Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Some good advice on 4K, and for physical copy film enthusiasts.

Does anyone watch 3D films on their TV at home ?
    Any good or still rubbish ?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Why would I want 3D at home? I will go to a theme park if I want that rubbish.

If I want to watch a painting, I'm not expecting a sculpture either.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Never really understood the superhero craze. Sure they are passable entertainment but rarely anyhthing more. Maybe it’s because I grew up with considerably less agressive comics from Europe, like Asterix or Tintin, but I have a hard time caring for the Supermans, the Hulks or most of the others. Also those battles in say The Avengers seem to go on forever, up to the point I lose interest.

I think Burton’s and Nolan’s first two Batman flicks are an exception to that rule. And I also like period pieces The Rocketeer and the first Captain America more than the others. Maybe Downey Jr.’s Iron Man can be an exception too, but that’s as far as I can go.

Asterix is not aggressive? :D
    Asterix-punch.png

I grew up with European comics too, and the only superhero comic I read regularly growing up, was The Phantom. But, even though it was originally created by American Lee Falk, many of the stories in the comic books were written and illustrated by Europeans. This is possibly the reason why I never understood the superhero craze, either.

Well the ‘violence’ in Asterix is played for laughs, there are no endless action scenes of unstoppable killing machines.

But anyway, glad I’m not alone on this ;). Tonight I’m going to watch Spielberg’s Tintin ;)
    Never really understood the superhero craze. Sure they are passable entertainment but rarely anyhthing more. Maybe it’s because I grew up with considerably less agressive comics from Europe, like Asterix or Tintin, but I have a hard time caring for the Supermans, the Hulks or most of the others. Also those battles in say The Avengers seem to go on forever, up to the point I lose interest.

I think Burton’s and Nolan’s first two Batman flicks are an exception to that rule. And I also like period pieces The Rocketeer and the first Captain America more than the others. Maybe Downey Jr.’s Iron Man can be an exception too, but that’s as far as I can go.

Asterix-punch.png

I grew up with European comics too, and the only superhero comic I read regularly growing up, was The Phantom. But, even though it was originally created by American Lee Falk, many of the stories in the comic books were written and illustrated by Europeans. This is possibly the reason why I never understood the superhero craze, either.

Well the ‘violence’ in Asterix is played for laughs, there are no endless action scenes of unstoppable killing machines.

But anyway, glad I’m not alone on this ;). Tonight I’m going to watch Spielberg’s Tintin ;)

That's true, haha!
    Never seen Spielberg's Tintin. Recommended?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Annihilation

Weird. Also kinda crap. But most of all weird. You won't understand my loss for words unless you see it.
    I was planning to see this but will give it a miss. I was 50:50 because the trailers looked a bit naff and it seemed like a 'girl power' flick.

@bondjames Annihilation definitely is quite naff at times and any good concepts the film puts forward seem to have been borrowed (read stolen) from the Alien franchise.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that one set at the end bears an undeniable semblance to the interior of the alien spacecraft in Alien. There are other examples, perhaps more or less subtle, that would require spoilers.

Many parts of the movie feel very rushed and a great deal of the plot goes unexplained (beyond the point of being mysterious but rather leaving you hanging).

I was pleasantly surprised that the "girl power" element was far more subdued than I had expected.

My biggest concern is that I still have no good reason why they didn't wear hazmat suits into the Shimmer, especially considering they were well aware of its effects on living things. They even wore hazmat gear when dealing with things that came out of the Shimmer, but didn't bother wearing it inside?!?
    Thanks @BMW_with_missiles. The special effects seemed a bit off too, so while I might still catch it in the theatre, it's more likely I'll wait for home video. Red Sparrow and Game Night beckon first.

Asterix-punch.png

That's true, haha!
    I certainly liked it, and I'm a big fan of the comics.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Batman: The Killing Joke (2016). Underrated. Average first third, terrific last two thirds.

I have the special edition Joker Figure boxset, minus the unnecessary prologue it's good.

It’s great. It’s an extremely faithful adaptation of my favorite comic book with the best Batman (Conroy) and Joker (Hamill) - what I wanted. The prologue isn’t great, but it’s overhated.

I always fast forward the prologue, the two voice actors are legendary.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,297
    Annihilation

Weird. Also kinda crap. But most of all weird. You won't understand my loss for words unless you see it.
    I was planning to see this but will give it a miss. I was 50:50 because the trailers looked a bit naff and it seemed like a 'girl power' flick.

@bondjames Annihilation definitely is quite naff at times and any good concepts the film puts forward seem to have been borrowed (read stolen) from the Alien franchise.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that one set at the end bears an undeniable semblance to the interior of the alien spacecraft in Alien. There are other examples, perhaps more or less subtle, that would require spoilers.

Many parts of the movie feel very rushed and a great deal of the plot goes unexplained (beyond the point of being mysterious but rather leaving you hanging).

I was pleasantly surprised that the "girl power" element was far more subdued than I had expected.

My biggest concern is that I still have no good reason why they didn't wear hazmat suits into the Shimmer, especially considering they were well aware of its effects on living things. They even wore hazmat gear when dealing with things that came out of the Shimmer, but didn't bother wearing it inside?!?
    Thanks @BMW_with_missiles. The special effects seemed a bit off too, so while I might still catch it in the theatre, it's more likely I'll wait for home video. Red Sparrow and Game Night beckon first.

Asterix-punch.png

That's true, haha!
    I certainly liked it, and I'm a big fan of the comics.

Sounds like a film worth checking out then! Have been hesitant to watch it, as it looked like a completely different thing, based on a few clips.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's been a while since I saw it @Torgeirtrap so my memory is hazy, but I remember hoping that a sequel would be forthcoming shortly.

Alas, it doesn't appear likely at this point.
    It's been a while since I saw it @Torgeirtrap so my memory is hazy, but I remember hoping that a sequel would be forthcoming shortly.

Alas, it doesn't appear likely at this point.

Never heard about a Tintin sequel, but it could be interesting to see - if the first one is worth a watch, as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Spielberg Tintin is the best.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I think the early Franco-Canadian animated show was better, but the Spielberg one is certainly amusing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think the early Franco-Canadian animated show was better, but the Spielberg one is certainly amusing.

Both great I have the film and all the episodes.

I grew up watching The Adventures of Tintin as a kid. Scared the shit out of me, as the tone was much darker than the usual animated Disney stuff.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Saw another film from last year, I have to update my Best of of 2017 list:

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    2. THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Baker)
    3. GOOD TIME (B. Safdie, J. Safdie)
    4. THE SHAPE OF WATER (del Toro)
    5. THOR: RAGNAROK (Waititi)
    6. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    7. GET OUT (Peele)

Interesting addition; haven’t seen it yet. One thing I find interesting about your list is that I remember you saying you weren’t a big Nolan fan, but Dunkirk seemed to impress a lot. Why do you think it was an exception for you?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    6. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    7. GET OUT (Peele)
    @Birdleson Out of curiosity, have you gotten a chance to see Blade Runner 2049?
    It was gimmick free, it lacked pretention (well, in comparison) and it was grounded in more than the faux gravity of most of his work. I do think that he is very talented, and I have liked several of his films, but there is an unpleasant air of self-importance which I find prevalent in all of his work, with the exception of DUNKIRK.

@Birdleson I see. May I ask what your other favorites and least favorites of Nolan’s are?
    Interesting. Mine now goes:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. Dunkirk
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Memento (enjoyed a rise lately)
    7. Interstellar
    8. Inception

9. Insomnia
    10. Following
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    6. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    7. GET OUT (Peele)
    @Birdleson Out of curiosity, have you gotten a chance to see Blade Runner 2049?

No. I certainly loved the original, which is why I'm hesitant to watch this latest.
    I think you'll enjoy it. Without spoiling anything, it does nothing to taint the original's legacy, all the while working as an impressive achievement on its own. By far my favorite of last year, and of Villeneuve's works as well. I would check it out.
    I was so against a sequel to BR when I first heard about it, but love what they managed to pull off with BR 2049. Exceeded my expectations so much. Not better than the original, but a brilliant companion piece.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Batman: The Killing Joke (2016). Underrated. Average first third, terrific last two thirds.

The parts that actually adapted the graphoc novel were exceptional, but the first almost half was disgusting, disjointed and effectively purposeless. It did more to make me want
    Barbara to get shot
    than to actually add anything to the story.
    Magnolia (1999). First PTA film I've seen that I wasn't a big fan of. I didn't hate it or anything, but I did expect to enjoy it a little more.
    Interesting. Mine now goes:

I had forgotten INSOMNIA, I added it above (I preferred the original).

Following and Insomnia were okay, but the only two Nolan films I don’t own on DVD. Memento was definitely his best early work, and it has grown on me a lot. The Dark Knight is my favorite movie ever so that’s a big deal.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    man Nolan is a fantastic film maker.

1. Interstellar
    2. Memento
    3. Dunkirk
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Inception
    6. Batman Begins
    7. Insomnia
    8. The Dark Knight Rises
    man Nolan is a fantastic film maker.

1. Interstellar
    2. Memento
    3. Dunkirk
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Inception
    6. Batman Begins
    7. Insomnia
    8. The Dark Knight Rises

Haven’t seen Following or The Prestige?

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @FoxRox
    Haven’t seen following and never bothered to see prestige because I had it spoiled for me then never had the interest in it.
    Too bad. I liked The Prestige an awful lot.
    Bastille Day (2016)

Pretty disappointing film. Could have been better.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,874
    Django, Prepare a Coffin (1968) dir. Ferdinando Baldi. Arrow Video blu-ray.
    Terrence Hill taking over the role of the titular anti-hero from Franco Nero, mainly due to their uncanny resemblance. A thoroughly watchable spaghetti western if not in the top tier of that genre.
    Terrence Hill taking over the role of the titular anti-hero from Franco Nero, mainly due to their uncanny resemblance. A thoroughly watchable spaghetti western if not in the top tier of that genre.
    Spaghetti western is a genre I should have seen more of. Outside the Dollars Trilogy, I have only seen the Trinity films and Once Upon a Time in the West.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    +1. A spectacular Spaghetti Western.