Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

This movie is an instant classic from the first frame to last. Spielberg set out to create his own James Bond, and within one film he achieved it. Not even he was able to top what he did here, it's a true masterpiece of action and adventure. Temple of Doom was slightly too dark and intimate, and Last Crusade was slightly too light and globetrotting. Raiders succeeds at a sense of danger and adventure, and with room for plenty of appropriate humour. There really isn't a false note, I don't think. Although the action is scattered throughout, the scenes are sharp and to the point, so there is really room for a detailed story and good characters. The finale is quite modest by modern standards, and the baddies kinda commit suicide rather than Indie saving the day, but then again, I don't think he was ever a hero like we think. His concern was always for the artifact and the girl, not for victory. He's just trying to save his neck a lot of the time.

If there is a film that can rival Star Wars and Goldfinger for Iconic images and moments, this is it.

10/10

Very well said, Mendes. This is a great action/adventure, one of the best in film history, and is as iconic as the films you mentioned.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mzP170srV7u-rViXjrlcsDQ.jpg
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 15,825
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Colorization is an insult to the original filmmakers. I though that practice was discoubtinued back in the eighties due to the massive backlash. I can't believe it's returned.
    Definitely agree. People seem to forget that black and white films are shot in consideration of the monochrome format, and to colorize them is to essentially present them in a fashion they weren't meant for. All the great work of the cinematographer and lighting crews undone just because the studio or others want to profit off of colorized versions.

Whoever ordered the colorization of Casablanca should've ended up like Major Strasser, to name but one example.

Well said. The sets, clothes and props had selective color schemes chosen for black and white. Those films were specifically lit for black and white to allow for the correct contrast.

It's well known that George Reeves' Superman costume was gray (bluish gray) for the tights and a brownish color for the cape. When the series switched to color the show was still being broadcast in black and white so the blue tights got lighter each season.

When creating the iconic Universal Studio's Frankenstein Monster make-up Jack Pierce commissioned Max Factor to created a "sky gray" color for Boris Karloff. Gray with a very subtle greenish hue. He wasn't Incredible Hulk green as often depicted in merchandise.

Clayton Moore's Lone Ranger mask was a blue/purple rather than black, and Grouch Marx wore brown horn rimmed glasses.

I believe back in the 80's the colorization companies did do their research on what colors were used in many of the films being colorized. There was more access to that information then as many of the cinematographers and directors were still alive. Probably why, along with the primitive colorization technology, that is why some of the films looked a bit weird- such as CASABLANCA and YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.
    Colorizing classic films today is pretty much all artistic license rather than an accurate depiction on what the actors looked like on the set.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    I've read and loved the stories, but I've been thoroughly negligent when it comes to Holmes on film.

The Moffat-Gatiss BBC show is the extent of my experience, really. In general the first series (or two) of that was good, but I thought it got decreasingly excellent as it went along. Although my favorite episode they did was the one that took inspiration from The Sign of the Four, and that was third series.

I haven't seen any other adaptations of Conan Doyle's work. In fact I believe the only film I've seen which had anything to do with Sherlock was Bill Condon's MR. HOLMES (2015), which I did quite like. Also, one of my favorite directors is Billy Wilder, and I've been meaning for the past couple years to watch THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1970).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mzP170srV7u-rViXjrlcsDQ.jpg

One of my top five Chan films ever.

Just watched Raimi's Spider-Man last night. Been a while. It's easy to kind of forget how great this first one was.
    Stand By Me

an emotional film to say the least tightly paced well acted and a King film to boot what else can I say.

the only issue I have is the barf scene and how psychotic Kiefer Sutherland is but meh..

Films I have seen in 2018
    1, The Final Girls
    2. Taken
    3. Stand By Me
    4. Before Sunrise
    5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    6. Before Midnight
    7. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Taken Series

1. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. Taken

The Great Wall starring Matt Damon.
    A good ole popcorn fantasy movie. Never looked at the great wall like that before!

Star Trek Beyond.
    Really enjoyed this. Thought it was a brilliant touch where Spock opened the photo case to reveal the picture of the original cast as the crew. Pure class!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Shape Of Water

I liked this but I didn't love it like I thought I would. Reminded me of the work of Jean-Pierre Jeunet in its mood and cinematography.

Sally Hawkins is amazing in this and Michael Shannon plays one of the most vile characters ever put on film. Some strong violence and surprisingly graphic sex scenes make this a real oddity.

A bit overrated I think but well worth a look.
    Seems to be the consensus. To me, it deserves all the praise. I’m rooting for it to take Best Picture but I have a feeling it won’t happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Seems to be the consensus. To me, it deserves all the praise. I’m rooting for it to take Best Picture but I have a feeling it won’t happen.
    I just finished viewing The Phantom Thread. Very impressive film and the first I've watched with Daniel Day Lewis. Vicky Krieps is outstanding.

I'm not sure if it's an affirmation of gender stereotypes (which may not go down well with the SJWs) or not, but it's definitely a very well made complex tale of love and all of its ups and downs.

Obsession, dominance, submission, masculinity, femininity, manipulation etc. are all delicately illustrated.

Spellbinding, ethereal and captivating, with lush cinematography and periodic scenery, I found myself entirely engrossed from the start.

Recommended and I wouldn't have a problem if this won tonight. Johnny Greenwood's score is first class.
    Spider-Man 2.1 tonight. Not the simple perfection of the first, but awesome.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »

The extended train sequence is impressive, one of the best superhero action sequences.

The extended train sequence is impressive, one of the best superhero action sequences.

And the earlier battle with Aunt May involved... 2.1 is SO much better than the theatrical.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

And the earlier battle with Aunt May involved... 2.1 is SO much better than the theatrical.

I have both versions I always watch the Extended there are some great sequences, no idea why they were cut from the theatrical version. The build up to and including the train sequence is incredible, Spiderman at its best.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just finished viewing The Phantom Thread. Very impressive film and the first I've watched with Daniel Day Lewis. Vicky Krieps is outstanding.

I'm not sure if it's an affirmation of gender stereotypes (which may not go down well with the SJWs) or not, but it's definitely a very well made complex tale of love and all of its ups and downs.

Obsession, dominance, submission, masculinity, femininity, manipulation etc. are all delicately illustrated.

Spellbinding, ethereal and captivating, with lush cinematography and periodic scenery, I found myself entirely engrossed from the start.

Recommended and I wouldn't have a problem if this won tonight. Johnny Greenwood's score is first class.

Great film there. Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius filmmaker.

Inception (2010). Not an all-time favorite for me, but a very good film nonetheless. Good acting, story, music, action, etc. Obviously a Nolan classic.
    The Shape Of Water

I liked this but I didn't love it like I thought I would. Reminded me of the work of Jean-Pierre Jeunet in its mood and cinematography.

Sally Hawkins is amazing in this and Michael Shannon plays one of the most vile characters ever put on film. Some strong violence and surprisingly graphic sex scenes make this a real oddity.

Well it's just won best picture. I agree, good, but it's no masterpiece!
    I said that too about the films of Jeunet!
    Similar visuals (whatever happened to him? Like a lot of his work though Alien: Ressurection has faults!)
    Sally Hawkins is wonderful though!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Shape Of Water

Well it's just won best picture. I agree, good, but it's no masterpiece!
    I said that too about the films of Jeunet!
    Similar visuals (whatever happened to him? Like a lot of his work though Alien: Ressurection has faults!)
    Sally Hawkins is wonderful though!

Yeah, completely agree. Sally's apartment in the film was pure Jeunet.

It was a nice reworking of the Beauty and the Beast type tale but it was no masterpiece.

Worth seeing at least once.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I saw two 2015 entries over the weekend which I had somehow missed on first run. Both were pretty good.

Creed
    abN0tjT.jpg
    I had avoided this film initially despite being a huge fan of the original Rocky run. Sadly, Rocky 5, which I finally saw in the early 00s, left a stench which was difficult to wash away. Well, this one wasn't too bad. I'm a big Tessa Thomson fan and she was impressive as always here. Not too keen on this Michael B. Jordan chap who was the lead though. I saw him in Black Panther recently and thought he was a bore there. He's certainly better in this film, but I didn't connect with him in the manner which I did Rocky, Apollo or Clubber from the original series. A bit one note imho. Having said that, he's serviceable. Stallone was marvelous in this though - what a performance from him. The underdog story of the original film is revisited here with a nice twist. I think it needed a better score though - there's nothing here which grabs like Conti's work. The final fight also lacks something in comparison to the old films. I still recommend this film. It has the classic 'Rocky heart' beating through its veins and captures the spirit of the original.

San Andreas
    OOKsSeF.jpg
    Two 00's disaster PoS's (The Day after Tomorrow and 2012) sadly had turned me off the genre. So when this came out I missed it. Fortunately, last year's Geostorm recently rekindled my enthusiasm for large scale cataclysmic event flicks and I'm glad I finally checked this out. It's pretty standard genre fare, but is elevated somewhat by a decent performance from The Rock. Also, Alexandra Daddario is in it. That pretty much clinched the deal. Well worth your time if you like mindless explosive fun.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Seeing some of those Oscar montages online really has me in the mood for a good film. Think I'm going to catch up on a lot of these nominees/winners I missed over the next couple of weeks, and some classics I've never seen too for good measure.
    Inception (2010). Not an all-time favorite for me, but a very good film nonetheless. Good acting, story, music, action, etc. Obviously a Nolan classic.

I was dissapointed the first time i saw it, but the second time i loved it.
    It is arguably the most popular movie of the 2010's, a modern classic.
    Saw this last night.

Very involving with a good narrative and excellent performances all round :

518bG5HolPL._SY445_.jpg

I agree repeat viewings are the best for that one. Second watch was probably my favorite. I believe last night was my third (better than the first, not quite as good as the second).

I agree repeat viewings are the best for that one. Second watch was probably my favorite. I believe last night was my third (better than the first, not quite as good as the second).

And Tom Hardy is very posh and 'Bondian' in it,for me.

• edited March 2018 Posts: 5,819
    Black Panther

Really a great movie, with lots to enjoy, especially in terms of casting. I enjoyed Letitia Wright and Winston Duke, for eample. Glad also to see the two Tolkien White Guys (and know at least what Andy Serkis really looks like when he's not doing CGI). Plus great action scenes, and nice uses of brick jokes (the rhino was my favourite). In short, worth the 11.50 € I paid.

Forgot one thing : given that Disney owns Marvel, it was quite funny to see a character named Zuri in that movie, even if he was not played by Skai Jackson :>

My favorite scene and music from Inception. Always get a kick out of the car door hit near the end.

My favorite scene and music from Inception. Always get a kick out of the car door hit near the end.

Looking at that scene, Hardy could be Bond. Unlikely, but better than most suggestions.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Just watched Spider-Man 3.... completed the trilogy in three nights. My final review of them all will certainly not please most...
    Spider-Man- 9
    Spider-Man 2- 8
    Spider-Man 3- 9
    Sorry, I'm a comics Spidey fan from the 70's, but the third movie incorporated Venom (80's/90's nonsense as far as I'm concerned) better than I could have hoped. This movie is still an under-rated classic. And a fitting end to Raimi's trilogy.
    Screenrant agrees...
    https://screenrant.com/spider-man-3-underrated/
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,812
    The Mountain Between Us
    Overall not a bad film. The last ten minutes are sort of out of no where and a bit unnecessary. The whole time you think you're watching a movie about survival, but no, the ending confirms you're watching a love story.

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight
    Surprisingly good! I really liked this Batman universe set in the Victorian age. Batman vs Jack the Ripper. It kept me guessing who Jack the Ripper was the entire time.

Annihilation
    I haven't been to the theaters since December, when I saw The Last Jedi, and thought it was time I went out and saw something. I've been wanting to see Black Panther for a while now but every time I try to check it out it's packed. So I looked at some other films. Annihilation caught my attention. When I found out Alex Garland was attached I immediately decided I was seeing this. Plus, it has Natalie Portman and Oscar Issac.
    It's a really great movie. The pacing is slow, however, it's perfect. The vibe of this movie reminded me quite a bit of Arrival. So if you're looking for an action or a horror movie, this isn't it. This is a thought provoking film and it's well worth checking out.

The Cloverfield Paradox
    Coming off the high of Annihilation I was still in the mood for sci-fi. I decided to check out The Cloverfield Paradox. It's good but it doesn't answer any questions. I heard a rumor that there are two more Cloverfield movies being made. One or both of them are suppose to be out sometime this year.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Just watched Spider-Man 3.... completed the trilogy in three nights. My final review of them all will certainly not please most...
    Spider-Man- 9
    Spider-Man 2- 8
    Spider-Man 3- 9
    Sorry, I'm a comics Spidey fan from the 70's, but the third movie incorporated Venom (80's/90's nonsense as far as I'm concerned) better than I could have hoped. This movie is still an under-rated classic. And a fitting end to Raimi's trilogy.
    Screenrant agrees...
    https://screenrant.com/spider-man-3-underrated/

Funnily enough I had a craving to watch these films as it had been maybe 5 years since I had seen them and man are they awesome. The character building is unparalleled in any other super hero film to date