"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Sp*rs having eleven players on that pitch is incredible…

Some dubious tackles, I think Chelsea need a overhaul assuming the owner is interested to do so, I think it's laughable that Hazard has been compared to Messi in the past

Straight red both for Vertonghen and Lamela, but Marriner will never give that.

It feels like the Premiership is already over, I know there are teams battling to stay in the PL, though in a few weeks everything will he pretty much decided I think.

City with a win against United, and it's all done. Expecting a lot of rotation from the teams here on out. Teams left in the FA cup will have focus on those matches, too.
    ________
    More than just a little happy with the 3-0 victory for Arsenal today. Good to see Lacazette back from injury, and getting a goal, as well.

Caught the later stages of the game, noticed Gunners were playing with two up top. Do we know whether Wenger is going or staying.

Yep, they started with Welbeck, who was eventually taken off for Lacazette. Aubameyang has played in a two up top-solution before at Dortmund, which probably was Wenger's thinking to do, as well.

No news on wether Wenger is going or staying, which will (most likely) mean that he stays for another season. Will be VERY surprised if anything happens.

Your team needs rebuilding though until a new manager arrives makes no sense to spend more money. Wenger is safe in that the powers that be want an efficiently run business, which for the most part Wenger has provided.

Rebuilding will come in one shape or the other. Ramsey and Wilshere are on outgoing contracts (and are not necessarily likely to sign another), Mertesacker is retiring, and Koscielny is touch-and-go from game to game, with his injuries. Head of recruitment, Sven Mislintat looks like getting more to say as far as transfers go. Can't see getting Aubameyang being a Wenger decision alone.

Wenger won't leave at the end of the season. They'll just let him go out his current contract. If the right candidate isn't available after next season, I can even see them letting Wenger continue beyond that - given the results are stable. Sounds crazy, I know, but looking at the current ownership of the club, change isn't likely at all.

Consolidation sometimes works unfortunately 5 teams are ahead of Arsenal now, they will drop further if nothing changes looking at it objectively

There's no doubt about that! However, the Kroenke's won't see it that way. They earn their money, CL or no CL. Same situation for all the clubs under the Kroenke ownership, apparently.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Some dubious tackles, I think Chelsea need a overhaul assuming the owner is interested to do so, I think it's laughable that Hazard has been compared to Messi in the past

It feels like the Premiership is already over, I know there are teams battling to stay in the PL, though in a few weeks everything will he pretty much decided I think.

City with a win against United, and it's all done. Expecting a lot of rotation from the teams here on out. Teams left in the FA cup will have focus on those matches, too.
    ________
    More than just a little happy with the 3-0 victory for Arsenal today. Good to see Lacazette back from injury, and getting a goal, as well.

Caught the later stages of the game, noticed Gunners were playing with two up top. Do we know whether Wenger is going or staying.

Yep, they started with Welbeck, who was eventually taken off for Lacazette. Aubameyang has played in a two up top-solution before at Dortmund, which probably was Wenger's thinking to do, as well.

No news on wether Wenger is going or staying, which will (most likely) mean that he stays for another season. Will be VERY surprised if anything happens.

Your team needs rebuilding though until a new manager arrives makes no sense to spend more money. Wenger is safe in that the powers that be want an efficiently run business, which for the most part Wenger has provided.

Rebuilding will come in one shape or the other. Ramsey and Wilshere are on outgoing contracts (and are not necessarily likely to sign another), Mertesacker is retiring, and Koscielny is touch-and-go from game to game, with his injuries. Head of recruitment, Sven Mislintat looks like getting more to say as far as transfers go. Can't see getting Aubameyang being a Wenger decision alone.

Wenger won't leave at the end of the season. They'll just let him go out his current contract. If the right candidate isn't available after next season, I can even see them letting Wenger continue beyond that - given the results are stable. Sounds crazy, I know, but looking at the current ownership of the club, change isn't likely at all.

Consolidation sometimes works unfortunately 5 teams are ahead of Arsenal now, they will drop further if nothing changes looking at it objectively

There's no doubt about that! However, the Kroenke's won't see it that way. They earn their money, CL or no CL. Same situation for all the clubs under the Kroenke ownership, apparently.

Merchandise before success

________

Add to that the most expensive tickets, as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

________

That's London for you, I lived close to London several years ago nothing is cheap

________

That's London for you, I lived close to London several years ago nothing is cheap

Not surprised!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Here's an idea:

Given the title is won how about West Brom offer to pay Pep's wages for the last 6 games of the season and let him have a crack?

6 wins would leave them on 38 points which might well be enough and we would finally answer the question 'Is Pep really all that when he isn't working with the best squad of players in the league?'
    Here's an idea:

Given the title is won how about West Brom offer to pay Pep's wages for the last 6 games of the season and let him have a crack?

6 wins would leave them on 38 points which might well be enough and we would finally answer the question 'Is Pep really all that when he isn't working with the best squad of players in the league?'

giphy.gif

I'd watch that!
    Here's an idea:

giphy.gif

I'd watch that!
    Might even be a way to reinvigorate the league completely. At the halfway point everyone swaps managers so top gets bottom's manager and vice versa, 2nd gets 2nd from bottom's etc.

So instead of a dull procession to the title from game 19 you'd have City under Pardew, Utd under Paul Lambert and Liverpool under Mark Hughes whilst Pep, Jose and Jurgen had to scrap it out in a dogfight at the bottom.

Reckon it would be cracking entertainment especially games 17, 18 and 19 where you'd have teams at the bottom deliberately losing so they wound up getting a top manager. Game 19 would be especially tense for those in 17th, 16th and 15th all trying to dodge ending up with Wenger for the 2nd half of the season.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,294
    Here's an idea:

giphy.gif

I'd watch that!
    Might even be a way to reinvigorate the league completely. At the halfway point everyone swaps managers so top gets bottom's manager and vice versa, 2nd gets 2nd from bottom's etc.

So instead of a dull procession to the title from game 19 you'd have City under Pardew, Utd under Paul Lambert and Liverpool under Mark Hughes whilst Pep, Jose and Jurgen had to scrap it out in a dogfight at the bottom.

Reckon it would be cracking entertainment especially games 17, 18 and 19 where you'd have teams at the bottom deliberately losing so they wound up getting a top manager. Game 19 would be especially tense for those in 17th, 16th and 15th all trying to dodge ending up with Wenger for the 2nd half of the season.

Haha, what a league PL could have been with that solution! Arsenal with Carlos Carvalhal would be refreshing. He's a quote machine!
    Here's an idea:

giphy.gif

I'd watch that!

Haha, what a league PL could have been with that solution! Arsenal with Carlos Carvalhal would be refreshing. He's a quote machine!
    Carvahal at Arsenal and they would have more than half a sniff at getting top 4. Particularly given Spurs and Chelsea would be lumbered with Hodgson and Moyes!!
    Here's an idea:

giphy.gif

I'd watch that!

Carvahal at Arsenal and they would have more than half a sniff at getting top 4. Particularly given Spurs and Chelsea would be lumbered with Hodgson and Moyes!!

That's very true! Really like Carvahal. He rarely stays at the same place long, but that shouldn't be held against him as far as future manager jobs is concerned.
    Think I would impose a rule where no one is allowed to sack a manager too. Actually a draft system of managers at the start of every season might shake things up a bit and would expose who could actually manage rather than just sign a chequebook.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 7,500
    Why not take it a step further? All players and members of the coaching staffs, are drawn and randomly placed in each different team. A new draw could happen every month. Or perhaps before every new game?
    That would almost be like Fantasy Premier League, only for real! :D
    Rosenborg with yet a horrible performance, only managing 1-1 away against Odd. Already seven points behind leading Molde after three matches. Next up: at home against Molde. A must win for Rosenborg, this.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Rosenborg with yet a horrible performance, only managing 1-1 away against Odd. Already seven points behind leading Molde after three matches. Next up: at home against Molde. A must win for Rosenborg, this.

I see Søderlund has returned. With Bendtner still there I should think the problems are not in the attacking compartment.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I see Søderlund has returned. With Bendtner still there I should think the problems are not in the attacking compartment.

Well, the problems are in the attacking department, actually (at least partly). Bendtner yet to score, and Søderlund used as a sub so far. Would be interesting to see them both start, but can't really see that happening. Mostly the problem is that they don't look as confident in their play, and the ball rarely ends up in the box, where Bendtner has his strengths. Add to that a shaky defence, and a midfield that's not at their best.

Actually quite worried about their recent performances.
    Well, the problems are in the attacking department, actually
    Would hardly have thought that comes as a revelation if you're fielding a team with Bendnter up top?

Meanwhile excellent stuff from Jurgen: http://www.goal.com/en/news/show-some-balls-klopp-reveals-inspiration-from-james-bond/1hotrq294bqsj1h7a7twe9myff
    Well, the problems are in the attacking department, actually
    Would hardly have thought that comes as a revelation if you're fielding a team with Bendnter up top?

Meanwhile excellent stuff from Jurgen: http://www.goal.com/en/news/show-some-balls-klopp-reveals-inspiration-from-james-bond/1hotrq294bqsj1h7a7twe9myff

Well, Bendtner was actually the league's top scorer last season. The problems Rosenborg face now, is not because of him. You can compare it (a little bit) to the way Arsenal couldn't set up Giroud in the box as much as you'd wanted them to. Bendtner have been a good addition to the Rosenborg squad.
    Bendtner and Søderlund is not a great partnership. Two static targetmen together would give us less mobility and lack of numbers in other areas of the field.

It would have worked great with a 4-3-4 with the two of them flanked with two wide players and a midfield three behind! Unfortunately that is not allowed... :P
    jobo wrote: »
    Bendtner and Søderlund is not a great partnership. Two static targetmen together would give us less mobility and lack of numbers in other areas of the field.

It would have worked great with a 4-3-4 with the two of them flanked with two wide players and a midfield three behind! Unfortunately that is not allowed... :P

The 4-3-4 was what I was thinking about, but, as you mentioned, that isn't allowed in Rosenborg. Changing the formula is not something that will be well received at Brakka!
    Don't know about Jamie Carragher's pundit job in England, but he's back for Viasat tonight, covering Juventus-Real Madrid.
    _______
    Ronaldo scores. F**k…
    And to think Juve are supposedly known for their defence? That was pathetic! Basically begging them to score!
    jobo wrote: »
    And to think Juve are supposedly known for their defence? That was pathetic! Basically begging them to score!

Changed to Sevilla- Bayern München. Don't want to waste my time watching a player I can't stand doing well.
    Sevilla- Bayern München delivers already! Some heavy challenges from Ribéry & Co. Will need to be careful here on out!
    ______
    Correa goes down in the box; gets a yellow for filming.
    Ronaldo demonstrating what world class really means:- delivering at the business end of a tournament.

Over to the likes of Salah and Sterling to show if they can step up.
    Ronaldo demonstrating what world class really means:- delivering at the business end of a tournament.

Over to the likes of Salah and Sterling to show if they can step up.

Already looking forward to the match tomorrow!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Don't know about Jamie Carragher's pundit job in England, but he's back for Viasat tonight, covering Juventus-Real Madrid.
    _______
    Ronaldo scores. F**k…

They should sack Carragher for spitting at a girl. No class
    What do you think ?

That's a World Classless spray :)
    3afc892b1aec1eee4d0a697c30b8c94a?width=1024

33 years old and he's still got it...
    skysports-cristiano-ronaldo_4272670.jpg?20180403211716
    So Pardew has gone,he only won 1 match during his short time at WBA...not good.