Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Annihilation (2018)

Probably the most intriguing science fiction film I've seen since Under The Skin

Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Sunshine, The Beach) scripted and directed this for cinema release but in GB it's showing on Netflix.

Tells the story of a strange expanding zone known as 'The Shimmer' a place that defies the laws of nature and whoever has entered has never returned.

Riveting and thought provoking with some chilling moments.

Definitely recommended.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Coriolanus (2011)
    A version of Shakespeare's tragedy set in modern times, directed and starring Ralph Fiennes, which got me interested. A good cast, too (plus, well, Gerald Butler). Violent, very, very serious, and exhausting to watch.
    This was good. I enjoyed seeing it modernized. Incidentally, Anthony Hopkins is going to play Lear in another modernized Shakespeare film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Annihilation (2018)

Probably the most intriguing science fiction film I've seen since Under The Skin

Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Sunshine, The Beach) scripted and directed this for cinema release but in GB it's showing on Netflix.

Tells the story of a strange expanding zone known as 'The Shimmer' a place that defies the laws of nature and whoever has entered has never returned.

Definitely recommended.

We just got back from this movie. Wow. Some heavy stuff was put in my face there. Not many movies have ever slammed me like that (in a good way). Can't discuss ANY details, but I have a pretty clear idea of what transpired, though I will be thinking about it for some time.

Very recommended to hard science fiction fans.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Annihilation (2018)

Definitely recommended.

We just got back from this movie. Wow. Some heavy stuff was put in my face there. Not many movies have ever slammed me like that (in a good way). Can't discuss ANY details, but I have a pretty clear idea of what transpired, though I will be thinking about it for some time.

Very recommended to hard science fiction fans.

That good, eh? I must not have caught enough trailers for it, it seemed rather tame - wasn't expecting it to be so unflinching and heavy as you lot describe it. Looking forward to checking it out now!

Shame it's available on Netflix pretty much everywhere but here in the States now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I liked ANNIHILATION but I would rank it below SUNSHINE, MONSTERS, UNDER THE SKIN and especially ARRIVAL. It's good though.
    Golgo 13 (1983)

41NPZFMCJEL._SY445_.jpg

I had "The Mafat Conspiracy" in my Nintendo collection since I was a little kid, but it wasn't until many years later I realized the character was had his own movies and comics.
    Golgo 13 is interesting compared to other similar hitman types, because he truly has no emotion.
    If Michael Myers is the pure force of evil personified, then Golgo is whatever the hitman version of that is! If you’re in his sights, you’re basically dead no matter what you do.
    He also barely talks, and on the surface this may sound like a boring character, but I think it’s kind of cool; it means you’ve got a story with a complete blank slate of a lead character, which in a weird way actually emersed me more, like one of those old ‘put yourself in the story’ books :))

Anyway, the animation is good and fun, and the music is great too- lots of themes humming in my head afterwards.

The story is also pretty clever: a rich oil tycoon stops at nothing to kill Golgo 13 after he assassinates his young adult son. But why is he focusing only on Golgo and not worrying about who hired him?

One word of warning though: this movie is insanely misogynistic. Literally every woman gets naked at some point, making me wonder if it was some animators job to just sit there drawing boobs all day! :))
    Might turn some folks off- for me, it does knock Golgo 13 down from something I’m proud to display in my collection, to guilty pleasure territory.

If you like anime, it’s definitely a classic
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,691
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I liked ANNIHILATION but I would rank it below SUNSHINE, MONSTERS, UNDER THE SKIN and especially ARRIVAL. It's good though.

The guy who wrote and directed Annihilation wrote Sunshine. Ahhh, that makes sense. I liked The Arrival and (a little older) Moon a bit better, but neither was quite as visceral for me. Natalie Portman had something to do with that though. I instantly root for her.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,689
    Just now: THE LION IN WINTER (1968). Brilliant acting (O'Toole, Kate Hepburn, Hopkins) and direction, however with a sort of "recorded theater performance" feeling. Great score by John Barry. Unless you insist on mindless action, definitely worth a viewing.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Just now: THE LION IN WINTER (1968). Brilliant acting (O'Toole, Kate Hepburn, Hopkins) and direction, however with a sort of "recorded theater performance" feeling. Great score by John Barry. Unless you insist on mindless action, definitely worth a viewing.

I watched it recently too, it does feel like a nice play and all the performances are amazing, with my personal favorite being a slightly gay Timothy Dalton.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited March 2018 Posts: 543
    Tomb Raider

An alright film with some cool action. I liked Alicia Vikander as Lara.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Birdleson wrote: »

THE FOREIGNER - What the Hell were people complaining about? I had a great time with this film. Chan was convincing and sensitive, Brosnan was excellent (as later Brosnan always is), the script was strong and Martin Campbell showed that he damned well was the right choice for BOND 25. By BOND 26 it may damned well be too late. The guy certainly knows how to visually craft an effective tale of intrigue and suspense.
    Glad to see you liked this one. What could have been a trite little revenge flick was given a boost by intelligent, restrained direction and good performances by Brosnan and Chan.

I just watched The Dark Knight on BD. Wow, I was so wrong about this movie in the past. I let the unconventional Ledger take on Joker (which I hated at the time) colour the whole film for me, and that was unfortunate. It was a blast this time around. No pun intended.
    Time to play with my newest toy now....
    A6MmQLt.jpg?1
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    I, TONYA (2017) - I don't feel as though I've seen enough of 2017 yet to put together a full top ten, but this would probably land somewhere in the second half of the list as of now. Was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. I had been expecting a straight biopic. Delighted to find it was partly comedic, and blackly to boot. A nice switch-up on a stale, typically soulless Academy-bait genre. Robbie does a great job. The skate scenes looked like SPACE JAM.
    BLADE RUNNER 2049 - I wasn't expecting much, as I usually am weary about any remake or sequel (that seems to come out of nowhere) of something that I admire (in this case being BLADE RUNNER (1982). For a little over the first half I was mildly engaged, bordering on boredom. I'm happy to say that things picked up briskly in the second half and I ended up liking the overall package far more than I had thought I would.
    Good to see you gave it a shot. I only saw the original a few times before seeing this and so never became attached to it. I ended up preferring 2049 but I also had the theater experience to go along with it. Haven't revisited it since. Like DUNKIRK it will be interesting to see how it plays on the small screen.
    I just watched The Dark Knight on BD. Wow, I was so wrong about this movie in the past. I let the unconventional Ledger take on Joker (which I hated at the time) colour the whole film for me, and that was unfortunate. It was a blast this time around. No pun intended.
    Definitely my favorite Nolan Bat flick. I was floored seeing this ten years ago then grew really sick of it quite quickly. For a time it seemed like anyone my age demanded this movie be thrown on in the background as we were hanging out. Refused to watch it for a few years thereafer and revisited it a little over a year ago. Now I'm back to seeing it with those fresh eyes. Love it, although I have from the start had a problem with the third act. It just peaks with the capture and the rescue and can't help losing some steam.
    Catching up with some films I watched on the plane traveling to and from NYC this past week.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - I wasn't expecting much, as I usually am weary about any remake or sequel (that seems to come out of nowhere) of something that I admire (in this case being BLADE RUNNER (1982). For a little over the first half I was mildly engaged, bordering on boredom. I'm happy to say that things picked up briskly in the second half and I ended up liking the overall package far more than I had thought I would.

LUCKY LOGAN - Amusing, predictable. Soderberg tried to have it both ways (mocking the rural South in one breath, and sentimentalizing them in the next) and it didn't quite work for me.

THE FOREIGNER - What the Hell were people complaining about? I had a great time with this film. Chan was convincing and sensitive, Brosnan was excellent (as later Brosnan always is), the script was strong and Martin Campbell showed that he damned well was the right choice for BOND 25. By BOND 26 it may damned well be too late. The guy certainly knows how to visually craft an effective tale of intrigue and suspense.

I was surprised how good The Foreigner was. First rate thriller with some really fierce action scenes. Campbell should have been a shoe in for Bond 25. The guy has lost none of his directing ability.
    Strog wrote: »
    I, TONYA (2017) - I don't feel as though I've seen enough of 2017 yet to put together a full top ten, but this would probably land somewhere in the second half of the list as of now. Was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. I had been expecting a straight biopic. Delighted to find it was partly comedic, and blackly to boot. A nice switch-up on a stale, typically soulless Academy-bait genre. Robbie does a great job. The skate scenes looked like SPACE JAM.
    Good to see you gave it a shot. I only saw the original a few times before seeing this and so never became attached to it. I ended up preferring 2049 but I also had the theater experience to go along with it. Haven't revisited it since. Like DUNKIRK it will be interesting to see how it plays on the small screen.
    Definitely my favorite Nolan Bat flick. I was floored seeing this ten years ago then grew really sick of it quite quickly. For a time it seemed like anyone my age demanded this movie be thrown on in the background as we were hanging out. Refused to watch it for a few years thereafer and revisited it a little over a year ago. Now I'm back to seeing it with those fresh eyes. Love it, although I have from the start had a problem with the third act. It just peaks with the capture and the rescue and can't help losing some steam.

Wasn't I, Tonya released this year @Strog ?

I have no interest in ice skating but I loved the film. Funny, riveting and ultimately rather sad.

Great performances.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm still holding out hope that Campbell could come back to Bond with 26.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Too old, mate. Too old. By then, he'd be too old.

And don't forget he's too old. :)

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    001 wrote: »
    And don't forget he's too old. :)
    Indeed. Adding to that... he's too old. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that this was very well done, especially given the measly budget. Simple but quite effective and with excellent performances from the leads. It felt like a bit of a 90's throwback in a way.
    --

Annihilation
    (2018)
    This was an interesting and unexpected film. As others have mentioned already, it gets you thinking. A bit existential and philosophical while also providing a few thrills. I've noticed a few big budget films taking the allegorical route recently, and this is certainly one of them. I have to say I preferred this to Arrival, but feel it didn't quite hit its mark. Perhaps a bit more exposition could have helped with its box office fortunes, but then I suppose that's what Netflix streaming/blu ray is for. It definitely warrants a second viewing.

7 Days In Entebbe
    (aka Entebbe) 2018
    I was looking forward to this one. I remember watching two tv films on the subject of this real life 70s aircraft hijack when I was little and enjoyed both. Unfortunately, this film was a bit of a let down despite some positive elements and good performances by the entire cast. It's somewhat docu-procedural in nature. There's little emotional consequence, and one feels as though the film would have benefited from it. I think perhaps director Jose Padilha didn't want to take sides and therefore played it down the middle. The result is a film that's a bit 'by the motions'. Having said that, it's not bad.

Gringo (2018)
    If you've seen the trailers then you've pretty much got the tone of this film. Distinctly quirky in that Pulp Fiction/Get Shorty kind of manner with perhaps a bit of Soderbergh thrown in, this is a satirical comedy with a lot of sleazy and unlikable characters doing bad things. The two paragons of virtue are - wait for it - a black man and a woman. Talk about PC. Will they overcome, despite the odds? Well this is Hollywood, so you figure it out. Entertaining enough.
    @bondjames yeah I saw Entebbe too and it was king of a Let down to be honest. That weird intercutting with the dance sequence was nonsense , the raid was kinda crap, and I thought the performances were cheap.
    It seemed like a missed opportunity @JamesBondKenya. A lot of promise but poorly realized on screen. There was no 'heart'.

Still, the cinematography was great and the film did accurately give off that 70s vibe.

I agree on the dance intercutting being a bit silly. I didn't get the point of that whatsoever. When viewing it my mind kept wandering back to Zero Dark Thirty, which did a similar 'night raid' thing at the climax but executed so much better with a wonderfully Bond'esque score by Alexandre Desplat.
    @bondjames I did love the 70’s vibe for sure and the cinematography. Also all the side characters were great, like the captain and idi Amin. Though I really didn’t like the performances of Pike and Brühl
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed again @JamesBondKenya. I actually came to the theatre for Bruhl and Pike but they were really wasted in their roles.

The side characters were all great as you note. Eddie Marsan (as Shimon Peres), Lior Ashkenazi (as Yitzhak Rabin - even though he looks nothing like him) & Nonso Anonzie (as Amin) were excellent. I found the political meanderings in the smoke filled rooms to be the best part of the film (reminded me of All The Money In The World, which was similarly 'cold' while being beautiful to look at).
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684

I have no interest in ice skating but I loved the film. Funny, riveting and ultimately rather sad.

Great performances.
    Wikipedia says it was released in December 2017. It is a bit confusing though! RT has it as 2018. IMDB also as 2017.

EDIT: Actually I see wider release listed on IMDB as January 2018. But a slew towards the end of last year, film festivals and such. I guess I can cheat and count it as either, depending on how the list shapes up. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580036/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Great performances.
    Wikipedia says it was released in December 2017. It is a bit confusing though! RT has it as 2018. IMDB also as 2017.

EDIT: Actually I see wider release listed on IMDB as January 2018. But a slew towards the end of last year, film festivals and such. I guess I can cheat and count it as either, depending on how the list shapes up. ;)

It is considered a 2017 release. I know because it was with the 2017 screeners that I received to be considered for various awards.
    Cool. I shall count it as such then. Now you mention it, I do recall reading/hearing Robbie and Janney were nominated for Oscars.
    Thief (1981)

Love this film. Every time I watch it a see something new. It defined Michael Mann as an important director and much of the themes in this are in his later works. A lone professional criminal who is looking for a way out to live a normal life. A code to leave everything behind when enemies get too close. Music, photography, dialogue are all echoed in later films.

James Caan is brilliant in this. He himself believes the diner monologue is his favourite moment in his acting career, and it is a great scene.

The robbery scenes are authentic and beautifully shot. Attention to detail is second to none.

Probably my favourite Mann film after Manhunter
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thief (1981)

Love this film. Every time I watch it a see something new. It defined Michael Mann as an important director and much of the themes in this are in his later works. A lone professional criminal who is looking for a way out to live a normal life. A code to leave everything behind when enemies get too close. Music, photography, dialogue are all echoed in later films.

James Caan is brilliant in this. He himself believes the diner monologue is his favourite moment in his acting career, and it is a great scene.

The robbery scenes are authentic and beautifully shot. Attention to detail is second to none.

Incredible movie, also one of my favorites of Mann's. Tangerine Dream blaring as Caan infiltrates the house makes for one of my favorite finales. Oozes that effortless, neo-noir cool that permeates the rest of the film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I was less than overwhelmed by THIEF seeing this for the first time a few weeks ago, but still a good movie. I'd prefer the likes of HEAT and MANHUNTER (as you do regarding the latter), and maybe even COLLATERAL and PUBLIC ENEMIES. Just sayin'.

Tonight I started to get up to date regarding Danny Boyle (for obvious reasons). I had only seen TRAINSPOTTING so far, but forgot all about it (it's been about 15 years - I'll revert to it tomorrow night), and half of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (the missing half is not the movie's fault, but it's not a promising idea to start watching a film at midnight or so after more than one bottle of red wine, and I never made up for that).

Anyway, tonight I started with SHALLOW GRAVE, Boyle' first (and quite successful) full-length feature film. And boy, it is quite a thriller, however low the budget may have been. You'll find the plot on IMDb, so I don't have to give a synopsis here. It's one of those "one or more persons stumble across a stash of illegitimate money, keep it and ultimate get devoured by it" films (say, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY...), but quite gripping, well-executed, and full of suspense. If Boyle (and his writer John Hodge, and maybe his producer Andrew Macdonald, in whatever capacity) does Bond 25 like that, I'm not afraid of it being to artsy-fartsy or psyche-centered or whatever. I just think it may turn out a pretty good thriller as well... which is all that anyone can really ask of B25.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Thief (1981)

Incredible movie, also one of my favorites of Mann's. Tangerine Dream blaring as Caan infiltrates the house makes for one of my favorite finales. Oozes that effortless, neo-noir cool that permeates the rest of the film.

I used to have the Soundtrack on vinyl. God knows what happened to it....

Great performances.

It is considered a 2017 release. I know because it was with the 2017 screeners that I received to be considered for various awards.
    Cool. I shall count it as such then. Now you mention it, I do recall reading/hearing Robbie and Janney were nominated for Oscars.

Janney even won, you know... :)