"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    No chance to see the match myself, but take it that the West Ham goals haven't been lucky ones?

On Arnautovic's second goal right before the break, Bertram threw the ball in, got it passed back to him and was easily dispossessed. He then proceeded to jog down the field while Arnautovic ran right by him and scored.
    No chance to see the match myself, but take it that the West Ham goals haven't been lucky ones?

On Arnautovic's second goal right before the break, Bertram threw the ball in, got it passed back to him and was easily dispossessed. He then proceeded to jog down the field while Arnautovic ran right by him and scored.

In their position on the table, you'd at least expect them to track back at full speed, and not jog home!
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    West Brom's loss today has effectively relegated them as well. This was an absolute must-win game and they didn't play well enough.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,294
    Meanwhile in Bayern:

West Brom's loss today has effectively relegated them as well. This was an absolute must-win game and they didn't play well enough.

How was the match though, result aside?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,378
    Ibra will be in his element over in the States, there still appears to be a gulf in quality MLS compared to Europe.
    Ibra will be in his element over in the States, there still appears to be a gulf in quality MLS compared to Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zlatan make some action films in the future.
    He's popular and has the physique, don't know about his acting though. Not that it matters :)
    Maybe that's why he joined la la land ?

Great comeback win by Liverpool with goals by Mane and Salah (winning goal) :)
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Wiz, what odds did you get for Salah ? 12-1 ?

Jobo, Barca might be unbeaten in la liga this year thanks to the late goal by Messi the magician to equalise.
    001 wrote: »

Jobo, Barca might be unbeaten in la liga this year thanks to the late goal by Messi the magician to equalise.

The team is refusing to lose even on bad nights where fatigue after the international break, injuries and a lack of motivation ahead of wednesday is evident. That is positive, although the performance was dreadful!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    We'll need to play about 80% better to stand a chance against City but cranks up the pressure on Chelsea and Spurs nicely. Anything but a Chelsea win is a good result for us I reckon.

Like how you imply that Salah's goal is somehow the more important of the two simply because he scored it second.
    Yep. Tragically only put £4 on though.
    We'll need to play about 80% better to stand a chance against City but cranks up the pressure on Chelsea and Spurs nicely. Anything but a Chelsea win is a good result for us I reckon.

Like how you imply that Salah's goal is somehow the more important of the two simply because he scored it second.
    Yep. Tragically only put £4 on though.

£4 only. Better than nothing i suppose.

After how many games in the EPL did you place the bet ? 10 ?
    His odds were probably 50-1 before the season started ???

Yes MASSIVE game against city.
    LFCTV
    https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/978696625978839041/vid/720x720/56P7IjNDvh5NmRR5.mp4
    jobo wrote: »

The team is refusing to lose even on bad nights where fatigue after the international break, injuries and a lack of motivation ahead of wednesday is evident. That is positive, although the performance was dreadful!

Lucky you have Messi the magician uninjured against Roma.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Few Beers and London Derby, my prediction is 2 - 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zlatan make some action films in the future.
    He's popular and has the physique, don't know about his acting though. Not that it matters :)
    Maybe that's why he joined la la land ?

Ibra probably will go into films, I think he will fair better than Becks
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,378
    What a goal by Eriksen what a player 1 - 1 at half time.

Just ruined the chances of a good gameweek in FPL, that strike.

Even as a Spurs hater you must admit it was something special

Even as a Spurs hater you must admit it was something special

Good goal, yes. Had that been Xhaka for example, it would have been branded a lucky effort - at least here, where every commentator seem to be a Sp*rs fan.
    Oh, for f***s sake do something Chelsea!!
    Game over Spurs have more fight, Dele Alli proving a point
    Sp*rs having eleven players on that pitch is incredible…
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,378

Some dubious tackles, I think Chelsea need a overhaul assuming the owner is interested to do so, I think it's laughable that Hazard has been compared to Messi in the past
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,294

Some dubious tackles, I think Chelsea need a overhaul assuming the owner is interested to do so, I think it's laughable that Hazard has been compared to Messi in the past

Straight red both for Vertonghen and Lamela, but Marriner will never give that.
    Chelsea looks to have ended the season already.

It feels like the Premiership is already over, I know there are teams battling to stay in the PL, though in a few weeks everything will he pretty much decided I think.

It feels like the Premiership is already over, I know there are teams battling to stay in the PL, though in a few weeks everything will he pretty much decided I think.

City with a win against United, and it's all done. Expecting a lot of rotation from the teams here on out. Teams left in the FA cup will have focus on those matches, too.
    ________
    More than just a little happy with the 3-0 victory for Arsenal today. Good to see Lacazette back from injury, and getting a goal, as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Happy enough with that. At worst 8 points clear of Chelsea now (7 actual points plus GD of +17 equals an extra point) and that's assuming they win their game in hand with only 6 to play.

Content to write off the Everton game and play the kids on Saturday if it improves our chances of getting past City in the CL.

City with a win against United, and it's all done. Expecting a lot of rotation from the teams here on out. Teams left in the FA cup will have focus on those matches, too.
    ________
    More than just a little happy with the 3-0 victory for Arsenal today. Good to see Lacazette back from injury, and getting a goal, as well.

Caught the later stages of the game, noticed Gunners were playing with two up top. Do we know whether Wenger is going or staying.
    Happy enough with that. At worst 8 points clear of Chelsea now (7 actual points plus GD of +17 equals an extra point) and that's assuming they win their game in hand with only 6 to play.

Content to write off the Everton game and play the kids on Saturday if it improves our chances of getting past City in the CL.

Top four won't change now I dont think, I can't believe I am saying this though I hope Liverpool beat City, based on the fact City have never really earned anything.

________

Caught the later stages of the game, noticed Gunners were playing with two up top. Do we know whether Wenger is going or staying.

Yep, they started with Welbeck, who was eventually taken off for Lacazette. Aubameyang has played in a two up top-solution before at Dortmund, which probably was Wenger's thinking to do, as well.

No news on wether Wenger is going or staying, which will (most likely) mean that he stays for another season. Will be VERY surprised if anything happens.

________

Yep, they started with Welbeck, who was eventually taken off for Lacazette. Aubameyang has played in a two up top-solution before at Dortmund, which probably was Wenger's thinking to do, as well.

No news on wether Wenger is going or staying, which will (most likely) mean that he stays for another season. Will be VERY surprised if anything happens.

Your team needs rebuilding though until a new manager arrives makes no sense to spend more money. Wenger is safe in that the powers that be want an efficiently run business, which for the most part Wenger has provided.

________

Your team needs rebuilding though until a new manager arrives makes no sense to spend more money. Wenger is safe in that the powers that be want an efficiently run business, which for the most part Wenger has provided.

Rebuilding will come in one shape or the other. Ramsey and Wilshere are on outgoing contracts (and are not necessarily likely to sign another), Mertesacker is retiring, and Koscielny is touch-and-go from game to game, with his injuries. Head of recruitment, Sven Mislintat, looks like getting more to say as far as transfers go. Can't see getting Aubameyang being a Wenger decision alone.

Wenger won't leave at the end of the season. They'll just let him go out his current contract. If the right candidate isn't available after next season, I can even see them letting Wenger continue beyond that - given the results are stable. Sounds crazy, I know, but looking at the current ownership of the club, change isn't likely at all.

________

Rebuilding will come in one shape or the other. Ramsey and Wilshere are on outgoing contracts (and are not necessarily likely to sign another), Mertesacker is retiring, and Koscielny is touch-and-go from game to game, with his injuries. Head of recruitment, Sven Mislintat looks like getting more to say as far as transfers go. Can't see getting Aubameyang being a Wenger decision alone.

Wenger won't leave at the end of the season. They'll just let him go out his current contract. If the right candidate isn't available after next season, I can even see them letting Wenger continue beyond that - given the results are stable. Sounds crazy, I know, but looking at the current ownership of the club, change isn't likely at all.

Consolidation sometimes works unfortunately 5 teams are ahead of Arsenal now, they will drop further if nothing changes looking at it objectively