SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Five? Hmmm...
    GF, OHMSS, TLD, CR, QOS.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Five? Hmmm...
    GF, OHMSS, TLD, CR, QOS.

My only problem with that is that, if we are limiting it to five, CR and QOS become rather redundant so far as a sampler goes. I'd replace QOS with a Terence Young film or GE.

Yeah, I know... but QOS has one of the best endings to a Bond film ever IMHO, and it's a fitting end to the Vesper affair.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    bondsum wrote: »
    I don't need 8. I'll just go with DN, FRWL, GF, OHMSS and CR. If they don't don't like any of those 5 then they won't be interested in seeing any more.

The ultimate five, they capture the essence of everything Bond is and should be.
  • The Fatal Five: FRWL, GF, TSWLM, GE, CR. Had to make some hard choice here. OHMSS is too unlike the rest of the series in the tearful ending. I'd LIKE to be able to include a Dalton offering...but hard choices require killing your darlings.

(Yes, I know: the real Fatal Five are Tharok, Mano, Validus, the Emerald Empress and the Persuader. But that's a different fictional universe...)
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,691
    And if the perspective new fan is one of those who loves only the dark & gritty-?
    DN, OHMSS, LTK, CR, SF.
  • Or if our new fan is a camp fan: DAF, TMWTGG, OP, NSNA, and CR '66.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I say no limit on the #; everybody's choices are just that, their own.

As for that pennywhistle effect ... no, just no. Even John Barry is on record as regretting it For me, it definitely takes away from the moment; too damn silly for a truly authentic, magnificent stunt.
    I almost added Octopussy. Almost, @Benny. ;) I could still add that one without regret, I think, as a recommendation to a new Bond fan. It has a great PTS, too.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 12,459
    @chrisisall and @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, good point. Consider the person you are giving these recommendations, too, of course. A 13 yr old would most likely have a different take on the world and set of interests, experiences than say, a 35 year old. (I would hope so, anyway!)

More realistic, and dark and gritty? I'd go with FRWL, CR, QOS, SF, LTK, and possibly Dr. No.

Fan of fun, outlandish tendencies & camp? YOLT, LALD, TMWTGG lead the way, head into MR, OP and careening fullstop at DAD.
    What if the person is young, like 18 -20, is socially conscious (hates misogyny, abuse of power and racism), is neither into silly or extremely dark movies, and tells you they only have time for ONE movie to decide if they will ever watch another? HA! THIS is a challenge!

Thinking...

All I can come up with is TND...
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    That would need to be The Living Daylights .
  • Both of those would be good choices.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    That would need to be The Living Daylights .
    Both of those would be good choices.

TLD = smoking. Not cool today.
  • Oh it's okay kids, he's just vaping...
    I would tell them to find a different franchise.

Oh, good. Send them all over to Mission Impossible. My own Son (now 19) will not watch another Bond movie with me (he has watched DN & TLD & TND & SP with me in times past, and only rated DN & SP as 'pretty good'), but he likes the MI movies....

Oh, good. Send them all over to Mission Impossible. My own Son (now 19) will not watch another Bond movie with me (he has watched DN & TLD & TND & SP with me in times past, and only rated DN & SP as 'pretty good'), but he likes the MI movies....

Brave new world.
    What if the person is young, like 18 -20, is socially conscious (hates misogyny, abuse of power and racism), is neither into silly or extremely dark movies, and tells you they only have time for ONE movie to decide if they will ever watch another? HA! THIS is a challenge!

Thinking...

All I can come up with is TND...

Well, is CR extremely dark? It's realistic, gritty, violent, but, but ... oh I'd still recommend it.

So yeah, that's tough. TND, TLD (like ;Mrcoggins said) and maybe CR.

(P.S. I gave up on anything with Cruise in it years ago. Cannot even enjoy the MI films any more. NOT wanting to start chat on Cruise on this thread, though. Just my two cents on that and now I'll shut up about him.)

If I can get my Son to watch CR & QOS, I *KNOW* he'd like them... I'll work on it.

Peking Duck and Russian Caviar - I love them both.

DN, FRWL, GF, GE, LTK
    Good calls.

Yes, that makes sense to me, @Birdleson. Starting with DN and FRWL gives the proper beginning, it just does. GE also another wonderful fresh, yet so very Bond, beginning. LTK I'd do without, yet it leads to the darker/gritter, more realistic Craig films (for the most part). Let us know how he enjoys the Bond journey as you've mapped it for him.
    TSWLM is one of my favorite Bond films. I think if someone can be open minded to Bond having fun - which is easier if he or she has not yet seen any of Craig's films (more realism, etc.) - TSWLM is a great intro to Bond. It has everything along the line of key elements and is so well written and acted. Roger is prime Bond in this.

And what about recommending the novels? I think it depends of course upon if the person, no matter what age (well older than 12, I guess, is best) likes spy/intrigue/adventure stories in a more serious, Cold War vein. They are so different from the films that I think that personally I would recommend the films first - the main core of films, to get those samples done, absorbed, and hopefully enjoyed - then recommend a novel, if this this newcomer likes to read. Especially if they ask about the novels. But I would hesitate to have them reading Fleming for the first time while watching the films. What do you all think?
  • Some of the novels -- FRWL, DN, OHMSS -- work just fine alongside the movies. GF in particular is very interesting in how the movie is both similar to and dissimilar from the novel. But others -- DAF, Moonraker, etc.-- are far too different from one form to the other and would probably only confuse our theoretical newbie.
    Well, I read all the novels as a teen (I do need to revisit them), and it was noticeably kinda crazy the difference to the films. I saw DAF as my first film and picked up LALD first, then Dr. No. I loved the novels, but it all felt schizoid for me, with DAF then LALD film being my first Bond films in the theatre (or anywhere) while reading Fleming. But I was always a bookworm and it didn't really bother me. I don't know if somebody new to Bond would be able to slip back and forth with the films and novels as easily as I did.

What's nice is that now people can start anywhere, anytime for films or novels. For me, I was watching Sean play with Jill St. John, then Roger stepping on crocodiles ... while reading Fleming and NO other films to go by. I had not seen the older ones on TV yet (I did later in the 70's). That was my life - waiting on the next Bond film, with no background to judge the earlier ones. That's all I had for several years. Now, it's a piece of cake to become familiar with the series in any order one chooses.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    So, in line with what we're talking about. As I mentioned, a student of mine (Senior, 17 years old) wanted to get into Bond, so I lent him one of my BluRay boxed sets. Irritatingly, he went directly to the Craig films, and enjoyed them (for the most part). Next he and his friend watched OP, which they enjoyed, but his response to me was, "It was weird...it didn't feel like a Bond film." I explained to him that it certainly did feel like a Bond film of the time, and he better get used to these seismic shifts in tone. So here's what he and I came up with for the next phase of his journey:

DN, FRWL, GF, GE, LTK, one of the Gilberts (probably TSWLM). After that we will reassess and decide how to move forward.

Why would you not start at the beginning? I would imagine he'll find the pace and tone of the older ones very odd now. Should have just lent him one at a time in order!
    TB was my first. No regrets.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Well, why not go in order? I guess I wouldn't simply because of the variety, maybe. I'd want a newcomer to sort of get a feel for the different Bonds/eras, because then they can see which appeals to them the most and they can dive into it. Having someone watch all in a row makes sense, but I think you may have some (hopefully very few!) lose interest or consider it just too long a task to take on before getting to Craig. For sure, I'd just know the person as best I could and can recommend from there. Out of my personal friends, I do not think any of them would want to start at the beginning and only stick with that. But some people might, and I see the sense in it, @FoxRox. I don't think it would work for most newcomers, though.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Guess it just must be my OCD. Got to have everything in order!
    Thanks to all who contributed here. It's good to get your thoughts on what Bond films to recommend to someone starting from scratch with Bond. I have to really push myself to remember when there was a time when James Bond was not in my life. Bond has been part of my life since I was a young teen - as an Original, you can tell that means decades ago. ;)

At this time, I'm open to suggestions for the next few topics to discuss on this thread.

One I just thought of now, is simply based on my observations on this forum: We really care about James Bond, this character, that is such a part of our lives. Bond has given us joy and excitement and we live with much anticipation for each new Bond film.

So my thought is, let's discuss that - Why we care about James Bond

* What is it about this character, these stories?
    * What makes this film series/books matter to us more than others?
    * AND has that changed over the years? Hmmm.

We could do it as giving our top 5 reasons why we care - or just write a paragraph or two.

So, while we also put our head together as to the next upcoming topics you would enjoy, let's do this as the current topic: Why Do We Care About James Bond?

I'll get some more tea and get back with you. I'll try for my top 5 reasons, but don't feel limited in how you reply. Cheers! (missing having emoticons...)
    edited May 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Why we (I) care?
    He represents juxtapositions rarely seen in real life. He lives a very good life style, but he personally makes only decent government money. He's not a health nut, but he can physically rise to any urgent occasion (cue jokes). He's cold and isolated, yet he cares and can be genuinely loving. He can be good, and he can be bad.
    In short, he is a character that, from book to book or movie to movie, is not easily characterized. In gaming, I guess he'd be chaotic neutral or something. There's a lot you can do with Bond you absolutely cannot do with Ethan Hunt or Superman... or even Batman for that matter.