No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Spectre was arguably only a 'creative' disappointment in the US.

No. The yanks, to their credit, saw through it first. I know many a people who thought Spectre was perfect but now sort of shrugs when I mention the film.

So a lot of people thought SP was perfect when they first saw it is what you’re saying. Not exactly the disaster it’s made out to be.

@TheWizardOfIce yes SF was a phenomenon and SP got more the reaction of a regular Bond film. So what? Doesn’t make SP a catastrophe or even bad.
  • RC7RC7
    Danny is a very versatile director. There’s no doubt he can do Bond.

For those latching onto the ‘pure movie gold’ quote, don’t. One of the inevitable platitudes encountered at this stage.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 212
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    Craig doesn't run like that, and they should have known that some of us would have picked up on it. The helicopter had something similar. It's just cheap. Better not to do the stunt than make it so obvious.
    I think that's a bit too much nit-picking. I didn't notice anything of the sort and even if we're referring to Craig running on the bridge like that with semi-exhausted impression, it still doesn't bother me nor it takes me out of the film. If we're to pay attention to every detail frame by frame and have ourselves "pulled out of the film" just by noticing the slight differences between the stuntmen and the actors, then we'd never watch any film, and not just a Bond film.
    Interesting that they didn't expect Barbara to go for it, but she ended up liking it. Sounds like maybe a risky but great original idea! I'm excited if this stuff all turns out true.
    Gosh, I ended up reading 200 plus posts to get to Baz and it felt like reading a bondjames lecture. Do you guy work or do anything else ever? You seem ti be here 24/7.
    there was some talk about stuntmen doing all the work and putting DCs head on. Among the named scenes, the train fight was all him for example. Where he twisted the knee and so on.
    Seems hard to remain fair these days.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,073
    I just hope they get things back on track with Bond 26. It's hard to see how they could push the current direction further than having Boyle come in. CR was a decent script enhanced by a capable workmanlike director. That's all it was, and now we're here. This feels like another jump the shark moment for the franchise, not going to lie. I think a few of the problems can be remedied by Boyle (shorter run time, less bloated action, fresher tighter script) but some problems will also be exacerbated. It feels like the ne plus ultra of Craig films. They certainly aren't backing away from that territory, like they kinda did with SP.

My guess is they took the wrong lessons from SP, and think that doubling down on the Craigisms is the way to go - a shame.
    I would like to bring people back to feel some appreciation again for DC. Right now the way to be is quite the contrary. Like critisizing some CGI like the running, our bondjames talked about. It was, as far as I know, after the knee accident - WHICH under normal circumstances would have brought half a years rest. Insted he worked through the pain, waited with the necessary op to not delay the film. And whether you like the film or not, he did a lot if this during his films, was always motivated and gave his all. And yes, also in Sp. Fairness, something bondjames is so keen on, even when it helped some very questionable posters in the past, should come back into the play.
    Since the start I've only had appreciation for Craig as Bond. Yes, SP was a bit of a misstep in some ways, including Craig's change of character (a little too light), but he has been an excellent Bond most of the way for my taste. His incarnation of the character is unique and still very Bond. We'd be lucky to get another Bond as good as him or better.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,267
    Finally some news! (I'll take it we can trust this more than what rumours we have got so far)

I'm completely unfamiliar with Boyle's work. Not even seen a complete trailer from his previous films. Might as well keep it that way, and go into the cinema completely without expectations - if he ends up making Bond 25, that is.

If the rumours from the Daily Mail for some reason are also true, and that the big idea they're going on about, is what Boyle came up with during the London Olympics - we're talking about an idea that's possibly been around for six years! That's a decent amount of time for an idea to develop. Hell, he might even have made an outline or a small film treatment by the time that EON supposedly went for this.

TripAces wrote: »
    If it is Boyle and Boyle brought in Arctic Monkeys for the London games, is it not outside the realm of possibility that the band would do the theme song for Bond 25?

tumblr_mlacldwSlS1qg4blro1_500.gif

YES, PLEASE! Arctic Monkeys sure make good songs. The Last Shadow Puppets side project is also a Bond tune waiting to happen.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I would like to bring people back to feel some appreciation again for DC. Right now the way to be is quite the contrary. Like critisizing some CGI like the running, our bondjames talked about. It was, as far as I know, after the knee accident - WHICH under normal circumstances would have brought half a years rest. Insted he worked through the pain, waited with the necessary op to not delay the film. And whether you like the film or not, he did a lot if this during his films, was always motivated and gave his all. And yes, also in Sp. Fairness, something bondjames is so keen on, even when it helped some very questionable posters in the past, should come back into the play.

Having problems with sloppy CGI and the running of a stunt double has little to do with not appreciating Craig.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,601
    Whatever caused his appearance during the Baftas, these are fom Feb 6. So hopefully whatever happened, will get back to normal soon. As I see it, he was recently a bit rounder in the face, but in a - eats too much - way, not the odd way he looked at the Baftas.

rome16.jpg

rome17.jpg
    Sorry, what is this exciting news? Is there a link to the article? Is about Boyle and team having a script? What are the specifics if you don't mind me asking?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Getafix wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce yes SF was a phenomenon and SP got more the reaction of a regular Bond film. So what? Doesn’t make SP a catastrophe or even bad.
    Not at all. It was a bad and catastrophe entirely in its own right.

Anyway onto the actual news (as it's Baz I think we can confidently call it that rather than speculation):

I'm broadly pretty happy as it means are getting a fresh injection of both writing blood and directorial blood. Boyle and Hodge are a great and creative team and at least the film won't be boring.

My only reservation is this talk of an idea that is 'movie gold' which gets my Spidey senses tingling. Whenever film folk say something like that it usually means it's absolute gash; pretty sure someone described brothergate in similar terms.

I'm not sure of Hodge and Boyle's Bondian credentials and knowledge of the character so I have slight reservations that this golden idea might be something weird like brothergate that will have us aghast. And such is my lack of faith in EON at present (the dead end they have yet again driven themselves down a case in point - if Hodge's script turns out to be shit they are buggered as there'll be no time so we are pretty much stuck with it whatever now) the proof will be very much in the puddding, but at least Boyle and the jetisoning of P&W an exciting step in the right direction.
    Purvis and Wade riding off, looking for new work.
    Morgan_og_Ola-Conny_p%C3%A5_opplevelsesreise__episode_3_Original_55810.jpg?1439636504
    On yer bike boys and keep pedalling.

In summary my optimism for B25 has increased but is still be held in check from accelerating fully by the drag factor of very low confidence in what EON are doing at the moment.

Okay – so this is the confirmation we have been waiting for. I’m pretty certain Baz wouldn’t have spoken so emphatically about this news if it wasn’t going to happen.

So Boyle will begin filming his Richard Curtis musical any day now and then segue into Bond immediately? I imagine he either has a very short production/post window on the previous film or he’ll edit both film simultaneously? Boyle did something very similar with Trance which he filmed before the Olympics and then completed post on after the event. It sounds convoluted to say the least.

Alas, the report confirms suspicions that Craig was the driving factor here. But word that Barbara and Michael are actively encouraging the Hodge script pretty much means Danny is a lock.

In other Danny Boyle news, Lily James has just signed on to join his aforementioned musical. Filming is expected to begin next month, Baz has already cofirmed that Himesh Patel will also play a role:
    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/lily-james-danny-boyle-movie-1202722206/
    lily-james.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1

Wiz, don't forget that Boyle is directing something else this summer, so Bond 25 will be a rush job again. Oh, and Boyle has no experience working on a franchise like Bond, it's another punt on an auteur which will probably mean some elements will foregrounded at the expense of others.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Wiz, don't forget that Boyle is directing something else this summer, so Bond 25 will be a rush job again. Oh, and Boyle has no experience working on a franchise like Bond, it's another punt on an auteur which will probably mean some elements will foregrounded at the expense of others.

Yeah good point. 4 years and we end up with a guy doing a script that they are basically going to be forced to use or bump the release date and a director who will have no pre production time?

I know kids always do their homework the night before but Babs and MGW must have still been feverishly writing it as the teacher was walking round the class to collect their books for marking. Is this how to run a multi million dollar business?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m surprised at all the negativity. This is great news I think.

I agree!
    It's the best piece of news we've had in some time I think. Hope it comes together.
    Craig doesn't run like that, and they should have known that some of us would have picked up on it. The helicopter had something similar. It's just cheap. Better not to do the stunt than make it so obvious.
    I think that's a bit too much nit-picking. I didn't notice anything of the sort and even if we're referring to Craig running on the bridge like that with semi-exhausted impression, it still doesn't bother me nor it takes me out of the film. If we're to pay attention to every detail frame by frame and have ourselves "pulled out of the film" just by noticing the slight differences between the stuntmen and the actors, then we'd never watch any film, and not just a Bond film.
    Ok. Well, I did notice it. As mentioned I'm a runner and so pay attention to these things. I'm not sure what you mean by bridge though. I'm referring to the part in the PTS prior to the building collapse. It's definitely not him who makes the run on the roof just prior to the collapse. Regarding other films vs. Bond - I'm more of a Bond fan and so pay attention more to these films.
    Gosh, I ended up reading 200 plus posts to get to Baz and it felt like reading a bondjames lecture.
    Oh? So sorry.
    I wasn't commenting negatively on Craig when pointing out the running. It was more a criticism of CGI use in the last two films that we were discussing. It's quite independent. If anything I was complementing his normal purposeful running style which is what made me realize it wasn't him in the scene I referred to.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Having problems with sloppy CGI and the running of a stunt double has little to do with not appreciating Craig.
    Precisely.
    Bounine wrote: »
    Sorry, what is this exciting news? Is there a link to the article? Is about Boyle and team having a script? What are the specifics if you don't mind me asking?
    @Bounine here is a link to the Baz article with some quotes from it:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/855059/#Comment_855059
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    The news, more to come later (what does this mean for Bond?)
    https://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2018/03/09/breaking-danny-boyle-to-direct-bond-25/
    Well this is looking promising ..*rubs hands excitedly.....*
    As long as there are no delays, I will reserve judgement until I see the film. One positive is that P+W have finally been given the boot. Bond 25 should feel different, even if it's not in a way that's particularly desirable.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    As long as there are no delays, I will reserve judgement until I see the film. One positive is that P+W have finally been given the boot. Bond 25 should feel different, even if it's not in a way that's particularly desirable.
    Yes, that is indeed good news. I'm curious as to why they left it so late to make the change though. After all, P&W have been on the job for almost a year now.

The reddit user speculated that it was because of delays in the The Rhythm Section which provided an opening to go in a different direction. Perhaps that's true.

It just seems unusual to do that, unless it's because this is something that Boyle demanded. Meaning he wouldn't agree to do it unless his preferred scribe penned the story. Perhaps the P&W story was more traditional in structure? The type that Boyle has previously said wasn't of interest to him.
    I'm curious to the fact that P&W might not be involved anymore, too. No matter what one would think of their writing, the whole situation - if true, seems a bit unprofessional, doesn't it?
    Am in two minds about this. Boyle has a very hit and miss backlog! Trainspotting was his highlight but it's style wouldn't suit Bond. Trance was an interesting thriller if a bit daft, but it showed Boyle toning down his more flashy style. It all hinges on Hodges script. What happens if it's rejected by EON? Will Boyle bale? And back to Purvis/Wade, or maybe Jez Butterworth doctoring?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Maybe also the scripts have been compared even though they are not finished,and they saw that P&W were going down the usual avenue compared to Hodge.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    P&W probably developed a concept or outline & babs used that as a base starter for hodge & Boyle. If Boyle is helming expect a smaller budget & fewer a list stars. Waltz & Madeline are likely out. Craig is getting a standalone send off.

I hope it is also smaller budget. Small for Bond has never failed IMO.

I like the sound of a small budget, hopefully espionage driven, Bond film. While they are reigning in the budget, reign in the drama as well. A spy thriller fit to sit alongside FRWL and TLD is long overdue for a series centered around a spy.
    P&W probably developed a concept or outline & babs used that as a base starter for hodge & Boyle. If Boyle is helming expect a smaller budget & fewer a list stars. Waltz & Madeline are likely out. Craig is getting a standalone send off.

I like the sound of a small budget, hopefully espionage driven, Bond film. While they are reigning in the budget, reign in the drama as well. A spy thriller fit to sit alongside FRWL and TLD is long overdue for a series centered around a spy.

Not espionage driven, emotion driven I think with Boyle. He's not focused on plot, but character.

Not espionage driven, emotion driven I think with Boyle. He's not focused on plot, but character.
    That's interesting. Shades of SF then?
    Do we really need more bloody emotion ?!

That's interesting. Shades of SF then?

Out of the 4 Craig films, I'd say a Boyle film would most resemble SF, yes.