SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• Great topics, @0Brady! Your first suggestion may be the one that fields the most interesting responses and when I have some time I'll try to address that one at length. For now, I'll tackle the last two: I do wish the Moore era had a more serious tone to it. Roger's tenure coincides with my lowest point of interest in the Bond films. While I recognize now that the humorous tone was the best way for Roger to approach the character, at the time I found MR and TMWTGG pretty much cringe-inducing. TSWLM hit the perfect note for me between adventure and humor -- I realized that the Moore approach was taking the character in a direction than that was appropriate for the times and I was finally ready to groove with that direction -- then MR came along & took the series much too far into the humorous direction that I felt inapproriate for Bond. Some fans don't care at all for FYEO -- after MR, I was very happy with the more serious tone of this film and quite enjoyed it!

As for your final suggestion: I once had a friend ask to borrow a copy of Goldfinger. She was just in a mood to watch that particular movie. I lent her both GF and FRWL, explaining that many Bond fans found Russia to be a better film. Naturally, I went into a detailed explanation of WHY I personally agreed with that assessment. When she returned the films a week or so later, my friend explained that she could understand the value judgment -- but that she had simply enjoyed Goldfinger more. That was the one she wanted to see and that was the one she liked the best!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, great responses. As you know by now, I agree wholeheartedly on the Moore era and the limits it pushed in how a Bond film should tonally feel.

As for your lady friend, did she have any strong responses for why she loved Goldfinger so much? She had to mention Sean, surely, as I find that to be his greatest performance as Bond when it comes to playing a lascivious sex panther. I would very much be interested to get the casual female perspective of him in that film, as I find him to be undeniably magnetic in that, the true alpha male. I just worry that in discussions with them-despite my heterosexuality-I would sound more attracted to him than they would be!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My Son just mentioned Televangelists from the 90's... perfect time to lay LTK on him! ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bless his heart. :smiley:
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bless his heart. :smiley:

;)
  • @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, great responses. As you know by now, I agree wholeheartedly on the Moore era and the limits it pushed in how a Bond film should tonally feel.

As for your lady friend, did she have any strong responses for why she loved Goldfinger so much? She had to mention Sean, surely, as I find that to be his greatest performance as Bond when it comes to playing a lascivious sex panther. I would very much be interested to get the casual female perspective of him in that film, as I find him to be undeniably magnetic in that, the true alpha male. I just worry that in discussions with them-despite my heterosexuality-I would sound more attracted to him than they would be!

Thanks for the kind words, @0Brady. You do make one obvious assumption, however, that being: Sean’s animal magnetism being the factor that attracts my friend’s attention. You seem not to remember that I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. This meaning: it could be Pussy Galore and her Flying Circus that is the main factor influencing my friend’s preference for Goldfinger! I can’t really speak to that point. I can, however, attest that when she is watching an episode of the Avengers (British TV series, not Marvel movie series) it is Mrs. Emma Peel that is the focus of my friend’s attention, and not Mr. John Steed.

Still, if my memory of her stated opinion from over a decade ago can be given any credence at all, my friend’s preference for GF over FRWL had to do with the weight of iconic moments in Goldfinger. The golden girl, the Aston Martin, the laser pointed at 007’s crotch, Oddjob and his flying bowler, etc. etc. etc. I think many of this series’ younger fans tend to underestimate the tremendous impact that Goldfinger and Thunderball had on ‘60s culture. DN and FRWL were interesting movies and a nice set-up for an ongoing series of films. GF and TB were absolute unparalleled landmarks for western storytelling. These films were a box office bonanza and cultural touchstones that went unmatched until the Star Wars films of a decade later. U.N.C.L.E., Mission Impossible and the like simply would not have existed without Goldfinger. It’s hard to understand the impact of these two films if you didn’t live through their releases. The “Goldfinger Phenomenon” and “Thunderball Phenomeon” featurettes (narrated by Patrick Macnee and included with some DVD releases of the films – also available for viewing on YouTube) give some indication of the impact these films had on society at the time – but if anything, they underestimate the case.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I always enjoy - and I think it's important - people telling their own personal Bond stories, how they discovered Bond, etc. So thanks to everyone who brings that here, and I hope we hear more from others, too.

Brady, you have several topic questions. Let me go with this, for today:

What Bond girl did you think you were most like in younger days when it comes to overall temperament, attitude and outlook on life, and which do you think you're most like now? - my answer is Honey Rider (book even more than the film, of course) and a combination of Honey/Melina/Natalya for since I've been securely lodged in the "adult" category. If I had to say which of those 3 seems to be more "me" than the other 2, well let's go with Natalya. For today, anyway. As a child, teens, and in my 20's more like Honey, though. Definitely. Nature Tomboy is what I was (though my reading material certainly differed from Honey's). And also I suppose I'm rather summed up as "... wild, you know a rocknroll child ..." ;) So there's that. Yes, to all of that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2017 Posts: 12,459
    OK, Brady, I can also answer my truly biggest "what if" moment - and it is OHMSS. Just take Lazenby out of it and I'm a happy Bond fan (if I could, I change a little about the plot, but not much at all). What if ... (insert name of plenty of other candidates), and I think Sean OR Roger in that would have been splendid.

All the other things I speculate about, and there are some, don't compare to that one. That's the big change I would have made, for sure.
    OK, Brady, I can also answer my truly biggest "what if" moment - and it is OHMSS. Just take Lazenby out of it and I'm a happy Bond fan (if I could, I change a little about the plot, but not much at all). What if ... (insert name of plenty of other candidates), and I think Sean OR Roger in that would have been splendid.

All the other things I speculate about, and there are some, don't compare to that one. That's the big change I would have made, for sure.

I thin Dan would have been perfect for that,personally,and he has the emotional range to carry it off.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2017 Posts: 45,489
    It would have been a good debut movie for him, a few years earlier.
    Yes,considerably.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    May I take the liberty of reposting @OBrady's questons perhaps? They are very interesting and I hope more Veterans will reply to (one of these) questions.

As a casual observer, these are some interesting topics I'd like to hear veteran fans discuss, since they were there from around the beginning:

*Knowing what you know now about the trajectory of the James Bond film series, what wise words of advice would you pass on to your younger selves around the 60s? Tell them to prepare for Sean's exit, Roger's long stay, George and Tim's abrupt or early ends (?), etc.

*What change/s in opinion have you had about the James Bond films or books as adults that you never would've thought you'd have at the start?

*As kids and growing teens, did you believe that even past middle age you would still have Bond as such a heavy presence in your lives? Or was it already clear that it would go beyond a passing fad of interest for you?

*For the boys: What Bond did you think you were most like in younger days when it comes to overall temperament, attitude and outlook on life, and which do you think you're most like now?

*For the lady: What Bond girl did you think you were most like in younger days when it comes to overall temperament, attitude and outlook on life, and which do you think you're most like now?

*What is your biggest what-if moment of the James Bond series? Sean in OHMSS? Lazenby in the 70s? An early 80s start for Dalton? Wish an era had a different tone than it ended up having? Or, anything in between.

*Have you had a lot of people in your life past or present who loved Bond similarly to you, or have you sometimes or always stuck out as the overly-obsessed guy or gal that couldn't kick the addiction? I ask this because I'm the latter, and people are probably terrified by my excitable and downright jumped up reactions when they so much as tell me they thought one Bond film was "good." Am I the only one that goes on long-winded history lessons on the Bond films when I find out someone I know has even a mild like of the films, subjecting them to a bunch of trivia and in-depth analysis they didn't ask for?

I'll hold all further inquiries for now to see if the vets here think these questions are worthy of them answering in some way, shape or form. I would be very interested to hear the responses.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Not a very talkative crowd, now are you Originals? ;-)

When you are this old you'll want to spend your time sleeping too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@CommanderRoss, I guess with 4Ever away from the forum, this thread hasn't really found its footing.
  • vzok wrote: »

Hey, I resemble that remark!
    vzok wrote: »

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Resemble, or resent?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Both in my case .
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3,564
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Both in my case .

Exactly. I like the way it went in HBO's "The Larry Sanders Show": Larry (played by Gary Shandling) invites Artie (Rip Torn) to a party on Saturday night, telling him to "Be there or be square"; Artie responds with gusto, "I can do BOTH!"
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I had wonderful 10 days with @4EverBonded in London.
    Met other people too.

This thread really should be cared about. I will have a word with some Originals ha!

Met other people too.

This thread really should be cared about. I will have a word with some Originals ha!

@BondJasonBond006, I completely forgot that the September trip was already here. How time flies. Hope you all had a blast!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Met other people too.

@BondJasonBond006, I completely forgot that the September trip was already here. How time flies. Hope you all had a blast!

It was just perfect. The kindness and friendship I was allowed to experience from various people have mended my heart quite a bit. I don't take it for granted. This was such a special time with special people and I will never forget it and needless to say, 4EverBonded is the best friend I ever had or will have outside my army circle.
    When someone can love me the way I am and can put up with me then it's special. I feel blessed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is indeed special.
    Sounds very good @BondJasonBond006 ! I take it we'll see some pictures in the near future ;-)
  • It's hard thinking of a topic for discussion in this particular thread that isn't already covered elsewhere on the forum. Suggestions would certainly be appreciated!

I'd be interested in hearing of any significant changes in opinions over the years from other members out there. For instance, I was not at all of fan of Roger Moore's rendition of Bond when he first took over the role. Moore's Bond was charming, cultured and so forth -- but I could never really believe that he was a dangerous fellow with a license to kill. I was VERY pleased when Dalton took over the role with TLD -- at last, after more than a decade, here was Bond that I could believe in the action sequences! But as the years have gone by, I have realized that Moore was the best possible Bond for his time period -- a fairly silly time when people were trying their best to forget the dangers and tribulations of the post-Vietnam era. For those of us who qualify as "originals" it seems fairly obvious that Sir Sean was of course the definitive Bond -- but he couldn't remain in the role forever. Others had to pick up the Walther as time went on, and each of them has had their share of both fans and detractors.

Are there any other significant changes of opinion over the years that folks would like to discuss? Any Brosnan bashers that have become boosters? Any variation in your opinion of Craig from one film to the next? Or is there already a thread for these sorts of topics? As I say, other suggestions are welcome!
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, there's still some of the questions I posed or asked the other originals at the top of the page, that I'll bump now:
    As a casual observer, these are some interesting topics I'd like to hear veteran fans discuss, since they were there from around the beginning:

*Knowing what you know now about the trajectory of the James Bond film series, what wise words of advice would you pass on to your younger selves around the 60s? Tell them to prepare for Sean's exit, Roger's long stay, George and Tim's abrupt or early ends (?), etc.

*What change/s in opinion have you had about the James Bond films or books as adults that you never would've thought you'd have at the start?

*As kids and growing teens, did you believe that even past middle age you would still have Bond as such a heavy presence in your lives? Or was it already clear that it would go beyond a passing fad of interest for you?

*For the boys: What Bond did you think you were most like in younger days when it comes to overall temperament, attitude and outlook on life, and which do you think you're most like now?

*For the lady: What Bond girl did you think you were most like in younger days when it comes to overall temperament, attitude and outlook on life, and which do you think you're most like now?

*What is your biggest what-if moment of the James Bond series? Sean in OHMSS? Lazenby in the 70s? An early 80s start for Dalton? Wish an era had a different tone than it ended up having? Or, anything in between.

*Have you had a lot of people in your life past or present who loved Bond similarly to you, or have you sometimes or always stuck out as the overly-obsessed guy or gal that couldn't kick the addiction? I ask this because I'm the latter, and people are probably terrified by my excitable and downright jumped up reactions when they so much as tell me they thought one Bond film was "good." Am I the only one that goes on long-winded history lessons on the Bond films when I find out someone I know has even a mild like of the films, subjecting them to a bunch of trivia and in-depth analysis they didn't ask for?

I'll hold all further inquiries for now to see if the vets here think these questions are worthy of them answering in some way, shape or form. I would be very interested to hear the responses.

Perhaps those that haven't answered the questions, or variations of other questions related to them, would be interested in responding?
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs Well my perception of the different actors and the way they gave Bond shape sure has differred over the years. When I was a kid, Connery was the only real Bond, Moore was fun, but Dalton just wasn't Bond at all. I remember beeing dissapointed LTK came on television in the Bond month. A good evening watching Bond lost!
    And, obviously, Brosnan was sort of the saviour of the frenchise. A very enjoyable Bond, fit for the nineties and, as we were all living at the end of history, true escapist fun where it was only deranged multi-millionaires who could do evil.

When I was a student I started collecting the Bond DVD's, and more and more I started to enjoy Daqltn's take. Especially after I discovered the books. (funny thing, I once gave a translated version of FRWL to my brother on his birthday, I was probably 15 or 16).

Dalton still isn't my favorite, but I do appreciate his trying to bring Bond back to Fleming.

At the same time, with the advance of the Craig era, Brosnan's tenure feels rather dated. We didn't end up in a very peaceful world after the collapse of the Iron Curtain, but instead found ourselves in a far more distorted world where good and bad were no points on a map anymore. I still like him, especially in GE, but it's still a long fall from 'saviour' to 'not that bad actually'.

And Craig? Well, I still think he's at least one of the best actors that've played Bond, perhaps even THE best. Above that his return to Fleming and especially capturing the atmosphere of Fleming in CR and QoS made his tenure worthwhile. The latter two films I think have been a bit off, especially the latest. But let's see what happens in the next one. Perhaps we can only truly judge his effect in 20 years.

All in all I've gotten to like all interpretations. Just not yet every film that much. I will say this though: I think Moore grew from just the Bond-actor to an icon for me, as a human as well as an actor. More then any of the others.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    In one of the Bond podcasts recently (I suspect JBR) they mentioned how crazy it must have been to be a hardcore Bond fan between 1969 and 1973 when in the space of four years you had three films with three different Bond actors. I'm old enough to remember the 'battle of the bonds' in '83 but that Lazenby/Connery/Moore run within less time than it took between QoS and SF must have been something else. So any originals remember that time? I'd be curious to hear your memories about that period.
    bumping this in the hopes more originals will add to this. A very interesting question indeed!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Has this thread died a death?