"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

The first goal was unlucky. Not the other two.
    Not unlucky, the pressure applied by Barcelona must be too much together with the wish to correct the outcome from their last meeting where they were punished with a 6-1 loss.
    To be honest AS Roma was always the weakest brother among this round.

Surprisingly I rated Man City much higher than Liverpool.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't think anyone's watching to be fair lads but it's decent of you to keep updating those of us watching the main event.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 7,653
    I don't think anyone's watching to be fair lads but it's decent of you to keep updating those of us watching the main event.

For the rest of Europe the main event is Barcelona, because they have a football God playing. ;)

And unless I want to pay a lot of money for some sport channel they only show Barcelona on the open net and I have to pay for the live game of British meeting. Is not happening anytime soon.

Well. At least three members on here are watching ;) As well as 80 thousand in the stands and millions world wide.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Well-deserved goal for Roma in my opinion.
    Dzeko E. scored the 3-1, finally a player of Roma that recognizes the correct goal.
  • RC7RC7
    No one is watching Barca-Roma, chaps. Last night it was Juve-Real. Tonight it’s Pool-City.
    Luis Suarez for 4-1
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Not for me. I’m watching CL, not PL tonight ;)
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 7,500
    I love how the chat has been completely hijacked by comments about Barca - Roma, and yet you are trying to convince yourself nobody is watching it :))

Barca have had 4 times as many shots on goal as Roma, so I guess the result is fair.
    Moreno on. I'll take 3-3.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    I love how the chat has been completely hijacked by comments about Barca - Roma, and yet you are trying to convince yourself nobody is watching it :))

Barca have had 4 times as many shots on goal as Roma, so I guess the result is fair.

Alongside Sevilla-Bayern, it’s the boring draw of the round. It’s fine, you’ll be back in the big time come the Semi’s.
    RC7 wrote: »

Alongside Sevilla-Bayern, it’s the boring draw of the round. It’s fine, you’ll be back in the big time come the Semi’s.

No game featuring Messi is ever the boring one ;)
    So basically the only match to watch in the returns are Bayern - Sevilla whose match with 2-1 advantage for the Germans might be the least sure position for the teams in the quarter finals. The rest seems to be played.
    Did you place a bet on a clean sheet, @TheWizardOfIce? If so, you deserve it!
    SaintMark wrote: »
    So basically the only match to watch in the returns are Bayern - Sevilla whose match with 2-1 advantage for the Germans might be the least sure position for the teams in the quarter finals. The rest seems to be played.

Sevilla scoring two at the Alianz without conceding? I can't see it. Then I think it is actually more likely that City somehow produces a miracle at the Etihad.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Sevilla scoring two at the Alianz without conceding? I can't see it. Then I think it is actually more likely that City somehow produces a miracle at the Etihad.

We will see what game they will show on the open net next week, I expect Manchester City - liverpool as Barcelona will not give it away I wager.
    You really need to have more in your locker than pissing the premier league and a nice line in designer jumpers when you show up on a European cup night at Anfield Pep old son.
    Yeah mate I did.

Also put some money on P&W to win an Oscar while I was there.

Do you think I'm insane? I don't think anyone could predict how good we would be and how shite they would be.

Just saw the images of the players bus of Man City, there are some Liverpudlian morons I must admit.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,294
    Yeah mate I did.

Also put some money on P&W to win an Oscar while I was there.

Do you think I'm insane? I don't think anyone could predict how good we would be and how shite they would be.

Might have placed a small bet either way, if I was to bet at all, so I just wanted to check! ;)

P&W to win an Oscar, you say? Hm…
    Great win by Liverpool over the most hated team in Britain and Europe, maybe the world? with their oil,slave labour,blood money etc funded team. PSG second most hated.

Hopefully the Egyptian King isn't too badly injured.

Nice goal and great assist pass by the King of the Kop, and sensational goal by The OX.

Another great Anfield european night to celebrate by the Greatest Club in the world........... :)

The second leg will be very interesting, but today we celebrate a glorious victory.

Wizzer, as you requested here they are:

Opta stats:

Liverpool are unbeaten at home in European competition since October 2014 (0-3 vs Real Madrid) and have extended their run without defeat to 15 European games at Anfield (W10 D5 L0).

Manchester City failed to direct a single shot on target in a game for the first time since 26th October 2016 (v Man Utd in the League Cup).

Liverpool are the top scoring side in the Champions League this season with 31 goals.
    18% of the goals Manchester City have conceded this season in all competitions have been scored by Liverpool (7/38).

Mohamed Salah has been directly involved in nine goals in his nine Champions League appearances this season (7 goals, 2 assists).

Roberto Firmino has had a hand in 11 goals in the Champions League this season (7 goals, 4 assists), a haul only Cristiano Ronaldo can better (17).

James Milner has registered seven assists in the Champions League this season, three more than any other player.

skysports-alex-oxlade-oxlade-chamberlain_4273505.jpg?20180404211753
    001 wrote: »
    Great win by Liverpool over the most hated team in Britain and Europe, maybe the world? with their oil,slave labour,blood money etc funded team. PSG second most hated.
    Speak for yourself son.

As a Liverpool fan I despise the scum far more than these Sheik's fantasy teams. They're just an Arab Chelsea and who really gives a toss about Chelsea?

Pretty sure the Barca fans on here will agree that they hate Real far more than a team who it's difficult to even have much of an opinion about.

Rather like these Arabs who come over here and drive their naff gold plated Bugattis past Harrods - money can buy you a lot of things except class.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Speak for yourself son.

As a Liverpool fan I despise the scum far more than these Sheik's fantasy teams. They're just an Arab Chelsea and who really gives a toss about Chelsea?

Pretty sure the Barca fans on here will agree that they hate Real far more than a team who it's difficult to even have much of an opinion about.

Rather like these Arabs who come over here and drive their naff gold plated Bugattis past Harrods - money can buy you a lot of things except class.

I should have said most hated Football club, not most hated team or fans which are still man u i suppose.

Pep city and psg owners should be hated by anyone who believes in human rights.
    They also funded bin laden and co. They are the New scum in town.

Are you going to buy any crappy 007 Funko Pop figurines OR start a Petition with your Salah winnings ?
    Speak for yourself son.

I should have said most hated Football club, not most hated team or fans which are still man u i suppose.

Pep city and psg owners should be hated by anyone who believes in human rights.
    They also funded bin laden and co. They are the New scum in town.

Are you going to buy any crappy 007 Funko Pop figurines OR start a Petition with your Salah winnings ?

That's the first time I've ever heard that.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Speak for yourself son.

Pep city and psg owners should be hated by everyone who believes in human rights.
    That's a fair point. Let's also lump Barca in with the grubby Arab arselicking complicity (if only to annoy @jobo) as until very recently they were more than happy to have their shirt sponsored by Qatar.

Pep a bit of joke as well with his little yellow ribbon. The Spanish government a totalitarian disgrace apparently but he's not so fussed about taking a load bunce from a regime with medieval human rights laws.

Although I just felt pity for him last night as he was exposed as having very little in his locker. Second half, even though we were knackered, they still couldn't craft a meaningful chance. It all seemed so much easier when he had Lionel to bail him out I guess? Klopp did exactly what he said he would and went for the throat and Pep had absolutely nothing to counter it. Compare that with Jose who comes to Anfield on a regular basis and nullifies us with ease. But of course parking the bus and taking a 0-0 is far beneath Pep and his 'philosophy'.
    Are you going to buy any crappy 007 Funko Pop figurines or start a Petition with your Salah winnings ?
    I wouldn't buy a 007 Funko Pop figurine even if I had as much money as one of these sheikhs.

And Salah has won anything yet. Kane back and Salah injured means the golden boot is far from won yet. Harry got two hattricks in the last two games last season so don't rule write him off yet.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,294
    Speak for yourself son.

Pep city and psg owners should be hated by everyone who believes in human rights.
    That's a fair point. Let's also lump Barca in with the grubby Arab arselicking complicity (if only to annoy @jobo) as until very recently they were more than happy to have their shirt sponsored by Qatar.

You could throw Arsenal in there as well, for that matter. Stan Kroenke's wife is heiress to the Walmart fortune, which has come to criticism for low wages, discrimination and a whole lot more (there's a Wikipedia article alone on the matter). Then there's the Russian business magnate who also have shares at Arsenal, and apparently is close to the president.

Roman Abramovich at Chelsea isn't any better. The list goes on.
    Is Salah badly injured ,anyone ?
    Speak for yourself son.

Pep a bit of joke as well with his little yellow ribbon. The Spanish government a totalitarian disgrace apparently but he's not so fussed about taking a load bunce from a regime with medieval human rights laws.

Although I just felt pity for him last night as he was exposed as having very little in his locker. Second half, even though we were knackered, they still couldn't craft a meaningful chance. It all seemed so much easier when he had Lionel to bail him out I guess? Klopp did exactly what he said he would and went for the throat and Pep had absolutely nothing to counter it. Compare that with Jose who comes to Anfield on a regular basis and nullifies us with ease. But of course parking the bus and taking a 0-0 is far beneath Pep and his 'philosophy'.
    Are you going to buy any crappy 007 Funko Pop figurines or start a Petition with your Salah winnings ?
    I wouldn't buy a 007 Funko Pop figurine even if I had as much money as one of these sheikhs.

And Salah has won anything yet. Kane back and Salah injured means the golden boot is far from won yet. Harry got two hattricks in the last two games last season so don't rule write him off yet.

"More than happy" is at best an exaggeration. That deal was despised through out the fanbase and most of the board. It was the corrupt president that pushed it on us. Quite shamefull, I agree.

But at least we have a democratic club unlike the English clubs that have completely given themselves over to shady businesses...
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,575
    "More than happy" is at best an exaggeration. That deal was despised through out the fanbase and most of the board. It was the corrupt president that pushed it on us. Quite shamefull, I agree.

But at least we have a democratic club unlike the English clubs that have completely given themselves over to shady businesses...

jobo you hate PSG don't you, especially since their owners, Qatar Sports Investments (QSi) poached Neymar from Barca ?