Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That's becoming more common. "The nice guys" (2016) did that, too.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @bondjames hmm yes Casablanca vibes indeed. I didn’t care much for the film I mean it was fine but it just didn’t feel like it had energy in it. Maybe it was the performances and direction even though both of those should have been top tier. Though I don’t care much for Casablanca either
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @JamesBondKenya , I get what you mean about energy. It sort of went through the motions. Perhaps that was because they didn't really delve too much into the main character's motivations or background. I think a little more time spent there might have helped things.

I thought they captured the period well though and it had a sort of romantic feel which reminded me of war films from earlier times. Not so violently bloody as many of today's output is, but rather more quaint.

Hopefully you will appreciate Casablanca more with time. I've only seen it once (last year) and thought it lived up to its esteemed reputation. Allied doesn't come close, although it's a decent film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Man Who Haunted Himself

Brilliant little British mystery thriller with what I would say Roger Moore’s best performance ever.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Brilliant little British mystery thriller with what I would say Roger Moore’s best performance ever.
    +1. Love it. Director Basil Dearden got some of the best performances out of both Connery (Woman of Straw) and Moore.

Need to see that one at some point. Watched the trailer not that long ago, and it looked interesting.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Moore is good in it, but I found the film rather boring.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Just watched Atomic Blond.
    Joe my God. My favourite female 'agent' film is still Haywire, but nothing beats Atomic Blond as a blow-away experience! Photography, twists, seamless CGI* meshing of stunt people & actors, and a killer soundtrack to boot! My Son asked me to get this for us to watch, and I owe him big time. John Wick 2 level action acid trip.
    Without a doubt, HEAVILY recommended.

*Normally I dislike extensive CGI in other than superhero films. But this was creative and detailed. I was aware of almost every moment of it because I have an eye for motion & detail, yet I never cringed. Takes were stitched together better than I was prepared to believe could be done.
    Thor Ragnarok (2017)
    8ehEcgl.jpg

Saw it twice in the theatre and loved it both times. It was just as good on the (relatively) small screen tonight. I just love the playful tone of this film and the humour and wit is spot on. Everyone seems to be letting their hair down and having a blast. The performances are just perfect across the board from the superb cast. It of course doesn't hurt when you have thespian level quality among them like Hopkins, Blanchett and Hiddleston, but everyone else is completely on point as well including Goldblum, Tessa Thompson (perfect), Ruffalo, Urban and Elba. Chris Hemsworth's comedic timing is really good and I have a new found appreciation for him. This is the MR of Marvel films for me. Feeling a bit down? Put this in the player. I promise you it'll liven up your day. Taika Waititi, my hats off to you.

Matt Damon and Sam Neill's cameos are hilarious too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thor Ragnarok (2017)
    8ehEcgl.jpg

Saw it twice in the theatre and loved it both times. It was just as good on the (relatively) small screen tonight. I just love the playful tone of this film and the humour and wit is spot on. Everyone seems to be letting their hair down and having a blast. The performances are just perfect across the board from the superb cast. It of course doesn't hurt when you have thespian level quality among them like Hopkins, Blanchett and Hiddleston, but everyone else is completely on point as well including Goldblum, Tessa Thompson (perfect), Ruffalo, Urban and Elba. Chris Hemsworth's comedic timing is really good and I have a new found appreciation for him. This is the MR of Marvel films for me. Feeling a bit down? Put this in the player. I promise you it'll liven up your day. Taika Waititi, my hats off to you.

Matt Damon and Sam Neill's cameos are hilarious too.

That's next up for me. We missed seeing it theatrically, but I bought it today, and it was almost out of stock where I went. A Ragnarok Sunday.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    That's next up for me. We missed seeing it theatrically, but I bought it today, and it was almost out of stock where I went. A Ragnarok Sunday.
    Enjoy. It's a lot of fun.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It is one of the better superhero films.

I wouldn t go that far, but it was fun for sure.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It is one of the better superhero films.
    I'll be the Judge Dredd of that. ;)
    Which Danny Boyle films would members recommend most here? Only seen 28 Days Later which was pretty decent.
    Joe my God. My favourite female 'agent' film is still Haywire, but nothing beats Atomic Blond as a blow-away experience! Photography, twists, seamless CGI* meshing of stunt people & actors, and a killer soundtrack to boot! My Son asked me to get this for us to watch, and I owe him big time. John Wick 2 level action acid trip.

*Normally I dislike extensive CGI in other than superhero films. But this was creative and detailed. I was aware of almost every moment of it because I have an eye for motion & detail, yet I never cringed. Takes were stitched together better than I was prepared to believe could be done.

Add the Cold War atmosphere to that mix, the neon lights and the amazing Stalker reference.

Love that movie to bits. Also fell in love with Charlize Theron ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Add the Cold War atmosphere to that mix, the neon lights and the amazing Stalker reference.

Charlize Theron also had a very nice chemistry with Sofia Boutella. ;)
    Definitely :)

Charlize Theron also had a very nice chemistry with Sofia Boutella. ;)
    Atomic Blonde was an excellent effort. Highly recommended. That fight scene is incredible.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Foreigner (2017)

Really enjoyed this! Very fast moving thriller with Jackie Chan showing his acting chops as well as kicking ass! Great performance from Pierce Brosnan who's character is obviously based on Gerry Adams.

Director Martin Campbell has lost none of his skill. The action is top notch and the fight scenes brutal. Could definitely manage another Bond.

Also satisfying to see the IRA portrayed as the slimy turds they really are instead of misunderstood freedom fighters.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    Cruising
    Psycho (1998)
    Trainspotting
    T2: Trainspotting

SharkBait wrote: »
    Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult
    DYSLEXIA FOR CURE FOUND
    Thor: Ragnarok.
    Oh my. This movie made me think three things:
    1) Iron Man 2 at least had RDJ in it.
    2) I need to see the first Thor movie again to clear my mind of this film.
    3) Justice League was SO much better.
    That's it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,398
    Thor: Ragnarok.
    Oh my. This movie made me think three things:
    1) Iron Man 2 at least had RDJ in it.
    2) I need to see the first Thor movie again to clear my mind of this film.
    3) Justice League was SO much better.
    That's it.

The film barring a few action moments was a bag of...

I studied Norse mythology at university, this is not how I envisaged Ragnarok
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,081
    @Tuulia, regarding Daniel Day Lewis: mindless action fare, spy flicks, light dramas and comedies are my main interest. DDL tends to make deeper films which require focus and concentration, and these are just not normally the types I gravitate towards and that's why I hadn't seen anything of his before. His reputation precedes him of course, and there was something about Phantom Thread which intrigued me (it might just have been the poster). The Oscar buzz helped too. So I thought I'd try it out and I'm glad I did. Perhaps I'll check out some of his other works now too.

If his movies aren't your cup of tea, then that almost makes sense... but how would you know if you haven't watched them? --- Just kidding, I know what you mean, there are people whose movies I automatically assume I won't like, regardless of if I've ever seen any or not (and in some cases don't remember if I ever have). He was just a surprising name for an actor whose work somebody who isn't a kid hasn't seen, that's all, also considering the length of his career, and the directors he has worked with (PTA previously too, Mann, 2x Scorsese, Ivory, 3x Sheridan, Spielberg, etc.). One would assume DDL movies would have been difficult to avoid. You probably wouldn't like them all, but some probably yes. (I don't think I like every movie in anyone's filmography - when it's longer than a couple of movies - but that never stops me from looking for those I like.)
    Regarding Call Me By Your Name: I was intrigued by it because of some positive reviews and because I had heard good things about Hammer, an actor I have perhaps been harsh on in the past. I'm glad I watched it and enjoyed it overall. My point about 'slow' is for other viewers who may read my review. I don't want to mislead them about the pacing, which is far from brisk. The film takes its time, and that's a good thing in this instance. It has an old school flavour to it as a result. I didn't mean it as a negative.

Okay. People often use it as a negative and your placing of that word suggested that, too, but good to hear you didn't mean it that way. To me that movie just flies by, and I kinda wish it took its time a bit more, but maybe it doesn't need to. And I do love it as it is. (I mean I love it to bits already and have no idea if I would love it more if it was "slower"... longer scenes, more scenes, more things in certain scenes.)
    Regarding the 'peach' scene, I just found it gratuitous & a bit odd. I'm not a prude by any means (after all, I quite enjoyed the pie shenanigans in American Pie and wasn't uncomfortable with that), so your question led me to consider what it was in particular about the scene which made me feel this way.
    Perhaps I just can't relate to the intimacy that they were trying to portray via the scene. I just see it as a guy getting it on with a fruit. One which another guy decides to eat afterwards.
    The emotional subtext of the scene (which I have since read about) was just lost on me. As mentioned, I found the father's speech towards the end far more intimate and poignant, as I did the final scene by the fireplace (quite moving) and the last conversation between Elio and Oliver. I just think that the film could have done without defiling a piece of produce and still been as satisfactorily meaningful. Perhaps more so.

I see. Even though Guadagnino initially considered leaving the peach out altogether, since he wasn't sure it would work in film (and clearly for you it didn't work, and I'm sure you're not alone), there would have been riots had he left it out altogether.
    Oliver doesn't eat the peach in the movie - just tastes a bit - but seems to be planning to eat it when Elio's reaction interrupts him. Oliver did eat it in the book, though.
    Some people were even pretty upset by the change made in the movie, since they saw it as very important and meaningful the way it was depicted in the book. I see their point, but love that scene too much to care. At least so far. I might at some later date be persuaded that it should have been like in the book and that something vital was lost since it isn't, but I don't know... The scene is very different in other aspects, too, and may be better in the movie as it is. - They did shoot a more faithful-to-the-book version of the scene, and I'd be curious to hear Guadagnino's views on the take he chose. For me the version he chose really, really works though, so I'm happy.

Btw, I don't remember anything about American Pie, except that I didn't enjoy it and didn't find it funny at all.

In terms of other scenes being uncomfortable
    I suppose it was difficult to see two men get so close to one another in this way.
    Perhaps that's the point, and the film succeeded on account of how well such intimacy was conveyed.

That's interesting, since
    there was nothing particularly graphic shown or anything.
    I mean a hell of a lot of movies with hetero couples show tons more... but usually fail with the intimacy. Too much trying, too much "seen-this-all-before", too much "more" resulting in being less. But I guess we agree that the intimacy worked in this movie - even if we ultimately felt differently about it. What it achieved - for me at least, and I know countless others - was to convey love. Which - no matter if every other movie has a love story of some kind - is actually very rare.
    Or is that what you meant all along? - I'm not sure if you meant physical or emotional intimacy.
    In terms of 'distant': I mean that I wasn't able to relate to the romance in the same way that I was in Phantom Thread for instance. While there was very little nudity or overt sexual references in the DDL film, I found I could connect with both Woodcock and Alma, and in particular the tenderness, tension, emotions, passions & love games between them. I couldn't quite do the same with Elio and Oliver. It was foreign to me in a way, as though I was observing it from afar rather than wholeheartedly absorbing and embracing it. It's difficult to explain. I'm not sure if that's on account of the direction or not. Visually Call Me By Your Name is the stronger film.

I don't want you to think I didn't like it. I thought it was very well done.

That's an interesting comparison. I liked Phantom Thread a lot, but... I can't even compare, really, the movies were so different and the relationships were so different (the Phantom Thread relationship was pretty unpleasant in many ways), but if I may steal your words I was observing it from afar rather than wholeheartedly embracing it.

I know it's difficult to explain, don't worry about that. I couldn't begin to explain why exactly CMBYN worked so perfectly for me, it just did. Obviously I could try... talk about it for days, for instance, but if the other person didn't see it the same way, they'd still be just "so?" We experience movies the way we experience them, because of who we are and what we see and feel in them.
    PS: Regarding Stealing Beauty: I saw it many years ago and found it slow and boring. Then again, I was much younger. I might enjoy it a lot more now. It's basically Liv's character coming of age in Italy if I remember correctly (I had a huge crush on her and she was the main reason I sought it out). The soundtrack is first class.

Not exactly a resounding recommendation... I may or may not watch it some day.

I watch anything myself when I want to see people's work (actors or directors usually), or because of some recommendation or connection.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,398
    Justice League Good moments, overall utter garbage.

This will probably fall into bad films I like category

Oh dear the Whedon scenes look obvious

This film is a mess no wonder it bombed

The obvious Whedon scenes are gone dam awful

Whedon destroyed this fim

A plus point is the New Gods narrative relative to Kal absence

When this film is good it's SNYDER
    What did you think of Batman V Superman? So many people called for his public execution but now look at where things are! :))
    I liked Justice League, but LOVED BvS & MoS. I want a sequel to those movies
    What did you think of Batman V Superman? So many people called for his public execution but now look at where things are! :))
    I liked Justice League, but LOVED BvS & MoS. I want a sequel to those movies

BvS is awesome
    The reshoots scenes are so bad on JL @Master_Dahark it looks like a Marvel film
    Agreed! I always looked at the Marvel and DC movies as two sides of the comic coin. Marvel was more light-hearted, while DC was no nonsense, for the 'big kids'.
    A good way to see it: Marvel brings us into the comic book world, while DC brings our heroes into our world.

Justice League, as it was released in theaters, definitely felt more like a Marvel film. I'm not against FUN, but it just disappointed me that all the awesomeness that was set up in BvS was now pretty much thrown away. (the Flash travelling through time to warn Bruce, the Knightmare scene, Superman dying isn't that big a deal anymore, etc.)

Regarding Superman, Snyder had plans to make Justice League a two parter, with Superman likely not even having so much as a cameo in the first part.

So like I said, I liked Justice League, but man, what it could have been......
    Agreed! I always looked at the Marvel and DC movies as two sides of the comic coin. Marvel was more light-hearted, while DC was no nonsense, for the 'big kids'.
    A good way to see it: Marvel brings us into the comic book world, while DC brings our heroes into our world.

Justice League, as it was released in theaters, definitely felt more like a Marvel film. I'm not against FUN, but it just disappointed me that all the awesomeness that was set up in BvS was now pretty much thrown away. (the Flash travelling through time to warn Bruce, the Knightmare scene, Superman dying isn't that big a deal anymore, etc.)

Regarding Superman, Snyder had plans to make Justice League a two parter, with Superman likely not even having so much as a cameo in the first part.

So like I said, I liked Justice League, but man, what it could have been......

Travesty, safe mediocrity has become the norm unfortunately