Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Annihilation

Weird. Also kinda crap. But most of all weird. You won't understand my loss for words unless you see it.

That bad, ehh? Reviews seemed quite favorable, but it's not making any sort of dent at the box office. I wonder if it has to do with the Netflix deal, given that it'll be on Netflix internationally in, what, two weeks now? Can't blame people for not rushing out to pay to see it when they can catch it from the comfort of their home.

I won't be surprised if this is the state of moviegoing in a decade or two, max, or at least a consistent option. I can see Netflix and other platforms eventually shelling out to make deals like this, inevitably offering movies the day of their theatrical release.

Sky have done a similar thing with that Bruce Lee film and Monster Family,i think its called.
    The day they came out in the cinema,they were also released on Sky Cinema the same day.

I know the aforementioned deal I brought up affects Netflix globally, sans the United States for some reason. Guess it's just part of the deal.

That new Shaft film is going to have the same deal: releases in theaters, drops internationally on Netflix just two or three weeks after release everywhere except for the U.S.

This cant be doing the cinemas any good.

The cinemas are getting bullied by Disney these days.

I think everyone is !
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Strog wrote: »
    Oh, will it be on Netflix release soon even in the US? I had heard about the international distribution deal.

I'll still probably go to theater to see it. I don't mind putting money towards auteur-driven studio projects when I think they look interesting. Not that it'll help, though. They seem to be doing less than well at the moment.

I don't believe it's part of the deal. It may make its way there eventually, but not anytime soon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Disney is actually good for the theatre business. They are one of the studios that can consistently get buttocks (of all ages and genders) in seats. The others are hit and miss. Regarding the quick move to streaming: this is definitely the future, and I'm reasonably certain that is a factor in the ongoing Bond distribution deal discussions as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Southland Tales I watch this once every year, there is alot going on in this loose interpretation of the Book of Revelations it's not for everyone though I love the movie.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    Last night I saw ODD MAN OUT (1947), directed by Carol Reed. It was excellent. Tense and atmospheric. Has a tiny bit of a Dubliners quality about it, the manner it weaves through a city full of characters, though it is set in Northern Ireland. I might even prefer this to THE THRID MAN, but I'd have to watch it again as I haven't seen it in some time.

Carol Reed doesn't disappoint. You should see OUR MAN IN HAVANA (1959) (you probably already have), where once again we have Carol Reed directing a Graham Greene story. Starring the great Alec Guinness.
    I haven't actually! I've been missing out on Reed. Prior to last evening, THE THIRD MAN and OLIVER! were the only of his films I'd seen. Figured THE FALLEN IDOL was the next to take in, so I added it into my Netflix queue earlier, but now I'll make sure to do the same for OUR MAN IN HAVANA.
    THE HOT ROCK. (1972)
    I always enjoy heist movies and this is one of the most enjoyable. Based on a Donald Westlake novel (who did an original draft of TND if I recall?)
    Robert Redford and George Segal are the crooks who attempt to rob a diamond and are thwarted in every way having originally planned and executed the robbery. Very funny and with a great cast (the legendary Zero Mostel has a great part) and it has a great score by Quincy Jones. They don't make enough heist movies these days imho.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,000
    bondjames wrote: »
    Annihilation

Weird. Also kinda crap. But most of all weird. You won't understand my loss for words unless you see it.
    I was planning to see this but will give it a miss. I was 50:50 because the trailers looked a bit naff and it seemed like a 'girl power' flick.

@bondjames Annihilation definitely is quite naff at times and any good concepts the film puts forward seem to have been borrowed (read stolen) from the Alien franchise.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that one set at the end bears an undeniable semblance to the interior of the alien spacecraft in Alien. There are other examples, perhaps more or less subtle, that would require spoilers.

Many parts of the movie feel very rushed and a great deal of the plot goes unexplained (beyond the point of being mysterious but rather leaving you hanging).

I was pleasantly surprised that the "girl power" element was far more subdued than I had expected.

My biggest concern is that I still have no good reason why they didn't wear hazmat suits into the Shimmer, especially considering they were well aware of its effects on living things. They even wore hazmat gear when dealing with things that came out of the Shimmer, but didn't bother wearing it inside?!?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Wonder Woman I love this film because it's honest.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

And that makes it in my top 5 of all time.
    Wow. That good?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,401
    chrisisall wrote: »

And that makes it in my top 5 of all time.

It's a raw film it's better than any MCU film, I care about the characters in WW
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Wow. That good?

I love this movie though I am a DC fan, the film does have heart.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow. That good?

A Top 5 superhero... in my top 15 overall I suspect.
    Still need to see it.
    Still need to see it.

Top three with Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk from 2017.
    It, BR 2049, and Shape of Water are mine.
    It, BR 2049, and Shape of Water are mine.

Not watched IT or Shape of Water yet, the latter I am looking forward to watching.
    There’s many I liked from the year but those are at the top.
    2017 was a good year at least two of the best films of the century IMO in respective genres.
    BvS one of the greatest Superhero films of all times.

I disagree but okay.

I disagree but okay.

When it's good it's great, though the film has issues.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,273

I disagree but okay.

When it's good it's great, though the film has issues.

I didn’t like much at all I’m afraid. My favorite comic book films would include:

-The Dark Knight Trilogy
    -Batman ‘89
    -Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    -Spider-Man Trilogy (Sam Raimi)
    -Superman
    -Superman II
    -Hellboy
    -Deadpool
    -Logan
    -Iron Man
    -Black Panther
    -Thor
    -The Crow
    -The Mask
    -Unbreakable
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Never really understood the superhero craze. Sure they are passable entertainment but rarely anyhthing more. Maybe it’s because I grew up with considerably less agressive comics from Europe, like Asterix or Tintin, but I have a hard time caring for the Supermans, the Hulks or most of the others. Also those battles in say The Avengers seem to go on forever, up to the point I lose interest.

I think Burton’s and Nolan’s first two Batman flicks are an exception to that rule. And I also like period pieces The Rocketeer and the first Captain America more than the others. Maybe Downey Jr.’s Iron Man can be an exception too, but that’s as far as I can go.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I recently re-watched The Sign of Four (1987)
    sign4.jpg
    Thumbs way up! I'm a big fan of the Brett Sherlock series. I think the last episode I watched was The Norwood Builder. Another favorite is The Blue Carbuncle...but there are so many others too. While I still like some of the earlier Cumberbatch Sherlock episodes, I'm much more likely to go for the Brett ones. I should watch The Sign of Four again myself.

Some good advice on 4K, and for physical copy film enthusiasts.
    Batman: The Killing Joke (2016). Underrated. Average first third, terrific last two thirds.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Thumbs way up! I'm a big fan of the Brett Sherlock series. I think the last episode I watched was The Norwood Builder. Another favorite is The Blue Carbuncle...but there are so many others too. While I still like some of the earlier Cumberbatch Sherlock episodes, I'm much more likely to go for the Brett ones. I should watch The Sign of Four again myself.

Brett is definitely my preferred Sherlock, and the episodes you listed are excellent. "The Blue Carbuncle" is especially wonderful and should be played every year at Christmastime! The Blu-Ray version of The Sign of Four can be found in the two-disc Sherlock Holmes Feature Film Collection.
    I will soon be re-watching the comparatively disappointing Brett version of The Hound of the Baskervilles as well, along with five other versions of the tale. My comments on them will appear here in a few days...

Batman: The Killing Joke (2016). Underrated. Average first third, terrific last two thirds.

I have the special edition Joker Figure boxset, minus the unnecessary prologue it's good.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,297
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Never really understood the superhero craze. Sure they are passable entertainment but rarely anyhthing more. Maybe it’s because I grew up with considerably less agressive comics from Europe, like Asterix or Tintin, but I have a hard time caring for the Supermans, the Hulks or most of the others. Also those battles in say The Avengers seem to go on forever, up to the point I lose interest.

I think Burton’s and Nolan’s first two Batman flicks are an exception to that rule. And I also like period pieces The Rocketeer and the first Captain America more than the others. Maybe Downey Jr.’s Iron Man can be an exception too, but that’s as far as I can go.

Asterix is not aggressive? :D
    Asterix-punch.png

I grew up with European comics too, and the only superhero comic I read regularly growing up, was The Phantom. But, even though it was originally created by American Lee Falk, many of the stories in the comic books were written and illustrated by Europeans. This is possibly the reason why I never understood the superhero craze, either.

I have the special edition Joker Figure boxset, minus the unnecessary prologue it's good.

It’s great. It’s an extremely faithful adaptation of my favorite comic book with the best Batman (Conroy) and Joker (Hamill) - what I wanted. The prologue isn’t great, but it’s overhated.