that’s good or even rather bad logic wise and that they had made up for it in SP ( and be honest is there more blatant lie imaginable? ). And, and, and ....
    And about not needing the money - of course need is relative, but his life certainly isn’t cheap either and there is still the government taking its share of his income and most of all he is probably aware that there won’t be another paycheck in that range in his career. Because it’s just about certain that after Bond there won’t be any big budget movies in his life in which he has the main role.
    patb wrote: »
    It's interesting (and perhaps human nature) that the longer the delay, the greater the expectancy (in all things). So, if true, EON put themselves (and Boyle and his team) to come up with something above average and, therefore, the bigger the let down if it does not meet this.
    Indeed. That is very true.

I want to add the following to my prior statement: In the case of GE, CR, TSWLM and even SF not only did we get a top 10 (by most people's estimation) entry after the long wait, but we also had a Bond actor who could continue for at least a few more. That is not the case here, which goes back to my point from yesterday about this not just being about B25 after this wait, but rather about B25 and the future.

In my humble view, this is most similar to the Dalton situation in 1994.
    --

@noSolaceleft good point. With his child on the way and at his age I don't see many big blockbuster roles in his immediate future either. This is not to say that he won't be a busy actor post-Bond (Purity is still on the cards), but I can't see him taking on something large scale ever again, even if something were available to him. Smaller character roles are more likely, and they certainly won't pay as well. Quite frankly, I don't blame him for wanting to cash out, if that is indeed his plan. This isn't and has never been about Craig for me. He's an actor and a person doing what he must. It's about EON.
    bondjames wrote: »

I want to add the following to my prior statement: In the case of GE, CR, TSWLM and even SF not only did we get a top 10 (by most people's estimation) entry after the long wait, but we also had a Bond actor who could continue for at least a few more. That is not the case here, which goes back to my point from yesterday about this not just being about B25 after this wait, but rather about B25 and the future.

With the exception that Dalton wasn't ageing at a rapid rate,and watched what he said and how he behaved re the role of Bond.

I'm losing a lot of faith in Craig lately.

barryt007 wrote: »

With the exception that Dalton wasn't ageing at a rapid rate,and watched what he said and how he behaved re the role of Bond.

Cubby asked Dalton to do more than one if he returned for GE after the long break. Dalton declined and they moved on. By a similar token and reasoning, Craig should be made to commit, and not after another lengthy break. If not, thank you very much for your contributions and all the best with life.

Cubby asked Dalton to do more than one if he returned for GE after the long break. Dalton declined and they moved on. By a similar token and reasoning, Craig should be made to commit, and not after another lengthy break. If not, thank you very much for your contributions and all the best with life.

I really, really have problems buying this story. To really have asked Dalton to come back after the long hiatus and the reception he had in his first two movies Cubby would have had to be well past his time then. There is no reason imaginable why he should have done so. It really has been a long break and I remember that I personally (and I was a big big Bond fan )had completely closed the Bond movies file. I remember how the trailer for goldeneye took me completely by surprise. I really hadn’t expected to see another James Bond movie.
    I think 5 is a great amount to end on. Maybe even the ideal number. Let’s just hope the fifth movie itself is a good one. And that we can get more Bond films more frequently out of whoever is next.

would have been a massive shame if we'd never got OP. DAF and AVTAK I could live without but they add to the overall richness of the series
    Any Bond film adds to the richness of the series, because I don't think they've ever delivered a complete and utter PoS. Having said that, I'm not sure I would consider it a massive shame if DAF & AVTAK weren't in the stable. OP, yes.

What I'm saying is that after such a long wait, I'd at least want a film that can rank in the top 10 of Bond entries according to most viewers, which is what we got with GE (I'm sure you disagree), TSWLM and CR. I think we deserve that at least.

GE is definitely the anomaly here, being the 3rd from worst film in the series
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

giphy.gif

Is he taking the piss ??!!

kbnmjXL.gif
    I don't know about you chaps, but I could definitely use a bit of 'cool' like this again soon.
    neL1gII.gif
    Its interesting, I exchanded some posts with @bondjames about what was required for the next re-imagining of Bond and we agreed that it needed alot more charm and more fun. Perhaps added to this, some more escapism rather than the dark World of DC's Bond,

before you know it, you are back with PB!!!

Its interesting, I exchanded some posts with @bondjames about what was required for the next re-imagining of Bond and we agreed that it needed alot more charm and more fun. Perhaps added to this, some more escapism rather than the dark World of DC's Bond,

before you know it, you are back with PB!!!

giphy.gif
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can hardly wait.

3o85xsthxqomc6joZi.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Some very fair points over the ;last 2 days or so.

A question to those who are on the "dont worry, worth wating for quality etc". Is there a point when the length of delay does harm the franchise? Surely, there has to be a figure?

Ten years.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,602
    The other thing we have been discussing is how can some spirit of the original Bond survive in the current world of MeeToo etc, well, I came across this (sorry , its another Ironman reference) but it shows how it can be done;

"who is she?"

"she is a potentially very expensive sexual harrasment law suit" (from 1.15)

obvioulsy there is also the jealousy ellement also

considering this was 2010, perhaps it was ahead of its time but it does show how you can have sexual banter/chemisty whilst referencing modern culture. I think it's well written dialogue (well executed also) but could be just me. I can imagine this type of banter working in a lighter, more relaxed future Bond world...between Bond and Moneypenny?

(disclaimer, before I get jumped on, Im not saying that Bond should become a superhero etc, just using this as an example of modern writing in a big movie with a light touch)

The other thing we have been discussing is how can some spirit of the original Bond survive in the current world of MeeToo etc, well, I came across this (sorry , its another Ironman reference) but it shows how it can be done;

"who is she?"

considering this was 2010, perhaps it was ahead of its time but it does show how you can have sexual banter/chemisty whilst referencing modern culture. I think it's well written dialogue (well executed also) but could be just me. I can imagine this type of banter working in a lighter, more relaxed future Bond world...between Bond and Moneypenny?

(disclaimer, before I get jumped on, Im not saying that Bond should become a superhero etc, just using this as an example of modern writing in a big movie with a light touch)
    This is an excellent scene and a perfect example of where you and I are coming from. Nobody should do this sort of thing better than Bond, and certainly not a superhero. This the realm where Connery and Moore were the absolute best. The irony and sexual tension is palpable. Love it.

Here is the same scene for those who may get a block when viewing the link above.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,602
    The next point is, once you have the scene setting and dialogue, its very easy to underestimate how hard it is to pull off these lines. If you look at RDJ, when he sits down, he crosses his legs, realises he has crossed the wrong way and changes but it all seems so casual and natural, acting without acting. Just having fun. Also, they are talking over each other which makes it seem more natural and thats tough to do. Unfortunaltey, it makes the banter between DC Bond and MP look very....acted?

Fun.....Now thats something else we need. So re casting, we need a British, younger version of RDJ?
    All I'll say is that for the next round, we could certainly use a guy who can pull it off with the natural ease of RDJ, at least imho.

I agree also that it's not an easy thing to do. Overdo it and one could end up looking like a cad. It's a matter of finesse. Throw in a bit of savoir-faire and sauve in addition to lethality and I'll be a very happy camper. Oh, and some well tailored suits wouldn't go amiss either, preferably Savile Row rather than Brioni or Tom Ford.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185

"who is she?"

This is an excellent scene and a perfect example of where you and I are coming from. Nobody should do this sort of thing better than Bond, and certainly not a superhero. This the realm where Connery and Moore were the absolute best. The irony and sexual tension is palpable. Love it.

Here is the same scene for those who may get a block when viewing the link above.

To be fair though, Bond pretty much wrote the book on this stuff, and Marvel in general and Iron Man in specific were highly influenced on it, and sometimes riffing on Bond very specifically.

Personally i am not worried about MeToo and Bond. Especially if you keep the movies more playful. What a lot of people (men) seem to miss is that Bond has many female fans, and they like him just the way he is. An alpha male who is playful and glamourous but also a bit of a dick.
    The only ones who are complaining so far are millenials (male and female) who have no connection to Bond and might have seen a couple scenes on youtube.

Bond has been sexisms free for pretty much 4 decades now. We just have to keep it that way, thats all. Also one of our strongest assests (that many people again seem to completely miss) is that the Franchise is owned by a woman, who is involved in all the scripts. Bond is not just a male fantasy.
    @00Agent Bond wrote the book (past tense) but stopped writing the book many years ago. This lightness of touch and quick wit we have not seen for a long time and as @bondjames says, nobody should be doing this better but they have been.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    @00Agent Bond wrote the book (past tense) but stopped writing the book many years ago. This lightness of touch and quick wit we have not seen for a long time and as @bondjames says, nobody should be doing this better but they have been.

Fair enough. They went the gritty route with Craig and wanted to do a character examination instead of light-hearted entertainment, but that does not mean they can't go back to it. And they definitly should after B25 as most of us seem to agree on that. You can't keep that tone running indefinitly, it gets stale pretty quickly. But of course i have no idea yet what they even plan for B25. I would not bet on it being light-hearted, but who could say that for sure
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    wow. I've never actually seen him do that face before. so he's not just limited to the pain face? bonus points for Brosnan right there. his bond films still rank in the bottom four though - I don't particularly care what order as long as Twine comes last.

eon should never ever allow a repeat - the Brosnan era is a stark reminder to all those Craig bashers of just how bad things can really get.
    wow. I've never actually seen him do that face before. so he's not just limited to the pain face? bonus points for Brosnan right there. his bond films still rank in the bottom four though - I don't particularly care what order as long as Twine comes last.

eon should never ever allow a repeat - the Brosnan era is a stark reminder to all those Craig bashers of just how bad things can really get.

I could be wrong,i probably am,but deep down my sixth sense is picking up that you don't carry a torch for PierceBond.

I could be wrong,i probably am,but deep down my sixth sense is picking up that you don't carry a torch for PierceBond.

gLElcIs.gif
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I don't know how reliable La Voz de Cadiz, but they're reporting that 'The Rhythm Section' will shoot scenes in Cadiz from 2-3 June.

No mention of a wrap date for the film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,554
    We can't let the Marvel/Disney production schedule cloud what is going on with Bond.

We have to remember that the early batch of Bond films had a lot of source material to work from. This is similar to Marvel, right now. Marvel had a number of characters to work with and the expanded universe was ready to take flight with CGI becoming more perfected.

Bond is a different thing altogether, though I agree that there has been ZERO plan in the long run, and they are going "station-to-station" with their production model. This is a mistake. Still, I would also argue that rushing into a long-term plan can be a disaster, as we have seen with WB/DC. Aside from Wonder Woman, that "Cinematic Universe" has turned into a s___show. I wouldn't want that, either.

If I am EON, I reboot Bond with the next actor and take him back to the Cold War and leave him there. Why? 1. Wonder Woman and Captain America proved that action-based period pieces do work and can have a lasting impression; a film does not need to be set in present day to make a statement about present day. 2. Bond becomes timeless when reset and placed in the period Fleming was writing about; 3. Bond gets to be Bond, and his sexual conquests of women no longer get a MeToo critique (see Don Draper); 4. No longer need to come up with new enemies; the Cold War was awash with them, and their motives were well-established; 5. I want a Bond pre-cell phone, pre-technology.
    James Bond was already timeless before the current era started. Also, he should always be on the height of his time. Coincidentally, given the current state of affairs when it comes to relationship with Russia I think we can safely say, that we have the Cold War back. No need to go back in time.
    How about a James Bond movie set during the reign of the Tudors?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    How about a James Bond movie set during the reign of the Tudors?
    I believe there was a fan fiction spoof written on the Absolutely James Bond forums set during that timeframe.