Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

@chrisisall I love that trilogy, and I love to see the Spider-Man 3 love! I like it a lot myself, even though I rank it below 1 and 2. I would say:
    1 - 9/10
    2 - 9/10
    3 - 8/10

I love all 3.
    Blade II (2002). Not my cup of tea I'm afraid; second Del Toro film that didn't work out so well for me (along with Mimic).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Blade II (2002). Not my cup of tea I'm afraid; second Del Toro film that didn't work out so well for me (along with Mimic).
    Yeah, kind of prefer the first one myself.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Drive Arngry
    giphy.gif
    The CGI is very poor, otherwise it's an enjoyably ott action film. I don't know who is more badass in this film, Nicholas Cage, Amber Heard or William Fitchner... probably best to call it a draw between the 3.

Leatherface
    Not to be confused with Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (AKA the only TCM film to show respect the original). I knew of the "twist" before watching Leatherface, but when it happened, I still couldn't prepare myself for how cheap it was. Highlight of the film had to be Stephen Dorff at the vengeful Sheriff, shame he wasn't in the film more.

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    2. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
    4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)

5. Texas Chainsaw (2013)

6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

7. Leatherface (2017)

8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames The director of San Andreas has also made the upcoming Rampage, also featuring Dwayne Johnson, and they are both planning to make a sequel to 'San Andreas'. Which might prove difficult to put in motions as Johnson's schedule is very busy - production on the 'Fast & Furious' spinoff Hobbs & Shaw is due to start soon, this summer he'll work on the action/adventure film Jungle Cruise (directed by Jaume Collet-Serra and co-starring Emily Blunt) and the sequel to last year's Jumanji is set for a December 2019 release already. And I believe the production for Fast & Furious 9 will take place next year as well, as the film is schedule for April 2020.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. Johnson definitely seems to have a full schedule! I'm glad they're considering a sequel to San Andreas. I had a lot of fun with it and it's actually made me want to seek out more of Johnson's films (I recall you recommending Central Intelligence a while back and that's one I'm going to get soon). I will also check out all his new films for 2018 and will also pick up Jumanji when it hits blu.

He is this generation's Arnie, Bruce and Sly put together.

----

Call Me By Your Name (2017)
    lxnjtq1.jpg
    I had read positive commentary on this coming of age drama, directed by Luca Guadagnino and based on a James Ivory script and Andre Aciman novel. It's set in Italy and boasts wonderful cinematography courtesy of director of photography Sayombhu Mukdeeprom. The camera captures the atmosphere, warmth and romantic nature of Italy quite beautifully. In fact, I don't think I've seen it so well done in a western film since John Seale's work on Anthony Minghella's The Talented Mr. Ripley. You feel as if you're really there. This to me is the real star of the film. The score, which features eclectic tracks from various artists, is another standout.

The film itself focuses on the sexual and homo-erotic romantic awakening of a 17 year old boy Elio (Timothee Chalamet) on account of the visiting presence of a handsome and worldly graduate student Oliver (Armie Hammer) at the estate at which is professor father (Michael Stuhlbarg) and mother (Amira Casar) are staying. Their relationship develops slowly and cautiously, even though Elio's attraction to confident and flamboyant Oliver is instant. Elio's surprisingly understanding current girlfriend (Esther Garrel) has to contend with this developing scenario. Chalamet is excellent as the slightly awkward but intelligent young man coming to terms with his sexuality. Hammer is surprisingly good as well, and is physically convincing as someone who could entice such attraction & affection. This is certainly an interesting film. Quite sensual and intimate in some ways, but I felt also somewhat distant in other ways. I found some of the scenes (including one with a peach), uncomfortable to watch, but I appreciated the overall message which was beautifully delivered at the end by the father. It's very true, and more of us would be well served to know it sooner rather than later. Youth is fleeting. Make the most of it & experience it fully.

This film reminded me in many ways of Bernardo Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty, which I recall rushing to the theatre to view as a younger man on account of Liv Tyler. Well, this one doesn't have Liv (a pity), but is aesthetically similar. Worth a watch, but it's a bit slow.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames As a matter of fact, the director of Central Intelligence, who so far had only directed comedy films, has his first 'serious' project coming out this summer: the ''Die Hard'' inspired action flick Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson.
    That's another one on my list @DaltonCraig007. As I've mentioned somewhere before, I'm a sucker for a high-rise disaster epic (The Towering Inferno and the legendary Die Hard are two of my all time faves).
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames You should really check out The Raid (and its sequel), if you haven't already.

I haven't seen either @DaltonCraig007. Will do that and am also planning to pick up Chaos with Snipes, Statham and Phillippe, which I recently found out about.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,273
    Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). My Del Toro marathon concludes with the very fun and exciting sequel to the first Hellboy. Maybe the most purely entertaining of all Del Toro's films! Final ranking of Del Toro's work:

1. Pan's Labyrinth (10/10; masterpiece)
    2. The Shape of Water (9.5/10; my favorite of 2017, good or great in most ways)
    3. The Devil's Backbone (9/10; an extremely original, well-done film)
    4. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (8.5/10; a terrific sequel, fun the whole way!)
    5. Hellboy (8/10; a very good, different comic book film - works as an origin film and much more!)

6. Crimson Peak (6.5/10; some very good stuff included, but it never really comes together for me)
    7. Pacific Rim (6.5/10; decent enough, entertaining in most parts, but not my kind of movie necessarily)
    8. Cronos (6/10; average - didn't particularly like or dislike it collectively)
    9. Mimic (5/10; questionable characters/acting, but some cool moments and ideas)
    10. Blade II (5/10; some really cool stuff here and there, but overall not my cup of tea)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @chrisisall I love that trilogy, and I love to see the Spider-Man 3 love! I like it a lot myself, even though I rank it below 1 and 2. I would say:
    1 - 9/10
    2 - 9/10
    3 - 8/10

I love all 3.

@FoxRox, have you read this?
    https://screenrant.com/spider-man-3-underrated/
    It's really well thought out, and puts all three in very good perspective.
    @chrisisall I actually did see that article last year! Funny you posted it; it does lay out a lot of good points. Spider-Man 3 is definitely an underrated film.

Last movie I've seen now is Inherent Vice (2014). Definitely the weakest and my least favorite of Paul Thomas Anderson's films, sadly. Didn't work for me. Just Boogie Nights remains before I've seen all his films.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Saw this last night.

Very involving with a good narrative and excellent performances all round :

518bG5HolPL._SY445_.jpg

Really good film that, @barryt007

Love the narration and the very flawed characters. Seen it a few times. Very underappreciated.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Last movie I've seen now is Inherent Vice (2014). Definitely the weakest and my least favorite of Paul Thomas Anderson's films, sadly. Didn't work for me. Just Boogie Nights remains before I've seen all his films.
    Dang was hoping when you got around to it you'd like it!

Btw, @FoxRox do you usually go through a director's catalog like you're doing now with del Toro and PTA? Or is it something you've just fallen into this once?

--

Just back myself from RED SPARROW. Not excellent, but really solid stuff here. The narrative is well-paced, captivating throughout, and has just the right touch of the labyrinthine about it for a spy thriller. The film is quietly shot and framed well. JLaw is great as usual. Francis Lawrence gets solid performances from the supporting cast. All in all every bit as good as it looked from the trailer when I first saw it months ago, when I hadn't even heard of it. Disagree entirely with the stuffier critics who say it relies its violence as a gimmick and its sex as an enticement to ogle Lawrence. Each is earned and comes with cost.
    @Strog It depends on the director, but I have indeed fully gone through many director catalogs: Steven Spielberg, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Hayao Miyazaki, Christopher Nolan, David Lynch, and now Paul Thomas Anderson (with the exception of Boogie Nights, which I will get to soon) and Guillermo del Toro. I've seen many films from certain directors but not all due to lack of interest in certain movies they've done (Ridley Scott, Alfred Hitchcock, Roman Polanski, Francis Ford Coppola, Woody Allen, etc.).

Inherent Vice just didn't work for me. I never was able to get into the story I'm afraid, even though on paper it sounds interesting. Josh Brolin was probably my favorite part. Magnolia and Inherent Vice are the two PTA films that I couldn't appreciate like his other films; they didn't speak to me as well as his other works. Right now for me his work would go:

1. There Will Be Blood
    2. The Master
    3. Punch-Drunk Love
    4. Phantom Thread
    5. Hard Eight
    6. Magnolia
    7. Inherent Vice

Just have to watch Boogie Nights to figure out where that one will place.
    @Strog It depends on the director, but I have indeed fully gone through many director catalogs: Steven Spielberg, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Hayao Miyazaki, Christopher Nolan, David Lynch, and now Paul Thomas Anderson (with the exception of Boogie Nights, which I will get to soon) and Guillermo del Toro. I've seen many films from certain directors but not all due to lack of interest in certain movies they've done (Ridley Scott, Alfred Hitchcock, Roman Polanski, Francis Ford Coppola, Woody Allen, etc.).
    It's a good method. You've certainly done it more than I have. It's hard for me to proceed directly through an entire director's filmography without breaking to watch other things, so I tend to work my way through directors as a sort of background process. Second half of last year, for example, I gradually watched most of Chaplin (two features left to go). Fritz Lang and Pedro Almodovar are ongoing.
    Inherent Vice just didn't work for me. I never was able to get into the story I'm afraid, even though on paper it sounds interesting. Josh Brolin was probably my favorite part. Magnolia and Inherent Vice are the two PTA films that I couldn't appreciate like his other films; they didn't speak to me as well as his other works. Right now for me his work would go:

1. There Will Be Blood
    2. The Master
    3. Punch-Drunk Love
    4. Phantom Thread
    5. Hard Eight
    6. Magnolia
    7. Inherent Vice

Just have to watch Boogie Nights to figure out where that one will place.
    I think you'll like it. For me it is his best prior to PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,081
    bondjames wrote: »
    Seems to be the consensus. To me, it deserves all the praise. I’m rooting for it to take Best Picture but I have a feeling it won’t happen.
    I just finished viewing The Phantom Thread. Very impressive film and the first I've watched with Daniel Day Lewis. Vicky Krieps is outstanding.

You've never seen any movies with DDL in them before? Wow, how did that happen? (j/k, weird things happen, I know.) I agree about Vicky Krieps, I want to see more of her (I think I've seen only 2 other movies she's in, but in much smaller roles). I loved the movie, too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    physically convincing as someone who could entice such attraction & affection.

Yes, that, too, but while physical attraction could be, affection isn't (and wasn't) based on physical attributes. Love goes far beyond that.
    This is certainly an interesting film. Quite sensual and intimate in some ways, but I felt also somewhat distant in other ways.

Distant how? Not caring what happened, or what do you mean? Just asking because "distant" is so, um, distant from my own experience. I felt very close to everything, and sort of like I was in Italy observing, and the movie as a whole felt like an embrace I won't be letting go of.
    I found some of the scenes (including one with a peach), uncomfortable to watch

Oh? That's surprising. I'm curious to learn why, if you'd care to elaborate.

As for the peach scene, I thought it was exquisite. Absolutely beautifully done - both part 1 and part 2. I love them both.
    (Many people only actually mean part 1, but part 2 is incredible, so many things in such a short time. It was great watching part 2 in a sold-out theatre, with some people anticipating and starting to giggle, then this really loud burst of laughter in the theatre at those first words, then bubbly laughter for a bit, and then, when the mood of the scene changed, audience suddenly going absolutely silent, like magic. Loved it.)
    This film reminded me in many ways of Bernardo Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty, which I recall rushing to the theatre to view as a younger man on account of Liv Tyler. Well, this one doesn't have Liv (a pity), but is aesthetically similar. Worth a watch, but it's a bit slow.

Guadagnino loves Bertolucci's work.
    I don't remember if I've even seen that one.

I don't really understand "slow" as a description for this movie, since it seems like a negative attribute, and that's how it's usually used, but this would be ruined if it was "faster." (It could be even "slower" actually.) It needs time to breathe. A movie that needs to show much happening and a lot of turmoil, without a lot of action, and where people communicate a lot of their thoughts and inner world without words, has to provide space to allow that. And it needed to allow space for the attraction, desire, longing - along with all the confusion and conflicting emotions - to be seen and felt to make it work. Most movies don't handle that well at all, which is one reason why it so rarely seems real, but it did it here. (You might disagree on that, of course.)
    Practically all scenes provided important information and details, developed the characters and moved the story along. Except maybe where they ask for water, but that was a nice oasis between two extremely important scenes with tension... the characters themselves probably needed... oh wait... *thinks* ...actually, I guess they needed that break and the water, and not just because it was hot, so that scene needed to be there, too, both for the audience and for the characters. As for editing... cutting away biking from between scenes (for instance) would have been just rushing. I liked the pace, it fit the dreamy, lazy summer that was essential to the story.

Talking of which, I agree about the cinematography being great, and it fit the movie perfectly. One would never have guessed that they had to deal with exceptionally rainy weeks while shooting the movie. I don't know how they still managed to shoot it pretty much in chronological order, a lot of it is outdoors.

Anyway, nice to hear that you kinda enjoyed the movie despite finding it "slow" and it making you "uncomfortable."
    @Tuulia, regarding Daniel Day Lewis: mindless action fare, spy flicks, light dramas and comedies are my main interest. DDL tends to make deeper films which require focus and concentration, and these are just not normally the types I gravitate towards and that's why I hadn't seen anything of his before. His reputation precedes him of course, and there was something about Phantom Thread which intrigued me (it might just have been the poster). The Oscar buzz helped too. So I thought I'd try it out and I'm glad I did. Perhaps I'll check out some of his other works now too.
    --

Regarding Call Me By Your Name: I was intrigued by it because of some positive reviews and because I had heard good things about Hammer, an actor I have perhaps been harsh on in the past. I'm glad I watched it and enjoyed it overall. My point about 'slow' is for other viewers who may read my review. I don't want to mislead them about the pacing, which is far from brisk. The film takes its time, and that's a good thing in this instance. It has an old school flavour to it as a result. I didn't mean it as a negative.

Regarding the 'peach' scene, I just found it gratuitous & a bit odd. I'm not a prude by any means (after all, I quite enjoyed the pie shenanigans in American Pie and wasn't uncomfortable with that), so your question led me to consider what it was in particular about the scene which made me feel this way.
    Perhaps I just can't relate to the intimacy that they were trying to portray via the scene. I just see it as a guy getting it on with a fruit. One which another guy decides to eat afterwards.
    The emotional subtext of the scene (which I have since read about) was just lost on me. As mentioned, I found the father's speech towards the end far more intimate and poignant, as I did the final scene by the fireplace (quite moving) and the last conversation between Elio and Oliver. I just think that the film could have done without defiling a piece of produce and still been as satisfactorily meaningful. Perhaps more so.

In terms of other scenes being uncomfortable
    I suppose it was difficult to see two men get so close to one another in this way.
    Perhaps that's the point, and the film succeeded on account of how well such intimacy was conveyed.

In terms of 'distant': I mean that I wasn't able to relate to the romance in the same way that I was in Phantom Thread for instance. While there was very little nudity or overt sexual references in the DDL film, I found I could connect with both Woodcock and Alma, and in particular the tenderness, tension, emotions, passions & love games between them. I couldn't quite do the same with Elio and Oliver. It was foreign to me in a way, as though I was observing it from afar rather than wholeheartedly absorbing and embracing it. It's difficult to explain. I'm not sure if that's on account of the direction or not. Visually Call Me By Your Name is the stronger film.

I don't want you to think I didn't like it. I thought it was very well done.
    ---

PS: Regarding Stealing Beauty: I saw it many years ago and found it slow and boring. Then again, I was much younger. I might enjoy it a lot more now. It's basically Liv's character coming of age in Italy if I remember correctly (I had a huge crush on her and she was the main reason I sought it out). The soundtrack is first class.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I gotta pull a Keanu and say: whoaaaaa--

@bondjames, did I mis-read, or did you say TPT was your first DDL film? You didn't see MY LEFT FOOT? IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER? AGE OF INNOCENCE? THE BOXER? THERE WILL BE BLOOD? GHANDI (I jest-- a blink and you missed it role)...

But, seriously, you've never seen DDL before this most recent release?
    No, @peter I've not seen any of those films except Gandhi (a long time ago so I don't remember him in that one). I haven't seen Lincoln or Gangs of New York either. I have to watch Gandhi again.

I will say I was impressed enough by him in Phantom Thread to want to see more of his films, so I have some discovering to do.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, @bondjames -- this guy is truly one of the greatest actors in the last forty years; Ghandi: he has a one minute scene, early in his career, where he tries to force Mahatma off of a sidewalk...

Grab MY LEFT FOOT, first... GANGS OF NEW YORK is surreal since he elevates everything about it, at the same time making DiCaprio (an actor I enjoy) and Cameron Diaz, appear as if they were in a kindergarten play.
    I will definitely check those out soon then @peter. I know of him of course and so approached Phantom Thread with curiosity but also reasonably high expectations of him. He didn't disappoint, so I can see why he's so looked up to now. Vicky Krieps was just great in that film though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Last of the Mohicans was the first Daniel Day Lewis film I watched, it's probably my favourite of his films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Last of the Mohicans was the first Daniel Day Lewis film I watched, it's probably my favourite of his films.

Mine too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Finally watched Dunkirk earlier this evening. It was a good movie for sure, but it didn't necessarily floor me. Wasn't too crazy about the disjointed narrative style, either. Great acting, set design, cinematography, score, etc., which is par for the course in a Nolan production. Can't wait to see what he cooks up next.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    COCO is moving in to the 2nd or 3rd spot for 2017.

@Birdleson Proud of you! It is an awesome movie and has a spot in my Top 10!
    My top three Day-Lewis performances would probably be THERE WILL BE BLOOD (2007), LINCOLN (2012), and GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002), though not necessarily in that order. I think his job in PHANTOM THREAD was marvelous as usual, but the character called less attention to itself than those others. Don't get me wrong, Reynolds Woodcock is great and interesting. I just think those other three are some of the great all-time movie roles.
    That might be the only Day-Lewis film I've seen that I didn't like actually.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    COCO is moving in to the 2nd or 3rd spot for 2017.
    I haven't checked it out. I wasn't interested initially because it looked so, so similar to THE BOOK OF THE DEAD (2014). I haven't checked specifically to see how alike it turned out to be in the end, but I've heard only rave reviews, so I should probably view it at some point.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Finally watched Dunkirk earlier this evening. It was a good movie for sure, but it didn't necessarily floor me. Wasn't too crazy about the disjointed narrative style, either. Great acting, set design, cinematography, score, etc., which is par for the course in a Nolan production. Can't wait to see what he cooks up next.
    Still need to give this a home viewing. I'm hoping it'll allow me to focus on the actual film itself instead of the experience of seeing it in IMAX.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Saw this last night.

Very involving with a good narrative and excellent performances all round :

518bG5HolPL._SY445_.jpg

Really good film that, @barryt007

Love the narration and the very flawed characters. Seen it a few times. Very underappreciated.

Indeed...the character development is very very good,and you can feel the nervous energy around the town re the peodophile,especially the pool scene.

I was very pleasantly surprised by it,thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Mask of Zorro
    Fantastic Four (2005)