The NHL Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well there it is. So close to taking it to overtime at least and yet another last minute goal. What a shame. Don't know what's happening at home for them, they were amazing at home throughout the season. Only seem to be hitting their stride on the road mainly. Shame. Oh well, guess we'll see if they can take it in Philly on Sunday.
    Pens win next game. Almost certain.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    agreed.
    RIP Devils.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    i hate afternoon games.

The Devils got a taste-- they're fast and talented. They will be back next year to cause some havoc.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,473
    I despise these early games, for sure. Though Westworld season two premieres tomorrow at 9, so any 7-7:30 games would've gotten in the way of that, so I'm actually glad the Pens play early then.

RIP to the Devils. It'll soon be time to see who takes the lead in this Columbus/Washington series.

EDIT: And it goes to Washington, unfortunately. Shame, Columbus was yet again playing catch-up almost the entire game, just to lose.
    Jackets looked better but again didn't have it when it counted. Not sure things will get any better on Monday.
    Too bad. I much prefer Jackets over Caps.
    Blues fan from St. Louis here. Life is very hard.
    Your team is my worst hockey enemy :(
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    Blues fan from St. Louis here. Life is very hard.

Next season - take solace in the fact you boys only missed your shot by one single, solitary point. Much easier to stomach than, say, a Sabres or Senators fan!
    @peter, your boys are hungry for more playoff hockey, it seems!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very happy with this
  • peterpeter Toronto
    First time they looked like killers
    I would just love to see them helm a comeback against the Bruins. Not many people would see that coming.
    True that. That's the last thing I'd expect from this first round.
    Damn, I'm loving this Toronto team tonight. They keep playing like this and they just might pull off an upset.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They had me wearing diapers by the third!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    this is the problem with this team, they're sooo young, barely any play off experience, and when they go up 4-1, 4-2, they don't get that a savvy play-off team like Boston is going to find a way to comeback (especially when they're up 3-1 on the series).

So, teachable moment: especially in the playoffs, never take your foot off the throat, no matter if you're up 4-1 or 8-1.

Look at the Pens first game vs Philly-- they coulda stopped scoring, but they weren't going to let anything to chance!!

BTW: 3 p.m. start today for Pens.

For the Leafs, they hafta take everything they did right: two beautiful periods, and then--

Work on closing!!!
    Agreed. I've seen a lot of fluke moments where a team is up two or three goals and the lead is killed in a matter of minutes. Just got to hold onto that lead and never let off, regardless of how confident you are in the end result.

Pens need to kill the Flyers today and be done! Don't want this thing going to a game seven.

As for the Leafs, hopefully they take their energy from last night, work on the mistakes, and play even better in Game Six.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I plan on watching the game 6 today if my children allow.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hope Sid & Co. crush Philly.

I can’t stand the team nor their fans (historically a buncha jack-asses in the City of Brotherly Love.).
    peter wrote: »
    I hope Sid & Co. crush Philly.

I can’t stand the team nor their fans (historically a buncha jack-asses in the City of Brotherly Love.).

Their fan base was solidified (for me) as totally classless when they tossed those honorary wristbands on the ice after Ed Snider passed away.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Charming...
    Charming...

Quite. One of the only times I've seen a team acquire a penalty solely because of the fans in attendance, too.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Charming...

Quite. One of the only times I've seen a team acquire a penalty solely because of the fans in attendance, too.

Happens in Florida too. If rats are thrown on the ice during a game then it's a 2 minute delay of game
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Philly is winning 75% of face offs. Dammit. Gotta win the 50/50 battles

Yeah this is not the start to the game I had hoped for. I'll take them rallying back to at least take a momentary lead, but still. I feel like Philly is playing to stay in this and win (particularly how hard they were playing in the first five or six minutes) and the Pens are getting a bit laid back in their play.

No Malkin sucks, too.

EDIT: Well, that's not the way to start the second period, either. These past two games, they've just not played well either right at the start or at the end of a period; hell, that's why they lost the last game. Couldn't hold on for an extra 70 seconds.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah this is not the start to the game I had hoped for. I'll take them rallying back to at least take a momentary lead, but still. I feel like Philly is playing to stay in this and win (particularly how hard they were playing in the first five or six minutes) and the Pens are getting a bit laid back in their play.

No Malkin sucks, too.

EDIT: Well, that's not the way to start the second period, either. These past two games, they've just not played well either right at the start or at the end of a period; hell, that's why they lost the last game. Couldn't hold on for an extra 70 seconds.

Pens don’t respect the Flyers and it is now showing. Bad passes. Poor decisions.
    No doubt. Embarrassing game so far, looking like it'll be a Game Seven (that also won't go the Pens way if they play any way like they've been playing). They need better self-control, can't count how many penalties they've taken this series just from needless retaliating.