SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

Brady I think only baby boomers are allowed to comment here.
  • As usual, IGGY, you are mistaken.
    Escapism is by its very nature irrelevant to the real world.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    IGUANNA wrote: »

Escapism is what we here in the real world use to get out of it for a while. It's more relevant than anything going these days.
  • IGUANNA wrote: »

Escapism is what we here in the real world use to get out of it for a while. It's more relevant than anything going these days.

Exactly. Escapism is a reaction to the disappointments of the real world. Hardly irrelevant. Iggy, please do a little research on the effect Bond had on society in the '60s (particularly during JFK's tenure) and you'll find that Bond was quite relevant to the real world at that time. All ages are welcome to comment in this thread but we do have a prejudice for people who know what they're talking about.
    Yes, but escapism isn't there to remind us of the real world. I think we're using different definitions of relevant. My mistake! Certainly the best Bond films have an air of realness to them.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thanks, @chrisisall. @IGGY, you speak like someone who wasn't even ALIVE during the '60s
    I don't know about IGGY, but I spent nine of my years in that era.
    :D
    Bond will always be relevant IMHO, as long as their are middle aged men who are standing in the supermarket queue dreaming of driving an Aston Martin, fixing a dripping tap dreaming of sipping cocktails in Monte Carlo or stuck in traffic on the school run dreaming of making love to a fantastic girl, 15 years younger than them.
    Its not rocket science.
    I was dead in the 60's.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    patb wrote: »
    Bond will always be relevant IMHO, as long as their are middle aged men who are standing in the supermarket queue dreaming of driving an Aston Martin, fixing a dripping tap dreaming of sipping cocktails in Monte Carlo or stuck in traffic on the school run dreaming of making love to a fantastic girl, 15 years younger than them.
    Its not rocket science.

It helps that Bond's creator was imagined by a man who experienced the ultimate mid-life crisis. Even still, Fleming had an exciting life for all its pains and pleasures before Bond, so he's luckier than most who never even get that far.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    I was dead in the 60's.
    Enough said I think.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Well, THAT was a quirky bit of thread derailment. Let's Live For Today...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thanks for all the great comments on this topic. And anyone wishing to add their thoughts as to why Bond is (or isn't) still relevant, please do. B-)

But now we are moving to the next topic, which is:
    If you could choose to actually LIVE in one (choose only one) Bond film, which would it be and why? (I'll shorten it for the thread title)

So what do I mean by "live in" - you could read that as becoming one of the fictional characters in the film OR living thru the experience of being part of the crew and making this film.

Is escapism needed right now? I would say (especially for Americans), oh YES! Yes, please. Those magical moments that happen in real life - say, the Cubs becoming World Champions after 108 years (!!) - restore our spirit, give us faith in humanity, allow us to breath fully again. All that jazz. ;) And a great Bond film is a help for me, I can tell you that.

My choice today (I have about 3 that are very tempting for me right now) is:

The Spy Who Loved Me

* Give me that PTS for the millioneth time, and thank you!
    * Give me that theme song! (though not Barry; which is the only thing that could be said to perhaps be missing in the film, I have always loved that song)
    * Give me that rollicking adventure that moves seamlessly along!
    * Give me those sparkling locations so beautifully filmed!
    * Give me that Derek Meddings magic!
    * And for sure, give me Roger Moore in his prime!

I can spend my time with this film and wish 100% of the time I was making it. Or that I was Anya. Mostly I think I'd want to be part of the crew on set/location. This is one of the films where I think it was a pretty grand time had by all. And what a sublime Bond film it is! A great antidote, a slice of pure Bondian adventure with class & fun. This will always be one I want to "live in."

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd want to live in Dr. No. Jamaica is just so beautiful and luscious. That's the place i'd enjoy living in the most and Bond film I wouldn't mind living in either.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CR67 if I had to. The rest is hell, one way or another.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Oh CR67! What a psychedelic trip that would be. Now that's escapism! ;) thanks, @Thunderfinger. Interesting choice.

Dr. No has a great feeling to it, too. Lovely locations; it is usually tied as my favorite novel (along with FRWL). You forgot to mention Ursula in particular, @Murdock. ;)
    Oh why not, here's an old trailer ~ :D
    Oh, just found this by accident. Back to TSWLM, here is Caroline (you guys like Naomi, right). ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moonraker.
    I want to live and experience Moonraker.
    Visit California, then Venice, Rio, Brazilian jungle and ... space. :)
    Nice choice, @DarthDimi! Those locations quite fab and space ... the last frontier? Oh let's make it there with Bond. :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Another option, I must say, is CR67. Now now, hear me out first. I have good reasons:

1) Many astonishingly beautiful girls who'd do everything for Sir James.
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)

I guess I can stop after 1. :)
    That's all you need, Dimi. :>
    I will give my 2nd choice tomorrow. Maybe. Trying to go with one choice is difficult! My reasons are rather different than yours, though, Dimi. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2016 Posts: 5,986
    Double post, sorry.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    France, a spa, the Bahamas, beaches and underwater...living inside TB would be pretty sweet. Another good one would be FYEO.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'd want to live in TND. To end up with Wai Lin.
    'Nuff said.
    Serving up a shot from Moonraker for you:

I LOVE Tomorrow Never Dies. That would be cool. Except, you know, Paris's death.
  • Lots of great choices here! CR67 for the music (and that wild finale!)...DN for the beaches...GF for the clothes and the car...TMWTGG for those crazy mushroom islands...TSWLM for Naomi (and mostly just to tease @4Ever about the choice B-) ...oh forget it, there's just too many great possibilities! I'll have to come back to this question after giving it some not-so-serious thought...
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,026
    No better place to be

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I kind of already lived in part of the GoldenEye PTS.

Jason Bond in action: go-pro cameras didn't exist then by the way :P

Me living the Bond live:
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8saG46EbEV0"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>