The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So I just posted in the Last Move Watched thread, about a film I watched last night, Last Girl Standing. It is a twist on the slasher genre. Anyone else seen it?

I've heard of it, sounded like it was a nice twist on the slasher genre (if I'm thinking of the right movie, that is).

EDIT: Nevermind, just read your review. I'll have to give it a go at some point. I think I keep getting this one mixed up with The Final Girls that I've heard about. Seems the latter one is more of a comedy; can't stand horror comedies most of the time.

Yeah, Last Girl Standing is a serious horror film. t's funny how in the same year, we had 3 similar themed titles: Last Girl Standing, Final Girl and The Final Girls. The latter two being especially confusing.

Jesus, no wonder I'm getting them all mixed up then! Haven't seen any of them yet, I'm afraid. Isn't one of them supposed to be the typical "a girl stalked in the woods by a killer" kind of movie, only the twist is she's actually a badass killer or something to that effect? I remember hearing that was the plot of one of these recent ones, reminded me of the incredible, low key You're Next.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,894
    So I just posted in the Last Move Watched thread, about a film I watched last night, Last Girl Standing. It is a twist on the slasher genre. Anyone else seen it?

I've heard of it, sounded like it was a nice twist on the slasher genre (if I'm thinking of the right movie, that is).

EDIT: Nevermind, just read your review. I'll have to give it a go at some point. I think I keep getting this one mixed up with The Final Girls that I've heard about. Seems the latter one is more of a comedy; can't stand horror comedies most of the time.

Yeah, Last Girl Standing is a serious horror film. t's funny how in the same year, we had 3 similar themed titles: Last Girl Standing, Final Girl and The Final Girls. The latter two being especially confusing.

Jesus, no wonder I'm getting them all mixed up then! Haven't seen any of them yet, I'm afraid. Isn't one of them supposed to be the typical "a girl stalked in the woods by a killer" kind of movie, only the twist is she's actually a badass killer or something to that effect? I remember hearing that was the plot of one of these recent ones, reminded me of the incredible, low key You're Next.

That one is Final Girl, starring Abigail Breslin. It's about a trio of teens that take girls into the woods, and hunt them, just for fun. Their next victim is the character played by Breslin, a decision they won't live to regret.

I should re-watch You're Next. I remember liking it when I watched it. It's was great to see Barbara Crampton again too.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,456
    The first cut of Halloween will be ready in about six weeks time:

http://comicbook.com/horror/2018/03/10/halloween-sequel-finished-cut-completed/

Just seven months to go:

dzksar2be5l01.jpg
    Well this isn't horrifying or anything:

unit-70-pennywise.jpg?w=674
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is a great babysitter while you re shopping beer or at the movies.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,456
    That is a great babysitter while you re shopping beer or at the movies.

Great way to ensure no kids are walking across your lawn on Halloween night, either.

EDIT: Platinum Dunes producers give an update on the status of the Friday the 13th franchise; nothing new, doesn't sound terribly positive or optimistic:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3490087/platinum-dunes-producers-update-current-status-friday-13th-franchise/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    RE Pennywise: Can you imagine coming home nissed as a pewt, and finding that in your garden?

RE F13: I am not that surprised, I didn't think we'd hear any more from Platinum Dunes on the matter. The question is, is New Line going to do anything, or just sit on the rights? Surely they must be aware of the disappointment of several false starts on the film while Paramount had the rights again.

By the way, has anyone heard about Leprechaun? There's a new sequel to the original film on the way, due in 2019 from the SyFy channel...
    @MajorDSmythe, coming home to that would immediately require a fresh pair of pants.

I'm selfish so I can only hope New Line wants to get started on another installment ASAP, as the producers said in the article they'd immediately drop what they were doing to film it. However, I can only hope they'd take a new angle, as I know there was a good bit of fan backlash over what they had planned for this recent entry. Didn't sound too good.

As for Leprechaun, I noticed that the other day! Saw a snippet of the new actor and he seemed to be pretty solid in the role, from what I could tell. I used to give the Syfy Channel a hard time for only producing the most generic looking trash, but I've seen bits and bobs of random shows and films from them lately that aren't half bad looking.
    The shifting of focus from Elias, to Pamela to Jason certainly rubbed fans up the wrong way. I was on the fence about that. So long as it is just for that film, and Jason is front and centre with the next film, I probably would have been ok with it.

I still haven't forgiven SyFy for dropping Eurka. Though I agree on Linden Porco, the little teaser at least looks promising.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I’m going to see that Thursday. Very hyped.
    Post back with your thoughts @FoxRox. I'll gladly check it out once it hits digital/blu-ray. I'm wondering if it may be a bad one for a theatrical visit, given how key the silence is in the film, and just how loud audiences get with horror movies anymore.
    Will do. Hopefully it’s a good experience. The reviews have been tremendous so far. Horror has definitely been better in the 2010s than the 2000s.
    For sure. I still try to remain conscious about these overly praised horror movies, I've been burned too many times in the past decade with an expected masterpiece that failed to actually be scary. The trailers for this look great however.
    I wanted to share what I've been working on!

Trick or Treat Studios makes a pretty damn decent Michael Myers mask for a good price- there's just one problem: the hair is SHIT. It's pretty much 3 strips spaced out across the dome, with GIANT bald spots if you look underneath, and on top of that, it sheds if so much as the AC hits it! Terrible!

Lots of people re-hair the masks from scratch and it looks a million times better!

Here's my old mask, which was already repainted-- not to look like any one movie, but more of a mix of all of them. Unfortunately he was going bald fast. With help from some nice members on a Halloween Facebook page, I found out where to buy the mask hair and do the job myself!
    Like the paint, the hair doesn't really look like one particular movie-- I did try, but since I'm a noob it just wasn't happening, lol. So lets call this: Halloween 9 :))
    He does have a bit of a hedgehog vibe when you look at the profile....

I did sort of get into the swing of it halfway through, so I bet if I tried it again it would look better.

29791213_10101669406827511_8610177502706462310_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=efb54c1930f0429f6c1bd481f1856a43&oe=5B6F5352
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The insane EU top bureaucrat Frans Timmermans just said that islam will be a part of Europe s future. Doesn t get much more horrific than the EU around these parts. Can someone please just close down that monstrosity?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Thunderfinger, just accept it already and condition yourself voluntarily for sharia.
    As a massive fan of Jena Malone, and the film itself, this article caught my eye:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3491249/10-years-later-the-ruins/

I don't get what is unintentionally funny about the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I rather like THE RUINS.
    I only caught it once; wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but it certainly got to me; the whole idea of an unstoppable infection like that is nightmarish. I only found out in the last year or so that there was an alternate, happier ending to the film; the one I saw was incredibly bleak, albeit predictable after a while. Loved the twist with the cell phone ringing, too.
    I hoped they would take this route! Make it look like he literally had the original all these years!!

NEW HALLOWEEN FILM WILL FEATURE MICHAEL MYERS' ORIGINAL MASK

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/05/new-halloween-film-will-feature-michael-myers-original-mask

"I had 40-year-old masks that I studied and looked at how they broke down, how they wrinkled, how they did this and how they did that," Nelson said. "I also took into account the context of the film. Where is the mask now and where has it been for these 40 years? Without revealing anything, I took that into context. I had hundreds of photos and books."

This is not to say it will look anything like Rob Zombie's version, but I will bet money it will resemble something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg
    A Quiet Place (2018) is a tremendous triumph. Any horror fan is advised to see this 110%. Master. Piece. I am not exaggerating.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Master_Dahark, that's really cool! I love the idea of Michael not taking off the mask for 40 years, if that's what they go with. Or maybe he hid out and kept the thing in storage until he felt compelled to return to Haddonfield.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    A Quiet Place (2018) is a tremendous triumph. Any horror fan is advised to see this 110%. Master. Piece. I am not exaggerating.
    @FoxRox, really happy to hear that, as that's one of the few films these days I want to see. When I saw the first trailer in theaters I instantly loved how original it felt. I love Emily and John too, so I hope this is a big success for them both critically and financially.
    It’s amazing. A true classic.
    I hesitate to use "classic" to describe films that've just come out, but I think it looks massively intriguing and is one of the only original things I've seen previewed at the movies lately. Don't know if I'll see it in theaters, but I definitely will see it soon.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It’s amazing. A true classic.
    I thought it was quite good. Not fantastic, but OK. I'll be interesting to see how it compares to Bird Box with Sandra Bullock in the lead role. I read the book by Josh Malerman over 4 year's ago and thought there were many similarities between Malerman's book and Krasinski's A Quiet Place script. It's a shame really as I can now see when Bird Box eventually gets a release date, people are going to think it ripped off A Quiet Place, when the book proceeded that movie by quite a number of years. Though Bird Box is most definitely the smarter out of the two stories. Like Wyndham's classic Day of the Triffids and several subsequent works Bird Box is an apocalypse with a theme of sight, but one taken in a slightly unusual direction. The catch however is that the survivors live in a world populated with creatures the very sight of which send people into insane, suicidal rage. If you haven't read the book, you really should. I can see the release of Susanne Bier's Bird Box now getting delayed because of the striking similarities between the two, which is such a shame.
    IT: Chapter 2 will begin filming this July in Toronto:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/it-chapter-2-filming-starts-july-1201951541/
    Cool. It’s certainly a hyped movie for me since I loved the Chapter 1.