Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, no I don't know anything about that film. It looks interesting and I'll do some investigating later when I have more time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007). Great musical; one of Burton's finest efforts. I've been a fan for a while now.

Excellent film. Best of the year. I was really surprised by how good it was.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Blue Jasmine

Few years old but I hadn't seen it.

Now I know what I was missing.

Cate Blanchett is just amazing in this. I really painful and realistic performance. She has great support from Sally Hawkins, Bobby Cannavale and Alec Baldwin. But it's Blanchett's film.

I think Woody Allen's theme here is lies and deciet. But it's funny, disturbing and in my opinion one of his best.

It's one of his great ones, for sure. And the performance by Cate Blanchett is one of the best bits of acting that I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

For sure. Her performance just drags you into her world. I ran the full gamut of emotions with her character. I hated her, felt sorry for her and at times even rooted for her! Incredible acting. She does the brilliant script complete justice.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Wonder Woman has finally arrived on SKY Cinema yesterday,so I will check it out when I can,i recorded it.

Heard a lot of good things about it,so im looking forward to it.

Gal Gadot could have been a good Bond girl, don't you think?

Definitely....still time ;)

With her being Wonder Woman and all - possibly too famous? Unless they go for a female Bond villain (which I'm sure she could also do.)
    Didn't Gal Gadot audition for Camille, or one of the other early Craig era Bond girls?
    It was late, and I was looking for something to watch. Saw it a few years ago, and remember liking it, so I watched...

rising-sun-movie-poster-1993-1020371660.jpg

While I have never been much of a fan of Connery on the whole, this is probably my favourite film of his. Connery and Snipes, play off one another nicely. I have to admire Connery's beard. I would kill to be able to grow a fine beard like that. Alas, I have to make do with a goatee. Hairs too wispy on the cheeks, you see.

Saw it once when it came out and i found it a crap and gutless adaptation of an interesting and controversial novel written by Michael Crichton.
    Rising Sun was a very uninteresting movie.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd hate to admit it, but I agree.

Typical diluted Hollywood job on a controversial and hard hitting book.

Don't know why they bothered.
    I haven t read the book, but have no doubt it was better.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,662
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Didn't Gal Gadot audition for Camille, or one of the other early Craig era Bond girls?

Did not know that! Was she part of some auditions, or were they looking to cast her as Camille? Will add that I think Olga Kurylenko did a really good job in QoS, and couldn't really see anyone else for that part.
    Gal did audition for the role of Camille, but I am glad we got Olga.
    It was her QoS audition call which got her full time into acting.
    Interesting! She's had some nice movie credits despite losing out on QoS, though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Haven't seen it, @DaltonCraig007 .
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Baywatch no idea what tone they were aiming for with this flat film, though nothing seems to work.
    Baywatch no idea what tone they were aiming for with this flat film, though nothing seems to work.

So it s like the tv show then. No surprise.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 24,804

So it s like the tv show then. No surprise.

Not sure the people who made this watched the TV show, there is potential for alot of humour though the film makers don't see it.

Kelly Rohrbach is very distracting in a good way
  • peterpeter Toronto
    MUTE directed by Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son)...

Jones made MOON and SOURCE CODE... He's remarkably talented and it feels like he's bubbling-over to get out his stories... He just hasn't fine-tuned his execution and vision quite yet...

He needs to be more seasoned, but;

I see what he was going for with MUTE (a cyber-punk film noir); Alexander Skarsgard puts in quite a nice performance as a mute bartender/semi-following Mormonism (don't ask, just watch!)...

This is a film with a simple quest: the bartender's in search of his missing lover. And it's the quest that brings him into the belly of the beast (a future Berlin and everything these seedy streets have to offer). I was never bored, and some of the violence (both seen and implied) was quite unsettling.

It's not for everyone.

And I don't think it quite succeeded-- not for lack of effort.

I admire the passion that went into the story-telling-- according to Jones it took him 16 years to get this made. His passion to tell the story comes through loud and clear.

Is it for everyone? No.

But it is worth a view if you're interested in watching an evolving filmmaker who you can feel REALLY and PASSIONATELY needs/wants to tell this story.

(as a side note, it's getting slaughtered by critics. I don't understand this, and wonder if there's a collective backlash against Netflix-made films? That those that want the purity of cinema and film over digital and streaming, are they consciously, or subconsciously launching attacks because of their dogma?)
    Trainspotting 2 this is a great film thoroughly enjoyed it, the first film was of its time and captured a generation in some respects, this is a worthy sequel.

The George Best/007 theme scene was brilliant.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Trainspotting 2 this is a great film thoroughly enjoyed it, the first film was of its time and captured a generation in some respects, this is a worthy sequel.

I wouldn't call it great, personally, but I was surprised at how good it was. I had put off seeing (unwarranted sequel, and all) until a few months ago. Very enjoyable and a solid film.

As well as being a good film there was a great deal of nostalgia for me which elevated the film further.

I thought the meta narrative was good.
    tony-stark-gif.gif?w=318&h=412
    Murder on the Orient express Wow this has the subtlety of a sledgehammer, the characterisation of Poirot is not good, this film is a epic fail.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns well it’s good u bought it on 4k then
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns well it’s good u bought it on 4k then

Blind buy so a waste of money
    goonies

Really a good movie not amazing not aweful But a fun ride none the less

Films I have seen in 2018
    1, The Final Girls
    2. Taken
    3. Stand By Me
    4. Before Sunrise
    5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    6. Goonies
    7. Before Midnight
    8. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Taken Series

1. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. Taken

It was late, and I was looking for something to watch. Saw it a few years ago, and remember liking it, so I watched...

rising-sun-movie-poster-1993-1020371660.jpg

While I have never been much of a fan of Connery on the whole, this is probably my favourite film of his. Connery and Snipes, play off one another nicely. I have to admire Connery's beard. I would kill to be able to grow a fine beard like that. Alas, I have to make do with a goatee. Hairs too wispy on the cheeks, you see.

I thought it was a good movie but the climax and wrap up was weak
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
    OBeKTcv.jpg
    I was able to get my hands on a copy of this hugely successful (it's pulled in close to $1bn since release) Sony production. Directed by Jake Kasdan (Lawrence's son), it stars the ubiquitous Dwayne 'Rock' Johnson, Jack Black, Karen Gillian, Kevin Hart & Bobby Cannavale as characters in a jungle game. This is a sort of pseudo sequel to a 1995 film starring Robin Williams. It's not really my type of thing, but was certainly entertaining enough, with an Indiana Jones adventure concept, but directed at tweens & teens. Characters are a bit lightly developed, but that's not the focus here. Rather it's all out CGI action, spills, thrills and humour. It's light hearted family fun, but I'm still at a loss to understand why it has been so successful. Perhaps it worked as counter-programming to SW-TLJ (released at the same time, & which received a backlash and ended up being less successful than anticipated)? Not sure.

Allied (2016)
    DFZIj0y.jpg
    I'd been meaning to take in a viewing of this Robert Zemeckis directed romantic thriller (based on a script by Stephen Knight) for some time, so I'm glad I finally got round to it. It stars Brad Pitt (as Max Vatan, a Canadian officer) and Marion Cotillard (as Marianne Beausejour, a French resistance fighter) who meet during WW2 in Casablanca while jointly plotting to kill a German ambassador. They fall in love, get married and move to England. All seems well until Max is informed by his commanding officer that Marianne might not be all she seems. He spends the rest of the film trying to determine if the suspicions are warranted. This is a well made, smart and moving film with an excellent performance (as always) by Cotillard. Pitt is pretty good too as a suave Bondian type. August Diehl has a great little part as a German officer which reminded me very much of his similar role in Inglorious Basterds. Truth be told I found the film a bit depressing because it doesn't have a typical upbeat ending, but nevertheless it reminded me of classics like Casablanca to a degree (particularly in the mix of danger and romance as well as the overall stylishness of it).
    I like Allied a lot. A really underrated film. And Marion Cotillard is terrific.
    Yes, she's really very good in it. The film has tons of atmosphere and old school glamour/style. It feels like it was made in the past, rather than recently.