Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    What impresses me the most about Nolan is his ability to tell relatively complex stories with many moving parts in crowd pleasing ways. I'm always amazed by his capacity to weave so much into 2.5 hrs. Inception and Interstellar are quite elaborate and imaginative, but he manages to hold everything together nicely. The latter was overly melodramatic, but I'd argue that added to the consequence of the premise. It's a sign of a master storyteller.

Sure, TDKR could have been 'tighter'. Having said that, it's still an epic conclusion to the saga, and brings everything back full circle with impact and meaning. Wayne's arc is beautifully realized, and that's what the last film really was about.

I can't wait to see what he does with James Bond. Should be a walk in the park for him.

I hope he reimagines Classic Bond like Spielberg reimagined Classic adventure serials that inspired him with Indiana Jones.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    What impresses me the most about Nolan is his ability to tell relatively complex stories with many moving parts in crowd pleasing ways. I'm always amazed by his capacity to weave so much into 2.5 hrs. Inception and Interstellar are quite elaborate and imaginative, but he manages to hold everything together nicely. The latter was overly melodramatic, but I'd argue that added to the consequence of the premise. It's a sign of a master storyteller.

Sure, TDKR could have been 'tighter'. Having said that, it's still an epic conclusion to the saga, and brings everything back full circle with impact and meaning. Wayne's arc is beautifully realized, and that's what the last film really was about.

I can't wait to see what he does with James Bond. Should be a walk in the park for him.

I hope he reimagines Classic Bond like Spielberg reimagined Classic adventure serials that inspired him with Indiana Jones.
    I'm sure he will. A great film maker like him will tap into his inspiration, and we know that Blade Runner & TSWLM are two of his biggest influences. For him, Bond means scale and being transported to a larger than life venue.

The biggest obstacle to 'Nolan on Bond' is EON. His brand is so big that they may not want him to overshadow themselves and their character.

This is why I think the chances of him ever getting the job are less than 50%.
    I'm sure he will. A great film maker like him will tap into his inspiration, and we know that Blade Runner & TSWLM are two of his biggest influences. For him, Bond means scale and being transported to a larger than life venue.
    I think so too, and I think it's probable that if he does ever do a Bond it'll be the sort of spectacle we haven't had for a while.

That said, it's interesting we all seem to suppose this. Again, well warranted. But what would a Nolan Bond look like if he decided to go the more down-to-earth CR route that was partially inspired by his own gritty reset of the Batman franchise? It has been well-remarked at this point that BATMAN BEGINS was a big budget arthouse film. Would fans want him for an arthouse Bond? Or is part of wanting him to do a Bond the promise of a return to the larger-than-life stuff?
    The Dark Knight (2008). Pure delight every single time. The ultimate Batman film, comic book film, and action film all at once. I'll be sure to finish the trilogy with TDKR later.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I am positive that we are in for a large than life entry after Craig is done, whether it's Nolan or whoever. That "Arthouse film on steriods" approach is very mid 2000's. I'm enjoying the current cinematic climate, as we are moving in a more structured and reassured direction. Bond 26 (or 25 if Craig backs out) will be a film like GoldenEye or Raiders of the Lost Ark, I.e hitting all the notes well, and reintroducing the character at his bombastic best, without the need for an origin.
    Strog wrote: »
    I think so too, and I think it's probable that if he does ever do a Bond it'll be the sort of spectacle we haven't had for a while.

That said, it's interesting we all seem to suppose this. Again, well warranted. But what would a Nolan Bond look like if he decided to go the more down-to-earth CR route that was partially inspired by his own gritty reset of the Batman franchise? It has been well-remarked at this point that BATMAN BEGINS was a big budget arthouse film. Would fans want him for an arthouse Bond? Or is part of wanting him to do a Bond the promise of a return to the larger-than-life stuff?
    I'd be ok with a big budget arthouse film from Nolan, but perhaps only from Nolan.

I think I'd give him more leeway than another director just because I think he has the creative chops and the passion for the series to really pull out all the stops and give us something special no matter what direction he chooses to go in.

Having said all that, he's not a one note film maker. It's true that he went in a specific direction for BB, but since then his approach has been emulated, even by others on Bond. So I'd imagine he'd want to surprise us again, and the thing that hasn't been done well since 60s/70s heyday is a larger than life entry.

I still think EON may be the problem because of his fame and big name status (similar to how they don't like big name actors for Bond).
    I am positive that we are in for a large than life entry after Craig is done, whether it's Nolan or whoever. That "Arthouse film on steriods" approach is very mid 2000's. I'm enjoying the current cinematic climate, as we are moving in a more structured and reassured direction. Bond 26 (or 25 if Craig backs out) will be a film like GoldenEye or Raiders of the Lost Ark, I.e hitting all the notes well, and reintroducing the character at his bombastic best, without the need for an origin.
    I'd be completely down for that! Bring it on.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Blue Jasmine

Few years old but I hadn't seen it.

Now I know what I was missing.

Cate Blanchett is just amazing in this. I really painful and realistic performance. She has great support from Sally Hawkins, Bobby Cannavale and Alec Baldwin. But it's Blanchett's film.

I think Woody Allen's theme here is lies and deciet. But it's funny, disturbing and in my opinion one of his best.
    @LeonardPine I completely agree. Blanchett is tremendous in Blue Jasmine. I actually know someone quite close to me who was in a similar situation and she captures such a character's despair to perfection.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 13,894
    It was late, and I was looking for something to watch. Saw it a few years ago, and remember liking it, so I watched...

rising-sun-movie-poster-1993-1020371660.jpg

While I have never been much of a fan of Connery on the whole, this is probably my favourite film of his. Connery and Snipes, play off one another nicely. I have to admire Connery's beard. I would kill to be able to grow a fine beard like that. Alas, I have to make do with a goatee. Hairs too wispy on the cheeks, you see.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who do you reckon Connery killed to get his beard?
    It was late, and I was looking for something to watch. Saw it a few years ago, and remember liking it, so I watched...

While I have never been much of a fan of Connery on the whole, this is probably my favourite film of his. Connery and Snipes, play off one another nicely. I have to admire Connery's beard. I would kill to be able to grow a fine beard like that. Alas, I have to make do with a goatee. Hairs too wispy on the cheeks, you see.
    Rising Sun is indeed a good film. I recommend it too.

A bit late 80s/early 90s vibe to it (the anti-Japanese thing and all) but definitely worth seeing for Connery and Snipes. I may give it a rewatch again soon.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a happy man. I saw one of my favourite anime films of all time, AKIRA, on the big screen. Original Japanese dub, English subs, powerful sound transfer. Great experience.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,400
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (2017)

This was supposedly it. This was the one big one I missed during 2017 proper. I sat down really excited to watch one of the best movies of all time! Willem Dafoe is amazing! I'm so ready!

This is the worst movie I have ever watched. I spent the duration of the end credits screaming at my television, cursing the fact that I must now be trapped in a mirror universe as I am not only the sole person who thinks this film has nothing redeeming about it other than the times Willem Dafoe is on screen, I'm apparently the sole person who thinks this movie is anything less than a Citizen Kane for the 21st century.

I have a million reasons for feeling this way, most of all the terrible actress and character that is Halley. I just spent two hours watching her be a whiny (Edit) person and horrible parent. If this film is Moonee's story then why the hell did this woman get so much of the screentime?

But whatever. Fine. We get to the ending. Moonee is crying. Her childhood is in shambles and possibly her future. Willem Dafoe hasn't swooped in and saved her like every other movie would have done. That's cool. That's ballsy. That's dark. And then...

She gets whisked away by her friend to Disneyland in a sequence that was FILMED WITH A GODDAMN CELLPHONE. Yeah I get it. It didn't actually happen, this is in her head, it's a dream sequence, blah blah blah. But that's EXACTLY the problem. She's still had her life turned upside down because of her shitty idiot mother, and that doesn't change just because we saw her dream of Disneyland. And then it cuts to black, and that's it, and I've wasted two hours of my time and a considerably larger piece of my soul by watching this film.

If you've seen this movie, that means you love it. And if so, I ask... God, WHY?

If you've not seen this movie, I beg you... God, DON'T!

0/10
    So this movie left you more shaken than stirred?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    So this movie left you more shaken than stirred?

It left me broken.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,722

Very stylish film. A couple of examples that come to mind: that energetic zoom/pan when Connery first appears onscreen (followed by a great line delivery: "No! Be on time."), and the windshield wipers sounding like sexual moans. Good stuff.

I remember I didn't fully understand the plot when I watched the film. I did run into an interesting article, an excerpt of which I'd like to quote here (SPOILERS):
    The person behind the entire plot was Yoshida-san, and John Connor, his right hand man, has helped him cover it up. Note that Connor thinks it an excellent idea to send proof of Morton’s affair to the senator, thus triggering his suicide. This is very different from the novel, where Morton commits suicide for honorable reasons, because he does not wish to be blackmailed into changing his position on the Nakamoto-MicroCon merger, and this suicide is something that neither Connor nor Smith want. The explanation given for their action is “We beat the grass to startle the snakes”, but what the hell does that mean in this context? What does their investigation gain by doing this? It gains them nothing, but it perhaps gives something to Connor and Yoshida-san: they get rid of a witness who might say how he met Cheryl, thus connecting Yoshida-san to the plot. Note also that when they chase Richmond and they are delayed by the yakuza, Connor lets Smith keep fighting long after he himself has stopped and figured out that it’s a feint, resulting in Richmond’s death, another connecting witness gone.

---

(The article also quotes the following exchange between Jingo Asakuma and Smith as evidence that the first, superficial reading of the plot isn't accurate)

ASAKUMA
    You know in Japan, the one who confesses to the murder…doesn’t have to be the one that did it. It’s an old tradition that, out of loyalty…an innocent man will take the rap for his boss. It’s his duty.

SMITH
    That’s not what happened here. That Richmond guy would have done anything to make that deal go through. He was working with Ishihara. A yuppie facilitator, a hustling business samurai. Wave of the future.

ASAKUMA
    If you say so.

SMITH
    If I say so? Look, I’m a cop. It’s my business to know these things. Besides…what about Connor?

ASAKUMA
    What about him?

SMITH
    The guy’s always right.

ASAKUMA
    If you say so.

The complete article discusses this point and the plot in a more detailed manner. I'm not sure what to make of it, but the possibility that the film has a
    hidden layer which in fact reveals one of the "heroes" is not a hero
    is very interesting.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oh I definitely think that Connor wasn't exactly heroic (though by no means villainous either), @mattjoes. Look at the verbal exchange between Connor and Smith, about Connors "golf membership". Thanks for the article, I will give it a read. I might try and pick a copy of the film up, and see if anything else jumps out. It isn't as if I have seen the film often enough to have it committed to memory.

A bit late 80s/early 90s vibe to it (the anti-Japanese thing and all) but definitely worth seeing for Connery and Snipes. I may give it a rewatch again soon.

Strictly a meat and potatoes man. Great to see LTK's Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa here. I always thought Sean and Wesley Snipes had good chemistry. Been ages since I've seen it. I'll have to track down a copy.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Strictly a meat and potatoes man. Great to see LTK's Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa here. I always thought Sean and Wesley Snipes had good chemistry. Been ages since I've seen it. I'll have to track down a copy.
    Oh yes he was great in it, as was Twin Peaks' Ray Wise and the always excellent Harvey Keitel.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Oh I definitely think that Connor wasn't exactly heroic (though by no means villainous either), @mattjoes. Look at the verbal exchange between Connor and Smith, about Connors "golf membership". Thanks for the article, I will give it a read. I might try and pick a copy of the film up, and see if anything else jumps out. It isn't as if I have seen the film often enough to have it committed to memory.
    I'm really overdue for a rewatch myself.
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012). It is weaker than the first two, but it's still one of the best threequels ever for my money. Very good and satisfying film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012). It is weaker than the first two, but it's still one of the best threequels ever for my money. Very good and satisfying film.

I watch TDKR more than the other two, though I am a IMAX junkie the film looks fantastic.
    It's my least watched, but like I said, I like it a lot still. Nolan never disappoints me.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I watch TDKR more than the other two, though I am a IMAX junkie the film looks fantastic.
    Me too. Love it.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Red Sparrow (2018). For a 15 Cert this was quite a brutal film with a few 'sharp intake of breath' moments (and they weren't all the violent ones - JL ass shot being one!). A good twisty-turny espionage film that keeps you guessing till the end.
    Start of a franchise? If that does happen I can see following films being made for a 12A cert and thus watering down what would be films for grown-ups.
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007). Great musical; one of Burton's finest efforts. I've been a fan for a while now.
    Strog wrote: »
    Just back myself from RED SPARROW. Not excellent, but really solid stuff here. The narrative is well-paced, captivating throughout, and has just the right touch of the labyrinthine about it for a spy thriller. The film is quietly shot and framed well. JLaw is great as usual. Francis Lawrence gets solid performances from the supporting cast. All in all every bit as good as it looked from the trailer when I first saw it months ago, when I hadn't even heard of it. Disagree entirely with the stuffier critics who say it relies its violence as a gimmick and its sex as an enticement to ogle Lawrence. Each is earned and comes with cost.
    Red Sparrow (2018). For a 15 Cert this was quite a brutal film with a few 'sharp intake of breath' moments (and they weren't all the violent ones - JL ass shot being one!). A good twisty-turny espionage film that keeps you guessing till the end.
    Start of a franchise? If that does happen I can see following films being made for a 12A cert and thus watering down what would be films for grown-ups.
    Glad you both liked it, as did I.

I'm hoping they make the sequels but fearful it may not come to fruition due to the apparent backlash by the PC nutters.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Wonder Woman has finally arrived on SKY Cinema yesterday,so I will check it out when I can,i recorded it.

Heard a lot of good things about it,so im looking forward to it.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Wonder Woman has finally arrived on SKY Cinema yesterday,so I will check it out when I can,i recorded it.

Gal Gadot could have been a good Bond girl, don't you think?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Gal Gadot could have been a good Bond girl, don't you think?

Definitely....still time ;)